peregrine7

VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 5th/Jun/18

I apparently exist in a minority in that I feel the game barely runs adequately on my machine. Flying around sight seeing is, of course, fine. Sometimes the frame rate will tank but as you arent requiring any precise spotting its barely noticeable. Now this changes significantly when you are fighting - a situation you oft find yourself in. When frames tank whilst fighting the wavey reflective sight is obnoxious, but the piece de resistance is the blurry double of the plane you are trying to track/ID/shoot. Because the frame rate drops here are both frequent and and often last for the duration of your engagement they are quite noticable. Now I have a relatively good machine in that I run a 1080 on a 6700k with 32 gigs ram. My CPU never even comes close to maxing so OCing it seems fruitless and I doubt very much my RAM is an issue. I run IL2 on all lowest with sharpening (I like the clarity of the instruments) and my sole concession to this is super sampling set to 1.5. HUD is turned off prior to contact. ASW/ATW are off in an effort to improve visual clarity. I enjoy this game tremendously but the constant frame rate drops make things like PID difficult. I suppose I should try lowering my super sampling but I know that will make instruments much more difficult to read... Meh I'll see if that makes the difference.

von Luck

I would drop the SS to 1.0 and use ingame 2xAA.

Also overclocking the CPU is really helpful, regardless of the apparent low percentage of CPU use.

I apparently exist in a minority in that I feel the game barely runs adequately on my machine. Flying around sight seeing is, of course, fine. Sometimes the frame rate will tank but as you arent requiring any precise spotting its barely noticeable. Now this changes significantly when you are fighting - a situation you oft find yourself in. When frames tank whilst fighting the wavey reflective sight is obnoxious, but the piece de resistance is the blurry double of the plane you are trying to track/ID/shoot. Because the frame rate drops here are both frequent and and often last for the duration of your engagement they are quite noticable. Now I have a relatively good machine in that I run a 1080 on a 6700k with 32 gigs ram. My CPU never even comes close to maxing so OCing it seems fruitless and I doubt very much my RAM is an issue. I run IL2 on all lowest with sharpening (I like the clarity of the instruments) and my sole concession to this is super sampling set to 1.5. HUD is turned off prior to contact. ASW/ATW are off in an effort to improve visual clarity. I enjoy this game tremendously but the constant frame rate drops make things like PID difficult. I suppose I should try lowering my super sampling but I know that will make instruments much more difficult to read... Meh I'll see if that makes the difference.

von Luck

That sounds a little off, I run SS at 1.6 in Oculus Tray Tool, and get great performance overall with my 4820K and 1080 Ti. I was running at Ultra, switched to High after 2.012 so I can run higher shadows. 

I would think your experience would be better with your rig. 

That sounds a little off, I run SS at 1.6 in Oculus Tray Tool, and get great performance overall with my 4820K and 1080 Ti. I was running at Ultra, switched to High after 2.012 so I can run higher shadows. 

I would think your experience would be better with your rig.

Maybe this is a silly scaling issue. I'll crank the gfx to see if it actually runs better on higher settings. That said I too am disappointed with how poorly it runs on my machine. I cannot imagine how you can run it on ultra or even high. I tried medium settings for awhile but my frames would just stay glued at minimum at the slightest provocation. That said I strictly play MP. But honestly even when I try single player trials on gfx settings changes it still tanks frames.

von Luck

My CPU never even comes close to maxing so OCing it seems fruitless and I doubt very much my RAM is an issue. I run IL2 on all lowest with sharpening (I like the clarity of the instruments) and my sole concession to this is super sampling set to 1.5.

This small piece of text contains three important items to comment:

1.- The sentence "My CPU never even comes close to maxing so OCing it seems fruitless" is totally false. When  you check you CPU load or core load during game you will see that the % load is always far from 100% but your CPU is actually a bottleneck in BOS since there is a thread (the main one) which is being jumping from one core to the other. This is explained in this post:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline/?p=499412

2.- In the sentence "I doubt very much my RAM is an issue" we are missing your actual RAM speed to being able to help you. Isn´t it?

Please, put in your signature you full rig specs (including actual OC and RAM speed, in fact these are the true key factors for BOS).

Having a DDR4 RAM you can really go to high speed RAMs, going above 3000MHz is worth. But you dont need 32GB, 16 or 8 is more than enough.

3.- The sentence "super sampling set to 1.5" is ambiguous. If you use 1.5 OTT/ODT it is equivalent to 2.25 in SteamVR. So, PLEASE, PLEASE,for all people posting in this forum, when you talk about SS specify if you use OTT/ODT or SteamVR.

In the thread that Panthecules recommended you to read, you will find many to the issues you have (if you have the patient to read it). It is true that it is a bit messy but many of the wrong concepts you have I also have it before and write it down in that thread.

Your rig is power enough (with good OC and CPU cooler) to run BOS at High settings and SS=1.7 or 2.0 (In SteamVR) even in complex scenarios.

It is also true that you will not maintain always 90fps, in certain moments it can have dips to 80, 70 or 60 depending on the plane you fly.

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Upvote 1

von Luck

We have the same setup basically.  Ive found the range for performance and quality is very narrow, if not a bullseye only. One little tweak up by one category caused judders (or  wavy reflective sight).  check out my reply here and my sig to see if it helps you get a baseline performance: 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30809-game-version-2012-discussion-hs-129-kuban-map-fm-update-new/?p=507359

(Ive finally landed on no judders while corkscrewing toward the earth looking out side cockpit with best image quality imo.)

further tweaks possible:

*turn shadows down?

*I heard some Vive users have fixed judder issue in diff game with "Restore" on the Nvidia 3d experience (I have what I think are typical tweaks right like maxframes=1 etc among 7-8 others.)

edit: heres my 3d settings:

*intentionally deleted** not applicable in VR

Edited by katdog5

We have the same setup basically.  Ive found the range for performance and quality is very narrow, if not a bullseye only. One little tweak up by one category caused judders (or  wavy reflective sight).  check out my reply here and my sig to see if it helps you get a baseline performance: 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30809-game-version-2012-discussion-hs-129-kuban-map-fm-update-new/?p=507359

(Ive finally landed on no judders while corkscrewing toward the earth looking out side cockpit with best image quality imo.)

further tweaks possible:

*turn shadows down?

*I heard some Vive users have fixed judder issue in diff game with "Restore" on the Nvidia 3d experience (I have what I think are typical tweaks right like maxframes=1 etc among 7-8 others.)

Glad it's working for some people, but for me it's now unplayable. FPS starts off at 45 (ASW), then after 5 minutes creeps down towards 30fps and stays there. Naturally this causes issues. 

Also with the recent Oculus update my ASW hotkeys are no longer working, so I'll have to take a look at that. So many things to do, so little time!

This small piece of text contains three important items to comment:

1.- The sentence "My CPU never even comes close to maxing so OCing it seems fruitless" is totally false. When  you check you CPU load or core load during game you will see that the % load is always far from 100% but your CPU is actually a bottleneck in BOS since there is a thread (the main one) which is being jumping from one core to the other. This is explained in this post:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline/?p=499412

I'll give that a gander. I will also look more closely at what each individual core is at.

2.- In the sentence "I doubt very much my RAM is an issue" we are missing your actual RAM speed to being able to help you. Isn´t it?

Please, put in your signature you full rig specs (including actual OC and RAM speed, in fact these are the true key factors for BOS).

Having a DDR4 RAM you can really go to high speed RAMs, going above 3000MHz is worth. But you dont need 32GB, 16 or 8 is more than enough. 

We went over this once before but my RAM is 2400 MHz with 15-15-15-35 timing and I fully understand that 32 gigs is excessive and largely unnecessary.

3.- The sentence "super sampling set to 1.5" is ambiguous. If you use 1.5 OTT/ODT it is equivalent to 2.25 in SteamVR. So, PLEASE, PLEASE,for all people posting in this forum, when you talk about SS specify if you use OTT/ODT or SteamVR.

Interesting - I did not know there wasn't a standard for SS across platforms. At any rate I set my SS using the Oculus tool.

In the thread that Panthecules recommended you to read, you will find many to the issues you have (if you have the patient to read it). It is true that it is a bit messy but many of the wrong concepts you have I also have it before and write it down in that thread.

I'm a relatively patient man so I'll humor you :). If adjusting my hardware and settings can net me an increase in performance and improve my GFX then I'm on board. Weeds are where the gems hide after all.

Your rig is power enough (with good OC and CPU cooler) to run BOS at High settings and SS=1.7 or 2.0 (In SteamVR) even in complex scenarios.

It is also true that you will not maintain always 90fps, in certain moments it can have dips to 80, 70 or 60 depending on the plane you fly.

I automatically assume most people posting here describing playing in high settings are full of it so if your telling me it's possible in a factual way consider me interested . . . but initially pessimistic.

When I get back home I'll tackle this with vigor - thank you for the information.

von Luck

Just received my rift yesterday and its early days.

Well just like in 2002 I'm now attempting to squeeze every ounce of Image quality out of my system, only this time in VR.

Early settings are below that appear to have hit a sweet spot

Fullscreen

Resolution 800x600

Shadows Medium

Distant landscape x4

Landscape filter sharp

Grass Normal

Dynamic resolution factor 0.5

Supersampling is 1.5 in Steam VR and my general setting is at High

I'm between 60-90 FPS dropping occasionally but rarely below 45. No stutters, the immersion is absolutely fantastic. I haven't even entertained NVIDIA control panel yet as I don't wan't to spend more time tweaking than flying (although I probably will)

Its slightly annoying that the canopy is reducing image quality in VR, when you lean out things are so much sharper - I wonder if they could kind of balance that for VR users ?

That aside - all is good, a slight ghosting / misting on the lenses in some situation- is this the so called god rays thing ?

No nausea :biggrin:

Edited by doog442

I'm between 60-90 FPS dropping occasionally but rarely below 45. No stutters, the immersion is absolutely fantastic. I haven't even entertained NVIDIA control panel yet as I don't wan't to spend more time tweaking than flying (although I probably will)

You won't have to worry with the Nvidia Control Panel, as most of those settings will not apply to the Rift HMD. Just set for max performance.

Congrats and have fun!!

snip

Thanks for the advice I'll give the thread a looksie. Shadows are lower as of last night.

von Luck

Edited by von-Luck

You won't have to worry with the Nvidia Control Panel, as most of those settings will not apply to the Rift HMD. Just set for max performance.

Congrats and have fun!!

Many thanks

Congrats and have fun!!

Is that really true? Sure Id like it to be.....most perhaps, but one or 2 setting tweaked may really be something.   You do mean set max performance in the Nvidia control panel. 

I also want to purely speculate that max frames 1 might help?  Max Performance for sure?

When I did a test between these settings standard and tweaked, I get smoother performance tweaked...it may really only be one of the settings but I dont know which.  

Is that really true? Sure Id like it to be.....most perhaps, but one or 2 setting tweaked may really be something.   You do mean set max performance in the Nvidia control panel. 

I also want to purely speculate that max frames 1 might help?  Max Performance for sure?

When I did a test between these settings standard and tweaked, I get smoother performance tweaked...it may really only be one of the settings but I dont know which.  

AFAIK for the most part no they will not affect the image in VR.

I leave my pre-rendered VR frames as set to default which I believe is 1.

I have a profile for BoS set to "Prefer Maximum Performance".

AFAIK for the most part no they will not affect the image in VR.

I leave my pre-rendered VR frames as set to default which I believe is 1.

I have a profile for BoS set to "Prefer Maximum Performance".

Ok. thats probably what it is then...that one setting max performance. getting some great results. what a piece of art this Kuban map

I will also look more closely at what each individual core is at.

Cores are not also at 100%. The heavy thread of BOS (among the other BOS threads) is jumping from one core to other in order to distribute overall heating. 

but my RAM is 2400 MHz

Then you will benefit if you go to 3200 or higher. 

I did not know there wasn't a standard for SS across platforms

Here is explained everything: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30436-pixel-density-supersampling-steamvr-oculustraytool-and-oculu/ 

Summary: SteamVR_SS = (OTT_SS)x(OTT_SS)

If adjusting my hardware and settings can net me an increase in performance and improve my GFX

Yeas, that´s the point of the thread. You should have same performance that your peers. If not, something is wrong in hardware/software/settings.

If I were you I would start by running the test with no OC and no memory upgrade but using the test settings.

Then experiment with OC until your max OC. I explain this here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29881-overclocking-4790k-better-bos-performance/

Then run the test again and report.

Last hardware step is upgrade RAM (if budget allows). You can go to 3200 or higher.

Then run the test again and report.

Then let´s go to find your max SS achievable for your 1080. This is explained here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30771-how-much-ss-desirable-image-quality-samples/

Using the test setting, increase the SS until your fps in the tests drop. I assume your SS limit would be around 2.0 in Steam VR (1.4 in OTT).

Then you can play with other setting different from the test.

I don't wan't to spend more time tweaking than flying (although I probably will)

Yeah, it also happened to me. I just wanted to fly in VR, but ended up in doing all kind of tests and a way to measure performance. At least it will hopefully help others. 

Its slightly annoying that the canopy is reducing image quality in VR

Try then the I-16.

The Spit have also much clearer cockpit. 

Hello

Can one really improve with two GTX 1080 ti its fps and graphics in VR?

greeting

Nelly 2408

Hello

Can one really improve with two GTX 1080 ti its fps and graphics in VR?

greeting

Nelly 2408

Not in VR. As I understand currently SLI is not supported in a VR device.

what can I do hardware technically to improve the fps and graphics in VR?

I have Steam VR beta... Could this be the problem?

Edit: Turning off beta updates in Steam VR seems to have fixed the issue. Chaperone ring is gone!

I cannot get the Blue Ring to go away.  What 'beta' are you talking about?  I see a 'SteamVR Home Beta' checkbox in the SteamVR Settings.  Unchecking that does not help..

Also, I see a Status indicator in the SteamVR Settings that says the Chaperone Bounds is OFF.  But I still see the blue ring.  Is there an Option in the Settings now to turn it off? Help?

i81zmwi.png

PS: This is my code:

{
"collisionBounds": {
"CollisionBoundsColorGammaA": 0,
"CollisionBoundsColorGammaR": 255
},
"steamvr": {
"enableHomeApp": false,
"mirrorViewGeometry": "0 0 960 540",
"forceFadeOnBadTracking": false,
"renderTargetMultiplier": 1.3
}
}

It's been verified as valid on that JSON Validator...  But the game keeps setting my mirrorViewGeometry to  "0 0 1080 600".  Not sure if that matters...

Edited by DDSnacko

I cannot get the Blue Ring to go away.  What 'beta' are you talking about?  I see a 'SteamVR Home Beta' checkbox in the SteamVR Settings.  Unchecking that does not help..

Also, I see a Status indicator in the SteamVR Settings that says the Chaperone Bounds is OFF.  But I still see the blue ring.  Is there an Option in the Settings now to turn it off? Help?

Have a look at this post:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28589-getting-rid-blue-ring-chaperone/

Hey, sorry to bring up and old thread but seemed relevant. In the first post, you say that increasing supersampling makes everything clearer but actually makes distant spotting harder. Is this still the case and would it be the same on the Vive?

Zes it is still the case. Planes scale up more the lower the resolution is, to fill at least a pixel. Supersampling increases that standard resolution which the scale up is based on, so at range targets will be smaller.

P.S. This is no assumption. I tested it.

• Upvote 1

I can confirm this is definitely the case. The improvement in visual quality definitely outweighs the loss of spotting at range though.

• Upvote 1

True. And also, spotting is one thing, identifying another. Ss makes the latter easier. So It's spotting vs identification and image clarity.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys. I see the trade-off but I'll have to test for myself. I've only played a couple of hours so far but in my only online mission I had no trouble with ID but was happily flying around not seeing anyone until I found them on my 6 in a routine zig-zag. So it seems I need all the help I can get with distant spotting, not close detail. :salute:

I was wondering what I could do to help my situation a little.

Up to now, I have had faultless performance with my Rift. Yesterday I flew a ground attack mission in the older Yak-1. Whilst strafing a staff car I got very low on occasion - I'm talking having to throw the aircraft 90° to avoid hitting the trees along the side of the road.

In VR it was just awesome fun (my wife came to see why I was laughing and whooping so much!) but each time I got to this point, I got very bad stutter. Well, stutter isn't really the right word - the sim would pause for a notable time and then continue - perhaps two or three times in total for each pass, as I was closest to the ground.

Yet in the past, on two occasions I have got so close to the ground, in similar circumstances, that I actually skimmed it (gently, of course- no discernable damage) with the back section of the fuselage, but no kind of stutter or pause at all. This against AAA.

Okay, I shouldn't be in these situations in the first place - but it's so much fun. I don't want to lower the settings if I don't have to - in other VR flight sims doing this has just completely ruined the experience.

Running an i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz with 16GB 2133 DDR3 on an Asus Z97 with GTX 1060 6GB and SSDs.

I think I left the settings pretty much as standard, but I will check. I really don't want to ruin things - I've had zero issues in dogfights and all previous ground attack sorties.

Edited by Brixmis

Up to now, I have had faultless performance with my Rift. Yesterday I flew a ground attack mission in the older Yak-1. Whilst strafing a staff car I got very low on occasion - I'm talking having to throw the aircraft 90° to avoid hitting the trees along the side of the road.

In VR it was just awesome fun (my wife came to see why I was laughing and whooping so much!) but each time I got to this point, I got very bad stutter. Well, stutter isn't really the right word - the sim would pause for a notable time and then continue - perhaps two or three times in total for each pass, as I was closest to the ground.

Yet in the past, on two occasions I have got so close to the ground, in similar circumstances, that I actually skimmed it (gently, of course- no discernable damage) with the back section of the fuselage, but no kind of stutter or pause at all. This against AAA.

Okay, I shouldn't be in these situations in the first place - but it's so much fun. I don't want to lower the settings if I don't have to - in other VR flight sims doing this has just completely ruined the experience.

Running an i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz with 16GB 2133 DDR3 on an Asus Z97 with GTX 1060 6GB and SSDs.

I think I left the settings pretty much as standard, but I will check. I really don't want to ruin things - I've had zero issues in dogfights and all previous ground attack sorties.

You may have just hit a heavy load in that particular mission, which your 1060 struggled with.

If it don't happen very often and you are pleased with your settings, I would not worry too much with it. But if like me and you want a smooth experience at all times, then yes probably want to take a look at your graphics settings and lower them some.

Low graphics and shadows off is perfectly acceptable in vr and offers great performance

Try a Dynamic Resolution Factor of .8. I keep it there for all missions. and Im smooth as butter. Campaigns can get dramatic - Just about everyone less than 1080ti needs this setting.  Really a brilliant piece of programming. That's been my sweet spot.  

Ill even use .7 if I need to fly in the mountains under heavy clouds and god rays. 

Those that haven't should really checkout the performance graph option in the occulus debug tool. This handy chart displays in real time while you are using the rift. It shows you what is impacting the frame rate by showing your percent overhead that is free. Bascially, it shows you how many frames are available above the default 90 you have in real-time. With this tool I have done extensive testing in this game and in other aaa sims that are out there.

What I have observed for Il2 is that shadows are your biggest factor after the hud display. With my high-end system I can have all other settings maxed to include hdr(not needed i know),ssao and sharpen.

On my Titan pascal-6700k machine I maintain about 10% free headroom (above 90fps) during all facets of gameplay when I have shadows off, I tested this with quick mission, with all ground AI on and group air AI on.

With that said, the game will cpu spike during certain situations (explosions, new AI generated when in range, interface interaction, etc), this will cause the rift to dip below 90fps for a second or two.

With these settings I never see the Rift switch to timewarp (45 FPS downgrade). Now turn on shadows even at the low settings and it will get the rift to drop to 45 fps when low to the ground (tree skimming). This is clearly a rendering bottleneck.

Also of note when using external views the fps impact is reduced by at least 15 percent due to not having to render the cockpit but nobody is going to want to fly with no cockpit when rifting I am sure ;)

For those that are frustrated with the performance demands of the rift on your pc, you need to understand one thing, multi-pass rendering. Not only does your GPU/CPU need to render at 90 fps but it has to do it twice for each eye display, this is a massive strain on the pc.

Nvidia promised single pass stereo rendering with the pascal cards but unfortunately all signs point to game devs finding it to hard to retrofit this feature. I have yet to see any existing game out there try to implement this. 

This feature is only available in engines (unity, unreal) going forward. So unless nvidia or amd can provide a hardware-based solution for single pass rendering we have to settle for brute force solutions like new faster GPUs for existing games like il2.

I am really curious to see what the next version of IL2 will do to Rift performance.

• Upvote 1

Hello everyone,

I finally bought a new GPU for my computer, a GTX 1080 Ti. I was previously using a GTX 980 and I still have my HTC Vive for VR gaming.

I have two questions :

- Last year I applied tweaks mentionned in the first post of this thread. As it wasn't updated since April 2017, are thoose tweaks still correct or not ?

- Can someone give a quick guide on how to have the best experience with a similar card ? I already read many posts but I must admit that I am a bit lost

with all that information.

Thank you in advance for your help. Sincerely,

Amaury

What I have observed for Il2 is that shadows are your biggest factor after the hud display.

Thanks for the tip, will have to test this next time I'm in game!

Higher settings for supersampling will result in better visual quality across the board. HOWEVER the current system means that your ability to spot enemies will be reduced for settings above 1.0. 1.3 is a happy medium between maximum quality (1.5ish) and maximum spotting (1.0). While this setting does degrade performance significantly, it's better to play at 90fps on LOW and 1.3x than 90fps on Ultra at 1.0x in my opinion.

Having played a bit now I want to add to this. The low-balanced-high presets seem to affect texture quality. On low, I found it very hard to read cockpit instruments as well as the cockpit and especially the wing looking awful. Biggest indicator is the flap position marker on the 109s, which is a smudged mess on low and gradually sharper as you increase. I found supersampling does not compensate for this, and the performance hit of slight quality increase is worse than just turning up the in-game presets. Currently I play on "high" with no SS and get a reasonable compromise between spotting, ID and instrument reading. And can usually keep 89 FPS on a GTX970. I might do some more testing especially with shadows off.

On that note, does anyone know why my FPS counter is 89 not 90?

On that note, does anyone know why my FPS counter is 89 not 90?

I think it is just a little quirk in how BoS reads FPS.

Mine will do the same, and actually show fluctuation between 90 and 89. 

When you have your settings about where you like them, best just to turn that fps counter off.  ;) 

To add further to this discussion. I decided to finally overclock my 6700k since I will soon be upgrading to an 8700k. What I noticed by going from the turbo clock of 4.2ghz to a stable OC of 4.8ghz is it doesn't impact performance in VR. Now outside of VR I see impressive gains since the GPU is not hitting a massive wall with multipass 90hz rendering. I have tested this across many games including this one.

The bottleneck is clearly the GPU so not matter how fast you get your high-end CPU to go for single-threaded performance it won't affect VR performance after a certain point.

With that said, the next gen GPUs (which are only a couple of months away from being announced) should see a big bump in VR performance when combined with a beefy cpu. This is why I am upgrading to a 8700k. I plan to have that cpu running at a stable 5.0 ghz paired with fast DD4 ram.

This will ensure that the new GPU will remain the bottleneck so any gains seen in VR will be directly tied to the increased power of the new GPU compared to the old.