gx007

How to activate the radio beacon finder

Hey guys,

I tried to get it activated (alt-C), but it doesn't work. Is this a server activated feature? What am I missing?

Thanks

Greg

it works on servers with enabled beacons

it works on servers with enabled beacons

Ya it's up to the mission maker to set it all up.

TAW will have it when it comes back, I'm not sure if it works in WoL missions since they have GPS enabled.

There's no activation to do in the client side. If it's not working complain to the server owner or mission maker

It works automatically like others have said based on mission maker..

in the cockpit when RTB on WoL Random expert or thers.

In LW planes you just line this needle up and you will get home to nearest (Primary Spawn) Airfield
OpssCCW.jpg

It works automatically like others have said based on mission maker..

in the cockpit when RTB on WoL Random expert or thers.

In LW planes you just line this needle up and you will get home to nearest (Primary Spawn) Airfield

Good info Sshadow, I guess flying on WoL so much I never really had a need for it. :biggrin:

TAW has this? That'll make learning navigation way easier.

If memory serves, I was supplying a newly aqquired airfield, half way there the beacon switched over to the new airfield and led me right to it. Same happened on the way back, so I had navigational help both ways for my several runs there.

It works on the Random Expert server, one good reason to pick an AC with a receiver.

Well the homing beacon should work, if set in mission. What is interesting for axis bombers are to be able to change frequency for further navigation

Well the homing beacon should work, if set in mission. What is interesting for axis bombers are to be able to change frequency for further navigation

Are you saying we can switch to different beacons or that we need to be able to switch channels? As i periodically look to see if it has been added.

If we have, or will get the ability to switch channels it will greatly enhance using the beacons. We also need the ability to change the course setter, the ring around the mag and repeater compasses, as this would make it a lot easier to fly "from" a beacon like we can with the Ju-52.

I had looked into that, but apparently navigation on the Eastern Front was rudimentary, basically what we have in game with a radio beacon at an airfield pointing the way home.

On the Western Front, both the Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces used more sophisticated methods such as multiple beacons so you could triangulate your position or cues that would give you the range.

Are you saying we can switch to different beacons or that we need to be able to switch channels?

Currently, if the person who created the mission has provided "friendly" beacons in multiple places (e.g. at multiple airfields), and has also given them different channel numbers, then in the plane your direction finder will automatically switch to the nearest beacon.

Currently, if the person who created the mission has provided "friendly" beacons in multiple places (e.g. at multiple airfields), and has also given them different channel numbers, then in the plane your direction finder will automatically switch to the nearest beacon.

Thank you, that explains what some are talking about. The other side of the conversation is the ability to change channels in the cockpit so I can home on the beacon I want to fly "To" or "From"

Unless something has changed, the valid channel numbers in the mission editor are either 0 (disabled) or 1 (enabled). The radio receiver points to the nearest friendly beacon. 

I remember reading somewhere that the devs may add more channels in a future release, but that's not definite.

Edited by JimTM

The radio receiver points to the nearest friendly beacon. 

Last time I was on random Expert a few weeks back, that is the way it works. The receiver always points to the nearest friendly airfield.

The lack of channels is not a practical issue so far since usually there are only a few active airfield on a map so it is fairly easy to figure out which airfield beacon you are tuned to.

A bigger issue is the fact that as I recall, the 109s and 190s do not have a receiver while most of the Soviet fighters do which gives them a navigation advantage.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

A bigger issue is the fact that as I recall, the 109s and 190s do not have a receiver while most of the Soviet fighters do which gives them a navigation advantage.

That's not an issue if that's how it was during the time. Did 109s and 190s have radio beacon finders?

That's not an issue if that's how it was during the time. Did 109s and 190s have radio beacon finders?

The Fw 190 A-5 has a receiver.  :cool:

Check the pictures in the associated DD. 

Edited by 4./JG52_Space_Ghost

not the ones we had in game, so that is historically correct.

Unless something has changed, the valid channel numbers in the mission editor are either 0 (disabled) or 1 (enabled). The radio receiver points to the nearest friendly beacon. 

I remember reading somewhere that the devs may add more channels in a future release, but that's not definite.

That's my understanding as well. Han did in one of his answers to the questions for the devs thread said that there are more channels built into the game already (so a mission builder could give NDBs their own channels) but they've gone for the binary on-or-off set up and even that isn't used - he said. (He's not correct, but that's what he said!)

Hopefully, they'll turn it on, though. Just as the Ju52 brought more possibilities for new game modes, new ways to do navigation would add another dimension to the game.

Bf109's up to G2 and Fw190's up to A3 did not have beacon finders, but Germans had another significant advantage - Würzburg and Würzburg-Riese radars, so pilots could get directions from ground if needed.

Bf109's up to G2 and Fw190's up to A3 did not have beacon finders, but Germans had another significant advantage - Würzburg and Würzburg-Riese radars, so pilots could get directions from ground if needed.

I seem to recall in Il-2 1946 you could ask for a vector to home base - would be useful if that was possible here when realistic.

• Upvote 1

So I presume the reason server admins don't activate this feature is because it gives an unfair advantage to VVS?

So I presume the reason server admins don't activate this feature is because it gives an unfair advantage to VVS?

It's up to the mission maker, not the server admin.

I think the reason it's not common is because it takes work to set up properly.

Edited by 19.GIAP//curiousGamblerr

ITS NOT AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE!! (Stop with that MMO Team death match balancing crud that has no place in this game)

There is no fair or unfair advantages only HISTORY
No planes are modified so they perform better or worse than they did just so it balances the plane.(they are attempted to be the best historical Copy)
This is why i have said servers need a balancing script so its always 2:1 atleast in VVS Favor (Eg, should be 50VVS Versus 20-25LW to make it historical)

There is NO Russian bias this was started by 1 person in 1 article about War thunder
before that the saying did not even exist.

Note:
Not having a go at you GX007
Just the idea that history needs balancing to make it fair.

Edited by =r4t=Sshadow14
  • Upvote 1

There is no fair or unfair advantages only HISTORY No planes are modified so they perform better or worse than they did just so it balances the plane.(they are attempted to be the best historical Copy) This is why i have said servers need a balancing script so its always 2:1 atleast in VVS Favor (Eg, should be 50VVS Versus 20-25LW to make it historical)

You are against balancing and then are trying to force a "balancing script" that makes no sense at all? Do you think that on every possible mission VVS had at least 2:1 local air superiority? They had more planes, maybe more "greenhorn" pilots, but it should be pretty obvious that they were not having local 2:1 air superiority on every engagement.

How about a historical script that forces inexperienced pilots to VVS, using vic formations, while putting "battle-hardened" pilots into LW planes? Makes more sense historically, compared to enforced local air superiority.

I did a quick look around the current aircraft set (minus the Tante Ju, which I do not own) and found that each side has 5 aircraft models capable of supporting NDB equipment in the cockpit. From memory the aircraft capable of supporting it were...

LW/Axis: JU-87, Ju-88 both Bf110 variants, He-111

VVS/Allies: both Pe2 variants, La-5, both Yak-1 variants

Please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken

Kemp, you wrote, that the 109's didn't have beacon finders up to the G2 version, so the G4, we got for BOK, should have it? Because I can't find any.

ITS NOT AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE!! (Stop with that MMO Team death match balancing crud that has no place in this game)

There is no fair or unfair advantages only HISTORY

No planes are modified so they perform better or worse than they did just so it balances the plane.(they are attempted to be the best historical Copy)

This is why i have said servers need a balancing script so its always 2:1 atleast in VVS Favor (Eg, should be 50VVS Versus 20-25LW to make it historical)

There is NO Russian bias this was started by 1 person in 1 article about War thunder

before that the saying did not even exist.

Note:

You are against balancing and then are trying to force a "balancing script" that makes no sense at all? Do you think that on every possible mission VVS had at least 2:1 local air superiority? They had more planes, maybe more "greenhorn" pilots, but it should be pretty obvious that they were not having local 2:1 air superiority on every engagement.

How about a historical script that forces inexperienced pilots to VVS, using vic formations, while putting "battle-hardened" pilots into LW planes? Makes more sense historically, compared to enforced local air superiority.

LOL

So then the sim is correct. Thanks, Kemp

Kemp, you wrote, that the 109's didn't have beacon finders up to the G2 version, so the G4, we got for BOK, should have it? Because I can't find any.

yes, from 109 G-3 and 190 A-4 on, but it is not evident how common it was.

I had read that many Luftwaffe day fighters, as late as 1944, did not have them which caused a fair number of losses when green pilots could not find their bases in poor weather.

It does not give an unfair advantage to the Russians since it is not that hard to navigate if you plan properly, however it does lighten the pilot's workload.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

Note:

Hello Sshadow,

I'm not at at all looking for balance but why it's server activated. 

Has anyone requested from the devs to make this feature client-activated?

Edited by gx007

Has anyone requested from the devs to make this feature client-activated?

If you're going to do client activated, you might as well just change it to always be activated.

Though, if there's only one channel, would that mean the enemy could easily use the unit to home in on an enemy base as well?

I don't know if there are any downsides to always having it on other than that.

I say you should suggest it to them. I'd vote for it right now :salute:

If you're going to do client activated, you might as well just change it to always be activated.

Though, if there's only one channel, would that mean the enemy could easily use the unit to home in on an enemy base as well?

I don't know if there are any downsides to always having it on other than that.

I say you should suggest it to them. I'd vote for it right now :salute:

No. When setting up the NDB in the mission editor you pick a faction for it to apply to.

No. When setting up the NDB in the mission editor you pick a faction for it to apply to.

Ah ok cool!

In that case, suggest away, gx007!

Clean the marked location build and activate the radio transmitter and then talk to Preston Garvey after that place a radio beacon.

• Confused 1