Sturmnoob

Wings Over the Reich - WWII Flight Sim - New website is up

1 minute ago, Tuesday said:

They found a fix for it - was sent to me this morning.  

Very happy!

Oh! Nice! If it works I will pull the trigger

Just now, LF_ManuV said:

Oh! Nice! If it works I will pull the trigger

It does work, I can send it to you when I get home from work today!

Just now, Tuesday said:

It does work, I can send it to you when I get home from work today!

Nice! Thank you! 

Great news. One thing I will say about OBD..they care. They'll continue bug testing and will absolutely always try to help people with their various issues. They patch quick and often if required. And even though there's only 2 of them they'll work around the clock to improve this sim

Edited by Adger
  • Thanks 1

One thing I've just found is that setting the CFS3 and Wotr application file properties to 'disable visual themes' and 'disable desktop composition' seem to have made things smoother, as listed in their large FAQ document. I still get some moments where performance crashes but overall it is now playable enough considering the joy that is the combat in it.

6 hours ago, Adger said:

Will any of the posts in this thread here help any of you guys? Especially regarding joystick\pedals

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/390/1/wings-over-the-reich-technical-issues

Thanks a lot for posting this link.

Flew my first career mission today when I realised, my toe brakes were inverted.

Already found a solution among the topics which I'll give a try tomorrow :)

• Upvote 1

They call it released, but really it is an early access release as of now.

There's plenty of content already, but all the AI planes (Spit, Stuka, 110, bombers, etc.) are to be flyable before Phase 2 begins. And it is a single purchase system, you receive all phases and updates into the future.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Adger said:

Great news. One thing I will say about OBD..they care. They'll continue bug testing and will absolutely always try to help people with their various issues. They patch quick and often if required. And even though there's only 2 of them they'll work around the clock to improve this sim

Absolutely.  Cannot stress how fantastic they have been trying to figure out the issue with the Gladiator.  I am seriously impressed by the effort they put into it (especially as they found the solution) - very cool as a customer.

10 hours ago, LF_ManuV said:

Nice! Thank you! 

Sent to you on Discord.

15 hours ago, Lythronax said:

There's plenty of content already, but all the AI planes (Spit, Stuka, 110, bombers, etc.) are to be flyable before Phase 2 begins. And it is a single purchase system, you receive all phases and updates into the future.

Are you sure about that single purchase system? I think what you get for your $35 is what it says i.e. a flyable Hurricane and E-4. If there was going to additional flyables coming online later as part of that price I think they would've said?

27 minutes ago, OrLoK said:

VR support?

Nope. It's DX9 currently so no VR. It's possible DX11 may come in the future. There is a greyed out option in the settings. But I haven't seen any firm promise or date.

I bought it a couple of days ago and it really needs DX11 - even people with beefy rigs have to lower settings or framerates drop to unacceptable levels.  

46 minutes ago, Tektolnes said:

Nope. It's DX9 currently so no VR. It's possible DX11 may come in the future. There is a greyed out option in the settings. But I haven't seen any firm promise or date.

I bought it a couple of days ago and it really needs DX11 - even people with beefy rigs have to lower settings or framerates drop to unacceptable levels.  

oh well!

I wish them all the best but think I'll stick with Box.

:)

Hopefully Ankor can do his magic and DX11 is a future feature.

I also believe that phase 1 $34.99 is what you get now for the price,any extra phases aircraft etc will be sold separately (it's only my guess though) I knew what I was getting for the money (from the features page)and IMO the Ai is worth most of that cost alone..it'd cost me more than this for a family meal out. Add in the campaign and the flyables/Ai craft and to me personally it was a no brainier.

Only you guys/gals personally know what's "worth " it or not..I certainly think I've already had my money's worth already,and I've only just scratched the surface of this sim. If like the BOX series I continue to like what's been offered then il certainly continue to support both studios

Edited by Adger
  • Upvote 1

:(

Flew my second sortie - everything went fine.

Until I got dragged into a dogfight which I was able to win - unfortunately my squadron was gone by the time because somehow I must have gotten separated from them.

So I went back home as well - near the french coast I was jumped by a bandit although I´ve constantly checked my surroundings.

I managed to get away but my engine died soon after and I was too low to bail out. The pilot died after watering (I think it isn´t really implemented).

The campaign offers a real nice atmosphere - something I haven´t experienced yet :)

Wow! Finally think I have my setup sorted, just had a bomber attack mission and ensuing dogfight that didn't have frame rate crashes. It took a lot of fiddling to get here but if it keeps at this level I shall be more than happy. Just flew an amazing mission, was shot down but hey, still alive.  adore the feel of the combat, and this time was high enough altitude to hear the breathing :)

Most importantly after flying one mission, I want to fly again.

The following was merged:

What this game gives to me is the ability to see the other fighters, and especially to track them even when against the ground. I'm finding I'm actually in control of my maneuvers because of it. Swirling around against a 109 in a scissors is just such joy, and in the height of the action it just looks and feels amazing.

Edited by Karamazov
  • Upvote 2

First confirmed kill awarded, two rejected... Ok one of those was pushing my luck but hey, that is historical immersion ;)

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2018 at 9:09 PM, BB5000 said:

The control mapping worked fine until I plugged in my new Ravcore Javelin (Gladiator clone). The mapping tool recognizes all buttons and axes, but in-game most buttons won't work..It only maps "Fire" to one of the flap buttons on the joystick base. So I'll guess that I have to pass on WOTR.

An update with the Javelin issue in WOFF(and most likely the same issue discovered in WOTR):

The buttons were recognized in the WOFFKeys mapping utility but not in the game..this was the same problem that was solved for the VKB Gladiator. The configuration file , WOFFKEYS.XCA , contained an extra trailing space " " character in the Javelin heading. Removing this " " and saving the file solved the problem  !

The only issue in WOFF now is that I need to add the " " back into the WOFFKEYS.XCA if I want to modify any key/axis mapping...not a big issue really.

4 hours ago, BB5000 said:

An update with the Javelin issue in WOFF(and most likely the same issue discovered in WOTR):

The buttons were recognized in the WOFFKeys mapping utility but not in the game..this was the same problem that was solved for the VKB Gladiator. The configuration file , WOFFKEYS.XCA , contained an extra trailing space " " character in the Javelin heading. Removing this " " and saving the file solved the problem  !

The only issue in WOFF now is that I need to add the " " back into the WOFFKEYS.XCA if I want to modify any key/axis mapping...not a big issue really.

There is a fix for this, however I am not sure when it will be uploaded to the website (pretty soon judging by how quickly they work!)

Edit: And here is their word

The next patch will have a new WOTRKeys tool that will auto remove that space for you. The space is provided to windows by the joystick when it queries it, and WOTR Function Binding tool (WOTRKeys.exe) also correctly sees it. Runtime doesn't seem to like it.
Anyway for the moment manually remove the space at the end (do not remove the ").

The new WOTRKeys tool allows you to change the bindings yourself.

Edited by Tuesday

There,ll be bluebirds over,the white cliffs of Dover

I'll never forget the people I met
Braving those angry skies
I remember well as the shadows fell
The light of hope in their eyes

Shot09-13-18-00-15-45.thumb.jpg.e0a8d5bc26ccbbaa22f661bae4935a23.jpg

Shot09-13-18-01-12-41.jpg

Shot09-13-18-01-00-03.jpg

1 hour ago, Alexmarine28 said:

Just to know: Anyone is having problems running the game on Win10?

Have you tried posting your issue on the official forum Alexmarine? Also if you send your logs to their support they'll have a look. Their pretty quick getting back

I've found I've come to enjoy the graphics more than I expected, especially as I first thought it was a real weak point. Yes the structure of clouds is quite basic up close, but so much of the time it just works well enough. The change between weather also is as sudden and clunky as in FSX, but again seems to have become less of an issue.

Even the London map, with reduced detail settings, I just accept it, it doesn't detract any more.

It's funny how the psychology of playing it has changed the perception.

If you buy this game, don't be put off by performance and the aged graphics on first impressions, I've found both of these can be overcome.

3 hours ago, Alexmarine28 said:

Just to know: Anyone is having problems running the game on Win10?

Installation went well for me without any issues in Win10.

Game itself also runs without any problems.

Future Plans
-------------------

Further to requests for more information, although most is already stated on the website, we have decide to release a little more information on the future plans 
for those people anxious to know before purchasing WOTR.

It is planned to release expansions or add-ons that can be purchased for ‘WOTR’ and these will move the war to Europe. 
The expansions will eventually culminate in the extensive devastation of Europe by the day and night bombing raids over the German ‘Reich’. 

In the shorter term we also plan to add aircraft together with other content additions such as new airfields, grounds objects and so on in the form of purchasable DLC, 
- starting with additional aircraft for WOTR Phase 1 Battle of Britain.

The aircraft planned for first add-on is a flyable Spitfire MKIa. All details TBC and subject to change.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4438534/wings-over-the-reich-news-update#Post4438534

For those who were asking earlier.

On 9/13/2018 at 1:53 PM, 9./JG27golani79 said:

Installation went well for me without any issues in Win10.

Game itself also runs without any problems.

Same here  :)

I finally got the DFC my ego craved so much,...

...posthumously.

Gutted. Crashed on landing during my first night mission, the first mission after having been seriously injured and hospitalised for 18 days when on the previous mission we were torn apart in seconds by 109s.

Damn this war.

10 confirmed kills too.

I need a moment.

Tempted by this, so have re-installed WOFF to see if It entices me to buy it. 

I think my my problem is that I enjoy BOS etc and CLOD, and just feel this has a lot to live up to be impress me.

The career is like WoFF UE, but set in WWII... the AI has been improved. (it was really, really good in WoFF as it was)

For instance, 109's really will disengage if damaged. They will also disengage because of their low fuel state after a short period of combat... (historical)

They will disengage if they are a novice if they get 'shook up' by enfolding events.

Graphics, well, pretty good, but not in the same ball park as BoS obviously, but then again, looking good is not everything. 

As you would know, the feeling of flight is not as good as BoS or RoF, but again, once in the campaign I forget about that as I'm consumed with events around me.

I own all of the BoS series, WoFF, RoF and WoTR... they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but I enjoy playing all of them and they will stay on my HD for many years yet I'm sure  :)