Photo

Opposing Fleets at Midway

257 replies to this topic

#241 Dufalator

Dufalator
  • Founder

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:41

I cant wait!!!! This is going to be grrrrrreat! Thank you IL-2 development group!!!!!!!

In fact, Because I now know that you are working on this, today I am going to purchase BOK as a show of support.

#242 BorysVorobyov

BorysVorobyov

Posted 08 May 2017 - 20:36

The modelers will not begin work on the Midway models until all the modeling for Kuban is done, and they're hardly there yet. :salute:

I know but it would be pretty awesome to give some kind of little teaser. Maybe even a "box art" like in the store for BoS/M/K and collector planes have. Something to get us all worked up in a frenzy. I know Jason is a big fan of Pacific and he seems to also be pretty hyped about it so I wouldn't be surprised if he put out some kind of small sneak peeks in the time leading up to an official announcement.
Signature.jpg

#243 -=PHX=-Keko_

-=PHX=-Keko_

Posted 24 May 2017 - 19:05

Here you can find some information:   II World war database

http://ww2db.com/bat...php?battle_id=6

#244 Reid

Reid

Posted 25 May 2017 - 17:24

That is a great direction, I can't wait to see this develop further. On that note, I actually have extensive blueprints of ships as well as lots of other reference material mostly nautical. I'd love to assist as much as I can. 

#245 Takuya_liang

Takuya_liang

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:24

People all around me who play flight sims,everybody cant wait for this big hit,It's must be a big bomb of flight sim world!! and I'll purchase  the early accese of "Midway "(in November this year?)
Thanks for  development group!!

#246 IV/JG51_Razer

IV/JG51_Razer
  • Founder

Posted 25 June 2017 - 18:53

After Midway, the most multiplayer friendly and balanced campaign would have to be centered around the Guadalcanal and Solomon Islands campaigns. The next two major carrier vs, carrier battles took place at this time and the variety of a/c and missions possible during the Allies' advance up the Solomon chain towards Rabaul makes this the most attractive theater to model IMHO. After that, things get either too boring or too lop sided in favor of the Allies from a gamer's perspective I believe.

IV/JG51_Razor

#247 Jade_Monkey

Jade_Monkey
  • Founder

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:16

After Midway, the most multiplayer friendly and balanced campaign would have to be centered around the Guadalcanal and Solomon Islands campaigns. The next two major carrier vs, carrier battles took place at this time and the variety of a/c and missions possible during the Allies' advance up the Solomon chain towards Rabaul makes this the most attractive theater to model IMHO. After that, things get either too boring or too lop sided in favor of the Allies from a gamer's perspective I believe.

Remember that up until now the pattern has been to release a set of 10 scenario relevant planes for each theater.

I don't know much about the planes in the pacific, but were the planes for Guadalcanal different enough to warrant 10 new planes?

That's probably a very important factor in the decision process for the next theater.

i7 7700k  | GTX 1080 Ti |   16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4  |  LG 34UM95 3440x1440 | HTC Vive | TrackIR 5  |  Saitek X-55 HOTAS  |  MFG Crosswind graphite pedals

#248 Gambit21

Gambit21
  • Tester

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:57

Remember that up until now the pattern has been to release a set of 10 scenario relevant planes for each theater.
I don't know much about the planes in the pacific, but were the planes for Guadalcanal different enough to warrant 10 new planes?
That's probably a very important factor in the decision process for the next theater.

The plane set is virtually identical for early Solomons/Battle of Guadalcanal - which is good.
A Betty and a few float planes and we're golden. Literally the same plane set for the most part aside from those two
items. (we have the P-39 already - close enough to the version used at Henderson)

Add the Corsair and P-38 and we're good for the drive up the Slot toward Rabaul.

So mainly we'll need the map. Solomons might be best as a DLC/Add-on all things considered.
That's a matter for later though after Okinawa. First we have to get to Midway - nothing is promised at this point.

Edited by Gambit21, 26 June 2017 - 14:57.

Posted Image Coming soon...Warrant Officer 'Yamaha Kawasaki' on the loose again! Posted Image

#249 Mesha44

Mesha44

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:22

Assuming that Midway will be mostly US Navy aircraft, Guadalcanal could add the Army aircraft to the mix.

There are also a number of other maps that fit the Midway timeframe, Wake, the Aleutians, Coral Sea.  The same aircraft mix could be used for any of those and creating a small island like Midway or Wake is nothing line Moscow or Stalingrad maps. 

#250 =LD=Hiromachi

=LD=Hiromachi
  • Tester

Posted 26 June 2017 - 14:54

Guadalcanal was a Navy affair, there was only one time when Army raid happened over it and you would see Ki-43s over there. If you want Army aircraft you need New Guinea. 

PqJg4n.jpg My dream : Il-2 Battle for New Guinea  - Make it happen 1CGS ! si6AuQ.png

#251 Gambit21

Gambit21
  • Tester

Posted 26 June 2017 - 15:29

Watched a Hellcat fly around this past Saturday, along with a Corair and Zeke.
Can't wait to take those aircraft up at Okinawa.

That Hellcat sounds amazing during those fly-bys.
Posted Image Coming soon...Warrant Officer 'Yamaha Kawasaki' on the loose again! Posted Image

#252 ShamrockOneFive

ShamrockOneFive
  • Founder

Posted 05 July 2017 - 19:45

It might be doable... need to find my notes. We have everything from the A6M3 Model 32/22 and G4M Betty bombers to Merlin powered P-40F to the P-38, F4U-1 and 1A Corsairs. There would be considerable overlap with the Midway planeset but that might be ok because it would be an opportunity to deepen the aircraft set. Sort of like what Moscow/Stalingrad/Kuban do for each other.

The only trouble is size. It's a big area to model even Guadalcanal to Bougainville.

#253 HBPencil

HBPencil

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:01

It might be doable... need to find my notes. We have everything from the A6M3 Model 32/22 and G4M Betty bombers to Merlin powered P-40F to the P-38, F4U-1 and 1A Corsairs. There would be considerable overlap with the Midway planeset but that might be ok because it would be an opportunity to deepen the aircraft set. Sort of like what Moscow/Stalingrad/Kuban do for each other.

The only trouble is size. It's a big area to model even Guadalcanal to Bougainville.

I'm a fan of the Solomon Islands theatre myself, part of its appeal being the useful plane set. But with the map size, could the devs do a scaled down map? The one in '46 is scaled down (I don't remember by how much) yet it seems to work well.

#254 ShamrockOneFive

ShamrockOneFive
  • Founder

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:06

I'm a fan of the Solomon Islands theatre myself, part of its appeal being the useful plane set. But with the map size, could the devs do a scaled down map? The one in '46 is scaled down (I don't remember by how much) yet it seems to work well.

Their policy has been, so far anyways, to do 1:1 with real life.

Even with the scaled down Solomons it was still freaking huge. I tried to ding a semi-historically accurate Black Sheep and RNZAF P-40 campaign and the flight times were immense most of the time. The only fun ones were defending Henderson from Japanese attack. Once you started island hopping there were long flights supporting the troops before you'd jump to the next base and then defend that for a bit. I ended up not releasing any of that work because it was just too tedious.

I love the planeset too! Don't get me wrong. Definitely an interesting scenario.

#255 HBPencil

HBPencil

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:17

Their policy has been, so far anyways, to do 1:1 with real life.

Even with the scaled down Solomons it was still freaking huge. I tried to ding a semi-historically accurate Black Sheep and RNZAF P-40 campaign and the flight times were immense most of the time. The only fun ones were defending Henderson from Japanese attack. Once you started island hopping there were long flights supporting the troops before you'd jump to the next base and then defend that for a bit. I ended up not releasing any of that work because it was just too tedious.

I love the planeset too! Don't get me wrong. Definitely an interesting scenario.

Ahhh, fair enough.
I know what you mean about the length of the missions on the '46 map, but I'm the kind of guy who uses the autopilot and time scale to get through the boring bits ;)

#256 ShamrockOneFive

ShamrockOneFive
  • Founder

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:41

Ahhh, fair enough.
I know what you mean about the length of the missions on the '46 map, but I'm the kind of guy who uses the autopilot and time scale to get through the boring bits ;)

Even with 16x I felt it was slow :)

In the meantime... I gave the aircraft set for Solomons some serious thought and its tough. For the Allies there's lots of potential and possibility but for the Japanese there isn't as much.

For Japan I was kind of hoping the D4Y would be online by this point but it was only in recon roles and not as a strike aircraft.

Japan in this area is using a mix of A6M2-21, A6M3-32 and A6M3-22s depending on the unit, time, date, etc.  For strike aircraft its the B5N2 and D3A1 (there may have been some D3A2s) and the G3M and G4M twin engined bombers mostly from Rabaul or nearer at Ballale. There were some Ki-43-Is detached to Ballale as well for a mission against Henderson. That's kind of it for the Japanese in this area as far as combat aircraft are concerned.

For the Allies there's a lot. P-38, P-39, P-40, F4F-4, F4U (-1 and -1A), TBF, SBD, B-25, B-26 (and B-24 and B-17 later as Henderson Complex got bigger).

The trouble for Pacific scenarios is that the distances are huge. There are ways around that but its tough. The distance between the Blacksheep F4U Corsair base on Vella Lavella to the closest Japanese airbase at Ballale is 137km. That's the closest one. It's 530km between Henderson Complex and the same Japanese airbase. Its incredible really!

Edited by ShamrockOneFive, 06 July 2017 - 04:46.

#257 Gambit21

Gambit21
  • Tester

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:45

R-Area Air Force - Float planes.

Japan has plenty - Zeke, Betty, Rufe, Val...

Dare I say...Emily?  :o:

#258 IV/JG51_Razer

IV/JG51_Razer
  • Founder

Posted 27 August 2017 - 16:40

This has gotten me very excited about the BoX series! I am really looking forward to this progressing into the Pacific Theater of Operations. :salute:

IV/JG51_Razor

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users