kendo

New Graphics Options and Improved Trees Coming in 2.009

The news is in the latest sale announcement here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28483-big-sale-april-5th-2017-till-april-15th-2017-66off/

Thought it deserved more exposure, so here's the detail:

"And not only VR fans will like the 2.009 update - we made significant improvements to our graphics and GUI subsystems. For example, the trees 'popping' effect when you fly close to them is nearly gone now so it won't detract from immersion. New graphics options were added like post-sharpening visual filter that has almost no impact on the performance and a dynamic resolution system that can decrease or increase graphics clarity on the fly to try and keep the frame rate on the level you set. We'll tell you more about all this cool new stuff in detail next week with the 2.009 version release. Stay tuned!"

• Upvote 2

:good: 

Nice! The more ability we have on the graphics the better, especially in VR.

I didn`t want to say, but I did notice the weird effect on close trees - which I guess is the `popping` they`re talking about? To me it looks like the tres just jerk wierdly. Be nice if that is smoother.

I`m not so hot on VR since it`s a lot of effort and I still doubt so many people use it in this game, but whatever.

• Upvote 1

Guest deleted@30725

Thanks for sharing Kendo.

This will be cool. I got so sick of my distance looking like crushed glass on 32 inch screen I used a suggestion from someone and cranked the settings via nvidia control panel with almost no performance loss, but good visual gains.

I heard they had more plans for extra options in the menu for the release of bok, but that might be incorrect or this may be it.

I'm also reading that and looking at the sale wondering why the yak 1b and the ju 52 is not on sale. I don't understand their pricing structure on the battle of starlingrad plains vs the bom planes or is that simply marketing in the hopes that people will buy both? It's worth buying both. I'm just stupid when it comes to sales :unsure:

I can't afford it mate... so I have no interest in it.

I can afford it, but the jury is still out whether it's a worthwhile use of money or a fad proliferated because it's new and shiny.

Edited by deleted@30725

im waiting for this game to get VR then ill start saving foe the oculus rift or th HTC Vive, hopefully by the time i get the money the implementation has matured a bit more! :D

Edited by 19.TAW//SAG

I'm also reading that and looking at the sale wondering why the yak 1b and the ju 52 is not on sale. I don't understand their pricing structure on the battle of starlingrad plains vs the bom planes or is that simply marketing in the hopes that people will buy both? It's worth buying both. I'm just stupid when it comes to sales :unsure:

Nah. I was the same. Immediately checked and, no, they`re are still top price. :(

Just a thought off the top of my head.  As long as there is going to be any tree popping maybe it could be made to look like the wind is blowing the trees. 

Jason has said a few times, and I'm paraphrasing here, that they discount the older stuff more than the newer stuff and a few things don't go on sale because its too soon to be able to do that. Remember that this is a business and one that exists in a small niche market. They have to make money or they stop existing.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Upvote 1

Great news about the trees. I wonder if a similar technique would benefit the movement of the clouds when viewed from nearby?

• Upvote 3

Great news about the trees. I wonder if a similar technique would benefit the movement of the clouds when viewed from nearby?

I'm very interested in this as well. I cant stand the cloud movement thing. I also wonder if the changing of resolution on the fly is the same adaptive resolution tech used in Titanfall 2? I have never played Titanfall, so I would be interested to hear from someone who has. I definitely want to know more about all the graphical stuff coming our way. Just in what they have told us so far, this is turning out to be a pretty epic update. I hope they surprise us with some more unexpected "goodies" as well. :)

Jason has said a few times, and I'm paraphrasing here, that they discount the older stuff more than the newer stuff and a few things don't go on sale because its too soon to be able to do that. Remember that this is a business and one that exists in a small niche market. They have to make money or they stop existing.

Amen.

A lot of effort goes into the development of these simulations. People's livelihoods depend on the income we generate for our Sim. If you want to talk pricey, look at some of the competition's prices (ie:DCS, again the livelihood thing, it just may cost more for their development models), and you will find you get some pretty good bang for your buck. The sales are just a nice bonus. It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'd say these people work pretty hard for us. Just my 2 cents on the subject. That Ju52 model took a lot of time to develop. Outside of perhaps some very sophisticated civilian flight simulation (that may or may not exist) it is an enthusiast's plane. And this may be the very best and most accurately modeled simulation of what it's like to fly one of these birds presently available to us as consumers.

Plus I'm pretty sure I've seen that go on sale in the past at different times, but I reserve the right to not have to check that as a member of the peanut gallery. Carry on. And thanks for the cool discussion. :)

IF this turns out to be the case, I'd say it's worth waiting for. That's a lot of work going into this next patch. My wingman and I keep checking the site daily for news of a VR release-as vive and rift users. It really is that exciting if you've ever flown VR before. Besides, less expensive VR competition is definitely on its way. I hope you do get to experience a VR flight sometime soon and you guys and gals will see what we are so excited about. We are looking forward to a working vr release in the near future.

Lol, rant off. :)

Edited by Beazil
  • Upvote 1

​Outstanding news. Thanks to the devs for their tireless work!

-. I also wonder if the changing of resolution on the fly is the same adaptive resolution tech used in Titanfall 2? :)

I interpreted the announcement to mean that the resolution changes dynamically during play. Eg; dropping from 4k to 2k or 1080 when necessary to maintain FPS. I've never been tempted to use such options, but I imagine its a bearable trade off if you're already running at 4k.

BF Bunny, what' it liking playing on 32 inches? Does it make spotting much better compared to say 24 inch?

Regards

Albino

How ironic to see who praise ju52 is such a great plane to fly are asking why it isnt on sales.

The very existence of this sim hinges on products developers make. Ppl should reflect on this amazing story of ju52 and stop demanding some flyable transport planes.

Getting rid of the "bubbling" forests is gonna be nice. I'll second Feathered's statement about fixing the clouds as well.

This will be cool. I got so sick of my distance looking like crushed glass on 32 inch screen I used a suggestion from someone and cranked the settings via nvidia control panel with almost no performance loss, but good visual gains.

I heard they had more plans for extra options in the menu for the release of bok, but that might be incorrect or this may be it.

I can afford it, but the jury is still out whether it's a worthwhile use of money or a

"fad proliferated because it's new and shiny."

this flight sim has been out since 2013, how is that new?

They have proven themselves for the last 4 years, whats the matter with you?!

Updating of clouds and trees will be much less noticeable in Ultra settings in the next update.

Jason

• Upvote 3

Updating of clouds and trees will be much less noticeable in Ultra settings in the next update.

Jason

Both trees and clouds!?!? Bloody awesome!!! :biggrin: Edited by Finkeren

About this VR-thing, and to those already using and praising it: Do you guys fly online? I'm sure it's a great experience and as close to "being there" you can get. But I have no interest in single player or flying with icons on (latter would probably destroy any "there" feeling for me).

So is the resolution or picture quality good enough for competitive online playing on full real servers or would I be a blind target enjoying the sensational experience? My mouse pointer has spent much time hovering over that 'buy' button.

Need to test it before shouting " it is a miracle"!

But until now I was never deceived by each patch so, thanks for this announcement. :salute: 

Edited by senseispcc

Hopefully they will go into some detail about these new options and optimisations in the DD this week.

About this VR-thing, and to those already using and praising it: Do you guys fly online? I'm sure it's a great experience and as close to "being there" you can get. But I have no interest in single player or flying with icons on (latter would probably destroy any "there" feeling for me).

So is the resolution or picture quality good enough for competitive online playing on full real servers or would I be a blind target enjoying the sensational experience? My mouse pointer has spent much time hovering over that 'buy' button.

From my experience with War Thunder it will be easier to spot planes because dots are bigger, due to lower resolution. The biggest problem is with identifying planes. You will have to be very close to be able to see a difference between LaGG and Bf109.

I personally do not fly online. I have seen mixed reports on this from some on other forums.

Some guys say ID'ing targets is very difficult in VR, and with the lower resolution I can see where that would be. Certainly with them being "full size" when they are close fairly easy to see, but when at somewhat of a distance tends to blend in with the surroundings.  I have seen a few say that is not that big an issue.

If competitive online MP without labels is all you do,  and It sounds like that would likely be more important to you than the immersion factor, you may want to at least hold off till you hear some reports of how it is in BoX .

• Upvote 1

Marklar and Dburne, thank you for the input here. I'll hold off on it for yet a while, till the Box-vr reports are in.

From my experience with War Thunder it will be easier to spot planes because dots are bigger, due to lower resolution.

As bos renders differently and a lower resolution does not help improve spotting here (in contrary to a higher resolution screen), this is a false assumption.

I can afford it, but the jury is still out whether it's a worthwhile use of money or a fad proliferated because it's new and shiny.

Salutations,

"I'm also reading that and looking at the sale wondering why the yak 1b and the ju 52 is not on sale. I don't understand their pricing structure on the battle of starlingrad plains vs the bom planes or is that simply marketing in the hopes that people will buy both? It's worth buying both. I'm just stupid when it comes to sales."

Understanding in NOT required pilot. Just blind support and obedience. Buy all that are available regardless of price.  :biggrin:

Competitive dogfighting in VR - I have to see to believe it but ground attacking in il2 hell yea.

Agreed. I'll wait and read the upcoming in-game VR reports from our more adventurous and risk taking pilots before taking on the cost of VR hardware.

• Upvote 1

Salutations,

"I'm also reading that and looking at the sale wondering why the yak 1b and the ju 52 is not on sale. I don't understand their pricing structure on the battle of starlingrad plains vs the bom planes or is that simply marketing in the hopes that people will buy both? It's worth buying both. I'm just stupid when it comes to sales."

Understanding in NOT required pilot. Just blind support and obedience. Buy all that are available regardless of price. :biggrin:

Agreed. I'll wait and read the upcoming in-game VR reports from our more adventurous and risk taking pilots before taking on the cost of VR hardware.

Having Rift, I can recommend seriously looking at alternatives like pimax4k in the next 6 months. The screen doors are a little bit annoying at the moment in other titles I've experienced. But this is not due to any software, simply the hardware. I fully expect to forget about it once up in the air most of the time.

Having Rift, I can recommend seriously looking at alternatives like pimax4k in the next 6 months. The screen doors are a little bit annoying at the moment in other titles I've experienced. But this is not due to any software, simply the hardware. I fully expect to forget about it once up in the air most of the time.

I bought the Pimax4K two weeks ago in a sale and i won't recommend it to anyone interested in simulations.

It uses gyroscopes instead of head tracking and the drift is more than annoying.

I don't know if it is a problem with the current software, my rig or the device but i have also serious problems getting it to work at all.

It can take several restarts of the computer until it is recognized and it can take several minutes until it gives up and the 'where is my PI' message pops up.

When it finally runs it is stable so far.

But what made me putting it down is the refresh rate of only 60 Hz, in DCS i had sometimes only 30 Hz and that is simply not enough to use it for more than a few minutes.

I have no experience with a Rift or a HTC Vive but every review i read or watched told the same regarding image quality, the Pimax4k should be much superior. If this is really the case i don't even want to try a Rift/Vive as i find the image quality of the Pimax far from satisfactory to use in a simulation.

I used it in Assetto Corsa but quickly gave up as i was unable to see the next corners early enough to slow the car down. Flying a helocopter in DCS close to the ground (Nevada) was OK, but the low fps and bad tracking made me sick.

So before anybody orders such a device i would seriously recommend to check it out beforehand, if possible.

• Upvote 2

I didn`t want to say, but I did notice the weird effect on close trees - which I guess is the `popping` they`re talking about? To me it looks like the tres just jerk wierdly. Be nice if that is smoother.

I`m not so hot on VR since it`s a lot of effort and I still doubt so many people use it in this game, but whatever.

Yes it's about the poping tree, or the feeling that the forest move by itselves, it depends how we call it. 

To be sure, go in Qmb, select Moscow map. Select the airfield at the west of Moscow (single plane). Take off, and stay above the tree. You should see the tree poping or moving. That's what they talk about.

I have no experience with a Rift or a HTC Vive but every review i read or watched told the same regarding image quality, the Pimax4k should be much superior. If this is really the case i don't even want to try a Rift/Vive as i find the image quality of the Pimax far from satisfactory to use in a simulation.

I used it in Assetto Corsa but quickly gave up as i was unable to see the next corners early enough to slow the car down. Flying a helocopter in DCS close to the ground (Nevada) was OK, but the low fps and bad tracking made me sick.

So before anybody orders such a device i would seriously recommend to check it out beforehand, if possible.

The Rift has a 90 hz refresh rate and runs at that. If FPS drops below 90, then ASW kicks in which interpolates the frames to continue to give a smooth experience down to 45 fps. But effectively is still at 90 hz.

I have spent a lot of time in the KA-50 with the Rift, and other than the initial first few days of feeling pretty queezy, that settled down and I can now play any amount of time without it really bothering me. I have found the tracking to be incredible, does not miss a beat for me.

But no doubt VR will not be for everyone, especially with the loss in resolution compared to a high res monitor.

There is so much contradicting information about the various VR equipment. Pro and con. I'll keep watching, reading and waiting. The idea is so compelling... it's in the execution where the questions lie.

Edited by Thad

But no doubt VR will not be for everyone, especially with the loss in resolution compared to a high res monitor.

I may be getting a Rift, but I'm not sure I understand the magnitude of the resolution issue: would you consider the level of detail (subjectively) comparable to a 1080p screen, to a 720p one, or worse than that?

Also, is there any noticeable input lag or ghosting when turning your head or moving the joystick?

Thanks

I may be getting a Rift, but I'm not sure I understand the magnitude of the resolution issue: would you consider the level of detail (subjectively) comparable to a 1080p screen, to a 720p one, or worse than that?

Also, is there any noticeable input lag or ghosting when turning your head or moving the joystick?

Thanks

I was using a 1080p screen. Up close, in the cockpit, it is just as good to me. Heck better for me, as I can see everything better ( no need for reading glasses when flying anymore for me). One can really appreciate the beauty and the work that went into those cockpits when seeing them full size. Same with the exterior of the aircraft.

At a distance, it is lower. The further away the worse it will be. It will all start to just kind of bend in together at some point.

But I will tell you, I am so immersed in the experience of being " in that world" versus looking at a monitor, it does not bother me in the least. But for some it will. I have had some great SP dogfights in another sim and I was just so dang immersed into those it really is very difficult to even try to describe.

Now with my rig, I am able to run a Pixel Density of like 1.5-1.7 without any problem ( Super Sampling) and that certainly helps some in the image quality.

Please note my comments are my experience in another sim, and I really looking forward to seeing how BoX runs in VR on my rig. Based on comments I have seen, I expect the experience to be very similar.

Edited by dburne