Why the Pause on start?

seafireliv

Does anyone find that the Pause on start on the airfield annoying? You start, get ready to go and- You have to unpause. Why?

Why not just start us right on the field? I hit the engine start, but oh, I gotta Unpause first.

Seems unnecessary.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 3

I think the origin of this is the excessively large loading times of ROF. When ROF first came out, with my not-so-great PC, loading times were horrendous (some times up to 5 minutes). Having the mission paused after loading was really useful since I could go and perform some other task while the game was loading.

Fortunately, they did come up with a solution, by compressing the game files in a different manner, that allowed for a much faster mission load. But the pause button remained, and was kept for BOS. I guess if you are running an HDD and a minimum spec pc your loads can still take some time (maybe 1-2 mins?) and it comes in handy.

Edited by Pupo
  • Upvote 1

Why not just start us right on the field? I hit the engine start, but oh, I gotta Unpause first.

Ahhh, players complain against all...  :biggrin:

Go to controls, search for pause function (in Service), add the key "E" for this. "Two rabbits with one shot";)

- This work, I test before post.

Don't forget that for air start use only the conventional pause "P" key, for obvious reasons.  :)

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

Guest deleted@30725

If I was being super picky I would like the option to just be able to start without the pause function making me do one extra step.

At least auto level can be turned off by pressing SHIFT + A as when I first got the game I used to just yank the stick to turn it off which would sometimes take me into all kinds of trouble.

Does it annoy me?

I get by with a little help from my friends.

Edited by deleted@30725

JG7_RudeRaptor

If I was being super picky I would like the option to just be able to start without the pause function making me do one extra step.

At least auto level can be turned off by pressing SHIFT + A as when I first got the game I used to just yank the stick to turn it off which would sometimes take me into all kinds of trouble.

Does it annoy me?

I get by with a little help from my friends.

Disengaging the auto pilot after the pause always annoyed me. I did not know how to unless I  pull up on the stick or rudders. But Sokol has a good idea. Thanks Sokol !

Edited by JG7_RudeRaptor

Feathered_IV

I must admit I'm prepared to live with it, but it annoys the crap out of me too.  :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

I run SSD and my load times are about 10 secs and it is pretty annoying everytime you load in. 

Maybe they could add option to disable it.

• Upvote 1

It may seem a small point to some, and technically it is.. but i`ve been testing my controls and trying to sucessfully take off in a quick takeoff practise. Now my controls have been playing up big time. My rpm controls, for example was not going 100%, even though I pushed the levers all the way, which i didn`t realise. So several times while trying to take off i`d spin off or just not get off the ground..

This meant a LOT of reflying trying to figure out what was the problem...

Restart mission, Start , Unpause, start engine, start rolling -crash, Restart mission, Start, Unpause, start engine, start rolling -crash, Restart mission, Start , Unpause, start engine, start rolling -crash. Start , Unpause, start engine, start rolling -crash, etc, etc.

lol. Put on the labels and saw that my rpms were only going 50% as well as everything else. then had to reset everything and reconfigure, with the game crashing every time I did. Took me a few hours to finally get it all working right... And I have work to do! gah!

Then I finally started getting airborne! But all that Unpausing was just an extra `thing` that seemed totally superfluous.

Edited by seafireliv

It seems you got it sorted, but rpms not getting to 100% was the first indication that my x55 throttle was breaking to pieces; the wires were breaking up from throttle movement.

And yes pause at start is not ideal, but does it serve a purpose in custom built missions where intros can play?

Hmmm. If that`s the case with my quadrant they`ll be going back to the company. They`re not even a year old.

gnomechompsky

True, having to unpause and deselect auto-level is annoying, but nothing is more annoying that this:

39EQsTR.jpg

Multiplayer guys will know what I am talking about.  

Edit:  please note this is a poor attempt at humor.  

Edited by gnomechompsky
  • Upvote 1

71st_AH_Scojo

-snip-

This doesn't bother me personally, but I can see how it would bother others

=TBAS=Sshadow14

HOW DOES IT MATTER?
(also where else would it go for a sliding panel, having it stay on right side would make no sense.)

Just move the mouse a whole couple inches and close it!!

At one point Enter closed the mission/spec tab but then a game update removed that ability.
or did I dream that..

Ooo can I raise a frustration? I wish every MP mission description had the date and temperature in it (and even wind speed/direction at various altitudes).

Some do I know.

thats purely upto the mission maker if they want to state the temps and winds

• 3 years later...
=IL2AU=ToknMurican

Necro'ing a two year old thread because I was googling to see if there were a file I could edit to disable the auto-pause at start of a single player mission... after I've clicked start I've had enough time to put my hands on my stick and throttle.. have my VR headset on and would prefer not to fumble for a button/key that I couldn't fit on my hotas setup.  

Start means start imo.  Worth adding to the next possible update imo.   Just a checkbox or something that turns it off for those that prefer it that way. 

Edited by =IL2AU=ToknMurican
  • Upvote 2

Yes, it is extremely annoying, even more so the level autopilot. I wish it would at least be possible to move your head around while paused, this could be useful to fill the caches and reset the head tracker before starting. 

I find the pause at start mildly annoying most of the time and very useful sometimes...

So overall I‘m happy to keep it. ^^

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the pause option is kind of tradition in WWII simulators? I could swear I remember a pause was also in other combat flight sims.

In VR with an air start it is somewhat useful in order to check that my (hidden from view) hands are indeed on the correct dials and switches, headset is working OK and so forth. On the ground starts I have the same view - check all working with the RIFT then start the mission

2 hours ago, Goffik said:

Don't have an issue with it myself. It's pressing a key. For me that's easy even in VR.

Same here. I even have it bound to a button on my throttle. Easy peasy.

I would rather the dev team work on more important things than dealing with complaints about minutia. Press “P” and get on with it!
Seriously how can a topic like this generate a page of discussion? 🙄

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I actually prefer it myself. I've found that sometimes you need to rec enter everything when you spawn in, particularly in VR, and I would rather have that moment after load in where I can cycle all the controls and get the view locked up before the launch. 

There's nothing quite as disorienting as spawning in and finding your view point is behind the headrest. 

On some other flight sims, it still takes long enough to load in that I still step away after the launch and wait for the pause. 

=IL2AU=ToknMurican

Making auto-pause at start optional is probably not the most demanding programming task asked of a team of developers, friends.  Options are good.   Some of us like it..some of us don't.  They can appease us all on this one.   Lines of code and a check box in the menu gui.   During the development of another game I play 1 programmer was able to add a more complex task overnight once requested. A group of 6 devs.     If you're fine with the way it is, you're good... those of us that aren't are making a pretty simple and reasonable request.    All of my hotas bindings are used, some even duplicates.  Like I'd love individual bindings per plane too.   Not everyone's situation is the same. 

Edited by =IL2AU=ToknMurican