DingusMaximus69

Noob tip from a noob

Hey, thought Id maybe chime in with a little insight for any new pilots out there having trouble landing their hits when aiming.

Ive gotten to a point where Im comfortable flying and have had a few opportunities to line up with my opponent, only to miss ever shot. Frustrating to say the least.

I use a logitech 3d pro with twist for rudders. One thing I realized after reading posts on these forums related to my aiming troubles was that for one I needed to adjust my sensitivity so the S curve is almost non existent, no deadzones (all personal preference). Makes aiming much more tactile.

More importantly I realized when pursuing a target I should approach them as if Im trying to collide with them. I cant really stress that part enough, for me atleast, seemed to bridge the gap in my strategy in closing the distance with my target. Before I may have been trying to place myself at a comfortable distance, which is difficult considering fighter planes are so agile. Its easy to lose your target behind a strut in your canopy or under the nose.

When trying to collide with them you inevitably draw yourself so much closer and the shots are much more predictable, sometimes last second decisions but at a much more reasonable range.

I must say the BF 109 F4 and G2 are great planes. The G2 seems to take so much more play and just never stalls on tight turns, but its canopy is extremely restricted compared to the F4. Im having trouble justifying any russian planes that can compare in performance, besides the Yak. But who am I to say? They shoot me down all the time haha.

Test your skill on the dogfight servers, I got a few kills. Least to say Im somewhat proud of myself. Wings of Liberty server will be a totally different animal.

I know this isnt rocket science and most of the veterans will scoff but maybe it will help another idiot like me.

• Upvote 3

Yup. From the 'Dicta Boelke':

Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicta_Boelcke

Oswald Boelke was a WW1 fighter pilot, but nothing has really changed since, as fair as air-to-air gunnery is concerned: get in close, and when you think you are close enough, get closer.

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Upvote 1

I learned when I was first starting flight sims to rake shots to start.  Then once you get comfortable, you can start raking in closer and closer until you begin to put shots on target naturally.  It really worked well for me because gunnery is not something I struggle with.

Glad you're having fun with it and learning, Dingus.

Well that was rude... looks at username ...ohhhhh +1 then

Edited by 19//curiousGamblerr

Noob tip from noob to OP noob.   When you see the guy in front of you pull up, check your 6, and then only follow him to his stall if your tail is clear.   I still haven't learned this lesson.. as an enemy plane sitting almost still in the sky is a really tempting target.. apparently to anybody behind you as well... since you end up doing the same thing. >.<

Technically you should never follow the guy into the stall (to the point of spending too much energy) - you're just hanging there like a kite for his buddy to shoot you from any angle, not just his 6.

If he's doing the silly "I'm going to hang here because it's an awesome move!" thing get your shot off while you still have some energy and extend away.

Wait for him to fall then follow him down if he still needs or burst and it's safe.

Another tip I found to be useful for people who aren't so good with the gunnery is to just shoot at people. More so with the MGs than the cannon as the ammo is a bit more plentiful there but even cutting loose with the cannon can be useful. Sometimes the impulse to wait for that perfect shot that will kill the enemy in one short burst, like the pros do, can cost you the fight. A bit of sloppy shooting may work in your favor at the start, you'd be supersized just how much damage a few 7 mm rounds can really do. After firing off a whole bunch a ammo at targets you will start to get a feel for how to lead a target, and it isn't like you are paying for the bullets or anything so you might as well shoot them at someone. 

Hi Dingus. I don't fly with a Twist Grip any more . I did for years.... one thing I did realise when I switched to rudders was the "Excitement/Panic/Reaction" to Combat was Reduced...Often in Exciting Situation, I would be Pulling the Stick back but I would also be Twisting it in the heat of the moment (not my intention)...I am Yawing without meaning to and I don't notice....I am Focused on the screen. (Adrenaline).

I am not sayin Twist Rudder cant be perfected. But It has to be Tuned Very well.

For  a guy like me that has a "Jerky" Reaction in Combat, I find rudder Pedals great for Taxing, Take-off and Flying. I just set-up my joystick for Pitch-Roll. ..My Pedals for Rudder.

Hope this helps.

Edit.. A stable Gun Platform Improved my Shooting !

Edited by jaydee

Welcome to the game Dingus. Glad you're having fun.

Personally I found gunnery in BoX more difficult than in any other sim I've ever tried. The relatively low lateral stability of the planes in the sim makes for an awesome experience of the dynamics of flight (though there is an ongoing debate about, if it is actually overdone) but it sure doesn't facilitate accurate shooting.

People bash on the twister sticks, but I just want to let you know, that moving to pedals did not make it easier for me to hit anything for a long, long time. In fact, it did quite the opposite. Only now, nearly 1 1/2 years after I bought my first set of pedals is my shooting back to an acceptable level, but still nowhere near the accuracy I was able to achieve with the twister. 20 years of experience using a twister stick wasn't much help when you suddenly had to coordinate motions with your feet. My flying has become more energy effective and fluent though.

Technically you should never follow the guy into the stall (to the point of spending too much energy) - you're just hanging there like a kite for his buddy to shoot you from any angle, not just his 6.

If he's doing the silly "I'm going to hang here because it's an awesome move!" thing get your shot off while you still have some energy and extend away.

Wait for him to fall then follow him down if he still needs or burst and it's safe.

Moral of the story was that stalling airplanes make easy targets. :)  Thanks for the advice however.

Thanks for all the great feedback! Yea, ill def try to apply all this next time Im in.

Managed to ID and hit a bomber recently and low and behold when I centered my view I passed right through the middle of two trees and peeled my wings off. Was like a Hannah Barbera cartoon moment. Im still learning...

Gotta learn to spot better.

... I passed right through the middle of two trees and peeled my wings off. ...

Hmm... my expert opinion suggests you may have been too low  ;)

On a serious note, glad you're having fun with it. You'll get there. I strongly suggest hopping on teamspeak with some folks. It really makes all the difference.

I played the original Il-2 as a kid and was too shy to get on TS most of the time, tended to stick to single player or just lone wolf it on MP. Playing this iteration of Il-2 with real people on comms has made all the difference. I thought I liked Il-2 before, but now I'm really in love.

Edited by 19//curiousGamblerr

Yea, gonna download teamspeak and jump on. Its one of the reasons why I gravitated toward this game, with the smaller community I feel like everyones a little more involved.

Hmm... my expert opinion suggests you may have been too low ;)

On a serious note, glad you're having fun with it. You'll get there. I strongly suggest hopping on teamspeak with some folks. It really makes all the difference.

I played the original Il-2 as a kid and was too shy to get on TS most of the time, tended to stick to single player or just lone wolf it on MP. Playing this iteration of Il-2 with real people on comms has made all the difference. I thought I liked Il-2 before, but now I'm really in love.

Hey gambler, any chance I could join you on teamspeak

Edited by DingusMaximus69

If you like the F4 and G2, make it a point to not get greedy and just climb away when you start to lose energy or miss your opportunity. You'll start to learn that it lets you set back up for another chance at killing them while staying safe yourself. That's really hard for VVS planes to deal with, especially if you can climb away without letting them have any snap shots on you at all.

The only 109s I can kill are ones that make the mistake of turning with me or letting themselves get too low.

Also, try using trim in combat if you haven't already. It's one thing that can really help you smooth out what your gunsight is doing on target, especially if you're diving on someone

Edited by 71st_AH_Scojo

Hey gambler, any chance I could join you on teamspeak

Sure man, if you see me on feel free to join

If you like the F4 and G2, make it a point to not get greedy and just climb away when you start to lose energy or miss your opportunity. You'll start to learn that it lets you set back up for another chance at killing them while staying safe yourself. That's really hard for VVS planes to deal with, especially if you can climb away without letting them have any snap shots on you at all.

The only 109s I can kill are ones that make the mistake of turning with me or letting themselves get too low.

Also, try using trim in combat if you haven't already. It's one thing that can really help you smooth out what your gunsight is doing on target, especially if you're diving on someone

I find myself occasionally gaining the advantage in dogfights but more often than not enemy players seem to have a nak for zeroing in on me. Next thing I know Im fighting to evade a yak thats glued to my tail. I need to practice my curve and trajectory when approaching my target.

What you mentioned about trim is interesting and Ill try to find a way to integrate that. The slightest twitch can throw me off sometimes, Id benefit from understanding firing distances in relation to my holo sight and enemy plane positions. Im overshooting or undershooting and sometimes landing shots, don't always know how though.