Sign in to follow this  
smink1701

How do you ...

It's been a very long time since played Cliffs but I am excited to have an old / new flight sim.  Thought it might be nice to have a "How do you ..." thread for those who can't figure out how to so something, like me!  I'll start if off.

I mapped cockpit mode, outside mode and fly by mode on my joystick but when I select outside or fly-by, I can't get back in the cockpit.  Any input would be appreciated.

Use LEFT ALT key + 1 to jump back in pilot position. If the plane nas more positions you can use them in sequential order, ALT + 1, 2, 3 ...

For external views use left ALT + F1, F2, F3 etc

A few more questions ...

Can you toggle aircraft labels?

Can you get rid of the throttle icon in lower left corner?

How do you get rid of the girl in the spitfire?

Thanks!

Can I delete epilepsy text from beginning for short loading the sim?

I remember it was something in cfg I think.

Press spacebar to avoid the waiting time ;)

A few more questions ...

Thanks!

Can you toggle aircraft labels? - No - solution, move your mouse cursor to one of the edges and it will fade away

Can you get rid of the throttle icon in lower left corner? - Yes - Left ALT + Left mouse click to "activate" the window and then choose right mouse click to bring up the menu to editing options - Follow the Windows management guide to get more indepth knowledge about this: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3273

How do you get rid of the girl in the spitfire? - Dump her! :D - Its in one of the missions offline. You need to pick another plane m8, else she will ride along

Another one ...

Q. Can you customize and save the cockpit view like IL2 BOM?  With IL2 BOM you can raise, lower, zoom, etc and then save.  Can you with Cliff?

On more...

Q. What is the folder thread for adding skins if you have steam version?

Thanks!

It's been a very long time since played Cliffs but I am excited to have an old / new flight sim.  Thought it might be nice to have a "How do you ..." thread for those who can't figure out how to so something, like me!  I'll start if off.

I mapped cockpit mode, outside mode and fly by mode on my joystick but when I select outside or fly-by, I can't get back in the cockpit.  Any input would be appreciated.

Just to you understand what happen:

Due one this several "It's Clod!" in Controls are two "External View" commands, but the second should be called "Leave the plane and left control for AI" (or something appropriated), and due this people end "locked" outside their planes.

Due CLoD peculiarity this second command is necessary for AI regain MG control in rear turret in planes with 2 crew positions - 3 or more is not needed - if you "jump" there.

I already purpose rename this confusing commands names in GUI... but the "opposite force" argue against changes there.  :biggrin:

So rest get used "as is".

Edited by Sokol1

The "icons/labels" over planes can be customized in "icon.rcu" like in IL-2:46, and toggled different settings or ON/OFF (for example momentary ON for IFF and then OFF for "immersion") using console commands or third part keymapper macro, in Controls are no option (like IL-2:46) for assign a key to do this toggle.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5185

BTW - Lolsav tip:

"Can you toggle aircraft labels? - No - solution, move your mouse cursor to one of the edges and it will fade away"

Is to hide cockpit instruments labels pop-up, not aircraft labels. Alternatively can  turn OFF the "clickpit mode" with F-10 that instruments labels pop-up disappear. ;)

Close that "Info Window" or change then for digital (%) mode like most people do. All this "Info Window" on screen is customisable at some degree, a plus feature. :)

Just don't select the "Hearbreaker" Spitfire for fly. :)

CLoD default campaign spoiler.

Q. What is the folder thread for adding skins if you have steam version?

Typically in

C:\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD\PaintSchemes\Skins

Unless for install certain campaigns you should not touch in files inside

...Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover

For example Controls "defaults" (that had key conflict) is there, case one want restore "default controls" need do a manual copy for above folder, but if mess with files in Steamapps folder no more "default" controls.
Edited by Sokol1

Q. Can you customize and save the cockpit view like IL2 BOM?  With IL2 BOM you can raise, lower, zoom, etc and then save.  Can you with Cliff?

No, no option for custom cockpit views like in IL-2 Bo'X' or DCSW, a great CloD flaw, what makes look at Spit/Hurri/Blenhein horizontal positioned P-8 compass (broken) a torturous contortionism.

Are a fixed momentary view to "Glance at dashboard" to see cockpit instruments better with some zoom.

I can do custom views in some degree using the obscure, no longer developed/supported NewView:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5374

Edited by Sokol1

No, for remove that text will be need access to folder $core/i18in/wpf.txt, and since the $core/ contain easily editable .txt "sensible" files the access is blocked by TF - but easily accessible (by Keygets.dll)  in CloD "vanilla".

What you can do is disable that Epilepsy filter in Video options (seems that filter is just a placebo) but the warning remain on screen.

Edited by Sokol1

It's been a very long time since played Cliffs but I am excited to have an old / new flight sim.  Thought it might be nice to have a "How do you ..." thread for those who can't figure out how to so something, like me!  

Remember there is already a very comprehensive set of threads about pretty much everything to do with CloD - Its called ATAG.

That's not to say "don't ask here" but more to say that you may find your answer immediately rather than having to wait for someone to reply (unless its Sokol because he is actually wired into the internet and knows instantly when a question is asked and the correct answer for it) :-)

Regards

BOO

Q: Is there any explanations for all communication commands (TAB)?

I don't remember nothing more in depth about - specially since for SP the radio command is considered "broken" - but after the "sweep under the rug" in some official patch the remained commands work OK, minus the "famous"  landing denied -  I accidentally discover that  "Request landing" answer has their logic inverted, so is denied instead authorized.

Other is that for missions with ground start AI don't "see" player as leader, people use engage AI autopilot briefing as workaround, but is awkward, since AI mess with your engine adjusts.

Desastersoft post in their page time ago that discover if player as leader take off and do a standard pattern around runway the AI form whit then and follow their orders.

For MP the useful command is TAB-7-1 for "talk" with "radar". Related, a macro for speed this command.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22033&highlight=macrogamer

Can be added TAB-7-2 for request vector for home.

BTW - CloD radio commands was planed very detailed, including allowing typing altitude parameters for AI, but... no need repeat the history. :)

Edited by Sokol1

I don't remember nothing more in depth about - specially since for SP the radio command is considered "broken" ....

Yep I know this and noticed it yesterday (not many changes from years...).... Thx for explanations!

Edited by YoYo

When I look at some videos on youtube, some players have certain things shown on their screen as percentages (e.g. mixture, throttle etc).  How do I do this (all I can see now is axes for 4 things).

When I look at some videos on youtube, some players have certain things shown on their screen as percentages (e.g. mixture, throttle etc).  How do I do this (all I can see now is axes for 4 things).

CloD interface has a blessed feature called "INFO WINDOWS" - although you see lot of people cursing about then  :lol: because don't know how deal with that windows.

Under certain limits this INFO WINDOW can be resized, moved, merged, customized and CLOSED - but not re-opened, is need create a New for replace a closed one.

Guide about their management: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3273

This "%" that you see is done by press and hold Alt key, click above "engine slider" area, choosing "customize" in the options pop-up and change the information for this INFO WINDOW from "analog" to "digital".

Edited by Sokol1