71st_AH_Scojo

Enter for team chat

So I feel this is a quality of life must have for Multiplayer.

I think about it every time I use text chat and I also see people mention it once a week in servers.

Having to hit ctrl+enter every time for team chat is frustrating.

I would like to suggest updating the chat functionality to mimic the majority of other MP games on the market:

Enter should open the chat window, and then tab or some other button used to permanently change the chat output between team or all. This means when you want to talk to either all or team, you only need to hit enter, type, then hit enter again. And when you want to switch, just hit enter, tab, type, then enter.

Permanently changing between all or team is ideal because people often not only need to type more than one line, but people also tend to talk for a while in the same chat and change to the other every so often.

This tab method facilitates this well. I also think it's pretty evident from today's gaming market that this design is ideal.

However, if this won't get done, I at least want to be able to change which chat requires Enter or Ctrl+Enter. In my opinion, all chat should be Ctrl+Enter, not team chat. Why? Because Ctrl+Enter is sometimes harder to do, at least for myself, because I'm having to type around my HOTAS. Also, people sometimes forget holding Ctrl and they wind up saying something in all they didn't want to.

Whether it becomes an option we can change ourselves, or a permanent option, I just want this small improvement. I hope you will take this input and come up with a good solution that is doable and beneficial.

Thanks

• Upvote 2

I've never been able to use just friendly chat on a single hotkey input. Both go to 'all' unless you specifically use ctrl enter to send.

So why not just rebind the friendly chat to enter and the all to ctrl enter in settings now?

You can do this? Well this is embarrassing lol

With all of the people mentioning this in the game, I just assumed you couldn't change it

• Upvote 1

Scojo - the option is there and I think ive tried it previously and it worked ok but I don't use chat often so cant say for sure.

It could be very well as Herr Muff says.

Scojo - the option is there and I think ive tried it previously and it worked ok but I don't use chat often so cant say for sure.

It could be very well as Herr Muff says.

Oh ok, I'll check when I get home to be sure

Please, please, please fix this.

Right now it is impossible to rebind the team-chat to just "Enter".

It should also be the default, so that one has to press an additional key to chat to all, and only Enter to chat to team. Prevents accidental messages to all, makes the most sense, and it is how ALL other games do it, out of those that don't have separate keys to initiate either team- or all-chat (for example T for team chat,Y for all chat). Every. Single. Game.

you Cannot Rebind the keys. (even if you changes them in the Games Config files and try force it.
seems to be hard coded into the game itself.

And while its a little different EVERYONE Can Adapt and adjust.
also when you send the message its says Ctrl Enter is team chat.

Note i still help/tell a few new players every week, how to use chat but it does not bother me.
What does bother me is the lack of ability to use chat on the map screen and in hangar

Edited by =R4T=Sshadow14

And while its a little different EVERYONE Can Adapt and adjust.

also when you send the message its says Ctrl Enter is team chat.

Problem is that if you'd accidentally not press Ctrl properly, or if something else is running (like for example me deploying my flaps at the same time) it'll mess up and not be sent to the team. That could be completely avoided if the chat system/recipient selection made sense.

After all it is FAR less damaging to accidentally say something only to the team that was meant for everyone, than the other way around.

Edited by Inkompetent
  • Upvote 1

Any update on this? Is it now possible to rebind the team chat and all chat buttons? 

I also agree that it makes much more sense to use just enter to send messages to your team and ctrl+enter to all players. You can still see so many unintentional messages in the all chat, which only shows that people are not comfortable with this setup. 

This so needs to happen and it has been requested for years.

Normally I don't support development time being diverted just for 'cool ideas'  or slight improvements in ergonomics but in this case we have so many people complaining about it and if they have access to the code it should be an extremely quick fix that can be slipped in with the next update. 

OTOH I believe that there are still portions of code that are completely inaccessible and would have to be rewritten from scratch in order to change them.  If that is the case then perhaps a dev could at least tell us that so we can put this debate on hold for a few years.

with time i got used to the way it works now in game, but if you play online youll constantly see new players get confused with how it works, having it oposite then now would be perfect, or just have ability in key settings to remap the keys.

14 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Normally I don't support development time being diverted just for 'cool ideas'  or slight improvements in ergonomics but in this case we have so many people complaining about it and if they have access to the code it should be an extremely quick fix that can be slipped in with the next update. 

I have to disagree with this mindset. Improving the game is part of the development. Adding new content for additional DLC will happen at the same pace regardless. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

I have to disagree with this mindset. Improving the game is part of the development. Adding new content for additional DLC will happen at the same pace regardless. 

How does new content 'happen at the same pace regardless' if the developer who should be doing the animation of the undercarriage is working on making puddles appear on the runway when it rains (as was recently requested)? 😄

Because a development team is separated into individual teams for individual tasks. The devs here have even contracted other companies for content production of assets for the game numerious times. Fixing the game is part of the developement process and “should” always have resources dedicated to it. I expect finished products on finalized content. Age old issues such as the backwards and none adjustable chat button should of been fixed long ago. It solely requires one dev to create a config adjustment and a new UI button in the options menu. That is basically five minutes of work on such a developed game menu and engine that has been in production since 2012.

But people only seem to care about supporting the devs in making new shiny planes instead of improving the game itself as a whole. Because anything that distracts from new planes is somehow detracting from the game given the amount of outcry every time someone suggests something other than planes. Even if that means not fixing long standing issues people have requested to be fixed for years...

My 2 cents since being involved with iL-2 since 2016.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Because a development team is separated into individual teams for individual tasks.

Only in an ideal world with excess funds and excess staff available.   I am sure there is nothing Jason would like more than to have enough developers that he can assign some to making small fixes while having enough left to develop new content in a reasonable timeframe.   

Put yourself in Jasons shoes,  you only have a small development team and barely have enough income to keep them paid.  If you delay working on the minor niggles you might lose a few players who cannot wait.  If you delay developing new content you might lose a lot of players who are bored of playing the same maps and aircraft.  If you prioritise the small fixes then you are unlikely to gain any more customers from it. If you build a Normandy map with more US aircraft you will likely gain a lot of new customers who only want to fly US in general or P51, P38 etc specifically or prefer fighting in Europe to fighting in Russia.   It is simple maths and survival.   

I am not talking about the big fixes;  I am sure they have already lost players who don't like the 9k bubble, but fixing it will take a major redesign and rewrite of the code so even then you have to balance whether 'more income from new content getting you more developers to fix the 9k bubble later' will outweigh 'lost income from the 9k bubble fix being delayed'.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Haha 1

Lol its not a bug its intentional as hardcoded in the game so it cannot be rebinded.
also wish i could casual call hundreds of thousands of euros turn over not much money.

• Like 1

I only started playing the game online in January and just recently saw this!  Yup it is hard coded, tried changing the key bindings and it does not work. For some reason I cannot even use the Enter key alone in any key bindings. I have to use the mouse to click on FOR ALLIES, since Cntrl + Enter only calls up the window and does not select FOR ALLIES, so I ended up broadcasting to everyone last night!  Anyone else have this issue? Is there a way to fix it other than resetting the key bindings?

On 5/7/2019 at 4:51 PM, 334th_Ripper* said:

the mouse to click on FOR ALLIES,

Whenever you want to open the chat, press enter. Then type your message and to SEND TO ALLIES hold ctrl and press enter.

To send to all, simply press enter after typing the message.

ctrl+enter is not to open the chat for friendlies but to send the message to friendlies.

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2019 at 8:14 AM, =FC=SteelFalcon said:

Whenever you want to open the chat, press enter. Then type your message and to SEND TO ALLIES hold ctrl and press enter.

To send to all, simply press enter after typing the message.

ctrl+enter is not to open the chat for friendlies but to send the message to friendlies.

Rgr ty!

Hi gents, im a continous gamer of the IL2 mostly lately Cliffs of Dover.  I dont know who can help with a problem is happening in game. planes when shot down or pilots bail, damaged planes stays in place static on ground or air there and dont disappears. Please tray to transmit this issue to who ever can solve it. 

Hoppe someone can take this and or transmit this, I dont know if its a bug on steam or direct of the Il2 game.

Thank for all this great sims.

Puma_Cl
Chile