Sign in to follow this  
II/JG17_HerrMurf

Skinning Noob

Hey Guys,

I'm teaching myself both skinning and GIMP at the same time. I have some background in art and working on the stock templates is going reasonably well. I have a question though, when I try to view custom templates there is a checkerboard or screen over the top. I have permission to tweak a template that was made for me but I can't figure out how to remove the checks to really see the image. What is this and how do I either remove it, change it or send it to the bottom layer while I work?

Murf

PS This is just a sample I was reviewing for spinners. It is not the template I have permission to modify. This skin was created by III/JG2Gustav05. I want to give proper credit.

post-1221-0-17920200-1484851278_thumb.jpg

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

This looks like an imported dds file, not a true template.  The checkerboard is probably the applied alpha layer mask.  edit, no way I know of getting rid of it in GIMP.

Be aware that newer higher density templates are being released, 4096x4096 vs 2048x2048.

Edited by 12.OIAE_Stick-95

Ah, got it. Thanks. I may not have a custom template to work from then. I'm happy to create what I need from scratch other than numbers, insignia and personal decals. I need to find resources for those. 

Now that I think of it, it makes sense that the .psd is editable and the .dds is not as there are no layers in the latter.

HerrMurf,

Download a psd to play with.  GIMP will open it.  When you save it GIMP saves as xcf.  To make a dds file you will need a dds plugin for GIMP (see tutorial link below).  You make a dds through the Export process.  There are certain settings needed.

Here's a short tutorial.  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/13726-quick-start-guide-skinning-gimp/

Edited by 12.OIAE_Stick-95

Oh, I'm already skinning the official 2k templates and have printed a bunch of tutorials - including a couple from here. Thanks.

Early stages to gain experience. Not using layers yet but I will soon.

post-1221-0-85791100-1484863176_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1