Sturmnoob

Wings Over the Reich - WWII Flight Sim - New website is up

This will be a single player only flight sim so no multiplayer.

It will probably not be as pretty as the other sims we have but a dynamic SP campaign

is something that have been missing in the recent sim world I think.

http://www.wingsoverthereich.com/

To boldy go where no sim has gone before
- Dynamic campaign
- Living world model
- Radio and intercom systems
- Fighter and bomb squadrons
Etc... :salute:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Not much to see yet, but I'm not gonna dismiss it out of hand. 

However, I can say with absolute certainty, that they will not accomplish all they're setting out to do here.

Still it'll be interesting to see how far they get and I'll definitely try it out, if it ever gets released.

I'm not quite sure what time period the initial release is going to focus on.  Is it kicking off with the Battle of France, and therefore not over the Reich at all.  Or are they going for a late war starter, then fighting backwards through time like RoF did.  Or is it the chronological spew more commonly associated with DCS? 

Oh damn-what I wouldn't do to get a good single player sim. No one has yet to do any better than Il2 did back in the day and it's been practically ignored by most of the newer releases.

The intention is that it will eventually encompass the whole of WW2 and will be centered in Europe.

From the Battle of France, Battle of Britain to the massive day and night raids over Germany and German held territories

From the developers ^... it will start from the Battle of France to the large raids over Germany... If you follow the link from Dakpilot above (post #3) you will find the initial post from the developers when it was announced.

Oh damn-what I wouldn't do to get a good single player sim. No one has yet to do any better than Il2 did back in the day and it's been practically ignored by most of the newer releases.

EAW arguably had the best single player experience that we've seen to this day, and it had elements that Oleg never saw the need to bother with. Single player immersion was hardly the hallmark of the old IL2 out of the box.

I know because I spent many hours doing my best to mitigate this problem by building the Liberation Skies campaign for it. ;)

I don't like being *that* guy, but it's a two person development team according to their about page and they'll be using a DX9 engine given to them by someone else. It will likely never be released and if it is, it will flop. The DX9 engine alone will kill it, never mind the unrealistically tiny dev team. The reason is simple, eye candy sells. Good FM/DM/gameplay keeps players and gets good reviews (leading to more sales of course), but graphics are what form the all important first impression. Without that, you don't have anything. Just look at the pile of indie games on Steam nobody buys. Some of them are likely amazing, but no one will ever know because the graphics are circa 1997!

In regards to the best SP ever in a flight sim, I'm going to have to go with RoF. EAW was good, don't get me wrong, but RoF's current career mode is more impressive. The individual AI squad member stat tracking is what really separates it from the pack along. There is room for improvement of course, but they did a truly excellent job with it imho. The original Red Baron was pretty good too and I also have fond memories of Janes Longbow 2. My first experience playing a MP flight sim was IL2 (2001). I found IL2's SP so terrible that I very nearly uninstalled it after a few days to go back to EAW and Red Baron 3d. The only reason I didn't is because I decided to give MP a try before writing off the $40-50 as a waste. I ended up uninstalling EAW and playing IL2 for the next 4-5 years. IL2 was the first flight sim I'd ever played in MP, though I had previously played some FPS's in MP.

Edited by BeastyBaiter

They're the same people who developed Wings over Flanders Fields, and that turned out extremely well.

If they can keep a single-player WW1 flight sim going for 10 years then I'm pretty sure they'll manage with their new venture.

I for one can't wait to see what they come up with. 

Sorry for being optimistic folks.

They're the same people who developed Wings over Flanders Fields, and that turned out extremely well.

If they can keep a single-player WW1 flight sim going for 10 years then I'm pretty sure they'll manage with their new venture.

I for one can't wait to see what they come up with.

Sorry for being optimistic folks.

I wish them well.

However as a 3D modeler and texture artist, also somewhat familiar with rigging...I know how much work just that end of things is, not to mention the other aspects that take much, much more time.

LOD's, physics, etc.

So when I say "never" in response to a 2 man team - it's with a bit of knowledge on the matter - rather than being negative as such for the sake of it.

Well, you should see what they have done with the WoFF series... the latest game has no resemblance to CFS3 whatsoever.

I'm astounded by what this small team have managed to do with the OFF/WoFF game. I have puchased each new version and consider it money well spent.

The game may only be SP, but it is without doubt, the most immersive SP experience I have had in any aviation game I have ever bought so far.

If they can do what they have done with WoFF to a WWII environment, I will continue to support them to the hilt.

For a look at the latest graphics with WoFF UE look here... http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4306647/WOFF_UE#Post4306647

The graphics will be further improved with WoTR I believe.

By the way... also excited about TF getting the code and go ahead to progress with CloD... it's turning out to be a great year ahead for us simmers :)

Edited by Trooper117

Well look what (or who) the cat dragged in.

Howdy.

Haha yes, I'm back. Freshly dragged in and placed on the gleaming, polished marbled floor that is this community.

I wish them well.

However as a 3D modeler and texture artist, also somewhat familiar with rigging...I know how much work just that end of things is, not to mention the other aspects that take much, much more time.

LOD's, physics, etc.

So when I say "never" in response to a 2 man team - it's with a bit of knowledge on the matter - rather than being negative as such for the sake of it.

You're certainly more knowledgable on the matter than I am, and the task they've set themselves is truly monumental, I agree.

But considering their portfolio I'm remaining hopeful. They managed to make OFF/WoFF, I see no reason they can't replicate the same success in a different theatre. 

I just hope they haven't bitten off more than they can chew regarding all the new/additional features they're working on.

Edited by JG19_Leaf

Some of you guys in this thread don't know who OBD are it seems. You're in for a pleasant surprise.

• Upvote 1

I hope so.

I know nothing of what it takes to code the physics etc, I just know it's not easy and takes time, and that the whole endeavor will take time and resources. Including human resources

That linked poll had the B17 in there yet still the Spitfire came out top?

Some people have no soul.

Someone please give me a B17 again (like I had in the 90's)

I just hope they have a B-24 and a P-47 for me to fly. If they have those two aircraft then I'll be happy.

Lol to all the people who say it will flop. I mean, they already have a successful WWI DX9 sim published, and that is a niche in a niche.

If they just reskin WOFF it will be great, because online isn't the only mode sim players prefer. There is something to be said for a great single player experience with challenging AI.

Plus, their recoded graphics engine in WOFF looks pretty darn good, while not photorealistic like IL2 BOS, it has a charm to it.

I'm going to get it! I can't wait! 

I fon't think most people are saying it will flop. I think a lot of us are expressing doubts whether it will ever get done.

People here clearly know nothing whatsoever about the Dev team from WoFF.... I have followed them for years, they give constant updates, there are regular patches and constant improvements to all aspects of their game.

They release regular new versions. They are constantly conversing with users online...

I've been following the development of WoFF for many years, and I don't question the team's talent or dedication.

I'm simply saying, that a two-man team, any two-man team, can't meet the goals they're set up for this project, I just don't see it happening.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

I'm sure it will happen... How long will it take them? Who knows... If it follows the same format as WoFF I will be very pleased indeed.

This very small team has produced as far as I'm concerned, the best SP experience I have had in any aviation game I have owned in their WoFF game model.

However, no one knows how long they have been working on this behind the scenes and have then revealed their hand.

I can only go on their past record, which is exemplary, superb in fact.

I've been following the development of WoFF for many years, and I don't question the team's talent or dedication.

I'm simply saying, that a two-man team, any two-man team, can't meet the goals they're set up for this project, I just don't see it happening.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

It's never one man, after a while others will join, it could be even better with two man from beginning at same project , look at one man who started project to write fee operating system from scratch and another guy who do the same with kernel. It took time but things like programming whole OS from scratch ain't simple task.. But in the end they made it, yes is not that trivial like just a game and demand is significantly smaller but who knows they do splendid job with sp career in WOFF, and as many who try bouth are saying that ROf career and AI behavior is not even close.

lol, you guys...you are, and will be.  I can quietly confirm a soundtrack to match that scale, is being written right now.

As for industry strategy, financial, creative and human resources go; I'll pick 2 dedicated guys and friends, over a 300+ member studio any day of the week.

Working with a small, determined group of creatives, beats a bloated commercial mess for job satisfaction and fun.

Edited by anoxm_matmilne
  • Upvote 1

There are aspects, especially in mid- to late-WW2-airwar, completely new to the successful sim they published and maintained until now - radio, radio navigation, radar, a highly complex, rapidly changing integrated air defence system on both sides and the large scales of strategic air war. I'm very much interested how the devs will address those aspects of modern warfare. I'd gladly fly IL2-46 today, if the engine of that sim could have been extended for the needs of those modern aspects!

Let's see if they are able to present a Lancaster starting from somewhere N of London to the Ruhr (at least), simulating GEE first, the navigator and the bombardier doing additional visual position fixes and coupled reckoning, changing wind and clouds, marker bombs dropped by pathfinders at turning points of the bomber stream, orders coming in via morse code, German nightfighters guided by more or less clever AI-GC in Himmelbett-areas, realistic German AAA and searchlights, some radar guided, some shooting barrage, finally one of the several target marker procedures, maybe a single engine Wilde Sau fighter, drop bombs and all the way back. I'd LOVE to see this done in a sim!

I very much hope the game is a success.

Unfortunately I will never have the opportunity to fly a full bomber mission from start to finish. Eight to ten hours in front of the computer is way more than I can spend. I doubt there are many others out there who could afford to do it once or twice at most.

If there were a way to save the game during a mission the player could then complete each op at their leisure and not be confined to quick missions and spamming the time-skip button.

As much as I love and appreciate WOFF, I don't believe that they are able to pull out a WWII sim to todays standards.

We will have tons of atmosphere and immersion. For sure. It will be an outstanding SP experience. Of course.

But I expect it game play wise in a league with sims we had around the year 2000.

I wish OBD had the possibility to create their sim on a modern engine. And no, don't tell me it ain't the old CFS3 engine anymore. Even though it's revamped and what not, it's an anachronism and lacks modern features, which is not so much a problem within WWI but definitely in simulating WWII technology.

Hope I'm wrong though. I wish them all the best!

But I expect it game play wise in a league with sims we had around the year 2000.

In all seriousness, gameplay in flight sims pretty much went out the window after the year 2000. 

In all seriousness, gameplay in flight sims pretty much went out the window after the year 2000.

I didn't meant the SP aspect with gameplay, which of course went from bad to worse to not existing anymore the last 17 years.

I was referring to simulating and flying part. I doubt that we will see any advanced physics and depth of aircraft and enginesystems we are used to these days.

In the best case they aim to be something like European Airwar, which I played excessively back then. But I could simply not go back to this sim standard.

I don't have WoFF but I'm looking forward to WotR.

It's certainly an ambitious project, though judging by what I see that they've managed to get out of CFS3, I'll hold back on any doubts.

Sure hoping for a Lancaster!