Sign in to follow this  
JG27_Targ

FW190 First impressions v2.007

The Butcher Bird can fight now as She was meant to.

Picks up energy fast in a dive, 2000M dive and you are close to 850KM an hour.

The roll rate is much more responsive. Helps in a scissor fight Helmet-21.gif

It holds energy much better now and can maintain 520KM in level flight sustained. Max the throttle out and you will do 550KM/HR.

A rotte of 4 pilots that fly the 190 well and employ realistic tactics will whoop tail now. Better run!

Fast test shows what I am talking about.

Also aim assist works now as well. Nice training tool.

Edited by 1./JG54_Lang

I'm with ya.

I joined JG 54 primarily because I'm a die hard 109 pilot and I wanted to learn the 190 after 10+ years of exclusivity flying the 109.

That said I never ever liked the 190 because in every sim up till now it's never really been that much better than contemporary 109s.

However after a few flights in this updated 190 I've got to say it's just better than the 109. Sure the 109 will turn better at low speeds and climb like a rocket-but in about everything else the 190 is superior.

It's just flat out awesome.

The roll rate has gone back to being pretty insane now that it doesn't stall and wobble so quickly.

I still think the 109 is the superior energy fighter, but the 190 is actually able to do something other than hit and run now, which is nice.

• Upvote 1

How much energy lol!

Above 400kph the 190 is in its element. Stable yet wickedly maneuverable.

Above 400 mph the 109 is starting to get a bit sluggish.

The 109 always seems in its fighting element between 300 and 400 kph. The 190 does it all just 100+ kph faster.

I don't think the roll rate or top speed has changed. If it has, it is only a small amount.

What has changed is that the FW-190 is now the vertical, high-speed energy fighter pilots describe. What immediately jumps out is ENERGY.

1. The CLmax correction is instantly noticeable. 

2. The dive acceleration is wonderful.

3. This aircraft may be unbeatable in the vertical.

I'm happy to see the developers did not try to make the FW-190 do anything it could not do - the accelerated and viscous stall is there as it should be - it is the worst sustained turn as it should be.

I also hear a slightly different exhaust note as well as an adjusted thermal model for the engine.

Just came back from a short couple of missions in the QMB to see how it had changed and my what a difference!

I think I'd just be repeating what everyone else was saying so I won't repeat too much but the difference is dramatic and very positive. It doesn't make the FW190 suddenly into a turn fighter but it does let you have some confidence flying the thing and not worrying too much about if its going to do some weird flip, stall, and send you into the ground.

I got the impression the roll rate was a little more snappy. There was no initial delay like before. As far as vertical omg... I can pull the nose up and over in a hammer head at speeds as low as 140 km/h with complete point-ability. I'm pulling rope-a-dopes on so many unsuspecting reds following into a zoom climb.

Anyone try it out at 6km+ yet? It was so unmaneuverable at that alt it was almost useless imho pre-2.007. If you got someone co-alt on your 6 it took so long to turn around you were in a sudden head-on or already missed the guy.

I really like it and will definately be flying it more from now on.

The biggest difference I think this will make is in making the 190 far more accessible for a new pilot. You don't have to spend as many hours perfecting your piloting, because you can now afford to make mistakes and not immediately lose the fight.

I'd still like it to have less of a performance gap at medium altitude, but it is definitely a good fighter now, overall superior to the La-5 IMHO, and the A5 promises to be even better.

I don't think the roll rate is any faster but "more snappy" might be the right way to say it. It does seem to start and stop the roll more precisely... but I can't be certain of that. I feel much more in control of this aircraft and am able to fight pretty effectively now whereas before it was a supreme challenge.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

Yeah it has gone from being a pretty pleasant flyer well inside its flight envelope to being being pleasant, responsive and super-smooth throughout. It can be flown with extreme precision quite easily and the responsive controls at high speeds are unmatched in the sim (I think they were before as well, but using them would land you in an accellerated stall immediately)

It is now arguably the most pilot-friendly fighter in the sim short of the Yak, though obviously nowhere near as easy to use effectively in combat.

I can pull the nose up and over in a hammer head at speeds as low as 140 km/h with complete point-ability. I'm pulling rope-a-dopes on so many unsuspecting reds following into a zoom climb.

This is it - the FW-190 now seems to be the vertical energy fighter it's supposed to be. For the first time, the hammerhead is there and mercy on any fighter trying to follow it in a vertical if it's got a head of steam. You may soon have 4 20mm cannons raining hell down on you, because the FW-190 is now controllable on the "edges" and won't simply try to fall out of the sky.

The unique type of fighting Eric Brown describes "a series of climbs and dives"  - it's there now. If you try to turn fight, you will die just as you deserve in this aircraft - but if you learn high speed, energy conservation and how to fight in the vertical this plane will shine for you.

• Upvote 1

Here is what some of the ru virpilovs are saying about it:

Dudes for Fok thanks !!! Very reminiscent of the old man is now Fok. Stability on a bend and hill. Peresyadu ka I'm back on it at all !!!

Good patch, well done. Fock became predictable when stalling. Though feeling is now where the boundary. And that it is direct so well, generally surprise-time before this was. 

Finally the Fock cease to fall, it's depressing. 

Is this the end of an era? Will this be the last 10+ page Fw 190 thread?

Can't help but getting a bit emotional here.

• Upvote 3

First impression was overall positive. The better handling characteristics and gain in lift are definetly noticeable and allow you to now pull the last critical degrees of lead onto your target you would have been punished for with a horrible stall before. Stall behaviour in general feels more progressive now due to the changes to the center wing section. Doing a clean power off stall at combat weight the aircraft will expose buffeting for a few seconds and only spin around when applying full backpressure on the stick. What worried me a bit was the behaviour on accelerated power on (1.2 ata) stalls, where after applying sudden backpressure would make it point the nose upward, hold it's attitude for a second with buffeting and make it spin round with a slight rocking motion.

Also as for other aircraft there is still the issue of the rudder roll relation.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka

Also as for other aircraft there is still the issue of the rudder roll relation.

Absolutely. We know it's getting fixed, but since they said they wanted to do it for all aircraft at once, I think we'll have to wait a bit. My money's on them doing it in the two month period in late Summer, where there are no scheduled updates.

Finally the FW holds its energy like it did in RL (all accounts we can find relate to this). This (along with the superb roll rate and firepower) was probably its biggest strenght in doghfight.....Also it had that jabo role which was, ofcourse, much more appreciated in the war than it is in virtual skies...

Edited by blackram

Not having played in over a year I'm not really in any position to make an accurate assessment, (cos I'm as rusty as hell) but based on the few QMB flights I've made it certainly seems to be an improvement.  Of course, I've been so emotionally scared by the previous iteration I may just be experiencing some form of false-consciousness.  I just don't know anymore......

Just a quick note on the FW.  Most of us who flew the thing regularly started being very careful with the inputs, to the point where we could be quite effective in it.  That smoothness coupled with the FM changes will probably make the changes seem greater than they are.

I very much like it, especially the acceleration.  The 110G2 is also very very nice.

von Tom

Just a quick note on the FW. Most of us who flew the thing regularly started being very careful with the inputs, to the point where we could be quite effective in it. That smoothness coupled with the FM changes will probably make the changes seem greater than they are.

I haven't flown the Fw 190 very often, and I find the change very noticable. It is not quite a new aircraft, more like it has been set loose after having one hand tied behind its back the whole time.

For a new pilot it is also far far easier to get into now.

First positive impressions. I took a quick flight in BERLOGA.

-much easier to fly even for a beginner

-The increase in AoA is incredible

-continues to be an energy plane, but much more dangerous

-very good your instantaneous curve (45-50 degrees). You can point your nose more time to the target

-Diving speed seems to be better

- even with a yak in six, you can take the enemy to dance to a companion to help you

-Hope-a-dope much more controllable. Red unsuspecting will take 4x20 mm

For now I'm flying low. Challenge now is to find the limete of the new fw. I still want to test races with reds in level flight at different altitudes.

I was already forgetting. I found the fw190, at high speeds, its lift lost efficiency in this new FM and compared to the old one. Has anyone noticed this?

sorry for English

• Upvote 1

Kurt Tank finally can sleep peaceful, thx dev team end community

Edited by 150GCT_Pan
  • Upvote 1

First positive impressions. I took a quick flight in BERLOGA.

-much easier to fly even for a beginner

-The increase in AoA is incredible

-continues to be an energy plane, but much more dangerous

-very good your instantaneous curve (45-50 degrees). You can point your nose more time to the target

-Diving speed seems to be better

- even with a yak in six, you can take the enemy to dance to a companion to help you

-Hope-a-dope much more controllable. Red unsuspecting will take 4x20 mm

For now I'm flying low. Challenge now is to find the limete of the new fw. I still want to test races with reds in level flight at different altitudes.

I was already forgetting. I found the fw190, at high speeds, its lift lost efficiency in this new FM and compared to the old one. Has anyone noticed this?

sorry for English

I'm in, would love to compare it's high Speed Climb to Yak-1 and La-5

She still needs a careful hand. Burn your energy recklessly and you'll be up shit creek without a paddle as before. Excels in all other cases, still 109 for the climb alone and high alt, but prefer the 190 in all other circumstances.

I spent a good hour having some trouble, thought they patched out the roll/rudder behaviour and that was creating some issues. Nope, my pedals weren't plugged in. Started doing some 1 v 3s against the AI in QMB with no issue after that.

Edited by LittleJP

before the patch: max speed at airstart 300m, autolevel on, 1200am, stalingrad summer: max speed is 543km/h, now is 552km/h, stabilizer -60

well I haven't tried myself the FW, I am a hardcore fan of this plane, waiting for more than 10 years for a sim that finally represent the real butcherbird, every single game did it wrong stating with the first Il-2 where the FW was really bad, slow, heavy, lack of energy retention, and some guys in the modding community fixed it partially. Cant wait to test it today and see whats going on with this plane, I know it more than anyone think that's why I don't stall in it, because in every game was waaaaaaaay to bad represented. So I will notice instantly if something is wrong or not, but looks like the feedback is positive after all.  I hope we don't have this problems in the future anymore with the incoming FW and some day use the Dora and TA. S!

You can still stall it, but it's present in a fashion that Eric Brown wrote. Nice snap stall that can work as a last ditch to get someone off your six. Once you get past 450 km/h you'd be hard pressed to stall it from the elevators alone.

It took me all of 10 minutes behind the stick in the "new" FW to work out the limits and get used to them - something I couldn't do in 10 hours with the old FM - since then I've hardly stalled at all and not gone into a spin even once except on purpose.

• Upvote 1

It took me all of 10 minutes behind the stick in the "new" FW to work out the limits and get used to them - something I couldn't do in 10 hours with the old FM - since then I've hardly stalled at all and not gone into a spin even once except on purpose.

Same here. I just feel like the aircraft is so much more communicative and that I'm in control of what it is doing. Phenomenal work on this. I'm more excited than ever for the A-5 model.

• Upvote 1

Im sorry I need to praise again our devs for doing this. They bought me forever now. And proved they care about the product they sell and they are also a true hardcore sim fans. Despite my relatively bad economical situation (to be more precise bad economical situation in my country) Im now ready to stretch and buy BOK. They deserve such stretch from their customers (stretch for some of us, to be clear).

Edited by blackram
  • Upvote 2

The 190 is a real treat now but I'm actually worse with it with the "stable" FM than the floppy-woppy-over-stally FM.

Edited by 4./JG52_Space_Ghost

My only Bias was against the 190 Crowd for their absolutely Disgusting and Vile behaviour. I agreed that FM Changes would be Nice, but the Temper Tantrums thrown were just ridiculous. The P-40 Threads are far more Interesting and Civilized (At least now after the Ban of some people) and it requires the same kind of love, with a Clmax increase.

• Upvote 1

At least for me right now there is not much i could whine about.
And even if there was I wouldnt have the time to do so.
So lets just be happyyyyyy:)

• Upvote 1

Might be time to dust off BOS. 

I just hope all the "Luftwhiner" energy can be turned into pushing the Devs to give us a Ju87D-5 :)

How does she handle with the extra mgff? I haven't had a chance to try it with 4 cannons yet, wondering if the extra firepower really changes it as much now.

I mostly fly it with MGFF now. Performance difference is not that huge and since you can easily pull lead now, you can really bring all guns to bear and shred up targets very quickly and move over to the next.

• Upvote 1

I mostly fly it with MGFF now. Performance difference is not that huge and since you can easily pull lead now, you can really bring all guns to bear and shred up targets very quickly and move over to the next.

That's what I'd suggest too. It works also quite well in the Mig-3 with gunpods.