Kling

Poll: How many of you will download ROF/have downloaded ROF

Thought I should have a look and see roughly where we are starting from but dispite numerous attempts at downloading free version via both Torrent and HTTP I still haven't got a download that will install. So I guess I am a will but no luck yet.

Have had it bout a year. Have flown it bout 10 hours or so. Just couldn't get into it. May climb in the cockpit again and give her another go. BoS on this engine should have a decent chance.

WV

Downloaded 'Iron Cross Edition' from Gamersgate yesterday. WWI is not really my thing but will happily give it a go to see what the DN engine is like.

~S~

• Upvote 1

Just wanted to add that its awesome to see so many ex Il2 1946 names in here... I was addicted to that forum for ca 8 years or so.. 2001-2010... Then slowly the mod forums became more intresting... Anyway thats another story...

What makes you think we are Ex IL2 folks.. :P

I still fly IL2 almost daily for at least one QM.

ROF has filled the void since IL2 for me, I have COD on my hdd but rarely play it, I just find the feel of flying etc is more fluid in ROF than COD and cant wait for the collaberation on BoS.

If you haven't tried ROF you really should.

Edited by III/JG11_Tiger

Poll this I have IL2,Clod, and ROF.ROF more than the rest,but have been trying Clod and it seems to grow on you.Left IL2 because the mod packs were starting to become a pain to keep up with.I like the way 777 handles the upgrades on the software with the game.I pick what I want.

Cheers

I have free demo / starter downloaded for some time now . I did try it and unfortunately it didn't grow on me ... can't really point exactly why is that .

Maybe i got spoiled with IL2 modding and opportunity to have  game customized fully to my liking ... Gui , cockpits , maps , effects , awards etc.

Playing one sim/game for an decade almost exclusively and  you must get fed-up/bored with same backgrounds, menus , awards, cockpits, skins ...so when modding "came to town"  it felt and it still does like  i have brand new sim/game all over again.

So if this new project have any intention to succeed great IL2 FB-AEP-PF-Pe2-1946 and keep player's interest for years and years i do hope that level of user customization would be way higher than it is with RoF.

reg

Z

Edited by fly_zo

Have had Boxed Aces and Iron Cross edition for about a year now.....Its a no brainer decision not to buy ROF.

Its a bit slower than most sims but realistic enough and detailed enough to still supprise.....must buy,or try for free first.

I decided to support this new effort with 8$ that the Iron Cross Edition currently costs.

Next sim purchase probably in 2014

Edited by slm

Bought it 1,5 years ago and its great and getting better with every update!

Video must see!!!!

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=346&t=34442

I am sure BoS will be as good as RoF is.

I hope this engine can handle higher resolution landscape textures. They killed RoF experience for me at least (( Can not feel I am flying.

Where is the poll btw? Removed?

• Upvote 1

I came here from the ROF forums, I have played IL-2 since the Sim first came out. I am hoping that the folks at ROF can breathe new life and visuals into this great flight sim. I play ROF, Star Trek online, MWLL and MWO and really look forward to being able to fly IL2 again. Here is to all my fellow pilots and flight sim enthuthist clear skys and a following wind meet your every flight!  :D

What makes you think we are Ex IL2 folks.. :P

I still fly IL2 almost daily for at least one QM.

+1

Downloaded the free version when it was released. Flew maby 5 times online and then stopped since DF`ing in a perpetual turn/circle makes me nauseous and the sterile environment bores me.

Haven't touched it since and wouldn't buy any "packs" even if my life depended on it. Im not into supporting stuff just for the sake of it, imean, why i gods name should i? Help a development at the off chanse i might get something worth the effort later in the near/maby future? We all know how well that turned out, don't we. If the new team have any common sense they would look at the original IL2 and use its recipe to more or less extent. Its not, for example, rocket science to add life to the ground. IL2 had it 10 years ago.

Sry for the harsh "review".

Edited by Baron

I'm confused to be honest. I flew Il2 when it first came out, still do, with the DBW and HSFX mods. I fly CLoD as well. But I don't get this criticism of ROF being lifeless at ground level. I just don't see it, at least to the extreme as the above post carries on about.. If I am flying to kill other aircraft i find other aircraft, if I am attacking a ballon I have ground based AAA trying to shoot me down, I have seen wingmen blown to pieces by AAA fire simply flying from waypoint to waypoint. If I am bombing then I see ground movement, half the time I bomb the wrong target as there is other things moving around. I simply don't see any difference when it comes to doing the same in other titles bar maybe the odd truck or 5 trundling down a  road which I will ignore anyway as it is not my primary target.. Only one I see far more ground activity than in both ROF and any IL2 title is in DCS. When it comes to ROF it is as different type of ground war. It was a stalemate, there was little ground movement for the most part bar in big offensives.

It is a personal choice to remain sceptical and not financially support a product, but at the same time there is little one should be able to feel entitled to by sitting on one's laurels.

Sorry for my "harsh" response.

I recently pointed a Iracing.com mate to ROF and he has been enjoying it even though he is not abig sim pilot and uses most assistance options he can. hopefully he wil improve and give me a run for my money in private dogfight as he does on the race track. So I guess I could add a second vote for me.

My "support" is more like getting to know ROF (Because I assume BoS will be similar) during 2013.

If 8$ is my flight simming cost for next year, I think I can handle it.

I must say that playing the game with cockpit off (or the upper wing invisible) would make the game  so much better

for casual pilot. Now visibility from cockpit is very poor.

Edited by slm

I actually payed full price ( yeah I know probably stupid), from 777 mainly to support the developer. Also grabbed the new Channel Map and the Felix yesterday.

Not anywhere near the fan of WWI as WWII, but like you I figure I will get to know it  as it will be the engine used for BOS. So far I like it pretty good.

I'm confused to be honest. I flew Il2 when it first came out, still do, with the DBW and HSFX mods. I fly CLoD as well. But I don't get this criticism of ROF being lifeless at ground level. I just don't see it, at least to the extreme as the above post carries on about.. If I am flying to kill other aircraft i find other aircraft, if I am attacking a ballon I have ground based AAA trying to shoot me down, I have seen wingmen blown to pieces by AAA fire simply flying from waypoint to waypoint. If I am bombing then I see ground movement, half the time I bomb the wrong target as there is other things moving around. I simply don't see any difference when it comes to doing the same in other titles bar maybe the odd truck or 5 trundling down a  road which I will ignore anyway as it is not my primary target.. Only one I see far more ground activity than in both ROF and any IL2 title is in DCS. When it comes to ROF it is as different type of ground war. It was a stalemate, there was little ground movement for the most part bar in big offensives.

It is a personal choice to remain sceptical and not financially support a product, but at the same time there is little one should be able to feel entitled to by sitting on one's laurels.

Sorry for my "harsh" response.

I recently pointed a Iracing.com mate to ROF and he has been enjoying it even though he is not abig sim pilot and uses most assistance options he can. hopefully he wil improve and give me a run for my money in private dogfight as he does on the race track. So I guess I could add a second vote for me.

One of the things I have noticed about sim pilots n particular but most military "gamers" .. we seem to e a bit more opinionated than most other gamers and simmers, especially the hardcore ones are at the top of that list. I don't get it either because all of the newer sims that have come out over the last 5 years or so are visually beautiful.. including WoP, WT and all the DCS titles.. I am not great fan of WWI either and because of that my initial response to RoF was it's nice but.. Many of the issues it had were eventually fixed .. most after 777 took over. I always did think it a=was a great looking sim and the sense of flight was fantastic. 

One of the things I have noticed about sim pilots n particular but most military "gamers" .. we seem to e a bit more opinionated than most other gamers and simmers, especially the hardcore ones are at the top of that list. I don't get it either because all of the newer sims that have come out over the last 5 years or so are visually beautiful.. including WoP, WT and all the DCS titles.. I am not great fan of WWI either and because of that my initial response to RoF was it's nice but.. Many of the issues it had were eventually fixed .. most after 777 took over. I always did think it a=was a great looking sim and the sense of flight was fantastic. 

Ah yeah, we're no worse than most though. I have had a lot of time in MMORPG communities as well and they can be just as opinionated as any, even worse at times. I've only been playing ROF itself for a few weeks now, so perhaps many of the issues that put people off initially may no longer exist, being fixed or improved by 777 as time has gone by. That's ok. Some criticisms I don't get, some I do, some I simply don't have the klnowledge to even comprehend (such as FM issues etc)

I keep referring people to ROF, and from there to this, as I am most keen to get a ground swell of support to  this new venture, which is the best I can do due to not being bale to throw as much money at it as guys like AH Sid and Gunsmith and crew do.

Paid ROF with a decent posse of aircraft in my hanger. Will have to hold on to my radials 'cause I liked IL2 and somewhere under my desk it screams at me to install, but I rather like ROF. Used to be a CFS Squadron member that flew WW1 campaigns in aircraft modified to be more realistic. We worked up WWi from Eindeckers to Gothas crossing the channel doing night raids and beyond before Kuwait heated up and called a few of our pilots into combat.
Looking forward to seeing what the IL/ROF hybrid will be, but loving ROF and will be adding new planes, especially with the Christmas sale! 

CFS1/2/3 Ritt Von Budd/Ritterorden (ret)

I have free demo / starter downloaded for some time now . I did try it and unfortunately it didn't grow on me ... can't really point exactly why is that .

Maybe i got spoiled with IL2 modding and opportunity to have  game customized fully to my liking ... Gui , cockpits , maps , effects , awards etc.

Playing one sim/game for an decade almost exclusively and  you must get fed-up/bored with same backgrounds, menus , awards, cockpits, skins ...so when modding "came to town"  it felt and it still does like  i have brand new sim/game all over again.

So if this new project have any intention to succeed great IL2 FB-AEP-PF-Pe2-1946 and keep player's interest for years and years i do hope that level of user customization would be way higher than it is with RoF.

reg

Z

Hi fly_zo, good to see you again!

RoF is actually really good for mods. Certainly as good if not slightly better than Il-2 is. Kegetys released an extraction tool that lets you open up the GTP files that contain everything you need. All the textures can be opened without decrypting (remember what a pain that was) and all the other stuff can be tweaked and edited to your hearts content. The devs also provide a mods on/off mode so you can have the best of both worlds, and they optimised things so loading times are not effected. Get stuck into it mate. :)

Hi fly_zo, good to see you again! RoF is actually really good for mods. Certainly as good if not slightly better than Il-2 is. Kegetys released an extraction tool that lets you open up the GTP files that contain everything you need. All the textures can be opened without decrypting (remember what a pain that was) and all the other stuff can be tweaked and edited to your hearts content. The devs also provide a mods on/off mode so you can have the best of both worlds, and they optimised things so loading times are not effected. Get stuck into it mate. :)

same here m8 ... hope you're well :-)

seams that i gave up little to fast on ROF , will "take another look" with it  ASAP .  Many thanks for info

reg

Z

I bought ROF 2 years back, I've bought quite a few aircraft, love the aerodynamics and the whole feel of the sim, hats off to the young men who really flew these clattery rickety unstable things. If we get a mix of the attributes of both sims, I think it'll be excellent. As I've said before, we get what we get given, I love to simulate the flight of aircrafte I can see at an airshow, or that' I've read about - I'm no expert pilot but I think that if these companies can merge their skills, we wil benefit.

Good luck I say, I'll save up for it

I have had RoF since the early days of Neoqb and four flyables. Bought everything since then to suport the fantastic work. Also bought and gifted to a couple of other people, which I can really recommend! - The sim has a very benign learning curve, with some difficulty settings turned off.

Aye, I can never seem to finish a mission in my D.VII without being blinded by the stuff, guess my RPM management is not up to scratch yet. Still, coming off second best and trying ot make it back to one's own lines, blinded by oil, weakened by blood loss, engine stuttering to a stall....great immersion.

Just be happy they didn't simulate the effect of castor oil on pilots. When you get a facefull, you will always swallow some of it. The result is a very ... impatient gut! In medicine, castor oil is frequently used as a laxative. No wonder those flyboys tended to be so skinny...

My grandmother used to give us a spoonful every week.

Just be happy they didn't simulate the effect of castor oil on pilots. When you get a facefull, you will always swallow some of it. The result is a very ... impatient gut! In medicine, castor oil is frequently used as a laxative. No wonder those flyboys tended to be so skinny...

Ha ha. I think my err...constitution would be feeling a bit...ummm...particular anyway going up in some of those things.

No wonder those flyboys tended to be so skinny...

And dehydrated!  I try to drink at least as much as they did.  Nerves, ya know.

played about an hour, wasnt impressed. deleted.

Wow.. a whole hour huh? :P

Heh,  I'm an ex-RB3D pilot for many years.  Currently fly ROF.  Never was really into WW2.  But this IL2 looks interesting!

CJ! Good to see you here. Sorry to hear of the bad news. Wish you and yours well. I think this may be the best IL2 to come out. And yes I'm a heavy modded 1946 user too. ROF  has my attention at the moment. Its a great game.

Not exactly the answer you are looking for ,but, I've had RoF from Day one ( when it was very wonky) until now & have purchased every plane ,map,campaign, & accessory ,plus have downloaded all the skins I can find.Other than a slow startup I find the sim to deliver everything it promised. I probably play it a little less than either the modded up Il-2 Dark Blue World or the Cliffs of Dover( also purchased day one & at that time very very wonky...) but there are only so many hours in a day....( Actually I think it is the slow start-up & time that it takes to actual flying that makes a difference in choosing it more often.)

ColorGuard.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

I love it that that pic was painted by one of the guys who actually plays these games.

Do not tell anyone : I'm using my name d' sim on this site!