SwallowFire

512MB is the size limit of tracks?

I didn't realize this fact until last night when I was playing some scripted campaign and I was pretty sure I recorded the whole mission, which was about 50 minutes long. However when I replay the track the mission was cut off at around 26 minutes. I checked the track file: exactly 512MB. Is there a way to adjust the limit to higher values somewhere in the config files? And btw it seems unreasonable to me that a 25-minutes track would be as large as 0.5GB.

i think the limit is a ram consideration..

The way those clips appear recorded is it records it all into ram then @ the end (either limit or stopped by user) it dumps it to HDD
Allowing the game to record a file upto 1GB would mean that alone need 1G Ram while not recording the game alone uses 3.8 GB Ram under windows 10 on Ultra Preset.
Many people still only have 4GB of ram so a 1GB recording could max out ram

yes they are too short, but also very large files sizes.
i mean in the other game that shall not be names 3 hour missions take up about 12mb (with the same recording abilities and camera controls)

Edited by =R4T=Sshadow14

i think the limit is a ram consideration..

The way those clips appear recorded is it records it all into ram then @ the end (either limit or stopped by user) it dumps it to HDD

Allowing the game to record a file upto 1GB would mean that alone need 1G Ram while not recording the game alone uses 3.8 GB Ram under windows 10 on Ultra Preset.

Many people still only have 4GB of ram so a 1GB recording could max out ram

yes they are too short, but also very large files sizes.

i mean in the other game that shall not be names 3 hour missions take up about 12mb (with the same recording abilities and camera controls)

You mean the original IL2by Oleg maddox?

People still have only 4 gig of ram to run this game? You gotta be kidding. Ram is cheap and upgrading through ram is one of the easiest and quickest way to improve game and PC performance. I find it hard to believe that anyone with a ram hungry game like this would limit themselves to 4 gig. Anyway, they should double the file size or at least make it an option to.

Yeah this sucks. Definitely should be an option. I have missed so many cool moment because of this. If they cant make it an option it would be nice to have a little sound Fx to let u know it has stopped

Why is it unreasonable that 500mb is around half an hour of recording? Its a lot of information that is stored in those files.

I agree though that the 500mb limit should be done away with. As a compromise it could be selectable as an option. (don't know the mechanics behind this)

Why is it unreasonable that 500mb is around half an hour of recording? Its a lot of information that is stored in those files.

Depends on who you ask, really

I always wished the track system would work like this:

Record all the time by default, the entire sortie. Then when you finish flight, prompt the player "Save track recording?" and save or delete the track accordingly.

This option would ensure you never miss a good sortie, but also don't clog up your track folder with boring ones. I would make way more videos if it wasn't such a pain trawling through hours of myself flying interspersed with minutes of action. It's painful and this suggestion would ensure every track I saved actually had something good in it. Bonus: let the player name the track from this save prompt so one knows what the track is about when they go back later.

It would of course need to be able to be turned off for those that get a performance hit from recording, and maybe have an optional configurable upper limit on track size.

I put this suggestion in the suggestion thread a year ago but it never got any traction unfortunately, I wonder if it's something mods will be able to address.

I agree though that the 500mb limit should be done away with. As a compromise it could be selectable as an option. (don't know the mechanics behind this)

My sense comes from my experiences in RTS game. For example a starcraft 2 or dota 2 track of the same length is usually several megabytes large. And I am also sure the tracks in the original il2 take way less space than what i see here.

I think maybe it is rational to do some peer comparisons, Like DCS. Unfortunately i do not own DCS, but I would appreciate it if you can give me some hint.

I think the best way would be to have some kind of slider in the options, so you could adjust the max file size according to your available ram.  :)

Depends on who you ask, really

Not really. ;) (no offense) Working in software myself I can see that there is way more Information collected in this game than say Il-2 46. Try to record a screencapture and you'll end up with gigabytes in minutes.

still so many easy ways to fix this. like having the game start a new recording automatically after it dumps the 500mb file onto the hdd.. no brainer in my opinion, if someone turns a recording feature on, they probably want to keep recording until they turn the feature off..

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

not sure it *is* easy.

if it were, likely it would have already been done. The devs are aware of the frustrations around the limit.

stuff to you and i which appears easy to do, when confronted by the magic of game development is often hideously problematic to alter.

it can often appear very counter intuative to us mortals. ;)

there may also be very salient reasons for the hard limit as well.

Edited by OrLoK

I'm sure there's a good technical reason. As for the size, an IL-2 track file records a lot of stuff and it does so in a reliable way. You want to talk about track files that are messed up... there's another combat flight simulator out there that has largely useless tracks that break and deviate from what actually happened in all sorts of fun ways. We have it good here.

A nice to have here, however, would be for it to work like the video cameras that I'm used to working with. They record, they hit their limit, and then they shut down the recording and start a new one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Mine just stops. Does yours continue?

The whole point of IL2 Great Battles Recorder is that as soon as it reaches 512 and stops, it starts a new recording.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

The whole point of IL2 Great Battles Recorder is that as soon as it reaches 512 and stops, it starts a new recording.

I didn't know what he was talking about. Now I do, thank you! :)

58 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I didn't know what he was talking about. Now I do, thank you! :)

I did wonder whether you thought he was talking about the standard built-in track recording when he said IL2 Great Battles Recorder.  It does sound that way 🙂

1 hour ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I did wonder whether you thought he was talking about the standard built-in track recording when he said IL2 Great Battles Recorder.  It does sound that way 🙂

That's exactly what I was thinking about. I thought, well, weird capitalization but then people do that these days so whatever... :) 

Sounds like a good mod. It would be nice if maybe that feature made its way into the regular sim at some point too. Not that it's a huge priority but one of those nice to haves.

I got it, a user community mod allows us to overcome the shortfall inherent in the base product.  But its been awhile - making the limit into a user adjustable setting cannot be that difficult.  However, I acknowledge, it would require Dev time and testing.  Perhaps in the next or two major overhauls.  If given the option of getting the Hurricane in two weeks, or in three weeks and getting this fixed, I go with two weeks.  Just saying.

On 7/10/2020 at 6:59 PM, OrLoK said:

not sure it *is* easy.

if it were, likely it would have already been done. The devs are aware of the frustrations around the limit.

stuff to you and i which appears easy to do, when confronted by the magic of game development is often hideously problematic to alter.

it can often appear very counter intuative to us mortals. ;)

there may also be very salient reasons for the hard limit as well.

it's very simple.. once the file limit is reached, and the housekeeping is done, just have it start recording again. it's like a basic macro or python script that almost anyone could set up. it's so easy, that other people have made a 3rd party recorder that puts the built in one to shame. I'm sure they could at-least put some kind of band-aid fix on it  if they really wanted.

It would  be  a nice feature if the In-Game Recorder  ran  in background   an what was actually stored in that 512  was only triggered  by your gun firing,   a flight members gun firing, or maybe an enemy's gun firing.  The recorder could then  take  a select-able amount of recording  say 1 minute,  2 minutes  etc before  and  then  a period of time after guns on AC are fired.   This video could be stored to the track file,  and   further video added to the same file  at the next gun firing.   Make the different  triggering select-able  such as your guns,  your flights guns,  friendly AC guns,  enemy AC guns   etc etc.