peregrine7

VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 5th/Jun/18

With my pc Details see below, now i am getting 55-60 fps at 1980x1080 fullhd ultra Settings,

Question : which settings i shall use or get for the VR OCULUS rift?

Amd fx 8370 gtx 1060 6gb 16gb ram win10 home 64bit

Edited by II/JG11ATLAN

With my pc Details see below, now i am getting 55-60 fps at 1980x1080 fullhd ultra Settings,

Question : which settings i shall use or get for the VR OCULUS rift?

Amd fx 8370 gtx 1060 6gb 16gb ram win10 home 64bit

Upgrade the Fx8370 (and will probably require new, faster ram for the new MOBO)

Stay away from AMD.

You'd need to be getting 130+ fps to have something like 90fps in VR. 

Edited by peregrine7
  • Upvote 2

Why would increasing clarity through SS make spotting harder? Is it because a single black spot becomes averaged into grey with the sampling?

ASW when using Oculus - should it be set to OFF? 

"Yes", seems to be the most popular answer.  Personally, I can leave it on without a problem as long as I have my HUD off. 

ASW when using Oculus - should it be set to OFF? 

I leave mine on Auto.

1CGS did a splendid job of their VR implementation of BoS, and whilst it runs great for me performance wise maintaining 90 fps much of the time, when ASW does kick in and it goes to the required 45 fps for frame interpolation, it is very smooth with not much artifacts at all. I have been involved in some fairly heavy combat situations where ASW kicked in and was still very do-able and smooth for me. I have gotten to where I hardly even notice it and if not for seeing the fps counter probably would not even realize it.

ditto, apart from the prop effect and the occasional double blur I rarely notice when it kicks in, indeed I the prop blur were *fixed* Id probably never notice it.

Where did you set the Pixel density (Supersampling)? 

Through Oculus Tray Tool or within Steam? Does it make any differences?

I use Oculus Tray Tool to set up a profile for BoS and set a Pixel Density for it in there, I have the Tray Tool run at windows startup each time anyway so figured since I have a Rift I would set it up through the Rift rather than through the Steam software.

My settings are "everything off" except sharpen. And game quality on LOW. But I use the terrain file to hijack the settings and have 10 LODs at 4096. Grass is at 0. Nicer terrain and good frame rates. Screen resolution for game is 1280×720 on the monitor.

?Sorry, which terrain file do you refer to

Does anyone know if the 1080 card has any real advantage over the 1070 graphics card in terms of definition and /or fps???

The 1080 should be able to run higher levels of supersampling than the 1070 before experiencing fps dropping below 90.

The 1080 should be able to run higher levels of supersampling than the 1070 before experiencing fps dropping below 90.

So better for the foreseeable future say the next couple of years or so? I'm trying to weigh the added cost of the 1080 card to its performance over the 1070. I just got the Oculus set up and a nrw pic that came with the 1070. I've just had a ha creased to play with it briefly and am sold but as others have remarked definition of other aircraft leaves something to be desired. FPS seems adequate but drops as low as 45 with HUP on so I do wonder if the 1080 is going to make that much djifference now or whether I'll have to replace it in the near future?

I'm never one to go and recommend PC build options to others, especially components that I haven't used myself. I am using a 1080ti at the moment, but they aren't cheap and probably not best bang for your dollar.

HUD is a frame rate killer even on the 1080ti. Just learn to live without it. Chat messages are probably the only thing I miss and map subtitles advising of areas under attack.

FPS seems adequate but drops as low as 45 with HUP on so I do wonder if the 1080 is going to make that much djifference now or whether I'll have to replace it in the near future?

Nope not with the HUD on, will still drop to 45 fps. I have got to where I never fly with the HUD on due to that.

I leave mine on Auto.

1CGS did a splendid job of their VR implementation of BoS, and whilst it runs great for me performance wise maintaining 90 fps much of the time, when ASW does kick in and it goes to the required 45 fps for frame interpolation, it is very smooth with not much artifacts at all. I have been involved in some fairly heavy combat situations where ASW kicked in and was still very do-able and smooth for me. I have gotten to where I hardly even notice it and if not for seeing the fps counter probably would not even realize it.

Auto? I on't seem to that option...is it in Oculus Tray?

Auto? I on't seem to that option...is it in Oculus Tray?

In the Oculus Tray Tool.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

I set a profile in it for BoS for Pixel Density ( Super Sampling) and ASW Mode.

In the default Oculus Rift install, ASW is already set to Auto unless one changes it.

However I have since changed since the post you were replying to, I now run with ASW set to off and like it better that way.

Edited by dburne

In the Oculus Tray Tool.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

I set a profile in it for BoS for Pixel Density ( Super Sampling) and ASW Mode.

In the default Oculus Rift install, ASW is already set to Auto unless one changes it.

However I have since changed since the post you were replying to, I now run with ASW set to off and like it better that way.

Yup I found it there.... what about a good setting for Super sampling?

I'm still pondering getting the 180 card.It might improve my FPS a bit what really concerns me is the lack of clarity and/or definition of aircraft & objects in the middle to far distance with or without HUD on.With so much good going for VR ,this lack of detail is maddening.... :huh:

What are your system specs?

You can see mine in my sig, and I run a SS of 1.5 with Ultra graphics, and get great performance.

As far as image clarity, well that is a drawback in current generation VR.

Be sure and adjust your IPD for best results in the setup menu, and orient the headset to give you the best image clarity. The Rift does have a narrow sweet spot for best image quality. 

Increase the Pixel density or Supersampling and give it a try first. You will see the difference/improvement and can then decide if that is worth spending your hard earned on a card that can run it.

I tried it then replaced my PC soon after(I was due for an upgrade anyway).

dburne, how much PixelDensity is the SS=1.5 , it should be around PD=1.2?  SS=2.2 equals PD=1.5 at the moment.

I have read multiple times now that people say that would be enough, but I always felt SS=2.2 was giving the best picture without too heavy of a performance hit.

dburne, how much PixelDensity is the SS=1.5 , it should be around PD=1.2?  SS=2.2 equals PD=1.5 at the moment.

I have read multiple times now that people say that would be enough, but I always felt SS=2.2 was giving the best picture without too heavy of a performance hit.

I use the Oculus Tray Tool , so my SS of 1.5 should equate to 1.5 PD I think. If I understand that correctly.

I think setting it in Steam is the one that is somewhat different.

I certainly could be wrong though.

Ah yes, sorry, I just checked the OTT. You are perfectly right.

OTT labels it falsely as Supersampling, it should label it as Pixel Density. It's not an official program after all. SteamVR got it right - I guess. I think it is the multiplicator for the workload. Anyway, just semantics. Confusing. 

I also use PD=1.5 , best setting imo!

Edited by 1CAG_Fenris_Wolf

Increase the Pixel density or Supersampling and give it a try first. You will see the difference/improvement and can then decide if that is worth spending your hard earned on a card that can run it.

I tried it then replaced my PC soon after(I was due for an upgrade anyway).

Seemed to be better clarity at the highest setting but it took a hit in FPS too.I'm afraid I'll have to go with the 1080 to get the best of what is available so far.What is the general opinion will Oculus be improving the clarity issue through updates to what we have noe or will we all be buying new graphics cards in the next 18-24 months?

Seemed to be better clarity at the highest setting but it took a hit in FPS too.I'm afraid I'll have to go with the 1080 to get the best of what is available so far.What is the general opinion will Oculus be improving the clarity issue through updates to what we have noe or will we all be buying new graphics cards in the next 18-24 months?

The clarity will only improve in next generation VR devices. 

If I were in market for 1080 today, I would go for 1080 Ti.

Edited by dburne

Why do you say that SS is diferent than PD. How do you define PD and SS terms?

I have experimenting with this at:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30436-pixel-density-supersampling-steamvr-oculustraytool-and-oculu/

One is by proportion, the other by total pixel count.

E.g. 1.5x PD = 1.5x the pixels

But 1.5x supersampling (1.5x the *resolution*) is actually 1.5^2 more pixels, or 2.25x the pixels.

Edited by peregrine7

Something I found, I have the two sensor version with hand controllers. With the two sensors, I continuously found my head position in the cockpit was changing after a while in a flight and even when clicking the default VR button I was still either too low in the seat or off to the side.

What I did was disable one of the sensors and just had one facing me, much better all round.   

Something I found, I have the two sensor version with hand controllers. With the two sensors, I continuously found my head position in the cockpit was changing after a while in a flight and even when clicking the default VR button I was still either too low in the seat or off to the side.

What I did was disable one of the sensors and just had one facing me, much better all round.   

That's kind of weird, I have the 2 sensor oculus as well and it does sometimes put me slightly off center although it doesn't wander around over time.  I have to lean slightly to the right, then hit the VR reset so it centers me.  Not too bad of a workaround.  I wonder why this is, you'd think 2 sensors would be more accurate!

Hi, I have some questions about VR:

1. When I am on the ground and when I move my head sideways the cockpit seems to be moving/drifting with my head. Is there any way to disable this behavior?

2. When I hit center default VR view in german planes - it will always center the view on the gunsight (which is not always the center of the plane and honestly doesn't make sense to do that in VR). Any way to make it always reset view to the center of the plane and not gunsight?

@Sim: Do you have "full screen mode" enabled? I had this phenomenon the other day and couldn't figure out what had happened until I remembered unselecting that when I set up "voice attack" for BoX.

Getting it back in "fullscreen mode" solved that problem for me.

• Upvote 1

@Sim: Do you have "full screen mode" enabled? I had this phenomenon the other day and couldn't figure out what had happened until I remembered unselecting that when I set up "voice attack" for BoX.

Getting it back in "fullscreen mode" solved that problem for me.

Thanks, switching to fullscreen mode seems to have solved my drifting view issue.

I may have to check out full screen again, for some reason I was thinking running this sim in VR in full screen mode caused some issue, but can't remember what it was now...

The only time I have issue with the head movement is when I have the sim paused.

Edited by dburne

Yeah - at some point a while back a lot of people seemed to think that running in full-screen mode was causing various problems with earlier versions of the game.  I haven't tried it for quite a while, but maybe something got fixed along the way that made fullscreen Ok and I just missed seeing the posts about it - not sure.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

Yeah - at some point a while back a lot of people seemed to think that running in full-screen mode was causing various problems with earlier versions of the game.  I haven't tried it for quite a while, but maybe something got fixed along the way that made fullscreen Ok and I just missed seeing the posts about it - not sure.

I just flew a couple of missions in my PWCG campaign in full screen, did not have any issue.

There was something at one time, must have gotten fixed I guess.

Don't know if we mean the same thing but my cockpit follows me when I move my head during pause. Haven't tried the map view.

Does full screen help with the drift during pause or map display?

It did not for me. 

I apparently exist in a minority in that I feel the game barely runs adequately on my machine. Flying around sight seeing is, of course, fine. Sometimes the frame rate will tank but as you arent requiring any precise spotting its barely noticeable. Now this changes significantly when you are fighting - a situation you oft find yourself in. When frames tank whilst fighting the wavey reflective sight is obnoxious, but the piece de resistance is the blurry double of the plane you are trying to track/ID/shoot. Because the frame rate drops here are both frequent and and often last for the duration of your engagement they are quite noticable. Now I have a relatively good machine in that I run a 1080 on a 6700k with 32 gigs ram. My CPU never even comes close to maxing so OCing it seems fruitless and I doubt very much my RAM is an issue. I run IL2 on all lowest with sharpening (I like the clarity of the instruments) and my sole concession to this is super sampling set to 1.5. HUD is turned off prior to contact. ASW/ATW are off in an effort to improve visual clarity. I enjoy this game tremendously but the constant frame rate drops make things like PID difficult. I suppose I should try lowering my super sampling but I know that will make instruments much more difficult to read... Meh I'll see if that makes the difference.

von Luck