hames123

What other sims would you get?

What other sims would you get, aside from flight sims? I would probably get a submarine simulator, those work really well. It is a bit hard to get a proper tank sim, as ground forces do not really have "bases" to return to, unlike naval and air units. However, I would get a good tank sim, as long as it is well made and has hundreds of missions stored in it(recently there has been a trend towards games with few single missions, and in sims without a proper dynamic campaign, it really can ruin everyrhing).

I would absolutely love a proper WW2 tank sim.

Had high hopes for T-34 vs. Tiger, but that never spawned a franchise.

• Upvote 1

A submarine sim like silent hunter or sub command with better graphics and good simulation of systems would be really nice.

I loved Silent Hunter III, that was so epic with manual torpedo solutions and plotting courses of enemy ships or convoys, nice memories, the new ones never brought back that feeling, the 4th one was ok but not like the third.

Otherwise i would love a good Apache sim like AH64D Longbow 1 and 2, that was so nice to play, my first helicopter sim i ever played, i hope that DCS World will do a Apache but it will not be the D version im sure.

• Upvote 1

Now that I have a Rift, I plan on getting both a space sim ( Elite Dangerous) and a race car sim ( Project Cars), here in the very near future.

Otherwise i would love a good Apache sim like AH64D Longbow 1 and 2, that was so nice to play, my first helicopter sim i ever played, i hope that DCS World will do a Apache but it will not be the D version im sure.

I am with you on that one, I so loved both Longbow 1 and 2!

Edited by dburne

I feel that submarines are probably the area of warfare that has been most accurately portrayed by sims. Silent Hunter III with Grey Wolves TC mod on full real, was so damn close to the real deal (from what I have read)

Pretty much all that could be improved from there are in the graphics and sound departments. A fully navigatable 3D interior would be the apex of awesome.

Edited by Finkeren

Word of warning about Elite Dangerous: there is no context.  You fly, trade, and blow stuff up, but that's about it.  IMHO it gets old fast.   I tend to be a SP player.  If you are an MP player then it may be possible to find a community that provides that context.  I would love a space game in the mold of Privateer.  Hell, if they added an RPG element to Elite Dangerous I would be all over that.

A good tank sim would be fun.  The problem with a tank sim is that I have never seen combined arms modeled properly.  

A good brigade/division level tactical sim (think Avalon Hill) would be a lot of fun.

Another incarnation of Silent Hunter in the Pacific would be fun.  IMHO playing as a German in the Atlantic is just too depressing.  By 1943 it was a slaughter.  The US submarine service suffered heavy casualties but at least they had a chance.

I like Europa Universalis but I am staying away from IV for the time being.  By the time you get most of the micro content you are well over $100.

In the end I confess to be an RPG player with a desire for a high degree of realism.  I modded Skyrim with as many realism mods as I could find to bring an RPG closer to a sim.  I wrote PWCG to bring a sim closer to an RPG.  

• Upvote 4

In the end I confess to be an RPG player with a desire for a high degree of realism. I modded Skyrim with as many realism mods as I could find to bring an RPG closer to a sim. I wrote PWCG to bring a sim closer to an RPG.

And we all benefit from your talent and dedication.

I think we are many who ultimately enjoy sims as primarilly an RPG experience, but few of us have your skills to actually make our ideas come true.

I would like to get a new tactical shooter in the vein of the early Rainbow 6 and Ghost Recon. 

I consider those early games more like sims, their later installments are more gamy like.

I have high hopes for the upcoming Ground Branch.

http://www.groundbranch.com/

:salute:

The best would be a single world with all aspects from the bottom of the seas to the emptyness of space (i know that space isnt empty).

There was a simulation or better say graphics engine with a hole planet earth, where you could have everything, from flying to ground moving and under water, it is some military stuff or they just sell it to militarys only if i remember correct.

But thats what we need in the future, a hole world where different devs can use it as there platform and programming stuff into this like groundforces, planes, spaceships, submarines, infantry and for the ladys get something like SIMs hehe.

All in one world, that would be a dream come true. ;)

I looked to find what im talking about but couldnt find it, maybe later i will post a link if i find it, i thought it was helios or something but it seems not what im looking for.

• Upvote 1

Forum Simulator 2017 - simulate wasting a remarkable number of hours on an internet discussion board.

Features:

• Real time reputation point updates
  • Ignore function
  • A selection of fine animated emoticons
  • Cyclic discussions of the same topic
  • Over 100 characters with alpha-type personalities 
  • A safe space for your soft feelings

Now sold as a package with the Banana forum skin DLC.

Straw Man DLC coming in April. Release date for Ad Hominem DLC is TBD.

Edited by Space_Ghost
  • Upvote 6

Forum Simulator 2017 - simulate wasting a remarkable number of hours on an internet discussion board

Maybe stop wasting your time on the forum yourself?

I want a tree simulator, with realistic physics and wood desities for Fir, Pine, Spruce, Yew etc.

If I drop a bomb on a grove of firs, and there's say 2 Spruce in there...I don't want to see the Spruce needles falling to the ground at the

same rate as the fir needles. That would be lame.

• Upvote 3

Maybe stop wasting your time on the forum yourself?

Sorry, man... It's the only semblance of a social life that I have anymore.

3650013.jpg

Edited by Space_Ghost
  • Upvote 1

In the end I confess to be an RPG player with a desire for a high degree of realism.

Personally I view simulators as the ultimate roleplaying. :salute:

A good tank sim that I saw videos of is "Steel Armor: Blaze of War", featuring the T-62 and M60A1 as playable tanks.

I had high hopes for Steel Armor going into it, but ultimately I found it to be dreadful. A 21st century game without MP, extremely un-intuitive interface and control, lousy tutorials, cyborg AI, and a fundamentally laughable damage modelling. E.g. sabots going through and through a tank, damaging only the components and crew members literally speaking directly hit by the sabot (which did not break up in the slightest upon penetration).

For me there is a human and contextual element to it.  

The human element from a flight sim PoV.  I would love to see an implementation of pilot personalities.  The personalities would be expressed numerically (values for aggressiveness, caution, experience, skill, etc.) .  These parameters would impact the AI decision making process.  In the same situation different AI personalities would make different decisions.  The result would be much greater variety in the AI in a way that makes sense to a human. 

The contextual element.  In a flight sim I need a campaign that I can be a part of.  Just flying the plane isn't enough.  My actions need a context.

Anyhow, it's all preferences. 

simulators?  surely you mean forums? 

• Upvote 1

Dragons.  Rather than planes shooting have dragons breathing fire and hitting each other with their claws and dropping boulders on soldiers and such.  

Sorry, man... It's the only semblance of a social life that I have anymore.

Ah yes, the Mid-Twenties, Post-College Social Slump. Also known as, "Where Did All The Biddies Go?"

Edited to be slightly less crude....

Edited by 19//curiousGamblerr

Airline Maintenance Hangar Simulator 2017

Features:

• Long hours of underappreciated simulated employment
  • Streams of vulgarities from disgruntled AMT's
  • Tense audits by federal employees and internal QA stooges
  • Parts departments with inaccurate inventory
  • MOUNDS of seemingly ancillary paperwork
  • Simulated lack of planning from HQ makes THEIR problem YOUR emergency
  • Young mechanics that think an APU is the guy that runs the Quicky Mart on the Simpson's
  • AOG department that's knowledge of the air frame consists of knowing it has wings and nothing more

Plus many more completely aggravating features too numerous to list!!!

DLC package 1: Disgruntled wife/domestic partner to bitch and complain about your overnight work schedule coming in July!

DLC package 2: Lost parts simulation, featuring hours of fruitless searching in vain for parts binned on the wrong shelf by the f**king new guy coming in September!

***FREE DLC***: Unprecedented workplace drama with an uncanny level of realism!

(NOTE: This is all a lighthearted joke. I really do love my career, and it's nowhere near as bad as described above.)

Edited by CG_Justin

Since we're speaking of wishes, I would expand upper "Airline Maintenance Hangar Simulator 2017" into a sim I would like to buy without joke part.

Would definitely buy addon for this sim (IL2) that brings in more "pilot simulation" into it. Like going to war room for briefing, then transport to hangar (or to where plane is, can even be a scripted ride) and then entering the plane. 

In all this pilot itself does not nee to be visible, no need to have torso, arms and legs visible while in 1st person view (3rd person view of pilot we already got, just need a few more animations for this features).

One whole expansion that don't bring new planes and maps, but simulating a bit more 'life' on the airfields. Ultimately walking around or driving in jeep just within airfield limits would be nice. Like someone said before me, bringing some RPG into the sim, could elevate this sim to stand out form the most and could open up options for carrier mode. Oh and imagine scramble missions when siren goes on and you run and see other pilots running to their planes, etc...

To continue the previous joke, lets call it "The Sims - Airfields" expansion - a sim on its own that could be shared by all BOX products for those who bought it (much like in E:D only those that bought Horizons can land on the planet surface and drive around, but can still play with those that can just fly in space).

Quote :

In all this pilot itself does not nee to be visible, no need to have torso, arms and legs visible while in 1st person view (3rd person view of pilot we already got, just need a few more animations for this features).

:)

Now THIS has always been a bother to me : not seeing my virtual hands and legs in the cockpit.

For me it is a major immersion killer not to see pilots hands on controls.

It feels like i am not in the cockpit and some "ghost" is flying the aircraft..

All fps games show hands holding guns, car sim show hands holding wheel...

If a pilot has a camera fixed on his helmet, you would see his hands and legs in the picture.

And i dont give a rats ass if some instruments are hidden, because you can have a key to temporarily remove this virtual body.

( like in some planes in dcs)

(Sorry being a little of topic here, but i had to react to this sentence which i could not agree more with. ;)

Word of warning about Elite Dangerous: there is no context.  You fly, trade, and blow stuff up, but that's about it.  IMHO it gets old fast.   I tend to be a SP player.  If you are an MP player then it may be possible to find a community that provides that context.  I would love a space game in the mold of Privateer.  Hell, if they added an RPG element to Elite Dangerous I would be all over that.

A good tank sim would be fun.  The problem with a tank sim is that I have never seen combined arms modeled properly.  

A good brigade/division level tactical sim (think Avalon Hill) would be a lot of fun.

Another incarnation of Silent Hunter in the Pacific would be fun.  IMHO playing as a German in the Atlantic is just too depressing.  By 1943 it was a slaughter.  The US submarine service suffered heavy casualties but at least they had a chance.

I like Europa Universalis but I am staying away from IV for the time being.  By the time you get most of the micro content you are well over $100.

In the end I confess to be an RPG player with a desire for a high degree of realism.  I modded Skyrim with as many realism mods as I could find to bring an RPG closer to a sim.  I wrote PWCG to bring a sim closer to an RPG.  

Yes please!! I had so much fun with Silent Hunter 4 (Trigger Maru mod). I agree on the preferring the Pacific over the Atlantic. The US Submarine effort in WW2 is one of the most overlooked.

So to round it up. Silent Hunter 4 Trigger Maru mod with DX11 graphics and the entire sub modeled. 

Grt M

Edited by I./ZG1_Martijnvdm

Now that I have a Rift, I plan on getting both a space sim ( Elite Dangerous) and a race car sim ( Project Cars), here in the very near future.

I am with you on that one, I so loved both Longbow 1 and 2!

I did try both in vr - In my opinion waste of my little time what I have left for playing.

Yes please!! I had so much fun with Silent Hunter 4 (Trigger Maru mod). I agree on the preferring the Pacific over the Atlantic. The US Submarine effort in WW2 is one of the most overlooked.

So to round it up. Silent Hunter 4 Trigger Maru mod with DX11 graphics and the entire sub modeled.

Grt M

Maybe one day we can have a sub sim about the Royal Navy submarines, for now though, the one I am looking at is Cold Waters, a sub sim set in the 1980s, in the GIUK gap. Atlantic Fleet was also quite fun, not really a sim but a pretty good representation of naval warfare in the Atlantic, last dynamic campaign the Royal Navy sank over 2000 U-Boats and surface ships.

Plumber simulation.

As you plumb more low end houses' toilets and gain exp, you get to answer to rich house plumbing service where young beautiful widow awaits you.... or univerty girls' dorm rooms....

This is a billion dollar business idea for any game devs.

i want a simulator of a simulator that connects to the first simulator in a loop

I'd like a good torpedo boat simulator.  KotS came close but died before it could really develop properly.

A British submarine sim based in the Med would be great too.  Also a midget sub/Kaiten simulation. 

I'd also really like a Huey Vietnam sim that was heavy on the human side of the experience (not the button clicking wasteland of that other title's DLC).

I loved Silent Hunter III back in the day, would definitely go for something like that again. I grabbed SH IV or V a couple years back, but it just didn't live up to the third one. Couldn't tell you if there was a sixth, honestly haven't looked. I could also go for a good tank sim. WW2 is probably the sweet spot for that, but the 1991 Gulf War would be interesting too. The Iran/Iraq war might also be interesting but I know nothing about tank engagements in that one, so I can't say either way. Currently I get my tank fix from WT but it doesn't really live up to what I'd like.

I'd like a good torpedo boat simulator. KotS came close but died before it could really develop properly.

A British submarine sim based in the Med would be great too. Also a midget sub/Kaiten simulation.

I'd also really like a Huey Vietnam sim that was heavy on the human side of the experience (not the button clicking wasteland of that other title's DLC).

A torpedo boat sim would be great, for all things naval I suggest you look at Killerfish games, they "floated" the idea of a Torpedo boat sim before choosing a cold war gone hot subsim. And in Atlantic Fleet, my British subs(I think it was Trident and Tribune) sank the Scharnhorst and a destroyer off the coast of Norway, something that they never managed to do in real life sadly. Edited by hames123

Grand Prix Legends II

A good WWII tank sim that made no effort to placate the typical gamer.

I'm thinking maybe a top-down WW2 Resistance management sim. 

You start off with your country just invaded by the Nazis and need to build up a network of trustworthy individuals in all levels of society.  It's hard at first, as morale is low and collaborators are rampant.  Expand too quickly, and your fledgling organisation will be infiltrated and it is game over before you've even begun.  At first you can only manage small acts of resistance.  Directing your operatives to paint graffiti on walls, distribute clandestine leaflets or tamper with vehicles.  Each action brings in more resource points, and as your numbers expand you can send your people out on more complex operations.  Stealing arms and balancing small acts of resource-earning sabotage against the need to spend resources on establishing safe houses, printing presses and radio sets etc. 

As your resistance expands you begin to go from hand picked patriots of solid character to receiving increasing numbers of volunteers.  They all need to be carefully vetted and cleared.  How much of your resources you expend on this dictates how safe your organisation will be from infiltration.  You need to work out whether your organisation will go it alone, or if you will ally yourself with other groups to get access to better resources and equipment for your people.  Partnership with the local communists will give you a quick boost early in the game, but can be problematic later on.  Going it alone and only plundering the enemy for weapons and resources is slower, but gives you the most autonomy of action.  Whereas establishing close ties with the allied nations will bring in a greater stream of resources, but at the same time the handouts don't come free and create much higher demands and complexity.  With the need for escape routes, increased sabotage, assassinations and intelligence gathering responsibilities.  Any one of which could lead to key figures being turned or captured and giving away the names of others.  When things go bad, they have a habit of happening very quickly.

Different nations could have different play styles and real world events could influence the outcomes.  Denmark for example would be very different to Poland.  As the war progresses and the resistance organisation becomes increasingly larger, you have more and varied tasks to manage and control.  Counter measures from the occupying forces become more extreme, and the whole situation becomes more frenetic.  Famine may become a factor.  Both in trying to alleviate it and trying to prevent hunger from turning people into enemy informers.  A breakdown of law and order as liberation approaches causes you to need more micromanagement to prevent groups from rising prematurely...

And at the end of the war, you are liberated by allied troops and get to disband, or continue and face off against the communists.