VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 9th/Dec/2020

Does the new update requires new settings to archive optimal performance? I am using a slightly overclocked GTX-1070ti with the Valve Index and struggling to find the optimal settings… I am confused about the new AA options, if they are still needed if I use Super Sampling on SteamVR, etc.

• Like 1
On 6/12/2019 at 7:19 PM, Alonzo said:

Oculus users currently enjoy ASW 2.0 which uses the depth buffer to help understand the scene and smooth things further.

I have a Rift S and don't see any possibility to use ASW 2.0. Can you explain how to do it?

45 minutes ago, Blue_Bear said:

I have a Rift S and don't see any possibility to use ASW 2.0. Can you explain how to do it?

Your asking this is several places, see here:

1362499424_Sinttulo-1.thumb.jpg.d992fd07cbeed2194a150b3b76bc8db3.jpg

171879611_Sinttulo-0.thumb.jpg.19224e6feee06f9a44f351d6e7381466.jpg

gpu.gif.c08d82b45d75d3bdfe1bee3eb924b8ab.gif in summer time! 😅

1466773900_Sinttulo-2.jpg.108cc638237989359371a9509da17998.jpg

GPU: RTX 2080Ti

CPU: I7 9700K 4,9Mhz

RAM: 32 GB

HMD: Samsung Odisey +

SS: 182% Steam VR

fps: mostly 90 , occasional drops to 85 or 75 with a lot of load near gound.

startup.cfg

[KEY = graphics]
    3dhud = 0
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    canopy_ref = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 4096
    draw_distance = 0.54500
    far_blocks = 1
    fps_counter = 1
    fps_limit = 0
    full_height = 1080
    full_width = 1920
    fullscreen = 0
    gamma = 0.80000
    grass_distance = 100.00000
    hdr_enable = 1
    land_anisotropy = 2
    land_tex_lods = 2
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 2
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    mirrors = 1
    msaa = 1
    multisampling = 1
    or_ca = 0.01143
    or_dummy = 0
    or_enable = 1
    or_height = 2440
    or_hud_rad = 0.70000
    or_hud_size = 1.00000
    or_ipd = 0.06070
    or_sipdc = -0.00000
    or_width = 1952
    post_sharpen = 1
    preset = 1
    prop_blur_max_rpm_for_vr = -1
    rescale_target = 1.00000
    shadows_quality = 2
    ssao_enable = 0
    stereo_dof = 5.00000
    vsync = 0
    win_height = 480
    win_width = 640

Edited by Ala13_armanGT_VR
  • Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi peregrine7 x i see your post about using JoyToKey and am wondering if this can be used to bind the key on the vr oculus right hand controller to either keyboard or joystick to use the pass through of the headset when in game?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm new to VR in IL2, but I've got a quite strange behaviour. With a 970K+RTX2080+RiftS and OpenConmposite, I tried all setting max out and with ingame framecounter I've got a steady 40 (with a lower number 90, the max possibile?): it seems quite good, very fluid at low leve flight, but with some stutters, expecially observing other aircrafts. Reducing setting to medium, I've got about 75, but I did not notice any improvement at low level flight, with still some stuttering at higher altitude/observing aircrafts. So, reducing details seems not provide any significat improvement of performance on my system

Some tips to solve? Or it is "nomal"?

Thanks.

44 minutes ago, I./SG1.Luvisi said:

I'm new to VR in IL2, but I've got a quite strange behaviour. With a 970K+RTX2080+RiftS and OpenConmposite, I tried all setting max out and with ingame framecounter I've got a steady 40 (with a lower number 90, the max possibile?): it seems quite good, very fluid at low leve flight, but with some stutters, expecially observing other aircrafts. Reducing setting to medium, I've got about 75, but I did not notice any improvement at low level flight, with still some stuttering at higher altitude/observing aircrafts. So, reducing details seems not provide any significat improvement of performance on my system

Some tips to solve? Or it is "nomal"?

Thanks.

The lower number (90) represents your headsets FOV, not max FPS. Rift S with ASW will be either 40 or 80 fps. 80 is no ASW, 40 is with ASW.

I am assuming you are talking 9700k not 970k.

With a decent overclock on the cores, you should be able to run some high graphics just fine.

FPS killers are clouds, shadows, MSAA, and SS. 

Try MSAA x2 and around 1.2 SS. 

Edited by dburne
  • 2 weeks later...

I am running an Index on a 1080TI with i5-66ooK cpu.   I have been spending most of the VR time in Flying Circus and am trying to be more competitive in multiplayer.  Spotting is key and after some tweaking based on comments here, I can spot better than some guys on flat screens but still think my settings may not be the best they can be.   Is the mod that is discussed at the top of this thread still useful after the in-game zoom was updated?  Also,  in regards to zoom - when I toggle it on, distant targets actually appear to get further away even though landscape/ground detail gets zoomed in.   Is this intentional?   Zooming in on closer aircraft works so that I can read markings although this is not easy, primarily because of my own head shake.    Any updated Index tweaks or other suggestions that you folks can share would be very much appreciated. 

Edit: I see that zoom function is apparently working as intended with landscape getting closer but not magnifying aircraft until they are closer. 

Edited by US93_Baker
Found additional info
On 3/3/2020 at 6:58 PM, Rhino-1938 said:

Hello, Well i am having a blast in VR , but i realized i am keyboard deficient (i guess that is PC) otherwise for any keyboard commands i was "VR blind" even though the Rift S has a lookthru feature i could not see the keyboard that well. I knew the layout or pattern of the keystrokes i use, but to locate them with the VR headset on was difficult. I came up with a solution that i am happy with. I had a product i bought a while back from a TV commercial Called "BONDIC" which is a liquid in a pen dispenser that hardens with ultraviolet light which comes in the kit. I placed a drop on each key that i needed while flying and hardened it with the UV light so the keyboard had a bump  "Braille" feature that i could easily find without lifting the headset to find them. I also placed a couple of bumps on the frame of the keyboard as a reference points. This works well for me and i decided to pass it on. Be safe

I use thick super glue

On 9/7/2020 at 3:32 AM, US93_Baker said:

I am running an Index on a 1080TI with i5-66ooK cpu.   I have been spending most of the VR time in Flying Circus and am trying to be more competitive in multiplayer.  Spotting is key and after some tweaking based on comments here, I can spot better than some guys on flat screens but still think my settings may not be the best they can be.   Is the mod that is discussed at the top of this thread still useful after the in-game zoom was updated?  Also,  in regards to zoom - when I toggle it on, distant targets actually appear to get further away even though landscape/ground detail gets zoomed in.   Is this intentional?   Zooming in on closer aircraft works so that I can read markings although this is not easy, primarily because of my own head shake.    Any updated Index tweaks or other suggestions that you folks can share would be very much appreciated. 

Edit: I see that zoom function is apparently working as intended with landscape getting closer but not magnifying aircraft until they are closer. 

No, no need for 3Dmigoto anymore (in terms of zoom). And using it may now stop you from entering some MP servers. 

In general, ID aircraft based on silhouette not markings. If I need to find a certain friend by his markings I fly closer, it's just not worth using zoom for that (with the Rift CV1 though, so I'm basically blind compared to you!)

I think the zoom making distant aircraft appear further away was either an optical illusion or a product of the spotting system and may have changed as of the latest patch.

• 2 weeks later...

I havent been able to play for the last couple months but I think I've never felt this warp while playing in MP? whenever I bank the "screen" looks like its goin on 20 fps but I have 50+ fps. In singleplayer not as noticeble issue (well its a little bit if a look sideways while banking)

Edited by t-stoff
On 9/18/2020 at 1:46 AM, peregrine7 said:

"No, no need for 3Dmigoto anymore (in terms of zoom). And using it may now stop you from entering some MP servers. 

In general, ID aircraft based on silhouette not markings. If I need to find a certain friend by his markings I fly closer, it's just not worth using zoom for that (with the Rift CV1 though, so I'm basically blind compared to you!)

I think the zoom making distant aircraft appear further away was either an optical illusion or a product of the spotting system and may have changed as of the latest patch.

Hey - thanks for the reply.   I have to say to anyone that is stumbling upon this thread and may be new to multiplayer - hang in there!  The learning curve to fly these crates is really not that steep.  Its everything else that takes patience and practice!  SA, energy management, marksmanship, navigation, timing of coordinated attacks - you can devote countless hours to see improvement but you will see improvement!

S!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

No issue at all, even when located on the wings like in some of the ww1 birds.  Make sure that you set up the command Maximum Zoom which is a hold toggle zoom for VR, and set Sharpen in your graphic settings to maximum.

On 7/13/2020 at 11:36 AM, Lawheadrg said:

Where is the VR zoom(hold) option. I think I’ve look at all the options in settings? Is it in the pilot’s view option?

I came here trying to figure out the same thing.  You're looking for the command Quick Zoom: Maximum under pilot head controls on the key bindings menu.  You do not need to set a minimum zoom key as this is a hold toggle binding.  As soon as you let go your view returns to normal.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone sorted out a way to hold the zoom in vr. 

This has become more relevant when playing tanks for example and I am in the gun sight view.

I don't want to have to hold the zoom hat on my joystick AND try and swivel the barrel. It works fine in TIR, I can use the zoom in and out, which stays at the level required, but in VR it is a let go and it returns to normal?

Any advice / suggestions would be welcome, otherwise I think I will have to go back to TIR for tank driving (I will still use VR for flying)

Regards

Friar

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help, i've recently started playing il2 again after a long absence but now with a HP Reverb G2. I used to have an Oculus Rift CV1 which worked pretty well.

VR quality and framerates have been great, but some how today the generic controller settings in steam changed and in the process of getting them working again I've had to reset all my controls again  (why is there not a load /save feature??). In the process of doing that I also noticed that my head position in VR seems to be locked (it was ok last time I played). If I move my head side to side or fwd/back the entire cockpit moves with me rather than being able to move my head around the cockpit. With the old rift all I had for setup for view controls was one for re-centering the view, external view, flyby and zoom and thats all i needed but looking at the menu now there are now a load of controls for setting camera positions etc!

Any ideas for what may be up??

Thanks in advance!    

@sydale1972 when I have had this happen a few times I have had to disconnect my Reverb G2 from my computer to get the head tracking working again. @JimmySolarium may be on to something, though in my own case I didn’t change any lighting - unplugging and re-plugging my G2 fixed the issue, though of course, means you have to restart the game. I am now in the habit upon my first spawning of moving my head right up to the gun sight to see if the cockpit moves away from me. If it does then I know I have to restart my G2

Edited by Charlo-VR
Spelling
7 hours ago, sydale1972 said:

I need some help, i've recently started playing il2 again after a long absence but now with a HP Reverb G2. I used to have an Oculus Rift CV1 which worked pretty well.

VR quality and framerates have been great, but some how today the generic controller settings in steam changed and in the process of getting them working again I've had to reset all my controls again  (why is there not a load /save feature??). In the process of doing that I also noticed that my head position in VR seems to be locked (it was ok last time I played). If I move my head side to side or fwd/back the entire cockpit moves with me rather than being able to move my head around the cockpit. With the old rift all I had for setup for view controls was one for re-centering the view, external view, flyby and zoom and thats all i needed but looking at the menu now there are now a load of controls for setting camera positions etc!

Thanks in advance!    

I've had this and I put such issues down to glitches. Rebooting the PC fixed it. The WMR software is the culprit in my opinion and I can't wait for somebody out there to offer a way to disable the 'cliffhouse' and all its associated shite.

Edited by JG51-Hetzer

Thanks everyone for all the responses. Rebooting didn't change anything, I then tried increasing the light as the lights were fairly dimmed last night but that didn't change anything either. I then thought to look at some of the WMR settings, and selected the motion reprojection setting with motion vector selected. After that it seemed to work. Now it could be due to the change in settings or another startup of WMR but it seemed to work at least!!

• Like 1

I think I had a similar issue going form a CV1 to a G2.

I found a fix on here for G2 users which removed the fisheye, out of focus look in menus and game.

Go into the WMR Headset settings (Win10 settings option) and change the Expereince Option from "optimise for performance" to "Best visual quality"

Screenshot 2020-12-29 162351.jpg

• Upvote 1
On 1/1/2021 at 10:06 PM, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Is there any workaround for the planes which flicker? Sometimes it feels that planes dissappear and reappear. 

I have noticed this too, there is no way to fix it without introducing blur (from additional supersampling). I think it may be from the LOD-enlargement not taking into account the variable pixel-density in VR.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 8:26 PM, sydale1972 said:

Thanks in advance!    

On 12/22/2020 at 3:36 AM, JG51-Hetzer said:

I've had this and I put such issues down to glitches. Rebooting the PC fixed it. The WMR software is the culprit in my opinion and I can't wait for somebody out there to offer a way to disable the 'cliffhouse' and all its associated shite.

Well it is a WMR issue related to the Cliff House.  What is happening is that you have likely skipped, or not completed, the Cliff House routine of looking left, looking right, and looking down.  This centres the headgear in real space.  Then launch SteamVR for WMR and then iL-2.  You should be able to move your head around the cockpit.  Reboot implicitly works as well only because you probably ended up completing the alignment process.  Just as effective although rebooting requires more cuss words.

40 minutes ago, paul_leonard said:

Well it is a WMR issue related to the Cliff House.  What is happening is that you have likely skipped, or not completed, the Cliff House routine of looking left, looking right, and looking down.  This centres the headgear in real space.  Then launch SteamVR for WMR and then iL-2.  You should be able to move your head around the cockpit.  Reboot implicitly works as well only because you probably ended up completing the alignment process.  Just as effective although rebooting requires more cuss words.

Odd I have never done that, have not had any issue like that with my Reverb G2. In fact I do not even put my headset on until after I have launched the game.

My process is I launch WMR for Steam VR Beta, it launches and also launches Steam VR, then I launch the game.

Edited by dburne
On 1/14/2021 at 10:06 AM, dburne said:

Odd I have never done that, have not had any issue like that with my Reverb G2. In fact I do not even put my headset on until after I have launched the game.

My process is I launch WMR for Steam VR Beta, it launches and also launches Steam VR, then I launch the game.

The process you are describing skips the calibration step. With WMR open (but not SteamVR or the game) you should put on your headset, it will tell you to look around.

6 minutes ago, peregrine7 said:

The process you are describing skips the calibration step. With WMR open (but not SteamVR or the game) you should put on your headset, it will tell you to look around.

Most of the time I just go into WMR home - how do you get that prompt? And does it improve tracking each time it is done?

52 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Most of the time I just go into WMR home - how do you get that prompt? And does it improve tracking each time it is done?

Same here, I just put headset on and off I go. Never had a need to calibrate.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:57 AM, unlikely_spider said:

On 1/18/2021 at 10:57 AM, unlikely_spider said:

It only shows the prompt if it is unsure of the tracking environment (usually because it's darker than usual, or you're sitting up near your PC), but you don't see the prompt if you put the headset on after having already launched steamvr/a game.
So if you get into the game, put on your headset and find your head position is "locked" this is why. 

To fix it, close steamvr (and possibly restart WMR?), either way you'll know it's right because either the prompt will pop up or immediately upon going to WMR cliffhouse positional tracking will start working.

If your tracking is fine regardless, these tips aren't for you. My room can get a bit dark at night and while tracking is fine, it does mean I have to make sure I put the headset on with WMR running before I run the game.

Edited by peregrine7
12 hours ago, GunneryAce said:

Anyone know where I can find recommended Graphics settings for Pimax 8K X. 

I have a 3090/9900KS/32gb@4000 spec'd pc.

pm these guys here at: