Photo

Rise of Flight needs attention!

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 AndyJWest

AndyJWest
  • Founder

Posted 18 March 2017 - 21:31

RoF hasn't been 'abandoned'. Like any other piece of software, as it gets older, the likely returns on any future development diminish. It is still being sold though, and accordingly wouldn't be in in the developers interest to give the game away for free. Likewise, the code for the Digital Nature engine is an asset that won't be handed over to potential competitors. It is of course possible that at some point an agreement with a team of modders might be come to, whereby they get access to the code under an NDA, but as far as I'm aware no such proposal has even been put forward. And I very much doubt that the RoF developers/publishers will announce that they are going to do anything in regard to this unless they receive specific proposals. Accordingly, I suggest that if there are potential RoF modders out there they get themselves organised, decide what exactly they want, and then make a proper approach. Because speculation about it from random people, who apparently don't want to become actively involved, on the forum of another game isn't going to achieve anything.

#42 216th_LuseKofte

216th_LuseKofte
  • Founder

Posted 19 March 2017 - 00:00

Yeah, I've flown my share of franken planes in the past too. 

You know there are far better examples in 1946, and there are many in COD , cheap points.

You attitude do not bother me, I just fed up being "misunderstood" when we all know perfectly what I really meant. 

However , I was only suggesting a possibility we all know never will happen, so I am out, there is really nothing here I am very passion about 

49efc10c-c436-418c-9fbd-9cffdcfaff3d_zps

#43 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • Founder

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:09

We really need to put RoF and OFF in a quiet, comfortable room together with a bottle of champagne and some caviar and let nature take it's course.  With luck we would get a new software with the flying sensation of RoF and the SP of OFF.  Murphy's Law dictates the opposite, unfortunately.

Nullius in verba

#44 216th_LuseKofte

216th_LuseKofte
  • Founder

Posted 19 March 2017 - 13:54

based on what several dcs vr enthusiast have said several times. A ww1 sim supporting VR , will in their opinion be a winner. BOX might as well be in that category for all I know

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte, 19 March 2017 - 13:54.

49efc10c-c436-418c-9fbd-9cffdcfaff3d_zps

#45 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 19 March 2017 - 16:08

When reading the topics on VR, it always reminds me to another, promising development, remember the 3d glasses. I do not think the VR would be an succes for gaming, it is all going to slow and the needed hardware is rather expensive.

BTW, I just took a look at Jasons Rof profile and I did notice his last visit on the Official Rof forum was 28th oktober 2016. So maybe the Rof game is not be abandoned, but sure Jason did.

#46 Martijnvdm

Martijnvdm
  • Founder

Posted 28 March 2017 - 14:05

I really like ROF but i don't think it wise for the team to expand the franchise before a major overhaul (DX11, 64bit). These things did wonders for Il-2. But as the team is working on the career mode for Il-2 i would like to see some improvements for the ROF career as well. Maybe expanding the numbers of units or fixing some minor glitches.

Grt M

I7 4790K@4.7 GHz, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, Kingston HyperX Beast (t3) 16GB, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X, Dell S2716DG, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Windows 10 64

#47 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV
  • Founder

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:43

Outsourcing RoF to a team that can update the maps and DX, plus make a better AI would be a good thing.  They could share the profits and users could pay for the upgrade to RoF 2. 

"Nineteen years of age, eight years public education, three years military service. Intelligent, normally observant and answered all questions freely. He was arrogant and proud to be a pilot. Fellow prisoners in hospital consider him mentally unstable..."

#48 Space_Ghost

Space_Ghost
  • Founder

Posted 29 March 2017 - 13:31

Outsourcing RoF to a team that can update the maps and DX, plus make a better AI would be a good thing.  They could share the profits and users could pay for the upgrade to RoF 2. 

Bust out your checkbook than - somebody is going to have to pay for that team and Jason has politely said (multiple times) that ROF doesn't have a stake in eating up development resources (including money, that's a major, major resource) in the foreseeable future.

"Stop pulling so hard. You don't have to get someone under the gunsight right this second to win the fight." - Go_Pre

6700K @ 4.7GHz - GTX1080 @ 2.1GHz (11000MHz mem clock) - 16GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz - Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) - Dell S2716DG (1440p, G-Sync)

Proud owner of the Ju 52 and Yak-1B.

#49 307_Tomcat

307_Tomcat
  • Founder

Posted 29 March 2017 - 16:01

I bought BOS because I was (as I know today is not how it be) told on rof forums by Jason that it will support Rof development, and eventually new tech will be imported to ROF. So I have right to feel cheated, any way I did forget and I can understand but yes that was my motivation to buy this francize. I'm glad that I bought it anyway and will be supportive in the future of this or other era CFS.

#50 Bando

Bando
  • Founder

Posted 30 March 2017 - 17:37

I remember that too, Tomcat. They more or less promised the new tech would "drip down" to ROF as they would get along.

Didn't happen.

On the other hand, I'm very glad the team proceeds the way it does and we'll have more and more to look forward to.

Who knows, we may see a ROF2 some day?

System specs:

Spoiler

#51 BFBunny

BFBunny
  • Founder

Posted 02 April 2017 - 14:25

Mod support would have been good. There seemed to me to be enough planes in the game, updating the graphics is what a lot of people want. You can see it in the steam reviews. The slow combat combined with the old graphics puts new players off and you can't really blame them. It's easy to say 'play the game for the gameplay', but people like to be in a a pretty game world when there are plenty of other flying games that offer superior graphical fidelity. Namely that F2p game Warthunder that features some ww1 planes at the start of the game.

People who modify and update these games seem to be exceptionally talented often producing mods that can be as good or better than what the original developers made. If mods are rubbish the high standards community members hold often come into play and such mods are left to de-compile at the bottom of the code bin. Forgotten Hope 2 mod for Bf2 was one of the best mods I ever played, it was as good as some modern paid DLC.

Edited by BFBunny, 02 April 2017 - 14:27.

#52 307_Tomcat

307_Tomcat
  • Founder

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:49

Nah ROF graphics it's not far from BOS - they switched to dx11 but not yet change much. There are new clouds and more optimisations, higher pooly and textures. I think BOK with new map tech will put it further away.

Look

youtube.com/watch?v=z2fLzPXjwmw

Edited by 307_Tomcat, 03 April 2017 - 06:05.

#53 Cybermat47

Cybermat47
  • Founder

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:02

Why would any company want to make profit out of a product that they've lost interest in?

... because companies exist to make profit, and making profit from a product they aren't spending money on means that they have more money, which they can then use to purchase goods and services?

qYvxNoF.jpg
"Stalin's fortress on fire! Is this madness or hell? The sound of the mortars, the music of death! We're playing the devil's symphony! Our violins are guns! Conducted from hell! Oh Stalingrad!"

- From Stalingrad by Sabaton.

#54 BFBunny

BFBunny
  • Founder

Posted 03 April 2017 - 14:13

307- Tomcat - For a moment I thought OK, the video looked good, but then I loaded up the game on steam and this is how it looked.

I don't know if there are any mods for it. At least the steam community has no idea if there are.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2017_4_3__14_3_9.jpg

Edited by BFBunny, 03 April 2017 - 15:14.

#55 307_Tomcat

307_Tomcat
  • Founder

Posted 03 April 2017 - 14:39

BfBunny there are lots of high resolution textures replacement for Rof starting with ground textures and ends on vehicles. All need to be downloaded, feaw are working with mods off mode. If this is what steam users wants I hope devs can just incorporate those third party works into official game tree - as was done before with other stuff.

Edited by 307_Tomcat, 03 April 2017 - 14:43.

#56 BFBunny

BFBunny
  • Founder

Posted 03 April 2017 - 15:12

BfBunny there are lots of high resolution textures replacement for Rof starting with ground textures and ends on vehicles. All need to be downloaded, feaw are working with mods off mode. If this is what steam users wants I hope devs can just incorporate those third party works into official game tree - as was done before with other stuff.

Thanks tomcat. I didn't know about that.

Edited by BFBunny, 03 April 2017 - 15:15.

#57 TG-55Panthercules

TG-55Panthercules
  • Founder

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:48

If you want to check out the mods available for RoF, including some of those texture packages Tomcat mentioned, you might want to look here (official RoF mods site, though not particularly exhaustive due to lack of attention for a while):  http://www.rofmods.com/en/ 

or here (my list of favorite mods):  https://riseofflight...-favorite-mods/

or just browse around in the RoF Forum subsection devoted to mods generally, here:  https://riseofflight...mods-software/ 

Intel Core i7-4770K @3.5 GHz; ASUS ROG Maximus VI MB; 16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 980, 4 GB; Realtek ROG SupremeFX audio
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users