Photo

axis controls should "snap" to stops when available

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 19//Moach

19//Moach

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:32

it struck me that a number of commonly axis-bound inputs are not continuously adjustable controls in the cockpit itself on several aircraft

for instance, take the mixture handle on the p40 -- it really has only four positions in which it should be set, whereas the game allows it to move freely, in direct relation to the input axis... 

this can become distracting for the pilot, as it isn't clear how the operation thresholds are defined, or simply because it doesn't "feel right" that the handle be out of the correct position

I personally find myself quite often "over-adjusting" those controls, somewhat subconsciously, so that they sit where they should and not somewhere else in between stops - and then I wonder what the boundaries are, and feel quite ill-at-ease with having such a fuzzy notion of the effect of my controls

I then suggest that to remove any such guessing, or even if just for realism's sake - this kind of control should ideally "round out" to the nearest stop as the axis is moved

Edited by 19.GIAP//Moach, 25 January 2017 - 02:34.

This reminds me of the time when I once had built a Time Machine...  uh, no wait - that hasn't happened yet

#2 6./ZG26_Asgar

6./ZG26_Asgar
  • Founder

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:48

it doesn't matter, for example the auto rich position, is everything above 50/51%. you don't have to be on the label  ;)

#3 =BMAD=ZdrytchX

=BMAD=ZdrytchX

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:34

It is kinda hard to get the maximum power without using WEP on many german aircraft though for me, because my throttle is suppodiyly like 128 steps but skips every 2 steps due to its [Edited] detection strip or something.

Edited by Bearcat, 26 January 2017 - 15:50.

Is it possible to fix the IL-2 freezing issue upon window change?
Tactical Air War missions for il2missionplanner.com

#4 SharpeXB

SharpeXB
  • Founder

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:03

Rise of Flight does this on the Neiuport 28 throttle, which only has a few set positions. So it should be doable.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K o.c.@4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | 2x EVGA GTX TITAN X SC ACX 2.0 12GB SLI | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28” Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

#5 Matt

Matt
  • Founder

Posted 26 January 2017 - 16:15

The mixture lever did not have fixed positions on the P-40 though. You could set it between lean and rich just like you can do in BoS.

i5-4670k - GTX 970 - 8GB DDR3 - Windows 10 - VKB Gladiator Pro + Warthog grip - TM Warthog throttle - VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV - PC360 - TrackIR5 - Monster Tech table mounts

#6 19//Moach

19//Moach

Posted 27 January 2017 - 22:29

The mixture lever did not have fixed positions on the P-40 though. You could set it between lean and rich just like you can do in BoS.

any sources to back that up?

doesn't seem like it's meant to be anywhere in between - the labels clearly read "auto rich" and "auto lean" -- that in no way implies that any half-way point should be used

in fact, here's a pretty reliable source to claim the contrary:   video of mixture lever operation on the extremely detailed A2A P40 for FSX

notice how the handle "snaps" into the correct position after the mouse button is released - this is very well modelled on A2A warbirds, of which I own a small yet wonderful set 

surely enough, it is physically possible to have the lever anywhere along the way for I reckon it has a spring loaded catch to the stops -- but the plane's manual clearly states it has four positions

Edited by 19.GIAP//Moach, 27 January 2017 - 22:29.

This reminds me of the time when I once had built a Time Machine...  uh, no wait - that hasn't happened yet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users