IL2 Cliff of Dover now very good!

Yeah, but to just drop it to the fact that it's all "very good" without having a chance of discussing it - assuming that we're here for a possibility of civil discussion, and not to just say yes - is a little silly, isn't it? That people can't talk without giving in to bad manners, that's another problem, real life or not. Back to topic, I guess.

Edited by Picchio

Single players opnion required:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8127

Sokol1

I'm not registred on ATAG forum, so can't answer over there...

But in the few posts i readed, all is said.

Broken but essential

- attack my target (air and ground)

- attack fighters/bombers

- help

- rtb

- reform

+ landing/take off demand broken.

A "break fight" order would be welcome, as well as "stay in formation and follow me" too.

Still having the plane selection client freezes bug, maybe it's only prevalent among Win8 users.

And recently after recent NVidia updates, CTD is more frequent now.

Hum...don't have the freeze you're talking about, and i'm using Win8...

Latest drivers installed for my Zotac 580 (332.21)

Edited by Fifi

You should do 40+ fps with mods on and have a lot better visuals, new clouds, lots of fixed bugs, new plane variants and other cool stuff. There's simple no good reason to play the current nonmoded version.

I play the latest TF version and one of the very early versions. I just love the lighting in the original release.

I think back then, CLOD had the most realistic lighting I have ever seen in a sim and I don't think we'll get to that level, in a flight sim, in the next 10 years.

Lighting is being worked on and improved with every patch! Did you see the TF update from sunday 19th of jan? ;)

Edited by Kling

Lighting is being worked on and improved with every patch! Did you see the TF update from sunday 19th of jan? ;)

Yes. I know. It's much better than the latest official release.  Not to the level of the original release, though.

It's not TF's fault.  Luthier dumbed down the engine long before the game was dropped.

Wolger,

I have the same client freezing on selection screens (Win 8.1) when I actually change a selection, but no CTDs (perhaps because I then switch to flying in ROF when the freeze bites me). :)

I thought I read somewhere where if you go ahead and fly with whatever is on the default plane screen, and then once that flight is complete, you can change items on selection screens for succeeding flights, and it won't tend to freeze on you again during your current session...

I love flying CloD.

Still having the plane selection client freezes bug, maybe it's only prevalent among Win8 users.
And recently after recent NVidia updates, CTD is more frequent now.

Edited by rlk281
  • Upvote 1

Wolger,

I have the same client freezing on selection screens (Win 8.1) when I actually change a selection, but no CTDs (perhaps because I then switch to flying in ROF when the freeze bites me). :)

I thought I read somewhere where if you go ahead and fly with whatever is on the default plane screen, and then once that flight is complete, you can change items on selection screens for succeeding flights, and it won't tend to freeze on you again during your current session...

Thanks!! It works by just flying the default plane first no more client freeze afterwards.

For the CTD during in-flight- I tried enabling V-Sync and at the same time quit using the track recording, no more CTDs. Somehow before this I could use the track record function without any problem. I'll try the track record again with V-Sync on.

I installed and patched CloD this weekend and it's absolute getting there imo. It runs like charm. A big thanks to all the guys that work on modding!

One thing only... How do I get rid of the big grey rectangle on the left side of my ingame screen?

I installed and patched CloD this weekend and it's absolute getting there imo. It runs like charm. A big thanks to all the guys that work on modding!

One thing only... How do I get rid of the big grey rectangle on the left side of my ingame screen?

The in-game info windows management is pretty unintuitive.

Right click on it and click create a new info window. Then only you can close them (the grey one and the one you newly created).

• Upvote 1

There is a very good tutorial on working with and customizing the info windows in Cliffs of Dover, over on the ATAG forums.

I was pulling my hair out over them till I went through the tutorial while customizing mine.

• Upvote 1

The pop in grass is an issue brought by one of the 1C official patches in order to save FPS. This issue is on the "TF to do" list as it is indeed very annoying as it looks pretty bad!

That's good to hear!

4.01 will be awesome  :o:

Love the new shaders and sounds!

Can't wait to try it  :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. Seeing Fifi's great screenshots, I tried to get Sweetfx working (again) in my sistem, but to no avail.

I've downloaded tons of versions. so the question is:

Is anyone able to play CLOD with SweetFX on Win8.1 x64? If so, would this soul be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Yes I am. I did have a LOT of problems to get it started, but it works now and the sim looks a lot better.

First thing to check is if your windows version has an update called KB2670838.

Go to "control panel" -> "windows update" -> "view update history" -> "installed updates".

In the right upper corner type the name: KB2670838.

If the system finds it, remove it as it screws up a lot of stuff that has to do with gaming.

After that, I went to this thread: 

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3050

I installed and it worked. Been trying to tinkle with the settings, have tried other profiles and found the one I like best on the this forum. It was Fifi's profile, you should be able to find that profile here.

Good luck.

Hi guys. Seeing Fifi's great screenshots, I tried to get Sweetfx working (again) in my sistem, but to no avail.

I've downloaded tons of versions. so the question is:

Is anyone able to play CLOD with SweetFX on Win8.1 x64? If so, would this soul be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Seems it's just SweetFX you have problems to run, not COD?

I have Win8 (not Win8.1) and only problem was to run COD itself. Downloading the Cloder.exe solved it fortunately.

Now, for SweetFX, didn't encounter any problem when using ROF FlightFX.

Download and install FlightFX, drop my sweetFX inside the presets folder, then run it with admins rights and select the correct COD.exe in left window, and choose my SweetFX text file in right window...that's all!

Good luck  :salute:

hi guys. im new to clod but not new at flight sim... i played WB, AH , and the poor war thunder for some weeks before uninstalling it.

and i need to say that i finally find home with clod on the atag server...    

really impressive!!!       play it guys, in my opinion the FMs are pretty well modeled

• Upvote 1

the only bit of optimization worht having is the admittedly steep jump towards true multicore support. if you don't have that, no amount of model or programming, terrain, sfx optimization is really going to do much. il2 and rise of flight are ahead because they looked forward and future proofed their engine.

maddox is sadly still sticking to single core engines like dcs engine. i almost feel sorry for them not realizing the power of multicore, both for the costumer as well as the developers. doesn't he realize he can be more accurate in his calculations when there's more power and parallel processing avilable?

I purchased CoD for top dollar when it was first released and eventually uninstalled it for reasons most will be aware of. I'm toying with the idea of reinstalling, patching and giving it another whirl.

With RoF and BoS installed I've only got 39Gb left on my SSD. How many Gb does the fully patched CoD run to? I need to keep some reserve for when BoS gets up to 100%.

I'm toying with the idea of reinstalling, patching and giving it another whirl.

With RoF and BoS installed I've only got 39Gb left on my SSD. How many Gb does the fully patched CoD run to? I need to keep some reserve for when BoS gets up to 100%.

Its definitely worth giving it another go with the Team Fusion patches. They've worked wonders with it.  You're right though, SSD is gonna' be pretty full when BoS is released.  Also, I think the team will be going all out for another expansion this year to keep the momentum up after BoS's initial release in the spring.  Something to consider? 

So far I have 200 GB free on my 256 GB Samsung Pro SSD I use for my games, and the TF Mod Cliffs will always have a permanent spot on that SSD no matter what. It was the first thing I installed on it.

I still need to download all my registered DCS sims as well on this new system, which I just have not got around to doing yet. Plus I contributed to the Kickstarter for DCS WWII as well, so will have that whenever it becomes available also.

Also have 180GB still free on the C drive, which is my other 256 GB Samsung Pro SSD that I can put games on if necessary. And if I eventually have to add a third I certainly will... still have plenty of disc space on my hard drives I use for data storage as well.

Edited by dburnette

Yes and in this very screenshot alone you can see some things that are new in TF4.2

1.The "whitening of the aircraft skin has been eliminated" It is now reflective but keeps the correct colours when reflecting.

2. The low alt fog in the early morning hours can bee seen on this screenshot.

3. FINALLY one of the geniuses at Team Fusion has been able to add AA (anti aliasing in game) With TF4.2 any setting above 0 will give the AA. So no more reason for external programs like sweetFX etc etc ;) 

• Upvote 2

I am so excited about TF 4.20, especially after today's update and checking out the early draft of the readme for it.

That screenshot is absolutely gorgeous, I  have been waiting very patiently for this update, now even more so.

I do hope it does make release next weekend, if so I know what I will be doing all weekend!

Sorry guys, another small question about CloD: what is the last Team Fusion patch available? On ATAG forum I see only the 4.00 in the download section, but here you talk about 4.01 and 4.02. Ok, the 4.02 is just the draft read me, but the 4.01? Is it yet avaible?

Thanks!