Han

Game version 2.009 discussion: Open VR support

Flew VR last night and can report that it was well worth the wait.  It was the most exhilarating combat flight sim experience  to date and that is saying a lot.  I flew for almost 3 hours online in an expert server and it felt as real as it gets. Thank you to the Dev Team.  I don't see myself in Moscow anytime soon, but Jason next time I'm in SoCal, I would love to buy you a beer :drinks:

Flew VR last night and can report that it was well worth the wait.  It was the most exhilarating combat flight sim experience  to date and that is saying a lot.  I flew for almost 3 hours online in an expert server and it felt as real as it gets. Thank you to the Dev Team.  I don't see myself in Moscow anytime soon, but Jason next time I'm in SoCal, I would love to buy you a beer :drinks:

I'm here dude unless I'm in Moscow or Vegas. :-)

Jason

Edit: any suggestions for improved visuals on VR are very welcome. I just want the images to be a bit "crisper".

First question: Rift or Vive?

Second, as someone else mentioned, Have you tried supersampling? I am using 4x supersampling and the screen door effect, god rays, and unfocused look are all but gone. SS is a miracle. I have no trouble IDing aircraft, reading guages, aiming, etc. and the entire game is beautiful.

After having issues with flight recordingsm (see zebra's thread) I saw there's acmi files on the tracks. Looks that we're getting tacview soon!

• Upvote 1

After having issues with flight recordingsm (see zebra's thread) I saw there's acmi files on the tracks. Looks that we're getting tacview soon!

Yes Tacview is being worked on and we're coordinating with Frantz. There was an issue with our map heightmap files. We don't use straight SRTM, we modify any off the shelf heighmap data to fit our needs. Frantz is working with us to convert our source files to work with TacView.

Jason

Second, as someone else mentioned, Have you tried supersampling? I am using 4x supersampling and the screen door effect, god rays, and unfocused look are all but gone. SS is a miracle. I have no trouble IDing aircraft, reading guages, aiming, etc. and the entire game is beautiful.

How are you setting your SS?

Jason

• Upvote 1

I briefly tried VR in oculus last night and it's a great implementation. It's clear that it was built with great knowledge and care, not just thrown out at us.

Thanks very much Devs as always. 

• Upvote 1

There are some bugs we missed and we'll put out a Hotfix as soon as possible.

Jason

Will this include a fix for the "gps" marker and "airfields always under attack" on the map Jason? I'm not a VR user, but I'm loving this update so far, aside from the afore mentioned map issues.

Will this include a fix for the "gps" marker and "airfields always under attack" on the map Jason? I'm not a VR user, but I'm loving this update so far, aside from the afore mentioned map issues.

Don't know. I haven't seen the final list, but probably.

Jason

I too would like to see the ability to toggle the recticle on and off.

me too :)

Also changing illumination level would be great (as in COD or even 46...)

Just wanted to say, the VR implementation and performance I'm getting is fantastic. Keep up the good work =)

Salutations,

Sounds great. Any images to post?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I've shelved this game when I got my HTC Vive and now it will return to its rightful place!

+1 for RoF VR support - if you put up a kickstarter, I'd be happy to contribute $100.

• Upvote 2

We also need a "how to" guide :)

Just finished a multi plane dogfight in VR down low over Stalingrad.

Gorgeoous, absolulutely gorgeous! What a blast!

VR seems nice but is not for me, I am not sorry for this, so if the game gets worse for this I shall be crossed and shall be right to be so!

Now each time I fly there are like visual bugs on the transparent part of any canopy is this normal or not?!

2017_4_12_17_15_37.jpg

See in the front part of the cockpit the little rectangular two bars forms?

I do not think this is something normal but a new bug!

Salutations,

Sounds great. Any images to post?

No amount of pictures or videos can mimic the VR 3D visuals.  You really need to try it, its that good. :salute:  

• Upvote 1

No amount of pictures or videos can mimic the VR 3D visuals.  You really need to try it, its that good. :salute:  

Agreed, not even close.

Agreed, not even close.

Ditto. VR, for me, has ruined gaming for me, I just cant go back to "flat" gaming.

Don't know. I haven't seen the final list, but probably.

Jason

Love VR, but I'm getting a gray screen inside goggles every 30 seconds. Anyone know what it is from? It's random.

Love VR, but I'm getting a gray screen inside goggles every 30 seconds. Anyone know what it is from? It's random.

I had that for a bit yesterday, but it appears to have resolved itself. Or fiddling with something else sorted it out without me specifically doing something, nothing major you understand, drivers etc just graphics options in game or getting rid of the blue circle. Good luck.

Rift?

I get this if one of my sensors is occluded, a quick flash to grey. Ensure they are properly oriented. My cats keep moving mine.

seems so...

... aaand GTX780 crash continues ...

Edited by ST_ami7b5

2.009b hotfix

1. Steam version startup and exit procedures improved;

2. VR error message when starting via Steam removed;

3. LaGG-3 with Sh-37 loads without errors;

4. Bombsight altitude and course gauges work on Expert difficulty now;

5. Far objects (>10km from player or camera) are shown on the map;

6. Navigation icons are shown on Expert difficulty;

7. Player Icon is shown on map on Expert difficulty;

8. Airfields are no longer shown "under heavy attack";

9. Flare gun GUI indication works in Bf 109;

10. Map scrolling fixed;

11. Pilot's hand with a flare gun is shown correctly during all seasons;

12. Bf 109 F-4 performance fixed;

13. White artifact in He 111 H-6 belly turret position removed.

• Upvote 11

Rift?

I get this if one of my sensors is occluded, a quick flash to grey. Ensure they are properly oriented. My cats keep moving mine.

It might be my cat walking in front of mine....and he's really fat too.

• Upvote 1

post was overly sarcastic

- is this a reason? I do not know the original post, but if it was removed not because it contained false statements, lies or insults, but only because it was perceived as "overly sarcastic" it is just funny. I wonder if this "patriarchal"-style reaction makes any sense.

People criticizing some aspects of IL2 do not intend to harm anyone's ego, but try to tell what they feel is wrong or what can be improved. This hopefully can lead to an ultimate combat flight sim. Both sides want it, users to play it and developers to sell it -- so what is the point to depreciate users criticism?

To stay on topic - I do not use VR, so no remarks on this. I noticed improved graphics and absence of greenish-yellowish haze, so my Reshade profile is no longer useful (and probably needed). Except for winter, where the snow is still slightly yellowish (to simplify things).

Trees - no comments needed, they are now great.

And I no longer feel like suspended on a long rubber lines, overall flight feeling is much better now (I mean more pleasant, I believe more realistic, too :P )

I am awaiting eagerly for improved rudder handling... 

Edited by NoMoreSteam

Wow, bHotfix! Now GUI is working correctly, menu/hangar and map stutters are gone! and everything just 24 h from a original patch release! Thank you Devs!  :)

The more I fly BoS in VR, the more amazed I am at what you guys have accomplished here. This is unbelievable for your first true official implementation.

When I was preparing to run this game in VR for the first time, I never dreamed I could be running it in Ultra graphics with a Pixel Density of 1.8 and still get great performance. I figured High seting if I  was lucky, what a pleasant surprise. And it really is beautiful, it looks even much better than what I had expected.

You guys ( The Team) can be very proud of what you have managed to accomplish here. I don't think I have seen any serious negative criticism from any of the VR crowd in here so far. Most seem to be as astounded as I am. Not sure what kind of magic dust you threw into the mix, but dang it sure is working.

It is good to be back into the BoS fold once again, and I see me flying this sim for a very , very long time now. I am looking forward to Kuban, but really am looking forward to the Pacific - can not wait to see that beauty in VR!

• Upvote 4

Had an issue with quick missions.....all worked but weapons....ran a PWCG mission and weapons worked....went back to Quick missions and weapons still did not work....rebooted and all seems ok....not sure If it was on my end or not.  Could someone else try QM's   thanks

The "strange" stuttering (27 players - Berloga) seems to be gone too. Tested now.

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro
  • Upvote 1

In the Focke I feel as my feet are where my knees are.

But the rest, the gauges and such, are in a beliavable scale.

It's just the pedals that are crazy far away (Mig3) or very near (Focke).

Heinkel and Me110 are about perfect.

I'm getting this too and I've seen a few others report the same. Someone suggested it is a performance issue and the game is switching to SteamVR for a second or two. However my performance seems to be solid until this flash happens. Hope someone can look at this.

The "strange" stuttering (27 players - Berloga) seems to be gone too. Tested now.

hm. sadly for me it seems to be still there after the new hotfix 2009b. menu and gui is ok, but in the cockpit (without VR) it is visibly stuttering, which is was not on 2.008 for me :-( i did not change any settings between the updates... random guess is the tree fix is heavier on the graphics load maybe?