VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 9th/Dec/2020

You may as well be writing Chinese. You never mentioned Samsung Odyssey.. I just want a simple answer to my question, like "Do this, then this etc etc" nothing complicated. I'm flying my IL2 BoS in VR fine..I'm using a Thrustmaster Joystick.  I would like to have the switches, canopy etc. clickable with my mouse> How do I do it?

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2019 at 12:10 AM, onlyforbrian said:

You may as well be writing Chinese. You never mentioned Samsung Odyssey.. I just want a simple answer to my question, like "Do this, then this etc etc" nothing complicated. I'm flying my IL2 BoS in VR fine..I'm using a Thrustmaster Joystick.  I would like to have the switches, canopy etc. clickable with my mouse> How do I do it?

BOS stopped that unfortunately. You'll have to go to either IL2 Cliff of Dover but it doesn't support VR or move to DCS where that's its default option.

If you've never tried DCS it jumped into clickable cockpits with both feet, unfortunately you need a NASA machine to run VR well in it.

• Like 1
On 8/5/2019 at 9:39 AM, Gungriffen said:

BOS stopped that unfortunately. You'll have to go to either IL2 Cliff of Dover but it doesn't support VR or move to DCS where that's its default option.

If you've never tried DCS it jumped into clickable cockpits with both feet, unfortunately you need a NASA machine to run VR well in it.

Thanks my friend , you need a NASA machine to run X-plane in VR too if you have lots of custom scenery and ortho4xp 😊👍

Edited by onlyforbrian
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Basically if Steam, it's offices, employers, computers, servers and their pet poodle named Leroy were all on fire I wouldn't pi$$ on them to put them out.

That being said I was thinking about getting an Oculus Rift. But if I have to use steam to use it no f-ing way. I'd rather light my big @ss on fire and run butt nekkid through a tack factory holding hands with that booger eating moron Donnie "Douchbag" Trump singing zipity do da zipity A all the d@mn way. (yes I hate both Steam and Trump that much)

So can the rift run without having to use steam vr?

Or am I just better off going old school and getting a track ir 5 pro?

Edited by [310th]Copperhead
  • Confused 1

You can use OpenComposit to bypass Steam. I don't have a Rift so don't know the details of implementation but I have read that it improves performance.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/71433/openovr-opencomposite-the-tool-youve-been-waiting-for-for-a-stutter-free-experience-in-openvr

Also, you can use Oculus Tray Tool to adjust SS (they call it Pixel Density) and ASW on/off.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

Edited by Gordon200
On 9/3/2019 at 4:19 AM, [310th]Copperhead said:

Basically if Steam, it's offices, employers, computers, servers and their pet poodle named Leroy were all on fire I wouldn't pi$$ on them to put them out.

That being said I was thinking about getting an Oculus Rift. But if I have to use steam to use it no f-ing way. I'd rather light my big @ss on fire and run butt nekkid through a tack factory holding hands with that booger eating moron Donnie "Douchbag" Trump singing zipity do da zipity A all the d@mn way. (yes I hate both Steam and Trump that much)

So can the rift run without having to use steam vr?

Or am I just better off going old school and getting a track ir 5 pro?

i think your anger of Steam is a bit misplaced and try to remember they are people too with all the faults that entails.

But regardless of that, I really recommend VR if your PC is up to it and funds permit.

Track IR *is* good, but for my money VR is the way forward.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, OrLoK said:

i think your anger of Steam is a bit misplaced and try to remember they are people too with all the faults that entails.

But regardless of that, I really recommend VR if your PC is up to it and funds permit.

I use steam for all my games and never had a problem with it. I think he's over-reacting. By the way, I have a Samsung Odyssey WMR VR headset.. VR is the only way to fly IL2 BoS

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 9/4/2019 at 9:15 AM, OrLoK said:

I have a Samsung Odyssey + WMR, and it runs off the Steam VR engine, and personally, I don't have a problem with Steam. My Odyssey runs like a dream on IL2 GB, literally no screen door to speak of, and I'm getting 40-50 fps on my lowly I7-3770, the scenery looks a bit misty but the cockpits are crystal clear. Rifts and Vives here in Canada are $600-700, but I've seen Odysseys going for $299. I missed that sale, still got mine for $399 CDN. 

On 9/3/2019 at 9:21 AM, Gordon200 said:

You can use OpenComposit to bypass Steam. I don't have a Rift so don't know the details of implementation but I have read that it improves performance.

In other games a little, but in this one, performance improvements are huge for me with OpenComposite 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 8:20 AM, lefuneste said:

You do not need steamVR anymore with Pitool beta.

De activate the automatic launch of steamVR in steamVR settings, close steamVR, launch Pitool, launch IL2 => no steamVR process and VR OK. SteamVR layer is emulated by Pitool, image computation are done by pitool. It looks like only steamVR SuperSampling is used to computed target resolution.

It's up to you for SmartSmoothing, a bit smoother but some artifacts. I prefer to be at native fps  (that are ok for my rig) without SS.

Hi Lefuneste.

First thing is a BIG THANKS to you for your great Job doing this sim enjoyable in VR.

The Q: Is it possible to play IL-2 in PiMax with Steam not installed?

I ask because I have deactivated launch SteamVR and it worked, then I unistalled Steam and it doesn´t work anymore.

Thnks.

15(Span.)JG51Costa

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Costa
1 hour ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Costa said:

Hi Lefuneste.

First thing is a BIG THANKS to you for your great Job doing this sim enjoyable in VR.

The Q: Is it possible to play IL-2 in PiMax with Steam not installed?

I ask because I have deactivated launch SteamVR and it worked, then I unistalled Steam and it doesn´t work anymore.

Thnks.

15(Span.)JG51Costa

You can not uninstall steamVR, because it is launched by Pitool when you change some options and, even if Pitool is emulating it, I think that at least some config files included in the distribution are needed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, II./JG77_Kemp said:

Is there a way to decide at game launch, if you want to launch it in VR mode or without VR? I recall that this question was asked before (coconut?) and even answered (Sneaksie?), but can't find it.

The launcher's "Settings" tab includes an option to use VR before you enter the sim itself.

• 1 month later...

Folks

Please excuse my pitiful newbie question in this very inspiring thread but I am stuck at Ground Zero for using VR in Flying Circus.  

I have just bought the download directly from IC Games ( formerly 777 Studios ? ) as they encouraged me to do so  - and I wanted to give them the purchase rather than going thru a re-seller like Steam

Possible Mistake ?

I also just bought Oculus Rift S . It runs just fine when I use their downloaded games so I know that works with my system

Flying Circus runs just fine as a standalone game 

The conundrum is exactly HOW do I get this new hardware and FC software to marry up ?

I cannot find any instructions anywhere so you may be my last hope  

I am truly sorry but I need " VR 101"  for new simmers.

If it is any consolation,  I own a 1940 Tiger Moth that I restored from a wreck and I am building a DR-1 .Full size. From Plans.The Real Deal.

I use the Moth to take Vets and other worthy seniors back into the skies for fundraisers and charity flights.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/366268072

It is a long winter here  in Canada and I need a fix of open cockpit VR to see me thru to next Spring  :)

Thanks for your consideration

BobMurphy123

arobertmurphy@rogers.com

Can you elaborate on what trouble you are having running it with the Rift S?

First in the Oculus Software, make sure you have in the Setting tab under General - " Allow Unknown Sources" toggled on. It is off by default. This needs to be on to allow non-Oculus games to run on the Rift.

Then you will need either Steam VR, or Open composite.

To get Steam VR you will need Steam installed ( just to get Steam VR). Once you have Steam install Steam VR from there.

Enable VR  in the IL-2 Graphics settings.

After that, you do not need to start Steam itself, and Steam VR should start automatically for you when you launch IL-2 as long as VR is checked in the settings.

Alternatively you can use a third party program called Open Composite. It will allow you to switch from Steam VR to Open Composite for running games that require Steam VR.

I use Open Composite myself, and prefer it with my Rift S as it is a leaner program than Steam VR and I get better performance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9nxixe/systemwide_installation_for_opencomposite_released/

Hopefully this will help get you started. If you use Steam VR, I recommend setting resolution in the Steam VR settings to manual and 100%.

Edited by dburne
On 12/27/2019 at 3:34 PM, BobMurphy123 said:

I cannot find any instructions anywhere so you may be my last hope  

I am truly sorry but I need " VR 101"  for new simmers.

If it is any consolation,  I own a 1940 Tiger Moth that I restored from a wreck and I am building a DR-1 .Full size. From Plans.The Real Deal.

I use the Moth to take Vets and other worthy seniors back into the skies for fundraisers and charity flights.

Awesome stuff, the Tiger Moth. I'm jealous!

If you're running the game directly rather than via Steam, you need to go into the Graphics settings and enable the "HMD" option. This will set the game to use a VR headset. I'm assuming this is the problem, that you're not even getting the game to run in the headset yet. If this fixes the problem, please let us know here and we'll have much more advice for optimizing your rig for the Rift S.

OK Good to go .

VR is fantastic but giving me the whirlies after a short while....not like the real thing n that regard 

Obvious;y I need to remap my most useful keys to the throttle base

An odd observation - when I move over in my seat to look down , the side of the cockpit moves away from me . Any thoughts?

Thanks so much. This is a blast  !

On 12/29/2019 at 4:08 PM, BobMurphy123 said:

An odd observation - when I move over in my seat to look down , the side of the cockpit moves away from me . Any thoughts?

Turn off cockpit limitations in difficulty settings. Don't remember how this option is called exactly.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:20 AM, c6_lefuneste said:

You do not need steamVR anymore with Pitool beta.

De activate the automatic launch of steamVR in steamVR settings, close steamVR, launch Pitool, launch IL2 => no steamVR process and VR OK. SteamVR layer is emulated by Pitool, image computation are done by pitool. It looks like only steamVR SuperSampling is used to computed target resolution.

Thank you very much.  Is there any advantage to not launching SteamVR in this way?

Talisman

On 1/8/2020 at 10:58 AM, dburne said:

Make sure vsync or fps limit not checked in the game settings.

will do

Worked. Have higher framerates now. Sadly i sitll experience slight stuttering. Even on berloga. Anyone else?

Edited by Winger

Warning: Dumb question :)

Why is removing the prop disc a sought after feature? I'm pretty new to the game and have been playing in VR, but I haven't experienced any (obvious?) issues with the prop disc so wondering if I'm missing something.

50 minutes ago, maxs said:

Why is removing the prop disc a sought after feature? I'm pretty new to the game and have been playing in VR, but I haven't experienced any (obvious?) issues with the prop disc so wondering if I'm missing something.

I have never had a desire to run with the prop off and never will. That is a good part of the immersion for me, and I have no ill effects from it. I could not imagine not having that big a#% prop spinning in front of me.

Edited by dburne
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, dburne said:

I have never had a desire to run with the prop off and never will. That is a good part of the immersion for me, and I have no ill effects from it. I could not imagine not having that big a#% prop spinning in front of me.

In real life you dont see it 99% of the time.

12 hours ago, dburne said:

I totally agree.  Sometimes in the JU 88 when I am banking, the sun will hit it from behind and it looks fantastic.

On 1/8/2020 at 11:40 PM, maxs said:

Until recently the prop was making awful artifacts when ASW was on on Oculus Rift. So you had the choice between prop and ASW (and living with artifacts).

Now this is solved in the core game engine, so there is no need to remove the prop anymore as far as I know.

Edited by haltux
47 minutes ago, haltux said:

Until recently the prop was making awful artifacts when ASW was on on Oculus Rift. So you had the choice between prop and ASW (and living with artifacts).

Now this is solved in the core game engine, so there is no need to remove the prop anymore as far as I know.

:good:

Correct, works great.

• 3 weeks later...

Now if they would just tell the ground crew to clean the frinkin windows.  please....

JG51_jokkr

On 1/20/2020 at 12:18 PM, c6_lefuneste said:

How do you get ride of the infamous circle ? I managed to do it in the past, but the line to add in steamVR config file seems not working anymore....I only managed to use the gigantic roomspace to remove it, but I have to do that at every  Il2 launch...

When I changed headsets and installed the specific 3Dmigoto to my new headset it was removed. Is there one for pimax'

jokkr

Edited by JG51_jokkr
On 1/20/2020 at 6:18 PM, c6_lefuneste said:

How do you get ride of the infamous circle ? I managed to do it in the past, but the line to add in steamVR config file seems not working anymore....I only managed to use the gigantic roomspace to remove it, but I have to do that at every  Il2 launch...

I have manged to change the colour, using the options, so that is less noticeable.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• 3 weeks later...

I recently started playing with re-projection on, it's helps a lot with poor frame rates on the ground however can make spotting difficult if it comes on in the air as the plane can be doubled.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=228378

You'll probably want to key back out the indicator when you're done setting up your graphics. 

Edited by driftaholic

Hello, Well i am having a blast in VR , but i realized i am keyboard deficient (i guess that is PC) otherwise for any keyboard commands i was "VR blind" even though the Rift S has a lookthru feature i could not see the keyboard that well. I knew the layout or pattern of the keystrokes i use, but to locate them with the VR headset on was difficult. I came up with a solution that i am happy with. I had a product i bought a while back from a TV commercial Called "BONDIC" which is a liquid in a pen dispenser that hardens with ultraviolet light which comes in the kit. I placed a drop on each key that i needed while flying and hardened it with the UV light so the keyboard had a bump  "Braille" feature that i could easily find without lifting the headset to find them. I also placed a couple of bumps on the frame of the keyboard as a reference points. This works well for me and i decided to pass it on. Be safe

• Upvote 3

You might want to try a program called Voice Attack. IMO it's essential for gaming in VR. You can simply assign a key command by speaking a word or phrase and the program does the rest. No hunting for the keyboard. The free version is limited in the number of commands you can use but the paid version is not. You'll constantly come up with new ideas for a voice command! Easily the best $10 I ever spent on a program!

20 hours ago, Rhino-1938 said:

Hello, Well i am having a blast in VR , but i realized i am keyboard deficient (i guess that is PC) otherwise for any keyboard commands i was "VR blind" even though the Rift S has a lookthru feature i could not see the keyboard that well. I knew the layout or pattern of the keystrokes i use, but to locate them with the VR headset on was difficult. I came up with a solution that i am happy with. I had a product i bought a while back from a TV commercial Called "BONDIC" which is a liquid in a pen dispenser that hardens with ultraviolet light which comes in the kit. I placed a drop on each key that i needed while flying and hardened it with the UV light so the keyboard had a bump  "Braille" feature that i could easily find without lifting the headset to find them. I also placed a couple of bumps on the frame of the keyboard as a reference points. This works well for me and i decided to pass it on. Be safe

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
On 3/4/2020 at 3:12 PM, Drano said:

You might want to try a program called Voice Attack. IMO it's essential for gaming in VR. You can simply assign a key command by speaking a word or phrase and the program does the rest. No hunting for the keyboard. The free version is limited in the number of commands you can use but the paid version is not. You'll constantly come up with new ideas for a voice command! Easily the best $10 I ever spent on a program!

This^ Best $10 I ever spent as well!