Fifi

IL2 Cliff of Dover now very good!

I'm interested, too. Always interested in hearing what helps immerse people. If a simplified FMB does come out, I'd quite like to build another campaign or two for Willi Jedermann. For me, bases that looked active and ground activity made big impressions on me.

As for cockpits, being totally ignorant about 3D modelling and so on, what does account for the difference in how they look? I love the BoS Stuka pit - it looks similar to the lovely, highly ornate one in CloD, whereas the 109 one looks far "flatter" to me. The LaGG looks quite simple but i attributed that to the actual nature of the instrument panel - a simple sheet of metal with recessed instruments.

Is it just a question of polygons, is it "painting" technique, or does it come down to style or interpretation?

Wondering if it'll be properly updated like the Steam version? CLOD is $50 on Steam at the moment :(

$50?!?!  I've heard of people getting it for $1.34!

$19.99 is too much for an abandoned game even. No matter how good the TF stuff is.

Jaw-droppingly awesome!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what do you find more immersive so far about BOS? Is there anyway this reason could be implemented in a future patch to benefit players of both CLOD and BOS?

I will take a crack at this as I play both more than a little bit as of late.

First and foremost, I am not starting a "mine is better than yours" thing at all, I play both BoS and CloD about equally these days though I can't say my loyalty is set in any particular camp, as such, I don't mind giving a opinion in this case.

To be blunt, when I fly CloD, I feel like I am fighting it all the time, it is enjoyable but I always feel like it is a struggle. I don't know exactly how to explain what I mean by struggle and I suppose the first thing one might say is "because it is more realistic" but that is not it at all, I play DCS P-51D and don't have the issues I have with CloD.

Overall, it feels like I am not so much fighting the plane but the software itself, everything from the headtracking being kinda wonky in the 109 to the little micro-freezes when AI talks on the radio, it all kinda conspires to pull me out of the sim. On top of all that, I kinda wish they had either gone full on the clickable cockpit or none at all, going halfway is jarring and makes it feel odd, almost incomplete in a way.

Finally, even with the really nice flight model revisions, the planes still feel odd, almost like they lack a sense of weight, the controls don't feel as smooth as a result and it makes flying more difficult than it might be in other sims.

The TF guys can't fix it all, I understand that fully, there are probably issues with the sim that are so deeply coded that it would take a lot more than a mod team to really sort it out but overall, it is really shaping up, I just don't know if I will ever enjoy just flying in it as much as I do other sims, it just lacks a specific feeling of weight that other sims manage to do very well (including BoS).

• Upvote 2

I will take a crack at this as I play both more than a little bit as of late.

First and foremost, I am not starting a "mine is better than yours" thing at all, I play both BoS and CloD about equally these days though I can't say my loyalty is set in any particular camp, as such, I don't mind giving a opinion in this case.

To be blunt, when I fly CloD, I feel like I am fighting it all the time, it is enjoyable but I always feel like it is a struggle. I don't know exactly how to explain what I mean by struggle and I suppose the first thing one might say is "because it is more realistic" but that is not it at all, I play DCS P-51D and don't have the issues I have with CloD.

Overall, it feels like I am not so much fighting the plane but the software itself, everything from the headtracking being kinda wonky in the 109 to the little micro-freezes when AI talks on the radio, it all kinda conspires to pull me out of the sim. On top of all that, I kinda wish they had either gone full on the clickable cockpit or none at all, going halfway is jarring and makes it feel odd, almost incomplete in a way.

Finally, even with the really nice flight model revisions, the planes still feel odd, almost like they lack a sense of weight, the controls don't feel as smooth as a result and it makes flying more difficult than it might be in other sims.

The TF guys can't fix it all, I understand that fully, there are probably issues with the sim that are so deeply coded that it would take a lot more than a mod team to really sort it out but overall, it is really shaping up, I just don't know if I will ever enjoy just flying in it as much as I do other sims, it just lacks a specific feeling of weight that other sims manage to do very well (including BoS).

I agree with fighting the software.  I never had issues even before TF, but many buds have and I've spent countless hours troubleshooting other peoples rigs to make it run.  Having never flown a spit or a P-51 I can't say for sure on the flight models, but trust me I'm working on getting those things checked off.  I've flown many sims from full motion to enclosed bubble, and no sim ever will be exactly correct. Interaction between a set weight and the control inputs is something professional sim developers struggle with as well.  It really comes down to opinion. In terms of game play immersions what else can be improved.

Edited by jarhead2b

S!

Funny bug shown in that video. Spitfire hit the Bf109 in the center fuselage and right wing tip spewed hit smoke and flashes even at situations the bullets would not even be hitting that area :D

S!

I do not want to dissect the video frame by frame, but there are clearly places where you see that no gun is firing even remotely on the right win, tracer or not. In many occasions the Bf109 was within convergence and hit were scoring nicely in center and wing root, but nowhere near wingtip. 

How do you know the chosen convergence settings? Every of the eight guns can have different convergences.

With only two guns loaded with tracers it looks fine to me.

Great video, well done!

• Upvote 2

i hope we get cliffs of dover's pilots.

Cliffs pilots remind me of these guys.

beetlejuice-beetlejuice-the-movie-108150

Classy.

*slow hand clap*

Whatever hero. Nevertheless, that is what they remind me of with the too small heads they have. It is certainly not a similie that I would wish for, but it is one that I am stuck with.

• Upvote 1

Ah, NP :). Must borrow that gif sometime. It's a beaut.

Wish i could edit my previous post, but it doesn't seem possible...

• Upvote 1

Do you have extended clouds?

Documents/Il2.....- MOD/ ConfUser

[MOD]
ExtendCloudsDistance=no  ---------------> change for yes.

Yes CLOD with latest TF mods are actually the best WW2 combat sim for me. It has still some flaws but generally there is no better game for me actually. 

And it is possible to smoth play online with 120 virtual pilots in one server.

Edited by Kwiatek
  • Upvote 1

UseOldHumans is to show on pilots old uniforms - in TF 3.0/4.0 are used new texture in then, but for one It's CLoD the pants of Italian pilot vanished... so missions with these planes dont load.

I'm still not happy with the anti-aliasing, even on 8x it still looks pretty jaggy so I'll look to the NVidia control panel or SweetFX to fix that.

To use (FX) AA in game GUI leave "Application controlled" in Nvidia panel, or if use Nvidia settings disable in game GUI.

The actual British MG sound is close to this (but as usual in games - especially in CloD - dont please Greeks and Trojans). :)

Sokol1

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

Extreme_One;  CLoD with Fifi's BoS SweetFX settings, taken from our DangerDogz practice server a couple of weeks ago.  My apologies for the slight lack of sound at the start (forgot to turn it up full in game) but without the ability to rewind the track a' la BoS and RoF I was kinda loosing the will to live after the thirtieth re-run :wacko:

The Lumasharpening tool in SweetFX really helps in CLoD.

• Upvote 3

I've never had a problem running COD from day one, and prefer flying COD over DCS/BOS.    Its relatively easy to shoot down aircraft in BOS,  which can be appealing for a majority of the genre.  Downing aircraft in COD can be unrealistically hard, IMHO, although the latest TF patch has made it a little easier.  That said I will probably fly DCS and BOS more when the Oculus Rift is implemented.   DCS will have the Oculus implemented in their next patch, and I should have the OR DK2 sometime after July.   BOS will at some point implement the Oculus in the Alpha or the RC, but no word if anyone is interested in the Oculus at Team Fusion.   COD's user base will take a considerable hit if they don't make the move to the future, but they probably have two years before it starts to become a problem. 

As much as I would love to see Oculus support, I'd prefer they keep plugging away at the small annoying bugs first and put a one size fits all patch together first.

I installed CloD and fired it up for the first time in ages.

On my old rig it was basically unplayable, even on the lowest settings the frame rate was dipping to high teens and stuttering and pausing.

So I installed the stock game and loaded it without mods to see how it ran on my new rig.

I maxed all the GFX options and ran the black death track.

Very pleased and quite surprised with an average of 57fps (Vsync On) but not especially happy with the image quality (no AA, long delays loading some textures, and flickering shadows)

Installed the Team Fusion mods up to 4.312 and ran the Black Death track again.

Performance was about the same (average 58fps this time) but the image quality was much improved!

I'm still not happy with the anti-aliasing, even on 8x it still looks pretty jaggy so I'll look to the NVidia control panel or SweetFX to fix that.

The explosion and particle effects are far better.

The tree's shadows don't flicker quite as noticeably.

The textures load far more quickly but there is still a noticeable delay.

There are a couple of negative points for me.

There are occasions where the clouds would pop in. I hope there is a way of eliminating this in future as it's really off-putting.

The guys in the AA gun in the Black Death track are still sat on the floor with their legs poking through the metal structure.

Is that just a fault on the track or are all the AA gun models flawed?

Overall the sounds seem a bit thin, the engines all seem to lack a bit of grunt and the MG from the Spitfire cockpit sounds really strange to me. Perhaps it's accurate?

Other than a quick flight over London I haven't done much else so can't comment on other details.

Anyway, CloD is certainly a different game now than when I last tried it!

There's a good chance I might get my money's worth after all this time.

:)

Looking at your Sig EO,your rig is similar to mine.I run COD maxed out and I can honestly say,its the best Sim I have ever flown for graphics,FM ,DM,pretty much everything.

Unfortunatley(IMHO) the big challenge for people New to COD is there is so much to learn,just to get the game to run well on their rig.That can be a hurdle for pilots that want to Set their Controls,Graphics etc and jump in and start flying.It becomes too much effort for some pilots(which is understandable).

Ive been flying COD since 2011. I have about 900 hrs flying time.Ive probably spent 3 times that time trying this,trying that,Graphics,loadouts,AA, AI,etc etc. I reckon ive watched the Black Death track (using Fraps) a few hundred times.

Thankfully,with the efforts of TF and ATAG ,COD is more stable(actually its very stable) and popular (respectively).

Any new pilot to COD has all the info at ATAG,whether its his Rig,graphics card,his OS,his joystick whatever.Its all there from a lot of helpful people that want to get you Flying.

So EO,there is one Big difference between COD and any other game you play.  COD is abandoned with no support from the people that released it.

Its taken a bunch of commited(should be commited) amateurs to get it to where it is now.

It requires a bit of Digging around(and a decent rig) to get it running well.

When you get in running well on your Rig (which you can),you will be Flying an aircraft in the Battle of Britain...What more can I say to a Simmer ?

Ps,how was my typing ?

~S~

• When I turn my head with TrackIR, my head in-game moves closer to the windshield as well as turning to the side. Feels odd!
  • Can one permanently disable the click-pit, rather than having to press F10 every time?
  • I presume there's no workaround for the loss of Force Feedback if you paid the game to enter a menu?
  • I looked through the settings and couldn't find any keys for cockpit lighting. Am I missing something? I wondered if perhaps they're enabled automatically depending on the time of day?

1 - This indicate a conflict with other view control - Erase keys/buttons HAT assigned to PAN VIEW, SNAP VIEW.

FYI the controls GUI dont have a "Set as default" button for reset controls, but this is possible:

-Using SAVE AS and save actual configuration in place outside Documents\1c Soft Club...

-Deleting the .ini in above folder, the game copy new one from install folder inside Steam directory. It's CLoD way. :)

2 - No

3 - Yes, is need do some crazy maneuvers, are something in ATAG...

4 - In Controls > General , primary and secondary illumination (for default is Shift+L, Ctrl+L and Alt+L for gunsight light - German planes have option to dimm the gunsight light, in other controls), be forewarned that cockpit lamps use 6 v... :)

Sokol1

• Upvote 1

Although the instruments dont light up and the nav lights dont work.

• Upvote 1

Although the instruments dont light up and the nav lights dont work.

These instruments, e.g. Spitfire ones,  dont use only indirect illumination?

They are painted with phosphorescence - radioactive contend - paint...

On some this samples is not visible place for bulb - for internal illumination - in the rear (like old car instruments):

http://www.spitfirespares.com/Instruments%20ASI%20page%202.html

http://spitfiresite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/02of_inst_panel_005-640x480.jpg

See this Bf 110 panel at night, seems that only "Course setter" have internal illumination:

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/NormalerBeleuchtung.jpg

Anyway CloD cockpit illumination, and not only on instruments, is far from sufficient for night flights...  :mellow:

Navigation lights dont work at all...

But thinking, at least servers to avoid these "UFO's" flying around on il-2'46 and il-2 BoS MP servers. ;)

Sokol1

Edited by Sokol1

Does anyone have the links for all the required TF patches? It says I need a prerequisite patch! I go to there website but everything is all jumbled up. All I have is v4.3. I downloaded v4.0 via torrent from them and it's still v4.3. I know there was a 4.0 and 4.1 do I need earlier patches?

Does anyone have the links for all the required TF patches? It says I need a prerequisite patch! I go to there website but everything is all jumbled up. All I have is v4.3. I downloaded v4.0 via torrent from them and it's still v4.3. I know there was a 4.0 and 4.1 do I need earlier patches?

All patches need to go in the order Extreme listed. Cant skip them

• Upvote 1

Awesome game, nice looking and very stable with the 4.3 update and the hot fix. One main reason which draws me to CoD is RAF fighters and theater of war..

Shooting down 109 is easier in BoS even with a LaGG...and my bad bad piloting and gunnery skills reduced me to bomber intercepting in my fav hurricane  :)

5 bucks the digital version on Amazon now.

Sokol1

• Upvote 1

I love and play both sims, but on the whole I find BOS more immersive.  However, these are the things I prefer in CLOD, some of them contrary to others opinions :-)

1. Feeling of weight. I feel power draining when climbing. I can bleed speed by wacking the rudder around. Flying dirty is costly.

2. Balance of control vs. difficulty in flight model. Yes, the birds in CLOD can be challenging to fly. It's hard to gain altitude fast, it's hard to get trimmed well enough to catch enemies. At the same time, I feel I have more control than in BOS. For example, with practice, I can skid the nose onto a target. I think this is directly related to what some have called the "rubber band" effect in BOS. 

For the two reasons above, flying in CLOD feels like I'm flying a machine, not a toy. It's a machine that can be wielded, but is challenging. 

To balance this post out, BOS is the big winner in terms of atmosphere. The world seems alive! Getting behind enemy planes is easier in a way that feels more realistic. 

Again, love and play both, and hope both have bright futures :-)

Initially as CloD came out, i gave it three time a shot .. but deinstalled it every time.

After having tested TeamFusion Patch 3 days ago till now, i must say im quiete impressed (including the flight modelling) !!!

1. Feeling of weight. I feel power draining when climbing. I can bleed speed by wacking the rudder around. Flying dirty is costly.

2. Balance of control vs. difficulty in flight model. Yes, the birds in CLOD can be challenging to fly. It's hard to gain altitude fast, it's hard to get trimmed well enough to catch enemies. At the same time, I feel I have more control than in BOS. For example, with practice, I can skid the nose onto a target. I think this is directly related to what some have called the "rubber band" effect in BOS.

@badracketadam_wagner   complety agree ! "Sluppy" or "dirty" pull pull spray dogfighting with UEber-NO-Drag flaps doesn´t work either.

Edited by A-S

Team Fusion Confirmed Vickers Wellington next playable aircraft! No deadline yet on implementation.

• Upvote 2

To be precise: the Wellington will be the next playable bomber.

I am quite sure that we will see some new fighters before the Wellington.