Han

Game version 2.009 discussion: Open VR support

Plane cockpits/wings in VR are to small (out of scale,small, cramped), is there option to adjust this via stereo depth and/or convergence options (similar to ones which are remedy to the same issues one could have using Nvidia 3d vision) ?

They look good to me...

Remember, WWII fighters were small and cramped.

Also, is your IPD (interpupillary distance) set correctly in the VR HMD setup? Do you have a an Oculus Rift or a HTC Vive?

Vive working here now

Thanks for for sorting this with Valve, Jason. I'm glad we didn't have to wait for days for Valve to sort it.

Only had 10 mins on it, very impressed so far. Had a quick flight in the PE2....WOW!!!! Very smooth. Then I took off and landed in a Yak......excellent work team.

I can't wait to get some more flight time in. I haven't used my VR headset much, since I bought it. I used it a little bit in DCS. I still liked to fly DCS with a monitor but I think IL2 has changed the way I want to fly.

Nice work team.

Hi, bought Stalingrad a week ago in anticipation of VR. Played 1946 in the day, but never played this as a DCS fan. Fired this up last night for the first time, and it did not work. Checked this thread and saw the comments about steam messing up support for Vive. Checked again this morning to find it now works. First experience of BOS was in VR, it looks awesome on lowest settings, so this experience is only going to get better for me. This is great software.

• Upvote 2

is it possible to deactivate head bump sound in VR  ?

Yes, in camera settings uncheck the box. 

Yes, in camera settings uncheck the box. 

But this is for blocking the head movement so i can't see through my canopy ? i enjoy it like that i just want to remove the bumping sound :P ! i gonna make a try when i am back home

Did you play War Thunder and is your idea of how big the cockpits are based on that? I'm asking because WT has a tiny world. IL-2 seems to be almost perfect. They probably raised the world scale to something like 1.05 or 1.1 of reality, to prevent too much parallax.

Anyway, here's how you test it. Spread out your body as if you were sitting in the real cockpit. Remember that the pilot also had a parachute behind him, so don't glue yourself to the back of the chair. While looking at the rudder pedals, raise the HMD. Do you see your feet in the same position? Then the scale is fine. In WT my feet were in the propeller (exagerating a bit for humor purposes).

BTW, SteamVR has been fixed again a couple of hours ago. Enjoy. 

I'm comparing to DCS, and also the subjective impression that the rudder pedals are for someone with extremely big feet. I'll give your suggestion a try.

BTW, I think they sat on the parachute, like a cushion.

But this is for blocking the head movement so i can't see through my canopy ? i enjoy it like that i just want to remove the bumping sound :P ! i gonna make a try when i am back home

You can not remove only sound, it moves head block and sound together  :rolleyes:

Hi, bought Stalingrad a week ago in anticipation of VR. Played 1946 in the day, but never played this as a DCS fan. Fired this up last night for the first time, and it did not work. Checked this thread and saw the comments about steam messing up support for Vive. Checked again this morning to find it now works. First experience of BOS was in VR, it looks awesome on lowest settings, so this experience is only going to get better for me. This is great software.

:good: 

Great to hear Steam got a fix out quickly for the Vive guys.

And welcome, great to see several newer posters here on the forums after VR release!

That's SteamVR thinking that the game has become unresponsive and showing the SteamVR overlay instead of the game to prevent user discomfort. Obsviously, it shouldn't be happening during normal gameplay.

Hmm, well it happens in the menu/hangar screen as well. I can't believe I wouldn't be able to run that smoothy. I run DCS, War Thunder, Fly Inside for FSX & X-Plane smoothly. I didn't note the framerate, but when it isn't showing SteamVR it's smooth as silk.

Nice update. Don't have VR but 109s don't seem to be bobbing up and down as much.

There were no flight model changes

Brilliant, I finally got to try IL2 in VR and it's awesome. Thanks for finally implementing this. With that I'm 100% back on board and you'll have all my support again. Just bought BOM today too.

• Upvote 1

problems with 37 mm guns. The game stops and appear a logo with : shells 37x195...etc

Anybody know what is the problem??

I found a new secret feature. Gunners on 111 are firing like mad. Even belly gunner is using foward cannon to shoot planes now  :salute:

Edited by 6./ZG26_Gielow

problems with 37 mm guns. The game stops and appear a logo with : shells 37x195...etc

Anybody know what is the problem??

no; what, who, model of plane and where map, 

First time i try VR in a flight sim. The devs have done a really great job. The cockpit really comes to life in VR and you appreciate all the gauges and indicators as well as how small the cockpits were (the He111 actually feels huge and the gunner stations are absolutely amazing, dont forget to check them out).

There is no way you can appreciate all the work from 3D artists if you are looking at it on a monitor. I spent all the time looking inside the plane as opposed to outside, just the opposite as when i used trackir. You actually feel like using the instruments and getting​ rid of the hud completely. Landings are much easier because you get a very good sense of how you are doing.

The most amazing part is that there is no warping on the edges, so the planes feel much bigger, especially if you look out to the wings and the engines for the multi engine planes.

Unfortunately the resolution in VR is a bigger problem than i thought. Anything outside the cockpit is just horrible, and i mean horrible. This has nothing to do with IL2 and everything to do with the limitations of the headsets. It's so bad, im considering returning the headset and waiting​ till next gen.

I'll fiddle with more settings tonight, but I'm pretty sure i already tuned all the supersampling and adjusted my lenses correctly and im just hitting the limits of the VR headset.

Edit: any suggestions for improved visuals on VR are very welcome. I just want the images to be a bit "crisper".

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Upvote 1

absolutely mindblowing with the rift CV1, it gives me the impression I really flew a BF109...

thanks Devs for all the hard work.

Now, about the HE111 gunners, I have a lot of issues with the head movements: when moving, I sometimes have the whole environment shifting with me, instead of just my head moving in the fixed environment. I have made the "guardian" space bigger, but no improvements, and I have NOT selected the "limit VR move" option. As a pilot, I have zero issues when moving my head. Any clue?

thanks for your help!

Frederic

So this morning flying VR  I decided to climb to a bit of altitude and eject.

Very cool watching the pilot descending. Zooming in and watching the chute fluttering, the sun/shadows on the inside of the chute, moving view around watching the descent down to terra firma.

After hitting the ground safely watching the tall grass blowing in the breeze.

It looked very nice.

Edit: any suggestions for improved visuals on VR are very welcome. I just want the images to be a bit "crisper".

Have you tried Supersampling? This generation of VR requires at least 1.5 supersampling to be tolerable.

• Upvote 1

Awesome guys thank you!!! Oculus has just got a new client today thanks to you!  :biggrin:

I've never really tried VR before except a very short demo in a store with Vive. Are there any beginner mistakes to beware of to avoid motion sickness or other potential problems? Thank you for any advice.

I'm so excited. I've got the box here with me at work. I can't wait to go home to do my first VR flight.  :yahoo:

I'm sorry, but we cannot do this. We've maxed out the movement as much as possible and it is correctly modeled to the limits that are possible. Otherwise you go through the window. I know, I tried to make it larger on my trip to Moscow. Just simply turn off the head restrictions and you can easily put your head where you want.

Jason

Awesome then they already published the fix. Sweet.

Jason

Just a side note. Head restrictions in he111 feel funny as you are cloncking your head against open air inside the large cabin on your right side.

It seems like the DCS Huey module figured out how to work the reticle in VR.

Any chance you guys can talk to them or figure out how they did it?

Edit: or alternatively, could we prioritize the on/off reticle switch. It can be very distracting in VR in the current state.

Edited by Jade_Monkey

I don't have VR but the new graphic options and improvements are great! With the HUD off I get a major improvement in fps. Before it was 40s and 50s with highs at around 108. Now it's in 80s and 90s with highs of 140s! I'm also on ultra with everything maxed.

It seems like the DCS Huey module figured out how to work the reticle in VR.

Any chance you guys can talk to them or figure out how they did it?

Edit: or alternatively, could we prioritize the on/off reticle switch. It can be very distracting in VR in the current state.

It is a problem with the prop spinning in front of the recticle when ASW is in effect.

The DCS Spitfire has the same issue.

I too would like to see the ability to toggle the recticle on and off.

Anyone having a flickering issue like the tracking is making you look straight. It mainly happens on main menu and when the FPS is low, I have no conflicting tracking devices.

no; what, who, model of plane and where map, 

When I select plane lagg 3 and select 37 mm gun, game doesn't start.

This is the script that appear on the screen:

LuaScripts/WordObjects/Ballistics/Projectiles/Shell_rus_37x195_AP.txt

Thrilled to say that last night I had an opportunity to try VR again with the Viv, and it worked! Now I'm fudging with graphics and Nvidia settings in an effort to get things running a bit faster. On ultra with no hdr or ssao I'm getting about 60 fps. Under a single monitor I had been used to more... but I'm sure I have a lot of tweaking to do.

It is a problem with the prop spinning in front of the recticle when ASW is in effect.

The DCS Spitfire has the same issue.

I too would like to see the ability to toggle the recticle on and off.

You can disable ASW by pressing CTRL+1, this should help with warping issues that you see in the reticle. You can enable it again by pressing CTRL+4.

Edited by TP-Blackjack-

Interesting.  I hope they can take a look at this and do something about these river bank beaches.  If not, it took several years to find the key but I finally figured out how to get rid of the wonky zig-zag forests along the front lines on the RoF Western Front map a few weeks ago (see this thread:  https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/50481-zig-zag-forest-fix-mod-western-front-released/  ), so maybe when we finally get mods-on mode over here I'll have to try to learn how to fix the river banks.

Actually, after I got my vive downgraded so VR works again, I was looking at the rivers last night. I'm playing on ultra with 4x distance scaling and distant grass, and the rivers look much different. My rivers have appropriate sandbars and such at various points and at bends, etc. It might just be a LOD setting on your end. I'll update with a screenshot when I get off work.

IL2 in VR.

Ahhhhh yes please!!! 

Where do I buy ?  do I have to buy thru steamVR or direct?

In 2009 update our airplane icon in briefing map disappear in expert level.

The only means in with this icon return is turn de marks over objects on.

Is not there a way to just have the icon of our aircraft back on the breafing map with no tags on the objects?

Since yesterday's update.

I have the game that crashes after the launch. (With every update I have the problem that comes back).

- I uninstall the game and reinstall.
-DirectX is up to date.
-Windows 10 is up to date.
- Graphic drivers are up to date. (I even try with different version).
- I do not use seetFX.

I do not understand why for the game crach just after the launch.

IL2 in VR.

Ahhhhh yes please!!! 

Where do I buy ?  do I have to buy thru steamVR or direct?

If you like Steam buy through Steam. If you want to avoid Steam buy through us. Or buy BOS through Steam and buy the rest through us. That also works.

For VR you need SteamVR installed, but you son't have to have the game purchased on Steam.

Jason