=X51=Europa

Shimmering, Fluttering, Jaggies, Flickering, Crawling

Hey guys, I am frustrated and need your help.

Right now I am running the game on a crate of intel 6700K, 16GB RAM, SSD decked with a Nvidia geforce 980 4GB.

My problem is, no matter what I have done I was not yet able to get rid of the shimmering, fluttering, jaggies, flickering, crawling (what ever you call) of the edges of the textures in the distance, over the threes and banks of rivers which is very annoying and distracting.

I am not new. Not new to comptuer games, not new to simulations, not new to hardware and not new to graphics settings etc. In fact I am an advanced and experienced computer user with trillion hours of gaming (mostly simming). And yes I am fully aware of the nvidia inspector and manager.

Nvidia addresses the problem something as Temporal TAAA or Transperancy TXAA anti aliasing. and says it will render better with these on and also using Dynamic Resolution Sampling is recommended. But on the contrary none of these techniques provides a complete solution for me. I favor DSR personally which I think I get the best quality. Still not a perfect solution and they all have a considerable impact on fps which my aim is minimum 60fps for air combat and yes the jaggies still there. (less but still noticable). Sadly the traditional AA's do not solve anything.

If I am missing something, of if I completely blinded myself by over focusing the problem please re-direct me to the correct path. I will be glad. 

Note: I deliberately do not share my current settings as I am still experimenting, so they maybe temporary at the current state which can distract you. People generally tend to focus on the snapshot of the temporal settings given and that may cause the conversation of arguements, discussions, assumptions and guesses, opinions of endless possible combination and permutation of the available settings.

Instead I am just hoping to find the direct solution if someone knows it.

Edited by =X51=Europa

Try to set Sparse Grid Supersampling in Nvidia inspector to atleast 2x. Note that you need to set your AA to the same e.g. 2x if you have Sparse Grid Supersample set to 2x. Shouldn't matter if you set AA ingame or in Nvidia Inspector.  You also have to set LOD Bias (DX) to -0.500 for 2x Sparse Grid,for 4x Sparse Grid set it to -1.000 and so on. Maybe set Negative LOD Bias to Clamp,but I'm not sure on this.

Edited by ST_Pirato

Pirato is right this is only solution to remove shimmers towards horizon at alt between ~ 500-1500m . But be warned after dx11 update it cost much more that before.

I use it in ROF (dx9) and I do not feel any impact on performance compared to BOS.

Edited by 307_Tomcat

I hate the shimmering a lot (stopped buying AMD/ATI cards years ago because of it), and I've had good success with using nVidia inspector to set sparse grid supersampling to 2x (with my older GTX cards) or 4x (with my newer 980 card).  I've never found it necessary to change regular AA setting (I always leave it as "application controlled") nor my LOD Bias setting (I've always left it as "clamp").  Been working great, with little enough performance impact with the most recent few generations of cards to be well worth it, both in RoF and BoS/BoM.

I hate the shimmering a lot (stopped buying AMD/ATI cards years ago because of it), and I've had good success with using nVidia inspector to set sparse grid supersampling to 2x (with my older GTX cards) or 4x (with my newer 980 card).  I've never found it necessary to change regular AA setting (I always leave it as "application controlled") nor my LOD Bias setting (I've always left it as "clamp").  Been working great, with little enough performance impact with the most recent few generations of cards to be well worth it, both in RoF and BoS/BoM.

Since we have the same chipset (GTX 980) and similar systems can you share your nvidia inspector profile and other configuration? Are you happy with it? Do you experience flickering?

Since we have the same chipset (GTX 980) and similar systems can you share your nvidia inspector profile and other configuration? Are you happy with it? Do you experience flickering?

Sure - they're attached hereto (only thing I changed with Inspector was the sparse grid thing).  I'm very happy with them from a lack of shimmering/flickering/jaggies perspective and FPS perspective.

post-12147-0-85224200-1491844715_thumb.jpg

post-12147-0-29707700-1491844732_thumb.jpg

Sure - they're attached hereto (only thing I changed with Inspector was the sparse grid thing).  I'm very happy with them from a lack of shimmering/flickering/jaggies perspective and FPS perspective.

Have you ever able to compare Nvidia's DSR with sparse grid supersampling?

I am sorry that I didn't say "Thank you" guys. All of you. I just waited to see maybe there could be more contribution and didn't find time to test your suggestions. With a little time I have found I have tested DSR in different multipliers and combinations. As far as I can say. DSR helps a lot reducing the shimmerings but not completely and additionally the graphics quality is much much better. It is just damn full screen anti aliasing. But I found out that even with the 980, the 4K is on the edge and very fragile but I am forcing it on the edge maybe I can find an optimal way. Or maybe I am doing  something wrong.

I will try to test them at the weekend. I hope I will have some free time. 

Glad it helped.  I did a lot of testing with DSR back when I got my 980, but frankly it never really impressed me all that much (not bad, just not noticeably better) so I wound up going back to the settings I posted above.  Of course, that was probably before the Moscow map and definitely before the update of BoS/BoM to Dx11, so maybe it would make more of a difference now.  Might have to try it again when I get bored and curious again :)

If I didn't do something wrong performance of the DSR was better for me though the graphics quality was indistinguishable. It is hard to say the difference but I am planning to make more tests. I compared 4X sparse grid sampling at 1920x1080. and 2K DSR. Will try 2x sparse grid. 

Hello Europa and Panthercules

I have read with great attention these posts about Shimmering, which like you I hate !

I am on Nvidia 1080 and until now I am having a real bad experience with BoS graphics afas shimmering is concerned.

Is it still possible to get your result without having Nvidia Inspector ?

Could you please advise me on which Nvidia Inspector version I have to install ?

Thank You very much

Madcop

Hi Madcop,

Right now I am using DSR at 2K which I think I have a better fps. For this you dont need nvidia inspector. You can switch it on/off from nvidia control panel.

But for "Sparse Grid Supersampling" you need nvidia inspector as that parameter is removed from nvidias control panel. It is only available with nvidia inspector.

IMHO sparse grid supersampling gives better results while DSR give better fps. Better test it with yourself.

This is the download link for the latest nvidia inspector

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

If you find time to test do not forget to share your results please.

Edited by Europa

SGSS performance dropped after switch to dx11, same resolution 3440x1440 on dx9 (Rise of Flight) works without visible performance drop. i7 6700,gtx 1070.

if everything checks out test; you won't need this any longer Graphics setting will have a new option to fix this issue on some people systems.

"in test at the moment"

Landscape anisotropic filter option that greatly reduces landscape textures shimmering at medium distances added, performance impact is minimal;

So far it looks great.

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff
  • Upvote 1

Hello Europa and Panthercules

Could you please advise me on which Nvidia Inspector version I have to install ?

For some reason that I do not remember now, I had a problem trying to use the latest version of nVidia Inspector - I'm running version 1.9.7.2, from a shortcut to which I have added the words "DO NOT UPGRADE" as a reminder to myself (which was probably a good idea, since I can no longer remember WHY I'm not supposed to upgrade :) )

Hello TG-55 and Europa.

Thanks for your advises. I have version 1.9.7.8 of Nvidia Inspector.

I have a stupid question. When I execute Nvidia Inspector.exe, does it override everything from the Nvidia Control Panel, and so the profile I created within it for BoS ?

Do I have to open Nvidia Inspector and chose the Il-2 Battle of Stalingrad each time I want to play BoS.

Is it a matter of choosing Nvidia Control Panel OR Nvidiainspector.

I want to know that before getting further. I am far from being a P.C. Geek ....

Madcop

Nvidia Inspector and nvidia control panel works parallel. If you make changes in the NCP and save it you will see the changes in NI too and vice versa. 

You dont have to open NI every time. Just set the settings for IL2 and save it. That is all. 

NI is more detailed and more customizable compared to the NCP but they do the same thing overall.

Hello Europa and TG-55

Many thanks for these explanations. Thanks to you I may say that my BoS is now simply stunning. No more shimmering,flickering or jaggies any more, not even at a very far away distance.

I play 3440 x 1440 on Ultra settings with Vsync off and Dist.Landscape detail at 4. Target FPS is off and AA on 4. SSAO/HDR/SHARPEN and Dist Grass are all checked.

In NI I have Anti Aliasing Mode= Override. AA Setting at 8xQ (8x Multisampling) and Transparency Supersampling at 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling.

During Quick Mission on 1 vs 1 (Lapuno Summer) I have plus minus 60 FPS constant.

I am now reconciliated with BoS.

A very big Thank-you to you both.

Madcop.

Windows 10 Home

ASUS Strix Z270G Gaming

i7-6700K CPU@4.00GHZ.

16.0 GB RAM.

MSI GEFORCE GTX 1080 Gaming X

AGON AOC GAMING. 35 Gaming Monitor Curved 100Hz.

• Upvote 1

I am glad to hear that and envy you with your 1080p. I can't get that fps with my 980 with that configuration and while you overkilled  ;)

Edited by Europa

if everything checks out test; you won't need this any longer Graphics setting will have a new option to fix this issue on some people systems.

"in test at the moment"

Landscape anisotropic filter option that greatly reduces landscape textures shimmering at medium distances added, performance impact is minimal;

So far it looks great.

Thank to devs after the update it seemed to me that there is a significant improvement with the problem.

• Upvote 1

Indeed - the new landscape filter from this latest updated (2.010) seems to do a pretty good job of eliminating the shimmering.  In my tests today it looked very solid out to the horizon with the SGSS I usually run turned off.  There was still some sort of minor crawling/shimmer-like thing going on in the trees out near the "bubble of blur" line that was a bit annoying - not all that bad (and way better than stock without SGSS used to look) but since I hate anything like that I tried turning SGSS back on at 2x and that seemed to fix that issue and didn't appear to be causing any undesirable side effects.  I'm still trying to decide whether I like the "sharp" or "blurry" setting better.  To some degree the blurry one seems to mask/reduce the "bubble of blur" line slightly better - it's still noticeable but a little less so than with the "sharp" setting. 

If the new landscape filter setting works as well for AMD card users as it did for me on my GTX980, I think the AMD users are going to be pretty happy campers finally.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

Is there anyone willing to share his Nvidia settings with the newest update?

Whenever I try using extra antialiasing and sparse grid etc I get some weird white or black dots moving on the horizon.

Id love to see what Nvidia settings and ingame settings you use if your game looks good without shimmering or any annoying side effect.

A couple of screenshot would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy