peregrine7

VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 5th/Jun/18

14 minutes ago, dburne said:

You should be able to play with High clouds setting on your rig.

However what you describe currently not much can be done about. 

thanks, sounds like an issue that is not solvable so I suppose I will revert to my previous settings and live with it.  

Hello, you will mostly solve it with global settings  >=high AND cloud settings >= med.

But I will soon release the 7,0  version of 3dmigoto mod that improve things for settings below that.

On 1/28/2019 at 9:57 AM, lefuneste said:

Hello, you will mostly solve it with global settings  >=high AND cloud settings >= med.

But I will soon release the 7,0  version of 3dmigoto mod that improve things for settings below that.

Thanks I will try that.  I had global settings on low.  What FPS hit is to be expected with upping global to high from low?  

I admittedly thought the global settings were presets for the selectable options but sounds like they are also a variable that is independent from the adjustable settings in the graphics menu? 

8 hours ago, capt_nasties said:

Thanks I will try that.  I had global settings on low.  What FPS hit is to be expected with upping global to high from low?  

I admittedly thought the global settings were presets for the selectable options but sounds like they are also a variable that is independent from the adjustable settings in the graphics menu? 

The preset is independent of the selectable options. It's responsible for rendering quality and the size of the 'bubble' around you. How far you you see higher quality. Going from low to high is probably quite a huge FPS hit. I would estimate around 20-30 FPS without any scientific proof, just by experience. This is how I remember.

Clouds are a problem for sure. I currently use High preset with High clouds because that is the minimum setting on which clouds don't look like sh*t (in the Rift at least). Anything below (either balanced preset with high clouds, or high preset with medium clouds) and the clouds start to look a shimmering low res mess.

Personally I would like to use Balanced preset but can't do that because of the clouds.

Tried out high global + high clouds and my PC could not hack it.  20 to 30 fps hit for sure with my entry level (for vr) set up.  Hoping to build a new PC in 2020

Up until recently I had a very clear Rift VR game ,using either Steam or OTT startup with the usual SDE but nothing out of the ordinary.I combined the tips found here & those found in another set of postings "Copy Paste settings for startup.exe ,Then about two weeks ago after a Steam & Nvidia update my game went a little haywire & I had red warnings all over the starting screen, so i did a uninstall re-install of the sim through Steam.After this i applied the settings found here including the Steam VR settings and revised the startup exe. settings ( although these now occasionally revert to default settings all by themselves...)just as i had done before, but something had changed. The exterior views of the aircraft & other objects were not quite as sharp as they were before.The shadows inside & particularly outside the plane , like wing shadows etc were no longer sharp but now sort of flicker esp in normal views of aircraft.They didn't have the jagged edges we are all familiar with , but they had acquired what I can best describe as a shimmer especially around sunlit highlights ( like wing roots)& straight edges (like the 109 canopy.)Visibility of other target aircraft has also been downgraded several notches. Since then i've  tried about everything to get back to where i was before , but with little luck and probably once or twice made the situation worse by adjusting in game settings ,Steam VR & startup exe.settings so they work at cross purposes.Is there a more or less simple way out of this puzzle- I need some help.Thanks!

Edited by Blitzen
added info

On 2/4/2019 at 10:37 AM, Blitzen said:

Up until recently I had a very clear Rift VR game ,using either Steam or OTT startup with the usual SDE but nothing out of the ordinary.I combined the tips found here & those found in another set of postings "Copy Paste settings for startup.exe ,Then about two weeks ago after a Steam & Nvidia update my game went a little haywire & I had red warnings all over the starting screen, so i did a uninstall re-install of the sim through Steam.After this i applied the settings found here including the Steam VR settings and revised the startup exe. settings ( although these now occasionally revert to default settings all by themselves...)just as i had done before, but something had changed. The exterior views of the aircraft & other objects were not quite as sharp as they were before.The shadows inside & particularly outside the plane , like wing shadows etc were no longer sharp but now sort of flicker esp in normal views of aircraft.They didn't have the jagged edges we are all familiar with , but they had acquired what I can best describe as a shimmer especially around sunlit highlights ( like wing roots)& straight edges (like the 109 canopy.)Visibility of other target aircraft has also been downgraded several notches. Since then i've  tried about everything to get back to where i was before , but with little luck and probably once or twice made the situation worse by adjusting in game settings ,Steam VR & startup exe.settings so they work at cross purposes.Is there a more or less simple way out of this puzzle- I need some help.Thanks!

That's a real shame to hear, sorry you're going through it. My PC is out of action so I can't give you tips for recent patches.

You could try downloading the old Nvidia drivers through the website (doing a proper uninstall, restart, install and cleaning out old driver settings in the process). But the lack of sharpness is concerning, you could uncheck (or check - just try out the other option) "Advanced Filtering" in SteamVR. Turning it on will stop things from looking pixelated at the cost of some sharpness -  it's a user preference kind of thing. With some of the SteamVR patches the supersampling has been made weirder still so experimenting with lowering it can pay off (though it is a hard sacrifice). Lastly, just double check sharpness in game. 

Hope you get it sorted anyway :)

I'll give the old driver a try.do I get rid of only the new driver seen here? never done this before....🤫

nv.jpg

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

I'll give the old driver a try.do I get rid of only the new driver seen here? never done this before....🤫

nv.jpg

Try a clean driver install - latest Nvidia driver should be fine.

Download driver.

Disconnect ethernet cable.

Uninstall Nvidia drivers with DDU in safe mode.

Reboot - ethernet still disconnected.

When at desktop,  install Nvidia driver - select custom install, and only select the Graphics Driver itself and PhysX.

Do not select any of those others, you only want to install the two mentioned.

After installation complete, connect ethernet cable and reboot again for good measure.

Once back at desktop, go into Nvidia Control Panel and set a profile for IL-2 - and select "Prefer Maximum Performance" for the power. By default it will be at optimal, change that. Also check in Windows and insure the Game Bar and everything related to it is disabled.

Hope this helps,

Edited by dburne

Hardware trick. The Oculus Rift cable can fail due to developing a 'kink' in the spot just behind the C-clamp. Here's a rubber support using Sugru moldable glue. Totally worked, and hopefully I won't need to spend $70 on a new cable again in future.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gMeOrod

I think this problem is solved( fingers crossed ) I tried about everything suggested.Fooling with Nvidia settings, Steam VR settings .startup exe. Settings & In-game settings...Yes a sort of blender approach.I had quite got to going back to a previous Nvidia update . Finally I got OTT actually paired up & working -I know because I got the Audio OK. In the past I have occasionally used either Steam to start the sim with Steam VR settings or used the game’s own exe. With the OTT. Anyway after the last juggling of settings I tried just once with OTT at the recommended settings and BOOM big improvement! I can’t tell you why or even how I got an improvement and only hope it doesn’t slip back again but for the time being I’m back in business! Thanks all!

11 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Hardware trick. The Oculus Rift cable can fail due to developing a 'kink' in the spot just behind the C-clamp. Here's a rubber support using Sugru moldable glue. Totally worked, and hopefully I won't need to spend $70 on a new cable again in future.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gMeOrod

Great tip. Thanks for sharing. I had to get the cable replaced once for bending exactly at that place and it's starting to bend again.

This might have come up before, but if you're sick of Oculus Home using 30% GPU and a gig of RAM when you're not actively playing a game, Oculus Homeless could be for you:

Works great for me.

I just checked task manager, home isn't doing anything unless you have teh headset on, when the headset is off no resources are being used.

For what it is worth, two items I linked to key commands which I find extremely useful. Saves some fumbling with the keyboard as it is really easy to find with the hands and frees up two buttons on the joystick...

1. Made left click in VR to auto re-center your view and....

2. Right click with mouse pauses the sim

I also have to side buttons and I’ve got assignments to those too. One is for letting the copilot take over (aka straight and level flight) and the other is for letting him do everything (AI assignment to aircraft). To keep it real I only use the straight and level key assignment if there is a co-pilot onboard and then not often. Think I might re-assign those two side buttons to something else as I don’t find myself using them at all that often. I like to be in charge.

Edited by BornToBattle

2 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

For what it is worth, two items I linked to key commands which I find extremely useful. Saves some fumbling with the keyboard as it is really easy to find with the hands and frees up two buttons on the joystick...

1. Made left click in VR to auto re-center your view and....

2. Right click with mouse pauses the sim

I also have to side buttons and I’ve got assignments to those too. One is for letting the copilot take over (aka straight and level flight) and the other is for letting him do everything (AI assignment to aircraft). To keep it real I only use the straight and level key assignment if there is a co-pilot onboard and then not often. Think I might re-assign those two side buttons to something else as I don’t find myself using them at all that often. I like to be in charge.

I just have recenter and pause bound to my hotas. Works well.

Hello Wolf,

Why would intel but that block AVX instructions on the i7 9700K. I have just purchased this CPU to upgrade for VR. It's not to late for me to cancel the order. Does changing the bios fix the issue?

Thanks for replying.

TWC_Piranha

On 4/6/2019 at 5:16 PM, TWC_Piranha2 said:

Hello Wolf,

Why would intel but that block AVX instructions on the i7 9700K. I have just purchased this CPU to upgrade for VR. It's not to late for me to cancel the order. Does changing the bios fix the issue?

Thanks for replying.

TWC_Piranha

AVX instructions are not blocked on any intel cpu. If it were nothing would run.

• Like 1

I just discovered my Odyssey+ headset was missing a driver. This may apply to other WMR devices as well.

I've been experiencing a bug when I start WMR that often fails to detect HMD and gives me a message to "Check your display cable." One solution recommended was for me to check power management of USB devices in Device Manager. While clicking on each individual Properties tab I decided to do the same for all my hardware. I noticed for the first time my Odyssey+ was listed under both Mixed Reality Devices and Monitors. I checked the Power Management then Update Driver where it told me there was no driver and offered to install. I clicked Yes and after 5 mins it was complete. I launched the game and noticed a big improvement in clarity and 4k textures now glisten.

I opened SteamVR Settings to turn SS down a notch and noticed it now detects both my GPU and Odyssey+. Before Steam suggested 200% SS based solely on my GPU but now it suggests 150% for the headset.

All this time I've been focused on power management and display drivers assuming WMR would take care of it's end. I've deleted and reinstalled WMR app a dozen times in the last two weeks.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Gordon200 said:

I just discovered my Odyssey+ headset was missing a driver. This may apply to other WMR devices as well.

I've been experiencing a bug when I start WMR that often fails to detect HMD and gives me a message to "Check your display cable." One solution recommended was for me to check power management of USB devices in Device Manager. While clicking on each individual Properties tab I decided to do the same for all my hardware. I noticed for the first time my Odyssey+ was listed under both Mixed Reality Devices and Monitors. I checked the Power Management then Update Driver where it told me there was no driver and offered to install. I clicked Yes and after 5 mins it was complete. I launched the game and noticed a big improvement in clarity and 4k textures now glisten.

I opened SteamVR Settings to turn SS down a notch and noticed it now detects both my GPU and Odyssey+. Before Steam suggested 200% SS based solely on my GPU but now it suggests 150% for the headset.

All this time I've been focused on power management and display drivers assuming WMR would take care of it's end. I've deleted and reinstalled WMR app a dozen times in the last two weeks.

I did have more a less the same only I was experiencing an loud static sound from my O+ while playing BoX, so I was forced to use my headphones. After searching I did notice that MSI does have a special VRsoftware calling Xboost and as hardware one dedicated for VR USBport, that is controlled by an VRboost chip thats according to MSI: When using a VR headset, you want to have a smooth experience. Traditional USB ports can suffer signal drops, significantly impacting performance of connected devices. VR Boost is a smart chip that ensures a clean and strong signal to a VR optimized USB port, giving you an enjoyable VR experience.

This VR USBport in combination with MSI Xboost software tool did solve my static noise audio problems with the O+ 

MSI owners think it is worth to check your mobo manual for the VR capability. 

Edited by Dutch2

Hi Guys,

I just started playing in Rift S and I have some questions regarding settings in Steam VR and Oculus Tray.

I would like to play without ASW if possible. I find it better when I get 80 fps instead of 40fps and ASW. 80 fps is less nauseating.

I am confused about Steam VR and OTT. Would changes to OTT have effect on IL-2 in VR since it seems to run on Steam VR?

I changed Steam VR settings from 150 % to 100% and can't really see any decrease in image quality.

Steam VR says Reprojection is ON , can I switch it off there or is it only possible in OTT app.

Any other tricks to get better performance? 

Anything in BOS settings that can be reduced to increase FPS without greatly ruining image quality?

Only time I get 80fps currently is when flying solo over see on Kuban map.

specs: i7 4770K stock speeds, 2133 Mhz RAM and GTX 1080.

I have new mobo and i7 9700K and 3600 Mhz DDR4 RAM but I will not build my new PC until weekend.

Any suggestions guys?

All VR users get the long-awaited fix of an aircraft propeller that looked distorted with VR reprojection turned on.

Good news! Can anyone confirm that this fix works?

2 hours ago, TUS_Samuel said:

Good news! Can anyone confirm that this fix works?

The Devs would like to have a word with you, I'd suppose.

It's written in bold letters in the patch notes 😀

Very good questions Banzai I am wondering the same thing as a new Rift S user. I really need to download the OTT the stock Oculus Home thing sucks if I just want to fire up IL2.

10 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

The Devs would like to have a word with you, I'd suppose.

It's written in bold letters in the patch notes 😀

Does it mean that you can always fly with ASW enabled without any issues and forget about insufficient performance?

Posted (edited)

I'm curious to know how they achieved this as it's more an ASW 1.0 algorithm problem. Did they remove or replace the propeller with something else when using VR (E.g. a nearly transparency disk not rotating)? I didn't try yet this new version...

Edited by YoLolo69

18 hours ago, 307_Banzai said:

Hi Guys,

I just started playing in Rift S and I have some questions regarding settings in Steam VR and Oculus Tray.

I would like to play without ASW if possible. I find it better when I get 80 fps instead of 40fps and ASW. 80 fps is less nauseating.

I am confused about Steam VR and OTT. Would changes to OTT have effect on IL-2 in VR since it seems to run on Steam VR?

I changed Steam VR settings from 150 % to 100% and can't really see any decrease in image quality.

Steam VR says Reprojection is ON , can I switch it off there or is it only possible in OTT app.

Any other tricks to get better performance? 

Anything in BOS settings that can be reduced to increase FPS without greatly ruining image quality?

Only time I get 80fps currently is when flying solo over see on Kuban map.

specs: i7 4770K stock speeds, 2133 Mhz RAM and GTX 1080.

I have new mobo and i7 9700K and 3600 Mhz DDR4 RAM but I will not build my new PC until weekend.

Any suggestions guys?

CTRL+Num1 combination is supposed to turn off ASW but it never worked for me for some reason so I use OTT to disable ASW. OTT does have an effect even if SteamVR is running and you cannot turn off ASW in SteamVR (ASW is an Oculus exclusive thing). I have a profile for IL-2 in OTT with audio confirmation enabled so I can hear if the profile is loaded when I launch the game. This is important as sometimes it fails to load.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, YoLolo69 said:

I'm curious to know how they achieved this as it's more an ASW 1.0 algorithm problem. Did they remove or replace the propeller with something else when using VR (E.g. a nearly transparency disk not rotating)? I didn't try yet this new version...

It looks (to me) like the centre of the propellor disk is now quite transparent, it's just the edges (beyond the gunsight) that are more solid. This might give an improvement to all the various brands of reprojection tech. Oculus users currently enjoy ASW 2.0 which uses the depth buffer to help understand the scene and smooth things further.

I played a bunch last night on the Rift S with an RTX 2080, and I can still tell easily when the framerate drops from 80 to 40. I think I prefer switching ASW off entirely because the switches between 80 and 40 are kind of jarring. Fingers crossed the developers are still going to do optimization passes and stuff as they get closer to release of BoBP. At the end of the day, this is not a "VR first" kind of a game, so we're always going to need to accept some less-than-perfect framerates.

Posted (edited)

Looks like the prop is now a lo res substitute, not as nice as the 2d version, but it gets the job done. No more distortion and no more target planes doubling up.

Between all the tweaking to the game and Steam VR, I find the performance has noticeably improved since I got my Rift last year. In QMBs, fps is mostly around 90, except closer to the ground where it drops to 45. This on an average rig: i5-4670k @ 4.2 ghz/vega 56 with balanced graphic settings.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

Posted (edited)

Hi Folks,

Just 2 quick questions if I may:

Firstly, about the Steam VR motion smoothing (global) setting.  Should I keep this on?

It is on by default, so I hope I have done the right thing by leaving it on.  I am using a Pimax 5k plus.

Secondly, would you recommend using the beta version of Steam VR or the standard release version?

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to reply.

Happy landing,

Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Hi Folks,

Just 2 quick questions if I may:

Firstly, about the Steam VR motion smoothing (global) setting.  Should I keep this on?

It is on by default, so I hope I have done the right thing by leaving it on.  I am using a Pimax 5k plus.

Secondly, would you recommend using the beta version of Steam VR or the standard release version?

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to reply.

Happy landing,

Talisman

You do not need steamVR anymore with Pitool beta.

De activate the automatic launch of steamVR in steamVR settings, close steamVR, launch Pitool, launch IL2 => no steamVR process and VR OK. SteamVR layer is emulated by Pitool, image computation are done by pitool. It looks like only steamVR SuperSampling is used to computed target resolution.

It's up to you for SmartSmoothing, a bit smoother but some artifacts. I prefer to be at native fps  (that are ok for my rig) without SS.

Edited by lefuneste