neofightr2

VR is fantastic!!!

The greatest flight sim I have ever played just got a whole lot better. Let me just say, thank you devs for supporting VR!

So far it works flawlessly on the Rift. I love how you keep all the camera options available unlike warthunder. It's frustrating when a dev decides to lock down in-game camera features for the sake of saving newbs from motion sickness maybe? I don't know, all I know is IL2 reins supreme in VR over all my sims (warthunder, dcs, elite etc). Seeing those flybys in glorious 3d is so beautiful!

In the little time I played in VR with this game,  I was simply awestruck at the level of immersion. I took a quick flight in the I-16 and decided to strafe a convoy only to get my engine shot up, oil splatters on my visor and I am as giddy as a little girl at the detail. I then notice the whole plane begin to shudder at the engine starts to struggle and I am quickly reminded at how this sim has no rival when it comes to detail.  :)

The only shortcoming thanks to vr resolution is the inflight map is hard to read but that's an easy price to pay for the ridiculous level of immersion.

I am also impressed to how I didn't have to scale back on the max graphics setting. Sure I have a Titan X but I expected to see some frame rate hits that I have seen in other games but not this game. It's a testament to how well implemented the VR is.

I plan to buy all the add-ons now and can't wait for the pacific version. This retired navy pilot's mouth is watering just thinking about how good the pacific game will be.

Again bravo zulu devs!!!! And here's hoping for ROF2 with VR down the road. That classic deserves a sequel.

PS

If the devs have questions on carrier landing procedures or flight behavior around the carrier pattern (especially in close on approach) let me know. I have extensive experience landing jets on carriers.

• Upvote 7

So could you honestly recommend me buying VR ? I have the money for it but i have 144hz gsync 2560*1440p monitor and im not sure if i wont be "downgrading" in terms of dot visibility dont you think i should wait for next generations of VR ? thx for response 

So glad you had an exelent experience :)

Mine have bin a littel mixed because of some tecnical difficulties.

But first of, the positive. Incredible cockpits! Much better graphics then in War thunder. The feeling of lying is absolute incredible.

No problem aiming bf 109 or he 111. And VR worked on first attempt.

But some problems: If you start Steam VR before the game, the game don't start. But no big problem. Start game, and steam VR automatically start and everything worked.

But steam VR popup frequently when I play, the Lance distance thing pop up often, and some shimmering and the steam VR pop up for half a second often. And yes, I followed the patch instruction, minimized the oculus home and steam vr.

I have a GTX 1070, but The framerate struggled somewhat. sometimes 45, other times 90, but the problem was that it often was every number in between. So it felt sluggish at times. I guess the steam VR interference thing might have something to do whit it. And of Corse I might have the graphic on to high... I will experience more. But unfortunately the main server kicked me out. So at the moment I cant log into game.

But even whit some minor difficulties, this is SO worth the wait. Thank you so much :D

This is the possibly the best VR implementation into a 2D game that I've ever seen. The cockpit is sharp and easy to read, easier than my 2k Monitor even.

I'm getting a constant FPS of 60 on Ultra details with the Pixel Density set to max. I experience no stutters and I'm loving the game. Keep in mind I've only an EVGA 1070 FTW Gaming, and a processor running at 3.9, happily the game deals fine with my hardware.

The only problem I've had was described above. When I turn my head Steam VR screen flashes momentarily. Breaks immersion hard, so I'd love a fix. I think I may try again with a new room setup and the latest drivers. I have a theory it's got something to do with head position.

Now back to flying a rollercoaster...

I can only agree. VR implementation is great in this game! Not to compare with Warthunder VR support.

The cockpits just look great and gauges are easily readable. Even spotting is not as difficult as I expected.

I also experienced that landing and aiming is easier due to better perception of speed and distances.

And the best: no motion sickness after two hours of flying!

The downside is that my neck aches a bit after a few dogfights :biggrin: .

I did not have much time to test it tonight, an hour and a half. But immediately felt that BoX VR is way ahead of other sims I've played, including that one space sim.

• Upvote 1

PS
If the devs have questions on carrier landing procedures or flight behavior around the carrier pattern (especially in close on approach) let me know. I have extensive experience landing jets on carriers.

Wauw, great to hear that an actual aviator approves of this sim and the VR implementation! - What planes did you fly in the Navy?

S! and thank you for your service. 

I've been flying VR in DCS for almost a year now, and I've flown DCS almost exclusively because it had VR and IL2 didn't. I've only had about 30 minutes now in the IL2 BoS VR, but even that brief testing has left me feeling there is a new king for VR flight-simulation!

So firstly I'm really impressed with the performance: I'm running at 1.5 super-sampling (via Oculus Tray Tool) and the frame rate is really good so far, very smooth indeed. Not tried anything that would tax it too much (like lots of planes or explosions or anything), but so far it feels flawless. My hardware is good (GTX 1080) but then I'm running it at some reasonably taxing settings too.

Secondly, at 1.5 super-sampling the gauges are all really very readable and the overall resolution feels really good. Not tried any combat stuff yet, so will have to report back on what the spotting is like. But so far (from spotting ground objects) the resolution feels really crisp, so I'm optimistic. I also really like the VR zoom, it's a bit stronger than the DCS one and it applies a bit quicker, which are both good things IMO.

I also like the "limited VR view", doesn't cause any sickness for me (but then I've flown a lot of VR). My only issue with it (and it's a minor one) is that the head-bumping noise is too loud. Perhaps there's some way to turn down the volume of it that I haven't found.

Overall I'm super impressed, and I think I'll be spending a lot of time with IL2 BoX now :-)

• Upvote 1

So could you honestly recommend me buying VR ? I have the money for it but i have 144hz gsync 2560*1440p monitor and im not sure if i wont be "downgrading" in terms of dot visibility dont you think i should wait for next generations of VR ? thx for response 

I've been thinking about this too. Im not very satisfied with current VRs resolution. Maybe we should wait year or two?

• Upvote 1

I've said this before in other discussions, and will repeat it here ...

With VR, the magic happens inside your head, not in your eyes.

Focusing on image quality/resolution misses the point of VR. 

It is like adding a new sensory channel, at the expense of an existing one.

The (strict) visual channel is compromised, but not only does your sensorium gain a new dimension, but entirely new parts of your brain get engaged that simply snooze during 2D.

Let me repeat that for effect: YOUR brain on VR is different in a way that you just cannot replicate on a 4K, 8K, or 2000K 2D screen. The visuals are secondary to the VR experience.

The first thing you notice is the depth perception and immersion. But, honestly, the wow factor of the immersion etc. will fade, but the fact that another aspect of your brain is now taking part in the simulated universe is what will have a lasting effect. Your situational awareness is much greater. Your sense of being is much greater. Your sense of location in space is much greater. You know your place in the aircraft, the sky, the world. 

Sure, everything is blurry like you have vaseline smeared on your goggles.  But you don't give a rat's caboose, because you are *there*.

• Upvote 3

Was an early edition buyer. Bought under the promise of VR development. Uninstalled when VR dev ceased a long time ago. Ecstatic at this news reinstalling as we speak. I primarily fly in Warthunder SB with my new GTX 1080 ti and beast PC running at 1.7-2.0 SS with minimal re-projection issues. I am very eager to try it out :) will report back my feeling!

Am I right in saying, that with VR you wear a head set through which you obtain all the visuals the game has to  offer, and that you are totally blind to all around you, a joystick in one hand which is no real problem, but what about the key board ?

I suppose if you can read braille its not a problem ?? Could someone explain the concept.

Am I right in saying, that with VR you wear a head set through which you obtain all the visuals the game has to  offer, and that you are totally blind to all around you, a joystick in one hand which is no real problem, but what about the key board ?

I suppose if you can read braille its not a problem ?? Could someone explain the concept.

With the Rift, anyway, there is a "nose gap".

A lot can be done with the nose gap :)

In addition, I have:

(1) a mini keyboard strapped to my leg kneeboard style

(2) a left-handed trackball mouse (with scroll wheel) velcroed to the side of my throttle

(3) VoiceAttack

I do not need to look to find (1) and (2), and use the nose gap to type on (1). Together with VoiceAttack, it's all pretty seamless without breaking immersion ....

Simple fix for a problem I've run into: If you're experiencing possibly game breaking judder, turn off your hud. Fixed mine to where I almost never see the effect. I'm a Rift user, and my computer's specs are up above.

Like bearfoot say, the nose gap make it posible to see the kayboard.

And a lot of People, me included can Write touch, so it is realy easy to use the keyboard without looking.

And the diferece of VR and normal gaming is like... Watching someone drive car on Television and actely driving a car in real life. Its that big of a diference :)

• Upvote 1

When I was a kid I would often spin until I got dizzy. Then, not much later, I was at a borrowed laptop playing a borrowed copy of Doom. Then I played FS95 until I was drunk in the head.

This may explain some things.

In addition to the many many, terrible things this did to my body, I gained an immunity to airsickness, VR sickness, seasickness, whatever it is.

But regardless to my story you may feel different.
With regard to my story, after playing only two hours I was still doing dives and low passes while I sat on the couch and watched TV. These feelings weren't too intense, and they lasted a half hour.   

I dont have the sim/game yet but will be purchasing it today now it has VR. I can say though for keyboard issues in other games I have found Voice Attack to be amazingly useful. Simply use a voice command to do what you would normally press a Key for.

I tried some formation flying before bed yesterday in VR. It dident go so good... I cliped the tail of my wingman, but my plane survived. hehe i felt real terror of what I had done, eaven if it was just AI. Only thing missing was the scream as he went down. Terrefying experience, I need some more practise before diving into multiplayer me thinks.  

eny good tutorials on Level bombing in He 111? I was a master at this in orginal IL-2, but Things are a bitt diferent here methinks.

The (strict) visual channel is compromised, but not only does your sensorium gain a new dimension, but entirely new parts of your brain get engaged that simply snooze during 2D.

Let me repeat that for effect: YOUR brain on VR is different in a way that you just cannot replicate on a 4K, 8K, or 2000K 2D screen. The visuals are secondary to the VR experience.

The first thing you notice is the depth perception and immersion. But, honestly, the wow factor of the immersion etc. will fade, but the fact that another aspect of your brain is now taking part in the simulated universe is what will have a lasting effect. Your situational awareness is much greater. Your sense of being is much greater. Your sense of location in space is much greater. You know your place in the aircraft, the sky, the world. 

Sure, everything is blurry like you have vaseline smeared on your goggles.  But you don't give a rat's caboose, because you are *there*.

Bearfoot your description of VR is the best I've read. Those comparing VR with TIR and a hi-res screen I suspect just haven't experienced VR yet.

But there is another factor to it. Flying online with friends and against other squads on full real air war simulation servers, like taw, is both immersive and very difficult. The blurryness is not an immersion killer here, far from it. But not being able to spot targets while they can spot you, sort of degrades VR to an awesome offline experience, and makes TIR still needed for this type of gameplay. Haven't tried VR in il2 yet so not saying this is so. Anxiously awaiting reports from the online flying part of the community.

Yes you will see degraded dot visibility but the immersion factor will wash that out of your mind real quick. Maybe after 50 hours or so of non-stop VR will you be yearning for sharper graphics. But as we know technology takes time but the 2nd gen vr screens are probably only a year away. I just hope the focus isn't only on wireless vr because the fidelity of the screens is where it's at with sims. 

Wauw, great to hear that an actual aviator approves of this sim and the VR implementation! - What planes did you fly in the Navy?

S! and thank you for your service. 

I flew FA18Cs and this was many years ago. The planes I flew are long retired just like me :).

I've been flying VR in DCS for almost a year now, and I've flown DCS almost exclusively because it had VR and IL2 didn't. I've only had about 30 minutes now in the IL2 BoS VR, but even that brief testing has left me feeling there is a new king for VR flight-simulation!

So firstly I'm really impressed with the performance: I'm running at 1.5 super-sampling (via Oculus Tray Tool) and the frame rate is really good so far, very smooth indeed. Not tried anything that would tax it too much (like lots of planes or explosions or anything), but so far it feels flawless. My hardware is good (GTX 1080) but then I'm running it at some reasonably taxing settings too.

Secondly, at 1.5 super-sampling the gauges are all really very readable and the overall resolution feels really good. Not tried any combat stuff yet, so will have to report back on what the spotting is like. But so far (from spotting ground objects) the resolution feels really crisp, so I'm optimistic. I also really like the VR zoom, it's a bit stronger than the DCS one and it applies a bit quicker, which are both good things IMO.

I also like the "limited VR view", doesn't cause any sickness for me (but then I've flown a lot of VR). My only issue with it (and it's a minor one) is that the head-bumping noise is too loud. Perhaps there's some way to turn down the volume of it that I haven't found.

Overall I'm super impressed, and I think I'll be spending a lot of time with IL2 BoX now :-)

I liked DCS in VR. It gave me flashbacks to my flying days, especially with the A10 since it had a few instruments in common with the FA18 (AOA indicator). But one thing is clear IL2 is much better optimized than DCS for VR. Still I can't wait for the FA18 module to finally show up in DCS. It's the only reason for me getting DCS in the first place.

• Upvote 1

Totally 100% agree with this. I have said countless times before on different sim forums that VR makes it easier to fly and fight, period. The trade offs on current resolution limitations is totally worth it. I can actually and consistently fly formation with AI in warthunder. We are talking really tight real-world military formation (like I used to do in real life). I made a custom mission in warthunder to do this. I haven't delved into BoX VR much yet since I am busy making an epic custom pacific mission in warthunder but when I finally do I know it will be very hard to go back to warthunder (it's the sheer plane variety that draws me into that game especially US navy craft).

My ultimate fantasy would be seeing IL2's beautiful sim engine match the number of a/c in warthunder. I know the IL2 devs simply don't have the resources but one can dream. I really wish 777 studios could hire a whole team of 3d modelers to ramp up production on aircraft. I would gladly pay more for an increase in variety.

With enough practice and a programmable keyboard VR is doable. But really if you are going to invest into VR for flying you better get a good HOTAS joystick set. I use the Rhino 56 myself. I have all essential commands fully on the HOTAS and extra commands on the keyboard and with a little practice and muscle memory I don't need to peek out of the mask anymore    :)

I flew FA18Cs and this was many years ago. The planes I flew are long retired just like me :).

F-18C's, wow! - Well... - Welcome back to 3D flying!

I have only put on a VR headset once at a demo in Gamestop over the Christmas holiday and was massively impressed at the feeling of depth and volume. I was kinda turned off by the seemingly low resolution though. I have not tried a flight sim using VR, but I bet it's just incredible. I would LOVE to say I could take the plunge and buy the stuff to get set up, but knowing I will need a new video card in addition to the VR kit, it's just simply not an affordable option at the moment with my fiancee and I getting married in October. I would also like to see what the second generation brings to the table as far as higher resolution before committing to it. For the time being, I am perfectly content with my TrackIR. It still does a splendid job, especially for and old timer like me who has been simming since long before head tracking was available. Of course I am DYING to give VR a go though. Reading all these wonderful comments and seeing the commitment of Jason and the whole 777 team has me frothing at the mouth wanting to try it, the same way I was when I saw TrackIR for the first time. Please keep the testimony coming, I love reading it! And a HUGE thanks to Jason and the 777 team for the continuous improvement and support on their amazing product!

I have only put on a VR headset once at a demo in Gamestop over the Christmas holiday and was massively impressed at the feeling of depth and volume. I was kinda turned off by the seemingly low resolution though. I have not tried a flight sim using VR, but I bet it's just incredible. I would LOVE to say I could take the plunge and buy the stuff to get set up, but knowing I will need a new video card in addition to the VR kit, it's just simply not an affordable option at the moment with my fiancee and I getting married in October. I would also like to see what the second generation brings to the table as far as higher resolution before committing to it. For the time being, I am perfectly content with my TrackIR. It still does a splendid job, especially for and old timer like me who has been simming since long before head tracking was available. Of course I am DYING to give VR a go though. Reading all these wonderful comments and seeing the commitment of Jason and the whole 777 team has me frothing at the mouth wanting to try it, the same way I was when I saw TrackIR for the first time. Please keep the testimony coming, I love reading it! And a HUGE thanks to Jason and the 777 team for the continuous improvement and support on their amazing product!

Congrats on finding a keeper! 

Ask around and see if you can find people in your area willing to demo flight sims in VR. There are usually quite a few!

I'll throw my vote in here as well to say that that the VR implementation is fantastic, it feels so much smoother to fly than any other sim. Now I just wish for proper Jet Seat implementation if Andre can work his magic and get it going. The Jet Seat is a must have add on for anyone flying VR. It pretty much eliminates most feelings of nausea and I've flown for periods of up to 4 hours straight in DCS with the Jet Seat implementation with no VR side effects.

Quick question, can you turn off the little FPS counter in the top right of your forward looking view in VR, and is there a way to get rid of the sound of my head hitting the canopy? I liked it at first, now after a few hours dogfighting it's getting a little wearing ;)

Awesome job on the VR BOS team.

Quick question, can you turn off the little FPS counter in the top right of your forward looking view in VR, and is there a way to get rid of the sound of my head hitting the canopy? I liked it at first, now after a few hours dogfighting it's getting a little wearing ;)

Look for toggle show fps in your key-bindings, that "should" do it.

Can't get rid of sound of head unless you disable VR cockpit restriction, under pilot head control I believe.

Want to voice my appreciation as well.  I can't believe how smoothly this runs in VR.  The experience is top notch.  I hate the term "presence" but it's really the best way to describe it.  I don't think I've payed attention to what is happening as much as I have now with VR.  Earlier today I was in a 109 chasing after one of those old Russian planes.  Suddenly I'm hearing machineguns going off to my left, real close.  I look over and BAM, another 109 right there just a few feet off my wing.  It was alarming, caused me to pull right off.  I get behind him, he pulls off after a few more rounds, and I get being the enemy, lay into him, smoke starts pouring out.  

Another time I was in a 110 shooting at bombers.  Having depth seemed to make it so much easier to lead them and to walk my rounds in.  At one point I got too close to one and it got some hits on me.  I pull off to the right, look to my left, find my engine in flames and my view turning red.  I quickly hit the canopy and start freaking out on the eject switch.  Suddenly I'm in the air, watching my flaming plane fall to the ground.  It's so much more engaging in VR.

The team should be proud of what they've done here.  I can't wait to see what comes in the future.  Pacific battles with carrier landings, I'm going to face first into the back of so many carriers!  

Look for toggle show fps in your key-bindings, that "should" do it.

Can't get rid of sound of head unless you disable VR cockpit restriction, under pilot head control I believe.

Doh, Thank you!

I see the thread about the VR bounds is causing a lot of heated comments, so I'll steer clear of that one for now, but it would sure be nice to just turn off the 'bump' sound for Expert level servers. I must hit my head against the virtual canopy anywhere between 30 and 50 times every time I get into a dogfight and it's more than a little annoying now.

• Upvote 1

Doh, Thank you!

I see the thread about the VR bounds is causing a lot of heated comments, so I'll steer clear of that one for now, but it would sure be nice to just turn off the 'bump' sound for Expert level servers. I must hit my head against the virtual canopy anywhere between 30 and 50 times every time I get into a dogfight and it's more than a little annoying now.

Most welcome!

I personally think it would be nice to offer the VR bounds restriction as an option even on Expert level, that could be set server side.

I play SP and would prefer to fly with that option off.

• Upvote 2