Photo

JU 88 take off and taxi

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Knolly

Knolly

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:39

Hi all,

I'm just starting to fly the 88 and I'm struggling with taxiing and take off, the thing seems to want to spin in both directions if you go off centre line even a little bit. I started off flying the 110 and have gotten pretty good at taxi and take off but the 88 seems a different beast altogether. I have watched a few videos on YouTube but I'm still having issues.

Is differential thrust a lot more important in the 88? I only have one throttle on my joystick so tend to change the engines together is there a good key mapping solution to help with this?

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Zippy-do-dar

Zippy-do-dar

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:25

I only have one throttle on my joystick so tend to change the engines together is there a good key mapping solution to help with this?

0= engines on/off

1= control on/off (left engine in cockpit view)

2=control on/off right engine

so i go 0 then select 1 adjust throttle (keep brakes on) then press 0 to select all engines and the throttles will be fixed with the difference in position. I take off like this in the 110 so the after take off i go 0 select 1 set throttle then select 2 and

it should bring throttle of number 2 engine in line

#3 Knolly

Knolly

Posted 28 January 2017 - 17:55

Thanks I will give that a try

#4 =R4T=Sshadow14

=R4T=Sshadow14

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:47

What??

No need to mess around with throttle..

Just be gentle.

Start plane Leave prop rpm below 25%
The taxi like normal in any other german plane use the diff brakes and rudders .
same with bf110 no need to mess with props or pitch just start and taxi SLOW AND GENTLY

x6dnyTg.jpgZNAqgaZ.jpg

/CPU: FX8350 /GPU: GTX780SOC /RAM: 16GB@1875mhz /JOYSTICK: Saitek X-55 Hotas /PEDALS: Logitech Driving Force EX

#5 ShamrockOneFive

ShamrockOneFive
  • Founder

Posted 29 January 2017 - 19:03

How have you guys got your differential brakes mapped? I'm using a single button which can be challenging.

#6 =R4T=Sshadow14

=R4T=Sshadow14

Posted 30 January 2017 - 00:23

yes map all 3 by default they are mapped.

but on the back of my hotas is have them mapped as pedals dont have toe brakes.
in many planes they are important for the simplest of ground procs

x6dnyTg.jpgZNAqgaZ.jpg

/CPU: FX8350 /GPU: GTX780SOC /RAM: 16GB@1875mhz /JOYSTICK: Saitek X-55 Hotas /PEDALS: Logitech Driving Force EX

#7 71st_AH_Scojo

71st_AH_Scojo

Posted 31 January 2017 - 13:40

Here's what I do to get this sucker off the ground without turning it into a sliding boneyard:

Taxiing:

1) Taxi as slow as I can

2) Rely entirely on brakes during taxi

3) I switch to nose gunner view once I'm on the taxi pathway

Takeoff:

1) Stay in nose gunner view

2) SLOWLY increase throttle using rudder and brakes to keep her lined up (it'll be all brakes at first, but you'll feel the rudder slowly take hold soon)

3) Once the plane is rolling at a good speed and I have decent rudder authority, I quit using brakes

4) I give myself the full length of the runway before lifting off the ground(the plane comes up on two wheels very nicely and without a fully slammed weight, it may actually get into the air itself if you're using flaps)

5) Reduce engine throttle and rpm so you're in climb mode

6) If using flaps, purposefully put it in a shallow and steady climb. Get your speed up and get a good height before raising flaps

7) Upon raising flaps, pull that stick back until you cant feel your man bits anymore so you don't hit the ground

8) Reassure your nose gunner that the scary dip towards the trees was all a part of the plan without letting him see the sweat marks all over your uniform

Edited by 71st_AH_Scojo, 31 January 2017 - 13:43.

Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman.                                           — Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, GAF

I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game.      — Sir Harry Broadhurst, RAF, 12 victories WWII

Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder.                                                                                                                                                    — Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker, USAS

#8 F/JG300_Gruber

F/JG300_Gruber

Posted 31 January 2017 - 18:40

Scojo's advices are good.

For taxiing, the slower the better. A ground crew should be able to follow you by jogging next to your plane. Faster is too fast.

Direction during taxiing is made with brakes. The 88 was known to have good brakes and an useless rudder on the ground. This is pretty well modeled in the game. 

On my own take off procedure :

I always use flaps for take off.

I set the elevator trim between 80 and 100% depending on weight and temperature

I open the throttle not too quickly, but not too slowly either. There is some kind of "soft spot" where when you increase throttle at the right speed, the plane almost go straight by itself needing very few correction.

I push reasonably on the yoke to raise the tail. Once the tail is raised, I use the rudder to correct the trajectory, but as long as the tailwheel is on the ground I rely almost exclusively on the brakes.

Take off speed is 200km/h. Sometimes I'm taking off sooner if lightly loaded but 180km/h is the bare minimum for the plane.

#9 71st_AH_Scojo

71st_AH_Scojo

Posted 31 January 2017 - 18:51

I open the throttle not too quickly, but not too slowly either. There is some kind of "soft spot" where when you increase throttle at the right speed, the plane almost go straight by itself needing very few correction.

I'd be interested in knowing how many "mississippis"(seconds) you count going from 0% throttle to 100% throttle. I don't think I've found the sweet spot yet as I still have to heavily rely on wheel brakes almost until my tail goes up in the air

Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman.                                           — Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, GAF

I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game.      — Sir Harry Broadhurst, RAF, 12 victories WWII

Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder.                                                                                                                                                    — Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker, USAS

#10 =R4T=Sshadow14

=R4T=Sshadow14

Posted 31 January 2017 - 20:15

no need to use gunner view.. just move cockpit camera forward and to the left then you have a clear enough view ahead of cockpit to taxi and line up on targets

RE

I'd be interested in knowing how many "mississippis"(seconds) you count going from 0% throttle to 100% throttle. I don't think I've found the sweet spot yet as I still have to heavily rely on wheel brakes almost until my tail goes up in the air

RESET the cruise trims then i need minimal rudder input and a little brake usage to keep straight then i raise the tail @ 75-125kph
the Rotate @ 200-250kph..

Best in this plane is a Zero flaps take off if you know how.

x6dnyTg.jpgZNAqgaZ.jpg

#11 SharpeXB

SharpeXB
  • Founder

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:45

I had some trouble on takeoff until I realized I was just not holding the tail down long enough. Keep the stick full back until you reach a decent speed for the rudder to become effective.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K o.c.@4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | 2x EVGA GTX TITAN X SC ACX 2.0 12GB SLI | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28” Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

#12 =R4T=Sshadow14

=R4T=Sshadow14

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:05

Just add power slower and it goes straight..

ALSO TAXI WITH LESS THAN 25% PROP RPM.
Like i said above

x6dnyTg.jpgZNAqgaZ.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users