Sign in to follow this  
LG1.Farber

EDIT: About gun sounds and tracers

I found this one, Looks very helpfull, Notice: The vibrations of the Aircraft make the tracers look not linear

2:16@

I always wonder if this does matter because in fact the pilot's head also vibrates so maybe the effect remains (and il looks good too). Imho I still think B17 the mighty 8th Game had the best tracers, they were exactely like in the gun cam vids with curly tracers.

I like the sounds very much. They sound crisp and dangerous, unlike the puffs in Il2 which I hated very much.

AND the MGs are very powerfull, finaly. They really do damage. I cracked a LaGG with a short burst and it exploded like a popcorn.

One thing I think we should be cautious about is relying only on video evidence for what tracers should look like.  Unless I am mistaken, the video camera itself may not capture accurately what the eye sees (possibly the film could be too sensitive to light).  

• Upvote 2

Yeah, feel free to go somewhere else. For good.

Stern don't feel soo bad. Right now I'm in the middle of cooking a feast for SWMBO so I can't play either. I hope this newest ploy (totaly scratch cooked food) works out, or it's back the the alcohol again, just got to make sure I don't drink too much this time !

That said It would be nice to see a video while I get a break in the cooking which I've been at for the past 2 + hours now.

I've fired a LOT of weapons since 1969 from .22 to .500 Nitro (never got on a .50 BMG tho sadly) so I'm incredibly curious as to what they are talking about

I just sat and tested the 109's guns on the runway, (night mission), they seem pretty good to me, especially the sounds , some nice environmental echo and buzzing as the rounds fly close by to the view point.  No impact sounds from the aircraft though as you take damage.  It seems quite odd to suddenly notice damage to the instruments and canopy but not hear anything, with the exception of the wind over the canopy holes.  I was impressed at how well the visual damage tied up between internal and external views. The tracers look perfectly fine, as do the gun flashes, no doubt they could be tweaked here and there but it's all just a matter of taste. Stuff on the ground blows up nicely as well, also caught a visible shock wave from one of the explosions.  I did notice that recoil has no effect yet.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible

I dont know how to cook particularly well

Ever get to the Shennandoah valley VA I'll cook ya a GREAT meal ! And I have a 100m shooting range in the backyard ya can use too.

• Upvote 1

So far (one battle) I've seen nothing I thought was off other than my two kills vanishing just before they hit the ground (a bug). Solid right out the gate.

• Upvote 1

So far (one battle) I've seen nothing I thought was off other than my two kills vanishing just before they hit the ground (a bug). Solid right out the gate.

Shot down my two fellow aircraft in the night mission, both crashed into the ground and created a nice fireball in each case.

Ever get to the Shennandoah valley VA I'll cook ya a GREAT meal ! And I have a 100m shooting range in the backyard ya can use too.

If i ever get out of florida i will take you up on that

I love the sounds, they actually sound like something with a proper oomph and not the usual moped sounds. Could obviously do with some tweaking but to me they are on the right path. 

First i was not sure if this OP was meant seriously. Guns sound excellent to me, especially those on the LaGG. Tracer could perhaps need some work. Impacts look good.

I'm kind of worried that people now start posting videos of tracers again. I thought most people finally understood, that you can't compare tracers on videos with how it should look.

Bf109: it fires longer as the the gun Button is actually pressed, Way too less ammo, especially the machine guns.

It has 500 rounds for each machine gun. Exactly what it should have.

You can check it yourself, spawn on the runway, start the engine, keep the trigger pressed. You'll run out of ammo after around 30-35 seconds.

Personally I think the gun sounds and tracers are ok for this stage of development, you certainly get an impression of how much better the cannons were than MG's in dispatching aircraft. Cannon hits in particular are very well rendered.

To be honest if people are angsting about tracers at this stage then they're not paying enough attention to either where their or the enemy plane is going.

• Upvote 1

Wow, what an experience in the dogfight!!!! Man that was great, I love the weapons sound on the BF 109...it seems very real...just like when you watch real WW2 gun camera footage. I believe definitely the sound is very realistic at least  from my point of view. In my mission I took and proceeded to first Navigation Point, shot down a rookie proceeded to NP2 and shot down another rookie...but by this points I was out of bullets. Next thing I know voice tells me that there is an ace approaching. Wow, so I got the hell out of the enemy NP and the ace was on my six...chasing me. I went for my airbase as I was hopping the AA would help me save my skin but there was no AA!!! So I made a fast tight turn the enemy was shooting at me but he didn't hit he...then I checked my sick and notice he hit the ground. Hmmmm, why ? I guess it's a bug or or he did something wrong in the cockpit :D

Two things, I feel like my plane is too wobbly...not sure if that's the right term it just seems like over all the place..I think at those speeds that I'm doing it shouldn't feel like I'm flying a Cessna 172 plane. Also speed of my plane doesn't seems to have much impact on this wobbly effect.

Second, the text messages from the voice tower etc....can they be displayed at the top of the screen like we had it in the original IL2 ? It's bit hard to read when they are on the side. Also it would better if the text was black rather than white colour.

Considering this game is only 35% done it looks great, I'm really looking forward to it. My concern is that in ROF the enemy AI in career mode is very weak and there are not enough fights in the air. So I'm hoping that Il2 Stalingrad will be at least like the original IL2, more planes in the air and as much fight in the air.

Edited by I./JG53_BlackJaguar

One thing I think we should be cautious about is relying only on video evidence for what tracers should look like.  Unless I am mistaken, the video camera itself may not capture accurately what the eye sees (possibly the film could be too sensitive to light).  

that's true for most film camera, but there are really good modern videos that have the right shutter speed and offer a "true to the eye" recording of tracers. 

Edited by Sternjaeger

that's true for most film camera, but there are really good modern videos that have the right shutter speed and offer a "true to the eye" recording of tracers.

Every tracer I've seen in real life looked like a glowing orb, no line at all.

Haven't seen any videos that captured that same image.

Edited by AbortedMan
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I don't really have many complaints about the tracer rendering. Pretty good for where we are right now.

The gun sounds sound decent enough, but I do hope they're placeholders. They don't match the action of the guns and the whoosh whoosh sound you can hear if you fire them on the ground is silly.

Edited by NonWonderDog

I can not believe some people this is an Alpha ,and as stated an early access there is more to be done development wise as we all know serious simmers are looking for bugs at the moment not how good or bad the guns sound.As it stands Iam more concerned about tech issues and not childish comments

Every tracer I've seen in real life looked like a glowing orb, no line at all.

Haven't seen any videos that captured that same image.

well if you're in the shooting position you see the globes, but when the tracers ricochet you see a streak! I shot with 50 cals and MG3 (which is basically an MG42 in 7.62 NATO) whilst in the Army and I remember seeing streaks very well.

And WOW Steppenwolf! That looks like the place to be!!!  :o:

Edited by Sternjaeger
  • Upvote 1

I always wonder if this does matter because in fact the pilot's head also vibrates so maybe the effect remains (and il looks good too). Imho I still think B17 the mighty 8th Game had the best tracers, they were exactely like in the gun cam vids with curly tracers.

The vibration of the camera causes the tracers to look wiggly, nothing else. 

well if you're in the shooting position you see the globes, but when the tracers ricochet you see a streak! I shot with 50 cals and MG3 (which is basically an MG42 in 7.62 NATO) whilst in the Army and I remember seeing streaks very well.

this. when you are firing the weapon, it looks like a dot, when the tracer ricochets its a line.so as the bullets fall the tracer should be I think a kinda of streak

also note that there were tracers of different intensities. The Luftwaffe had such a wide variety, even just for the 7.92mm!!!

If i ever get out of florida i will take you up on that

Cool, you are more than welcome here. You and my kid can share ptsd stories lol.

Ah, we didn't have any ricochet (surprisingly, now that I think of it) and it was a very bright day.

Ah, we didn't have any ricochet (surprisingly, now that I think of it) and it was a very bright day.

well it depends on the calibre, distance, what you're shooting at and what ammo you're using.. I remember having helluva fun with a belt of tracers only: the MG3 had such a high rate of fire that it looked like laser beams LOL  our sergeant wasn't too impressed though, cos we managed to set the range hill on fire  :wacko:

Bring LOT's of $$, lot's of it if you want to really let rip.

google it and you can see just how many MG's people bring, Wow...

That said, never really been a fan of full auto myself, bolt, single shot rifles have always been my favorite.

Bring LOT's of $$, lot's of it if you want to really let rip.

google it and you can see just how many MG's people bring, Wow...

That said, never really been a fan of full auto myself, bolt, single shot rifles have always been my favorite.

I like them all: I love my K98, but my heart was completely sold to my M1 Garand from the very first day that I got it  :hunter:

Nothing gives you goose bumps like a machine gun though, especially when used at longer distances!

Food and shooting?..see ya in about an hour and a half!  :biggrin:

Edited by Blackwolf

Sounds and looks like an arcade game from the 90's...  Its terrible.  Its like i am firing massive diamond tracers and the guns are from some kinda steam punk game...

Faber - What you should have done before posting or even after posting once it was to late to retract what you said, is you should have been scouring the web to backup what you said about the tracers and sound. I have watched WW2 footage and to be honest I feel the tracers look very good. I have no sound in this footage, so i wont comment on that. I just hope they don't take out what looks realistic just because someone wants it to look different. Take a look at 1:50 sec in this clip and tell me it still looks off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGrv8npGBnY

Edited by Rigsby

Game video: Watch it on 1080 and full screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ6NNHrMnyM&feature=youtu.be

I like Gielow test gun tracer from external view  and see a tracer moving from the side way  and compare to real tracer from video.

- we can see the distance between a pair of a trancers

- we can see light of tracer's effect.

[imho]

In alpha version (machine gun)  the tracer light flash like a ball , in fact if that fire ball moving with speed supper sonic how it should look like ?

but in video for a real trace look like a flash dot when moving with supper sonic it become (short) flash line

yep, very good video example: the "tracer ball" is actually spot on, but I think they need to reduce the muzzle flash. I've posted videos before where I showed the difference between the muzzle flash on a blank firing machine-gun and a live fire one, it's another of those Hollywood collaterals that people tend to underestimate. 

Edited by Sternjaeger

I'm really liking the guns, sounds and the flash effects. If all these elements were final I think they'd be pretty good… So I'm excited to see if they can get even better from here. Thank you developers for bringing us combat so soon and doing such a great job!

I like the sounds very much. They sound crisp and dangerous, unlike the puffs in Il2 which I hated very much.

AND the MGs are very powerfull, finaly. They really do damage. I cracked a LaGG with a short burst and it exploded like a popcorn.

As a former doorgunner on a UH-60, and trained on a UH-1, using the M60D, I can tell you there are no jagged lines from tracers when seen with the naked eye. (The UH-1 has a bit of shake - the Blackhawk less so.) Jaggies are a result of the frame rate of those old BW cameras.

Tracers are more like those described earlier as balls and streaks from ricochets. Because the guns are fired laterally from a helo there was a little streaking when firing down and behind from altitude. While ground firing an M60 and when the gun is fired forward, so you are essentially directly behind the weapon, the streaking only occurs when there is the ricochet.

I would love to see the jagged tracers, however, if some sort of gun camera footage is available later in the build.

I'm pretty happy with the tracers the way they are (having seen 7,62mm, 12,7mm, 23mm and 35mm tracers live). Tracers don't look like long star wars lazors the way some videos and pictures might suggest but they look surprisingly big especially at longer ranges.

• Upvote 1

I like them all: I love my K98, but my heart was completely sold to my M1 Garand from the very first day that I got it  :hunter:

Nothing gives you goose bumps like a machine gun though, especially when used at longer distances!

Ok, your a real man because of your love of the M 1 (just kidding, sort of lol) Best semi auto battle rifle ever. I do like the Fn 1949 tho, and the Sweedish Lungimen {sic} My 1942 Tokarev SVT works well if you pay attention, (broke at the moment) but not as reliable. My K 98 came from the eastern front, I gave it to my kid. He LOVES it.

I just could never get the thrill of full auto. I used to shoot competition (pistol) and never understood the love of full auto to people. I did enjoy a 1967 M 16, but was none too impressed with the M 60, even tho it didn't jam on me. (like EVERY M 16/M 4 I've ever fired !!!) I was worried when my kid stopped carrying a SAW in Iraq and got stuck with an M 4, least he was smart enough to hate it too. (I've heard quite a few stories of people getting killed because of it's jamming problems, don't get me started, direct impingment gas operating system is a BAD idea, I sold my custom built one)

I like my single shot model 1885 in 22 250. (40 gr handloads @ 4250fps) Three rounds through the same hole @ 100yds, now thats saying something to me. And the crows/groundhogs hated me shooting them out to 400yds with it. :lol:

Edited by thx1138

As a former doorgunner on a UH-60, and trained on a UH-1, using the M60D, I can tell you there are no jagged lines from tracers when seen with the naked eye. (The UH-1 has a bit of shake - the Blackhawk less so.) Jaggies are a result of the frame rate of those old BW cameras.

Tracers are more like those described earlier as balls and streaks from ricochets. Because the guns are fired laterally from a helo there was a little streaking when firing down and behind from altitude. While ground firing an M60 and when the gun is fired forward, so you are essentially directly behind the weapon, the streaking only occurs when there is the ricochet.

I would love to see the jagged tracers, however, if some sort of gun camera footage is available later in the build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAjGAHYgnwk#t=36

I agree with HerrMurf,

long time ago when I play B17 i like jagged tracers it moving like terrible hi-speed sneak and I most agree if IL2:BOS has gun camera footage to make that  fun video.

but from the pilot eye are difference ...  many military experience share this point at the same direction.

except we tie a pilot head with plane's frame same like a gun sign camera. :biggrin:

Edited by Karost

Food and shooting?..see ya in about an hour and a half!  :biggrin:

Shoot me a PM if interested in visiting. Weve lost three family members in the past three months now, so we are kinda froggy at the now, but most family has already visited and left for the moment. but new company is always welcome.

Edited by thx1138

Zak I posted in another topic about the tracers and with 12 years in the Marines and 1000s and 1000s of rounds fired through everything from SAWs, M60E3s, and M2s the way the tracers look from the gunners position are almost spot on. It looks exactly like launching orange golf balls or tennis balls depending on the round size. The brightness of the tracer effect is just about right especially when I tried shooting the guns at night. Its a very good start!!

• Upvote 2

I'm pretty happy with the tracers the way they are (having seen 7,62mm, 12,7mm, 23mm and 35mm tracers live). Tracers don't look like long star wars lazors the way some videos and pictures might suggest but they look surprisingly big especially at longer ranges.

I have fired my share of 120mm tracer.  That does look kinda like a laser! ;-)