Han

Game version 2.009 discussion: Open VR support

Using oculus. Open steam - start IL2 VR. Everything works on this end. (after changing that setting)

Oh, nvm. I'm on Vive which is completely borked. Ironically it was an update to add functionality to the Rift that killed us vive owners. Enjoy VR, we're taking a hit for you all.

edit. I deleted my comments to avoid confusion to rift owners.

Edited by critical_mach

Almost all the comments in this thread seem to be about VR, but I didn't really see another thread devoted to talking about non-VR aspects of the latest update, so here goes. I don't want to come off sounding negative, but the only two things I've had time to notice so far may seem like that.

1.  Bubble of blur still very much here (see first screenshot below):  Is there any chance this is ever going to be able to be fixed/addressed, or is it just an unalterable limitation of the game engine or something?  The "anti-tree-popping" work in this update really does seem to have improved things a lot from that perspective, so I'm hopeful that maybe this blur bubble thing can be fixed too at some point.

2.  I have been looking at other things (and flying other maps) for the most part in my previous testing, but on today's test flights I noticed that all the rivers I saw (at least on the Moscow Autumn map) look like they have white sandy beaches all along all the banks (see second screenshot below).  I don't remember ever seeing rivers IRL that looked like that.  Is that something that happened recently (as I said, haven't been paying much attention to rivers for a while), and is it remotely realistic-looking for rivers in that area of Russia?  It doesn't look at all natural to me, but if that's really the way things look(ed) over there I guess I could get used to it.

post-12147-0-94684300-1491960615_thumb.jpg

post-12147-0-09691000-1491960632_thumb.jpg

Almost all the comments in this thread seem to be about VR, but I didn't really see another thread devoted to talking about non-VR aspects of the latest update, so here goes. I don't want to come off sounding negative, but the only two things I've had time to notice so far may seem like that.

1.  Bubble of blur still very much here (see first screenshot below):  Is there any chance this is ever going to be able to be fixed/addressed, or is it just an unalterable limitation of the game engine or something?  The "anti-tree-popping" work in this update really does seem to have improved things a lot from that perspective, so I'm hopeful that maybe this blur bubble thing can be fixed too at some point.

2.  I have been looking at other things (and flying other maps) for the most part in my previous testing, but on today's test flights I noticed that all the rivers I saw (at least on the Moscow Autumn map) look like they have white sandy beaches all along all the banks (see second screenshot below).  I don't remember ever seeing rivers IRL that looked like that.  Is that something that happened recently (as I said, haven't been paying much attention to rivers for a while), and is it remotely realistic-looking for rivers in that area of Russia?  It doesn't look at all natural to me, but if that's really the way things look(ed) over there I guess I could get used to it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.762897,37.284069,3a,75y,187.22h,60.41t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-dLA12Qd_Nao%2FU1zbsS7RJ6I%2FAAAAAAAAAsU%2FUUElUX4Uy0A8r-3wwt13UyHtP7DwPIUXACJkC!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh4.googleusercontent.com%2F-dLA12Qd_Nao%2FU1zbsS7RJ6I%2FAAAAAAAAAsU%2FUUElUX4Uy0A8r-3wwt13UyHtP7DwPIUXACJkC%2Fw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya134.55695-ro-0-fo100%2F!7i7168!8i3581 Found this, Moskva River outside of Moscow. It seems that, like most rivers, beaches are absent and foliage goes up to the water. This seems like it would just be a texture edit to me, Not sure how their terrain is built, they might have a river asset that would need to be edited. For some reason, most flight sims seem to like river beaches...

Gentlemen, I think I found a temporary solution for HTC vive.

What I did is I installed steamcmd and downloaded the previous steamVR/openVR and overwrote my current file in my main steamVR.

And start the game, everything works fine, I just got my first A2A kill using VR in il2BOS.

instructions, if you can't wait for the official solution:

1) download steamcmd from https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

2) create a folder under c:\steamcmd

3) copy steamcmd.exe that you just downloaded into that folder

4) run cmd.exe

cd c:\steamcmd

steamcmd

5) in steamcmd, run:

login <YOUR-STEAM-NAME> # and enter password, and Guard.

app_info_request 250820

app_license_request 250820

download_depot 250820 250821 7480999888004961968

quit

this will create some folders and files under your c:\steamcmd

go to c:\steamcmd\steamapps\content\

you will find a folder named app_250820

6) in your normal steam, right click steamvr, properties, local files, browse local files. This will open your main steamvr folder in a browser

7) close running steam

8) copy all folder and files under app_250820 to overwrite the files in your main steamvr folder

9) start steam, run steamVR

10) start il2bos and enjoy!

going back to get more air to air kills~

in VR of course~ So far the best VR flight sim!!! great job, dev team~

• Upvote 4

What I did is I installed steamcmd and downloaded the previous steamVR/openVR and overwrote my current file in my main steamVR.

And start the game, everything works fine, I just got my first A2A kill using VR in il2BOS.

4) run cmd.exe

steamcmd

5) in steamcmd, run:

app_info_request 250820

quit

6) in your normal steam, right click steamvr, properties, local files, browse local files. This will open your main steamvr folder in a browser

7) close running steam

8) copy all folder and files under app_250820 to overwrite the files in your main steamvr folder

I'll give this a shot! Will update with results

Edit: Works for me!!!

One note I have is to log into steamcmd, use this format: login usrnme pword guard 

I was having trouble with the other format

Edited by critical_mach

correction: copy all contents under app_250820\depot_250821 to your steamvr folder

make sure to overwrite your existing files.

250820 is the steamvr appid, 250821 is openvr appid. 7480999888004961968 is the manifest id before the steamvr update

you may find in https://steamdb.info/depot/250821/manifests/

I'll give this a shot! Will update with results

yes, waiting for your reply while flying.

• Upvote 2

Anyone with a Rift having issues?

I seer the game on screen which has headtracking input but Im only seeing a grey screen on my HMD. If i vigorously turn my head, i can occasionally see a line of pixels on the extreme right which looks like its from the game.

Ill shall persevere...

Solved it, cat had pulled out usb

Cat Sabotage strikes again....

Mine sits right in front of screen (look at me and give me attention instead) or sits right on top of keyboard... and I can't use the water pistol to extract revenge due to electrical components...I swear he knows that.. Now banned or squirted as soon as he looks at computer then at me indicating his course of attack..

Gotta love them though... maybe that's why my daughter named him Ninja.

Dogs don't give a fat rats ar*e. just being with you is enough, and occasional treat to help.

Edited by Goanna1

Rift CV1 user here, crashes right at the start before the login screen. Might not be related, though, haven't tested for a while.

4) run cmd.exe

steamcmd

5) in steamcmd, run:

app_info_request 250820

quit

7) close running steam

holy shit Rabbi you are a genius! IT WORKS!

Many thanks for the update and the time to write very detailed notes for users. I will not be dragging passengers off of my overbooked Ju52 tonight. Just saying.

b12918b5d7aa701984ec8c59640f3767.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.762897,37.284069,3a,75y,187.22h,60.41t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-dLA12Qd_Nao%2FU1zbsS7RJ6I%2FAAAAAAAAAsU%2FUUElUX4Uy0A8r-3wwt13UyHtP7DwPIUXACJkC!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh4.googleusercontent.com%2F-dLA12Qd_Nao%2FU1zbsS7RJ6I%2FAAAAAAAAAsU%2FUUElUX4Uy0A8r-3wwt13UyHtP7DwPIUXACJkC%2Fw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya134.55695-ro-0-fo100%2F!7i7168!8i3581 Found this, Moskva River outside of Moscow. It seems that, like most rivers, beaches are absent and foliage goes up to the water. This seems like it would just be a texture edit to me, Not sure how their terrain is built, they might have a river asset that would need to be edited. For some reason, most flight sims seem to like river beaches...

Interesting.  I hope they can take a look at this and do something about these river bank beaches.  If not, it took several years to find the key but I finally figured out how to get rid of the wonky zig-zag forests along the front lines on the RoF Western Front map a few weeks ago (see this thread:  https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/50481-zig-zag-forest-fix-mod-western-front-released/  ), so maybe when we finally get mods-on mode over here I'll have to try to learn how to fix the river banks.

are you guys sure you are still on charge of your steam account ? you didn't have to give your bankaccount and pin ? xD great work if this really works. someone much more experienced than me, would never have found this solution. well, think I'll still just wait until tomorrows release ^^

Hi, I wish the developers could improve the VR experience when the head movement is constrained to the cockpit. Currently the interior space of a cockpit is not correctly modeled. So I can't rest my face on the gunsight to take aim as the way it was designed. This will affect my aiming experience using VR, a lot.

Please fix this issue in the future release~ Many thanks to the dev team!

• Upvote 1

Hum, Just downloaded the release and my Vive,starts fine. I have noticed a few things that I didn't see in Beta. Bomb sight isn't reading what it should(He-111)..as someone reported already. My techchat is way above my head to the left when it was center right. The Hud isn't visible at all. It should be down left..not there. 

Turning the Hud off and hitting "I" will give me about 20fps boost. The mouse will disappear in bomb sight or on exit and I have to ctrl alt delete to get out. All I have for a quick 5 minute test so far. 

Edited by 1./KG4_Blackwolf

Guys,

Before you jump through a bunch of hoops on a workaround, Valve says they have identified the problem and will work on an update to fix. Hopefully, that comes in the next day or so.

Jason

• Upvote 1

Guys,

Before you jump through a bunch of hoops on a workaround, Valve says they have identified the problem and will work on an update to fix. Hopefully, that comes in the next day or so.

Jason

Already works for me.  

Also, looks as we now have SS setting in the SteamVR settings. Or was it there before?

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791435040972/announcements/detail/251481378561929605

Edited by karamazovnew

Hi, I wish the developers could improve the VR experience when the head movement is constrained to the cockpit. Currently the interior space of a cockpit is not correctly modeled. So I can't rest my face on the gunsight to take aim as the way it was designed. This will affect my aiming experience using VR, a lot.

Please fix this issue in the future release~ Many thanks to the dev team!

I'm sorry, but we cannot do this. We've maxed out the movement as much as possible and it is correctly modeled to the limits that are possible. Otherwise you go through the window. I know, I tried to make it larger on my trip to Moscow. Just simply turn off the head restrictions and you can easily put your head where you want.

Jason

Awesome then they already published the fix. Sweet.

Jason

• Upvote 1

Great! They are so quick!

I'm sorry, but we cannot do this. We've maxed out the movement as much as possible and it is correctly modeled to the limits that are possible. Otherwise you go through the window. I know, I tried to make it larger on my trip to Moscow. Just simply turn off the head restrictions and you can easily put your head where you want.

Jason

Awesome then they already published the fix. Sweet.

Jason

Hi, Jason,

Most of the servers wouldn't allow free head movement for the obvious unfair advantage. Here are two questions,

1) Does the pilot wearing helmet? I feel like without a helmet my face should be able to make contact with the window so my vision should almost be lined up with the window frames. But now i perceive a big gap. The good thing about VR is that any out of life experience means something not right. If the pilot is wearing a helmet, will there be a option to remove it as most of the pilot during WWII may not wearing helmets. Also, there is a pad on the REVI sight, I believe it is for the face, so the pilot should be able to place his face on the gun sight for aiming. However, I cannot do this when the head movement limit is turned on. Do you think this is correct (I don't have experience in the real 109)

2) When I reached the limit in the cockpit, I can hear a loud sound as if I run into the window with helmet. The sound is the same regardless the speed of the hit, could you please give us the option to reduce or turn of the sound?

Thank you very much.

And I will definitely reinstall my steamVR to apply the fix.

Dear Jason,

Simply speaking if I face a window directly and lean my face onto it, my eyes should have much smaller distance to the window than currently implemented in the game. I wouldn't put my head outside of the cockpit, I don't want to play cheater. But I also would not feel good if the everyday visual experience belies me. In a VR set, you will be very easily perceiving distance. You wouldn't hit a wall in the everyday life under visual guidance. If in the game, you hit a wall before the brain tells you that, according to what it sees,you are going to hit a wall. This will create a strange, not ideal, feeling of the world.

I may not have any chance to measure the real cockpits, and I would love to trust your experience. And I am a vision scientist in real life, I still think there is room of improvement.

Thank you very much for the update.

Edited by 4./JG52_Rabbisaur

To those a few people that followed my solution steps... The steam team has very quickly provided hot fix. And I tested the new version, it works for my VIVE. Also the new version has introduce new features.

Please undo those steps simply by removing the steamVR and reinstalling it. Sorry for the trouble.

• Upvote 1

For those like me how do not have or want VR for medical or other reasons this patch has no reason to be let us forget it there is nothing to see with the exception of one or two to keys that needed to be remapped in the game and the graphic that need to be verified and reset! That all folks for those that have VR enjoy your game.

:salute: 

Thanks , on Vacation in Ferrari Land Tarraco Port Aventura , many good Simulators there and the Museum of Ferrari City on the wheel

Thanks for the Zoom option and there will be the other option for the ALDIS in one eye for the VR Htc Vive and Oculus DK2 to also zoom

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0e/c6/8a/0ec68ab3f2d007142a4358bfb0db3e00.jpg

And waiting for the next comming soon HTC VIVE 4k and Oculus DK4 2017 Q4 . Many Thanks !

!

Dear Jason,

Here is my updated comment. I think the windows on most of the planes are good. The only thing not looking so correct is the area in front, near the dash board and gun sight. If you duck down, you should be able to come more near to the dash board and also one should be able to put his face on the base of the gun sight.

• Upvote 1

First of all, the 2.009 update has been great other than the issues I've encountered. The new tree rendering system looks excellent, and I like the new sharpness filter.

However, I'm posting this here because it seems that I may have found a bug. After browsing this thread, I noticed someone mentioned issues with the airfields showing as constantly under attack on the map, and a reduced GUI performance, which I've also noticed following the update. I'm using the non-Steam version of 2.009.

Additionally, I've also been having difficulty with map navigation icons since the 2.009 update. When flying on "Normal" difficulty, I can see the "my plane" navigation icon as expected by opening the map with "O" and pressing the "I" key to show my plane. I can also see my plane in the mini map. However, on "Expert" difficulty, I cannot see my plane's icon on the map even after pressing the "I" key and looking at the map with "O." Prior to the update, I was able to see my plane's icon by doing so, and I verified that "Navigation icons" is still one of the items that gets enabled with "Expert" difficulty. Additionally, I have verified that this occurs in multiple game modes, multiplayer (Wings of Liberty server), Quick Missions, and a Single Player Mission. The only setting I changed after the update was adding the sharpen feature in the graphics settings after the update. I also turned off "show hud by default," but when testing the issue I also pressed the "H" key to no avail. I tried toggling the show hud back on in the settings, but it didn't make a difference. Has anyone else had similar issues after the update?

Bit of testing.... on a 6700K processor and GTX1070, Ju87 at 1000m altitude, solo flight. 

Initial settings:

- SS at 2.0,

- ULTRA quality settings

- no automatic downsampling from the game

- All options on (including 4X aa)

Result: 40fps

- HDR Off: 48 fps. Increased gamma to 1.1 to compensate darkness

- HDR On, SSAO Off: 54 fps. Honestly, can't really tell if SSAO is working in VR, can't tell any difference.

- HDR Off, SSAO Off: 66 fps. Overall, a huge increase just from these 2

Continuing from last...

- AA 2x: 73 fps

- AA off: 81 fps. Again, overall huge increase. If you use SS at more than 1.8, you don't need AA anyway.

Continuing from last...

- resolution set to absolute minimum. This prevents you from clicking in the initial login screen. Just press Enter

- display mode set to full screen

Result:89 fps

So far, except HDR which washes everything out, I have basically doubled the framerate, without compromising quality. During combat and near the ground, framerate drops quite a lot, down to 60 but usually 70.

Now comes the question of either decreasing SS or decreasing quality to High. Hmmmm.....

• Upvote 1

Two little « problems » since the last patch:

1/ on the map I do not find the icon of my plane the indicate my position and direction and impossible to find the way how to put it back on?!

2/ Twice in six “instant” missions the technical help like the gear up indication that is normally on the right side of the screen one under the other and fading after some time goes to the upper left corner of the screen one on top of the other and are very slow to fade and even more difficult to read?!

Are this new bugs?!

Plane cockpits/wings in VR are to small (out of scale,small, cramped), is there option to adjust this via stereo depth and/or convergence options (similar to ones which are remedy to the same issues one could have using Nvidia 3d vision) ?

Edited by 307_Tomcat

Confirmed: Steam's Steam VR Update tonight fixed the issue... VR is now working just fine with non-beta Steam VR with HTC Vive.

Confirmed:  Very nicely done.... love the experience in VR !! :salute: 

Thanks and Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

There is another issue when the "technical messages" go to the upper left corner of the screen like I noted in my previous post the mouse become ineffective (not working) in all the game? Strange and very annoying!

I'm also experiencing the issue where the SteamVR window flashes into and replaces IL-2 intermittently for 1-3 or more seconds and makes the game unplayable. When it is not flashing in the game runs smoothly and looks amazing. But unfortunately this is a bit of a show stopper for some of us Rift users.

The other thing I've noticed that could be related to this issue is that when it is not flashing and running correctly there is always the blue glowing floor ring from the SteamVR environment. I assume others are not seeing this?

The other thing I've noticed that could be related to this issue is that when it is not flashing and running correctly there is always the blue glowing floor ring from the SteamVR environment. I assume others are not seeing this?

The "blue ring" is the SteamVR chaperone. This is discussed in the VR tips. See here for instructions on how to remove: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28589-getting-rid-blue-ring-chaperone/

2. the camera center: in German planes, the aiming device is shifted to the right. That's how it's supposed to be, of course. But when I reset the camera, it centers me on it, slightly to the right of the cockpit. I am familiar with this from WT, so I know that I just have to shift my head right a bit before pressing the reset key. While in VR mode, can we get a real "seat center" instead of "reticle center" when we press the recenter key?

I guess this is a case of monitor paradigm concepts dragged into VR. When you are really in the cockpit (with really I mean virtually :D) you don't need to be artificially aligned with one of those sights with lateral offset, you just physically move yourself like you would do in the real cockpit. These are details that will be ironed out as developers are more aware of the physicality of VR.

Edited by crim3

1/ on the map I do not find the icon of my plane the indicate my position and direction and impossible to find the way how to put it back on?!

2/ Twice in six “instant” missions the technical help like the gear up indication that is normally on the right side of the screen one under the other and fading after some time goes to the upper left corner of the screen one on top of the other and are very slow to fade and even more difficult to read?!

Are this new bugs?!

Regarding nr 1, press the Labels button (default "i") when in the map. Works fine for me. 

Regarding nr 2, forget about the Hud. Seriously, only open it when you check the chat. Huge fps boost in some places. Apart from that, that bug never happened to me.

Here's how to remove it completely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvAkRtDxtR0

I'm also experiencing the issue where the SteamVR window flashes into and replaces IL-2 intermittently for 1-3 or more seconds and makes the game unplayable. When it is not flashing in the game runs smoothly and looks amazing. But unfortunately this is a bit of a show stopper for some of us Rift users.

What is your framerate? Sounds as if you are going below 45 fps. 

Plane cockpits/wings in VR are to small (out of scale,small, cramped), is there option to adjust this via stereo depth and/or convergence options (similar to ones which are remedy to the same issues one could have using Nvidia 3d vision) ?

They look fine to me. But yes, tweaking should be an option. Anyway, I have tried changing the or_ipd = 0.06590, but the game reverts it back every time. Even making the file read-only doesn't seem to help, the game ignores it. 

Edited by karamazovnew

That's SteamVR thinking that the game has become unresponsive and showing the SteamVR overlay instead of the game to prevent user discomfort. Obsviously, it shouldn't be happening during normal gameplay.

They look fine to me. But yes, tweaking should be an option. Anyway, I have tried changing the or_ipd = 0.06590, but the game reverts it back every time. Even making the file read-only doesn't seem to help, the game ignores it. 

I found the cockpits felt gigantic the little I could test before the SteamVR update. But I was so happy of the VR support that I didn't mind. Furthermore, you know these things get eventually fixed. But now that Valve screwed it (that's bad luck :/ ) I have time to comment those details here :D

So far everythign awesome. I have one strange soundhowever. No matter the plane (Tried 109 and 190) i have some sound as if someone is kicking against the plane from the outside.

Strange. Anyone got a clou what that could be? And no I am not being shot at whiel this sound occurs.

Just your head hitting the canopy.

I found the cockpits felt gigantic the little I could test before the SteamVR update. But I was so happy of the VR support that I didn't mind. Furthermore, you know these things get eventually fixed. But now that Valve screwed it (that's bad luck :/ ) I have time to comment those details here :D

Did you play War Thunder and is your idea of how big the cockpits are based on that? I'm asking because WT has a tiny world. IL-2 seems to be almost perfect. They probably raised the world scale to something like 1.05 or 1.1 of reality, to prevent too much parallax.

Anyway, here's how you test it. Spread out your body as if you were sitting in the real cockpit. Remember that the pilot also had a parachute behind him, so don't glue yourself to the back of the chair. While looking at the rudder pedals, raise the HMD. Do you see your feet in the same position? Then the scale is fine. In WT my feet were in the propeller (exagerating a bit for humor purposes).

BTW, SteamVR has been fixed again a couple of hours ago. Enjoy. 

Edited by karamazovnew