Fifi

IL2 Cliff of Dover now very good!

the next iteration of a game series is a downgrade not an upgrade...  :blink:

:blink:, literally.

You guys are unbelivable.

Especially with all those neverending sermons about potential...

Cliffs TF4 runs amazing on my system, very high frame rates and smooth performance with no stutters. It is beautiful.

TF 4.01 which is around the corner , looks amazing as well - I am really looking forward to that release.

What Team Fusion has accomplished with this sim to date, is absolutely incredible.

Edited by dburnette
  • Upvote 3

After playing the Community patch for CLOD it has changed the game for me, before it was unplayable.

I think this will still be updated and played by many even when BOS releases.

Linky to the upcoming Team Fusion 4.01 patch features video, it looks really good http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8013

Edited by Sloakz

I think this will still be updated and played by many even when BOS releases.

For myself, not only because it looks really beautiful, but because COD is about one of the most important battle of WW2 history (if not the most)  ;)

This theater is probably my favourit, and reminds me so much things i learned and watched during my childness.

Battle of Britain will always remain so iconic!

Stalingrad theater is nice and very ineteresting also, but is one step attracting behind for me.

That's why i think i will keep on playing COD even with a nice BOS beside.

For myself, not only because it looks really beautiful, but because COD is about one of the most important battle of WW2 history (if not the most)  ;)

This theater is probably my favourit, and reminds me so much things i learned and watched during my childness.

Battle of Britain will always remain so iconic!

Stalingrad theater is nice and very ineteresting also, but is one step attracting behind for me.

That's why i think i will keep on playing COD even with a nice BOS beside.

Agree! And 10 euros for COD is a bargain.

Every cent, from now on, should go to Team Fusion.

because COD is about one of the most important battle of WW2 history (if not the most)

I think that at least for being about the Battle of Britain, CloD can't really be so proud of itself. It has many other virtues, but from the point of view of historical immersion and re-creation (and why not, even combat), Battle of Britain 2 still seems to me like it's the unbeaten benchmark. CloD is still far behind.

Every cent, from now on, should go to Team Fusion.

Whose... ?

Edited by Picchio

I think that at least for being about the Battle of Britain, CloD can't really be so proud of itself. It has many other virtues, but from the point of view of historical immersion and re-creation (and why not, even combat), Battle of Britain 2 still seems to me like it's the unbeaten benchmark. CloD is still far behind.

Can't say about Battle of Britain 2, as i never tried it. So i probably will believe you.

But COD provide so nice map and sea rendering, so nice planes and cockpit rendering, so many improvments made by TF and still not finished...historical immersion and re-creation isn't that far IMO, and can be easily done by 3rd party.

Desastersoft has already produced some amazing historical re-creation! Have you tried it?

I've seen this sort of opinion - "CLoD is this that and the other but it does not do the Battle of Britain very well" - quite often and it puzzles me.  For all its short comings, its always struck me that the original devs did a really good job of work on the whole scenario.

The have given us a decent sized map covering the main area of the Battle fought between July and October 1940.  It gives us the two main target areas; the RAF stations of 11 Group, Fighter Command and a detailed model of London.  It also gives us the area of France from which the main Luftwaffe sorties originated.  And all to scale.

We also have an almost complete plane set of the battle period plus a couple of oddities too which can only be regarded as a bonus. 

All this is modelled to a very high standard and thanks to the efforts of Team Fusion we now have a high standard of functionality too.  All the tools needed are in place now.  Its up to the players to make of it what they will.  Worth checking out some of the ACG videos floating around to get an idea of what an organized group can do. 

• Upvote 1

but from the point of view of historical immersion and re-creation (and why not, even combat), Battle of Britain 2 still seems to me like it's the unbeaten benchmark

I tried BoB II when it was released in 2006. I installed it, flewa few missions, and uninstalled it.

It was quite bugged, graphism were sub-par compaired to IL2. And there was a big complex campaign system with it, that needed hours of manual reading to try to get into.

Maybe it was the summum of immersion for someone playing grand-tactical game, and wanting to immerse while playing Hugh Dowding.... but as a combat flight simulation, it wasn't believable.

Some Stuka training and flying. Can't wait to get them in BOS as well!

171602Stuka.jpg

417131Stuka1.jpg

My formation in Desastersoft campaign.

Watching those 10 close fighters 109 using F3 sounded trully stunning  :o:

(some couldn't be taken on same screeny - got 3 on other side)

950956Monescadrille109.jpg

• Upvote 3

Fifi, nice screenshots. I played several hours of quite a few campaigns from Desastersoft's Wick vs. Dundas, and I have to agree with you that they did an outstanding job given the not so rich conditions of single player content at the time, but unfortunately I can't appreciate them enough because the issues with radio commands and the inconsistent (but sometimes so brilliant, as I've stated quite often) AI.

Rama, you could try BOB2 with the latest updates, just don't expect shiny graphics technology. The air combat though is immensely rewarding, along with a truer "taste" of the epoch, at least that's what I feel.

Arthursmedley, I agree with you, but I'm mainly thinking of quality and longevity of single player content, which in my opinion lacks the gears to work satisfactorily.

Going back to Desastersoft, I've asked somewhere else around here already, but does anyone have a clue whether they're still working on a proper translation of Channel Battles, or it has been given up on for good? I remember those news of an upcoming translation, but sadly they're now almost one year old...

Edited by Picchio

@Picchio, yeah I see where you're coming from.  I think non-functioning a.i. radio commands are one of the last major faults still to be addressed in the original game.

For me it makes single-player pointless which is a great pity as there is obviously some great stuff out there.

I think Team Fusion have said they are working towards something for their v5.00 release. How easy a task this is remains to be seen.

Salute

Thanks to all who posted positive comments, we do appreciate them.  Even those who have negative things to say, we are happy to read them, TF's CoD is a work in progress and we try to respond to remaining issues, as we have already responded with fixes for the more obvious glitches in the game.

Just to let people know, we will be releasing TF 4.01 in the near future, and that release will include a complete revision of the ground handling, and takeoff/landing modeling.  This will include more accurate ground Centers of Gravity, spring stiffness, oleo leg characteristics for the different types, as well as enhanced propwash effects.  This will coincide with the implementation of more of the game's very complex layered wind modeling on the servers, to provide a more challenging landing and takeoff experience.

TF 4.01 will also include a fix for the 'lawndarting' issue with AI, although a complete revision of AI behaviour is going to have to wait till TF 5.0, as it is quite a considerable undertaking.

There will also be quite a number of other revisions to graphics and FM's, with a special focus on bombers and attack aircraft, all of which you will be able to find on our updates thread tomorrow.  (Friday 17th)

We do expect to continue to improve the game, and hope it can be one of a strong trilogy of games available for Flight Sim enjoyment, CoD, BoS and DCS.  :salute:

Good stuff... I have to ask though, is there a fully functioning radio command menu that now works... as a mainly offline player I can't see the point in playing if that system hasn't been overhauled.

Good stuff... I have to ask though, is there a fully functioning radio command menu that now works... as a mainly offline player I can't see the point in playing if that system hasn't been overhauled.

Well, when you hit toggle radio menu it's appearing  :biggrin:

All formation orders are working, asking for targets or home airfield as well, 

To me if i recall well, only asking for take off and landing aren't working. It's always denied.

Playing SP as you, it's not a big deal at all for me.

Team fusion have made a really wonderful job, thanks alot guys! 

I still have a tedious and immersion killer problem, when the engine is in idle it became completly silent! No sound at all! And it happens with all tipe of aircraft... Is this a known bug or I am the only one with this issue?

Team fusion have made a really wonderful job, thanks alot guys! 
I still have a tedious and immersion killer problem, when the engine is in idle it became completly silent! No sound at all! And it happens with all tipe of aircraft... Is this a known bug or I am the only one with this issue?

Nope, engine idle i get sound here....am afraid it's on your side.

thank you for the quick answer! 

That's good, I'll try to investigate, maybe I'll reinstall everything from scratch...

make sure your in game volume slider is set to max.

if you need to turn the game sound down if using teamspeak etc, turn the game sound down in windows rather than in game, turning the in game slider down can result in some sounds not playing properly.

• Upvote 1

Watching those 10 close fighters 109 using F3 sounded trully stunning
(some couldn't be taken on same screeny - got 3 on other side)

"Piece of cake!"

Go for external (F2)
Change camera for another alied plane (is Ctrl+F2 or Shif+F2) until camera go to one of the planes on sides of formation. Move camera wih mouse (or HAT) and take a picture of all formation. ;)

To me if i recall well, only asking for take off and landing aren't working. It's always denied.

True, but if you ask for permission for landing - before take off - are permited (I know, useless). :)

Sokol1

Wow that looks cracking! Its getting harder with every update to not download COD TF but if I do I will just remind myself of the potential that COD had how it will not be in BOS :(

We really do not know what will be in BoS.. potentially I mean.. and I still just do not understand why some of you guys feel the need, almost a compulsive need it seems , to take a stab at BoS every time  you talk about CoD. I just do not get it. One would think that at this stage in the game (no pun intended) you guys would just be glad that CoD is where it is and accept the fact that BoS is coming and it will stand, and run, and fly quite well under it's own steam.. but it seems to me like you guys take every opportunity you can find to put down BoS, almost to the point where it just seems silly to any outside observer, as if you were in denial about the fact that there is quality in BoS regardless to whether it matches that of CoD (and that of course is subjective and a matter of opinion on both sides of that fence..)  ... as if it's success will somehow make CoD lesser than it is today, which of course is poppycock.

I know this is a weird idea but have you considered the fact that you can have BOTH ?

Yeah revolutionary thought there right...? :dry:

Well I will but only when the spiritual successor to il2:1946 and COD i,e... DCS WWII is released..

I find it much weirder when the next iteration of a game series is a downgrade not an upgrade....  :blink:

LoL .. so you are calling BoS the Jon Snow of IL2 huh ... :P

What about the online slideshow stutters?

I actually can run CoD on the original PC I had when it was released now ... It doesn't run as well as I would have liked.. and I have to turn the settings down .. but it runs better now than it did upon release.. I installed it on that PC just for S&Gs to see how it would run .. and for me that is a pretty good testament to the work of TF. On my current main PC it runs like butter.

I tried BoB II when it was released in 2006. I installed it, flewa few missions, and uninstalled it.

It was quite bugged, graphism were sub-par compaired to IL2. And there was a big complex campaign system with it, that needed hours of manual reading to try to get into.

Maybe it was the summum of immersion for someone playing grand-tactical game, and wanting to immerse while playing Hugh Dowding.... but as a combat flight simulation, it wasn't believable.

I had it too.. It was OK.. but like you I never really got into it.

• Upvote 2

DCS, CloD, ROF and now BoS.

I fly 'm all.

I love 'm all.

Happy camper.

• Upvote 2

make sure your in game volume slider is set to max.

if you need to turn the game sound down if using teamspeak etc, turn the game sound down in windows rather than in game, turning the in game slider down can result in some sounds not playing properly.

All reinstalled and the problem is gone! 
And it work also if the volume is not at the maximum level. 
Thanks to everybody

At least planes in CLOD don't fly like hanging on invisible gums.

I prefer CLOD planes behave in the air beacasue they feel more beliveable to me. Controls work more realistic way to me. I dont have problem with spins - most planes got nice stall buffeting and could be flown at the edge of stall without spin. 109 got nice working slats which work depend of angle of attack not the function of speed like in BOS 109.

True is that ground handling and landings are too simplificated in CLOD and here BOS is better. But what i know there is work to make improve ground handling and landings in CLOD to make it more realistic then now.

Next patch in a few weeks will dramatically improve ground handling!! Easy landings are a think of the past!! ;)

• Upvote 3

If im running it stock downloaded from steam with no mods installed at 30 fps, will I run it better with all of those mods and patches?

There are some optimisations included in the patches, made a big difference for many users including me. But it's difficult to give guarantees.

Really nothing to lose and all to win by installing TF4.0.

Let steam update it first so you get the last official patch. (I think you need this, not sure.)

Edited by Calvamos

[JG2]Fenderalac

One example: With T.40 (need install 1st 3.0 + 3.01) the bug of aircraft disapearing at ~ 2,5 km is fixed.

Sokol1

The title of this should have been "IL2 Cliff of Dover now looks very good". I like the looks as well (especially the 109 cockpit). But after reinstalling it yesterday with that TF mods, i had at least the expectation, that the FM improved as well. But it was, to say it politely, disappointing. The planes land by themselfs (power idle and wait until they have landed) and the most freaky thing are those artificial spins, which they enter without any reason. Some imaginary force suddenly will start spinning them around ... 

I think this was addressed just a few days ago over in the ATAG forums. Are you flying in single player or through the FMB? If so you need to check what your wind velocity is set at. Look at this thread ---> http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8069&highlight=wind'>concerning the Tiger Moth 

If im running it stock downloaded from steam with no mods installed at 30 fps, will I run it better with all of those mods and patches?

You should do 40+ fps with mods on and have a lot better visuals, new clouds, lots of fixed bugs, new plane variants and other cool stuff. There's simple no good reason to play the current nonmoded version.

I play the latest TF version and one of the very early versions.  I just love the lighting in the original release.

I think back then, CLOD had the most realistic lighting I have ever seen in a sim and I don't think we'll get to that level, in a flight sim, in the next 10 years.

Me too.

The ground handling and landing/take off characteristics are what I look forward to most.

Version 5 would be the one I will look forward to the most. I don't spend that much time on the ground, so the handling there isn't such a big issue for me.

Whether the complete rework of AI mentioned earlier is achievable in one hit is debatable though I sincerely hope so. That's what I look forward to most.

LoL .. so you are calling BoS the Jon Snow of IL2 huh ... :P

No... its more like the Joffery, Cersei and Theon Greyjoy :P

Before this escalates, that gold bar under my name <- Proves that while I might hate the fact that just as things started to look good for Ilya's il2 he had the rug pulled out from under him I still support 777 as I believe in competition.. however they have stated that my favourite parts of CoD will not be BoS... (CEM etc...)

I will just have to look at DCS WWII to provide me with what CoD was going to achieve and more by the looks of it :)

I just hope that ED sort out the multiplayer code and get Edge up and running as these are very important for DCS WWII!

Edited by Krupi
  • Upvote 1

Well, for what it's worth.....I do not see it as competition.

I'll purchase them all, install them all, fly them all and love them all.

• Upvote 3

just as things started to look good for Ilya's il2 he had the rug pulled out from under him..

I think it's more a matter of them taking his hands off the controls and saying, c'mon. Youve had your shot at it. It's time to give someone else a go.

(CEM etc... )

The way I see it, (and it is not final in BoS), regarding engine parameters that you have to take into consideration and engine instruments operation - all of this does not seem so different from CloD to BoS, when it comes to the end result, after all...

DCS is another story, that I agree with.

And that golden bar doesn't mean anything, don't make it seem like it's your alibi now.

Edited by Picchio