Does BOS or BOM have better terrain and airfields?

I'm looking to get either BOS or BOM this week, but terrain quality and big airfields are important to me as I tend to sandbox fly a lot. Does one have better terrain or bigger/concrete airfields than the other?

Thank you. :cool:

The stock answer here is to get both.

However, I understand the financial issues involved as well.

For me, the Moscow map is far better, and has more varied airfields, and is better looking over all, especially the autumn version.

Paved runways are a luxury anywhere in this sim.  I don't think there are more than one on either of the maps.

• Upvote 2

Which map is the best? Kuban! Well, out of the ones you can buy now what the porcine one has said is correct. I also find it easier to navigate with that map for some reason. The other thing to consider is the plane set that comes with each game. The map difference isn't that big, you might want to consider planes first.

Between the two maps the Moscow map is of higher quality than the Stalingrad one. Its not to say that the Stalingrad one isn't as good but its just a matter of the team developed their map making skills a fair bit between releases and Moscow looks just that much better. Really impressive work.

The Moscow region is also different than the Stalingrad region and that is represented here. The airbases tended to be bigger (both grass and concrete runways) and there are things like railways with twin tracks rather than single track near Stalingrad.

Both are ideal though. I really enjoy flying over both areas.

• Upvote 3

Thank you for the quick responses. Nice to see this is an active forum. Some of the other places are like a doctor's waiting room.

Moscow it will be. As I mentioned, I am a bit of a lazy sandbox flyer, and often as not I'm just happy to tool around and hopscotch the airfields

I'm fine with the plane set included with either map.

Pardon me, but it says on the purchase page for BOS and BOM that the plane modifications and skins are all unlocked. I know this was a matter of some debate on other forums, and I don't want to start anything, but is it the case now that I don't have to fly a campaign - which I do not want to do - to get "the full plane"?

Guest deleted@30725

I think as long as you buy it from steam or the official site then you get the standard versions that have the unlocked modifications and planes and therefore you can play online or in quick mission using all of the planes features.

There is a 'starter' version I think that's supposed only to be sold in Russia that is locked. You might come across this version accidentally when looking for cheap discounted versions of the game on irregular retailers / non official retailers.

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the campaign altogether. The AI have gotten better so missions can be slightly more entertaining now.

Edited by deleted@30725

moscow is an add on - you need to own BOS first.

not really:

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow can be used as a separate product or be integrated with BOS and/or BOK, resulting in one big WWII Eastern Front combat flight-sim.

Guest deleted@30725

it says this in steam that you have to buy bos first.

Not tried just buying bom so don't know if the text in steam is wrong?

If you buy from official site you can buy both games separate.

Edited by deleted@30725

I think as long as you buy it from steam or the official site then you get the standard versions that have the unlocked modifications and planes and therefore you can play online or in quick mission using all of the planes features.

There is a 'starter' version I think that's supposed only to be sold in Russia that is locked. You might come across this version accidentally when looking for cheap discounted versions of the game on irregular retailers / non official retailers.

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the campaign altogether. The AI have gotten better so missions can be slightly more entertaining now.

Excellent! Glad to hear everything is available from the start. I will definitely buy from the (this?) official site.

I might play a bit of the campaign, but I really do tend to fly... informally. Some ground pounding in the Il2 and some small dogfights and I'm just fine. :cool:

Get them all!!!!!! :good:

It's my birthday in a few months if you are feeling generous. :biggrin:

I'm looking to get either BOS or BOM this week, but terrain quality and big airfields are important to me as I tend to sandbox fly a lot. Does one have better terrain or bigger/concrete airfields than the other?

Thank you. :cool:

Hmm... In a war situation you take what you can get. Pilots don`t get to choose airfields, especially on the Russian front where the lines were always moving. To be honest i didn`t see much difference between either... I suppose BOM is better as it`s airfileds can be very big, but not quite what you expect. On one mission I was trying to find the airfiled, expecting an airstrip, when I realised it was just a very big neatly mowed field!

Hmm... In a war situation you take what you can get. Pilots don`t get to choose airfields, especially on the Russian front where the lines were always moving. To be honest i didn`t see much difference between either... I suppose BOM is better as it`s airfileds can be very big, but not quite what you expect. On one mission I was trying to find the airfiled, expecting an airstrip, when I realised it was just a very big neatly mowed field!

True enough, but I'm not in a war situation; I'm at my desk with an espresso and a cat. :happy:

By the by, do you know how big the download is for BOM? I've burned through most of my bandwidth and it's $2 a GB if I go over.

• Upvote 3

True enough, but I'm not in a war situation; I'm at my desk with an espresso and a cat. :happy:

By the by, do you know how big the download is for BOM? I've burned through most of my bandwidth and it's $2 a GB if I go over.

You download everything (Bos/bok/bom) but your account unlocks the content. I think the game is around 6-7 GB. (In multiplayer you can fly on all maps) Edited by 216th_Jordan

The BoM map is a bit more interesting as the terrain is slightly more hilly. Not mountains, but rises and falls in the land; Stalingrad is fairly flat. The Il-2 in either BoS or BoM is excellent. Great fun!

Cheers.

I also have a computer and a cat. i`m just saying, you ain`t gonna get perfect airfields in a war sim.

I also have a computer and a cat. i`m just saying, you ain`t gonna get perfect airfields in a war sim.

I hear ya. And I apologize if I sounded rude.

In IL2, which I have been flying since the demo 15 years ago and now sits as a 75GB installation on my HD as IL2-BAT, there was a good variety of grass fields and paved runways. I was curious what the mix, if any, there was in either map.

BoM has the I-16 too. Such an awesome little plane for sight seeing.  :cool:

I do enjoy my sight seeing. The I-16 might be my first ride. :happy:

Well, terrain is great for me in both BoS and BoM, and for sure will be in BoK, but above all, IMO, nothing beats IL-2 Battle of... when it comes to flight dynamics and the overall feel of flight it provides.

That's why I have decided to unconditionally support it ...

"It's my birthday in a few months if you are feeling generous."

You might be surprised by the generosity of this community. Keep your ears perked for the occasional give away. Usually during discount season.

Oh, and Moscow is the better map, though, I prefer the BOS planeset more.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

It's my birthday in a few months if you are feeling generous. :biggrin

You might be surprised by the generosity of this community. Keep your ears perked for the occasional give away. Usually during discount season.

Oh, and Moscow is the better map, though, I prefer the BOS planeset more.

Honestly, I would not be surprised at all.

Many years back, I got very bad pneumonia and it laid me out flat for months. Couldn't work and I got pretty poor. One of the guys on the flightsim forum I was on, an American, bought the original IL2 game and mailed out to me so I would have something to do while laid up sick.

If there is anyone here from Texas, all I can say is you are a classy bunch of guys. :)

Edited by CanadaOne

I bought BOM this morning. When do I get my little bar under my avatar?

Is there a complimentary cup of coffee as well? :)

For better or worse the bar is only for people that preordered BoS, BoM or BoK

That being said though some have taken to adding bars in their signature line to show their support

I bought BOM this morning. When do I get my little bar under my avatar?

Is there a complimentary cup of coffee as well? :)

The Russians don't know what a Double Double is so.... probably not :)

The bars only show up for pre-orders. Though I think the team should consider an alternatively coloured bar for people who own the products after the fact.

• Upvote 1

The Russians don't know what a Double Double is so.... probably not :)

The bars only show up for pre-orders. Though I think the team should consider an alternatively coloured bar for people who own the products after the fact.

Don't remember which Dev but one stated several months ago they were considering some sort of a ribbon or alternate bar for owners who got in after pre-orders.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Upvote 1