Photo

I give up. Please help me with suggestions for the best key bindings for a beginner?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen_Hawqinz

Stephen_Hawqinz

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:21

Hello sir or madame! I hope you are well and are having a nice day (or night). I need your help! It is no secret that this game (most sims actually) is very hard and complicated if you arent already an experienced pilot (sim or real life) and/or have an expensive setup with pedals and head-tracking and whatnot. I knew this going in but even though there is an "Easy" setting and options to make the game more friendly to beginners,

I need help setting up my keyboard commands in-game. Why? Because there is an overwhelming amount of commands (not the only reason) you can assign and the problem is that I need to know WHICH commands that are required to play the game as a beginner and which keys to bind them to. I have searched this forum and the internet for days (literally) looking for any suggestions for a simple key mapping with only the bare essentials for a newbie. Ive seen guides/suggestions for joystick settings but thats it. It doesnt help that some keys have two commands assigned to one key by default either.

To cut things short, I would like some help with:

1. Which key commands is absolutely necessary to play the game

2. Which keys should I assign the commands to for them to be as close to each other/easily accessable

3. Any other suggestions for making this as easy as possible for a beginner 

Of course I want the game to be a challenge but I must practice and the best way is to start off easy.

Thank you for your time and take care

"Coming to you live from the Kingdom of Sweden.."

#2 -IRRE-Centx

-IRRE-Centx
  • Founder

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:41

Here is what I basically have, with a joystick which doesn't have a lot of buttons (Thrustmaster Hotas X)

= I binded what I use the most on joystick/hotas, and the rest on keyboard

On the joystick:

- Triggers for weapons (canons/MGs, bombs, rockets)

- Zoom (top and bottom of the hatswitch) Note: I have a trackIR, but I don't like zooming with the track.

- Center the view to the gunsight (left of the hat)

- Wheel brakes (right of the hat)

On the Hotas:

- Flaps (2 buttons)

- Trim Pitch (2 buttons)

- The map

(could have a 6th key assigned on the hotas, but I have one broken button which doesn't work anymore :unsure:  )

On the keyboard:

- Mixture

- RPMs (+ a special binding for the RPMs of Pe-2 35)

- Radiators (+ some special bindings for some planes, such as I-16 air inlets or Bf 110 management...). You can put air/water/oil radiators on the same keys, it's not important for beginners.

- Bombs/Rockets managements (drop by pairs, drop all,...)

- Bomb detonator on/off

- Bomb sight

- Unlock/Lock tailwheel

I think I didn't forget anything, those are all you need for the beginning, even for planes with two engines.

(I don't have the Ju-52, so I don't know if you need some special bindings for it)

#3 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77
  • Founder

Posted 16 January 2017 - 14:04

Remember, their is nothing wrong with creating a cheat sheet either!  I have a 6x8 file card on which I have drawn (comically badly) my control devices (a T16000 and a 6 lever throttle quadrant) and written in all my key bindings.  I find that after a while I use it less and less, but it's still there!  

Intel i5 6600K (skylake) @4.0ghz, , 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-2800 [/size]ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX [/size]ASRock fatal1ty z170 mobo Windows 10 home

#4 II/JG17_HerrMurf

II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Founder

Posted 16 January 2017 - 21:28

So, a really important question before diving in. What peripherals do you HAVE? I'm hoping a joystick as a minimum - with twist would be better. Are you flying strictly SP for now or are you trying for MP as well? Answering these will give a better baseline for recommendations.

If the argument against expanding to the Western Front is simply the Luftwaffe was overwhelmed and defeated then there is absolutely no reason to ever go back to the late war Eastern Front either. 

Falcon NW Talon, Z97 Ranger, Intel i5 4670, 32 gb RAM, nVidia GTX 780ti, Hotas Warthog with 10cm extension, MFG Crosswind, Track ir5, 42" Sharp TV/Monitor 60 hrz, Self designed PVC center mount cockpit, PVC collective for DCS helicopters

#5 216th_Nocke

216th_Nocke

Posted 16 January 2017 - 22:57

Maybe slightly off topic, but, as many new players are overwhelmed by the complexity of the sim: Look at it positively. This is a never ending journey. You can stay literally decades in this combat sim world, continuously learning new stuff about the software, hardware, history, tactics, technics, psychology of forumites, computer graphics, and so on and so forth. Be patient, enjoy, and welcome aboard!

Oh, and, of course, the ideal setup of your peripherals is of course an infinite journey as well...

#6 Mmaruda

Mmaruda
  • Founder

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:30

I have the the full set with a TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder and and TrackIR, but I have been in this business for almost a decade now, so for a beginner something like the TM 16000M should be a good choice (there is a new version that comes with a separate throttle now, more expensive, but looks to be the top choice for a solid entry level HOTAS).

As for the controls that you need, besides the obvious axis and guns and other weapons, here are some other stuff that you will need:

pitch, yaw and roll trim - a properly trimmed aircraft is faster and easier to fly, also less stress on the hand. If you cannot spare the button or keys, at least have the pitch trim bound somewhere, it is also worth mentioning that for some aircraft like the 109 and the 190 it's a separate entry calles "vertical stabilizer" - it's the same thing and you can bind it to the same controls as you regular pitch trimmer, which is what I did. IL2 allows you to bind multiple function for the same button, which is a great thing.

propeller pitch / RPM settings - this is crucial for keeping your engine alive and you will be using it a lot - for take-off set to 100%, for normal flight set it to 75%, also 100% for climbing in combat and emergency escapes.

water and oil radiators - again, some planes have separate controls for this (because they move incrementally), but you can bind to the same buttons as general radiators same as with the vertical stabilizers.

inlet and outlet shutters - these are radiators for planes with radial engines (La-5, Ju-88)

Radiators are important for keeping your engine cool, but increase drag and reduce speed - something to keep in mind in combat.

Mixture - practically only in Soviet planes - reduce to about 75% at higher altitude, else you will be spilling unburnt fuel through the exhaust.

Supercharger stage - various Soviet planes have manual superchargers - this is a single button switch that you usually flip above 2500 meters.

Flaps - kind of obvious

wheel breaks as well as left and right wheel brake for German planes the I-16 and the P-40 - differential breaking is key to not spinning out on the ground.

That is basically all that I can think off from the top of my head. If you feel overwhelmed by all this and don't have the buttons - try sticking to one plane, like the 109 as they have automatic prop pitch, superchargers and radiators.

Cheers.

#7 Maple_X

Maple_X
  • Founder

Posted 17 January 2017 - 15:16

1. necessary

Fire all gun, rocket, bomb, RPM control (axis or key), wheel brake, zoom in/out

2. should be assigned

Mixture control (axis or key), supercharger, boost, rocket release mode, bomb release mode,

flap up/down, gear up/down, pitch trim and stabilizer (you may assign same key),

oil radiator, water radiator/inlet cowl (you may assign same key because no plane has both), outlet cowl

3. if you can

roll trim, yaw trim, dive brake, manual prop pitch, feathering, tail wheel lock, canopy open/close,

bomb fuse, bomb bay door

#8 Zippy-do-dar

Zippy-do-dar

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:43

I found this BOS reference list on site made by Garfield-ch post  #29 very handy

i've just printed it out and pinned it to the wall it has help me learn the commands

https://forum.il2stu...6-command-list/

#9 71st_AH_Scojo

71st_AH_Scojo

Posted 18 January 2017 - 15:57

I fly or have flown every VVS plane. I have also flown most Axis planes. This list may be incomplete, but I've flown fine after binding/knowing where these are:

(Musts)

Engine start

Throttle/Pitch/Yaw/Roll

Fuel mixture

Prop RPM

Radiators water & oil

Engine cowlings

landing gear

flaps

weapon group 1

weapon group 2

drop bomb

fire rocket

wheel brake

show map/mission brief screen

(not necessarily but highly recommended)

trim for pitch/yaw/roll

lock/unlock tail wheel

canopy open/close

Eject

airbrakes

Bombay door toggle

enter bombsight

Some of these settings require an "axis" while others may work off a button:

Prop RPM for PE-2 - buttons for up and down on series 5X, axis for series 87

Some require more/different buttons to use:

Axis planes have left and right wheel brakes, whereas VVS have one wheel brake button and you brake on a specific side by pointing your rudder in that direction AND holding down the wheel brake button.

Also some settings have plane specific versions:

There is an engine cowling keybind for I-16 and some other two planes and a separate engine cowling keybind for other planes (p-40 I think)

Most Axis planes don't require some of the engine control functions I listed in the "Musts" section. So if you're in an axis plane and hit a button for something, say radiator, and nothing happens, that means it's automatic and you don't need to worry about setting it.

Edited by 71st_AH_Scojo, 18 January 2017 - 16:04.

Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman.                                           — Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, GAF

I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game.      — Sir Harry Broadhurst, RAF, 12 victories WWII

Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder.                                                                                                                                                    — Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker, USAS

#10 Stephen_Hawqinz

Stephen_Hawqinz

Posted 20 January 2017 - 13:12

So, a really important question before diving in. What peripherals do you HAVE? I'm hoping a joystick as a minimum - with twist would be better. Are you flying strictly SP for now or are you trying for MP as well? Answering these will give a better baseline for recommendations.

I only have a joystick for now, but it has the twist function. It was a cheap one called Mad Catz V1 Flight Stick (The box says C.Y.B.O.R.G though, dont know why), see picture in link below. Other than that its keyboard and mouse and if you mean what screen I use when you say "peripherals" (as in peripheral vision) its a 42" Panasonic TV. I really cant afford anything else and if I could it would be a roaring faux paux to buy a full set of equipment, trackIR, pedals, a joystick so advanced it will fry some eggs for you if you get peckish and so on, only to discover that the game is too advanced for my brain to handle, for the moment at least, or that I didnt like it. 

I almost havent played the game at all, just a few tries (i.e crash on the runway). What Ive done instead is to "study" for two weeks. Checking videos (Air Combat Tutorial channel on Utube is "GOLD Jerry! GOLD"), reading, writing stuff down, drawing, that kind of stuff (too much and unnecessary perhaps) and  as well as trying to figure out the key commands. So after two weeks I gave up trying and now Im here. So this isnt one of those "I-create-a-topic-because-I-cant-be-bothered-to-search-the-forum" situations.

https://teknikmagasi...9714/493026.png

One button doesnt show in the picture (except for the trigger). There is some kind of "shift" button on the front of the handle. I havent gotten it to work when I tried to bind the keys. I have a feeling that it could come in handy.

I found this BOS reference list on site made by Garfield-ch post  #29 very handy

i've just printed it out and pinned it to the wall it has help me learn the commands

https://forum.il2stu...6-command-list/

Yes Ive seen that one, thank you. And it is, as I said before (I think), people asking for the default commands. :)

If I DIDNT mention it, to make myself clear, Im not after the default settings. :)

Thanks everyone for your kindness and patience. 

I fly or have flown every VVS plane. I have also flown most Axis planes. This list may be incomplete, but I've flown fine after binding/knowing where these are:

(Musts)

Engine start

Throttle/Pitch/Yaw/Roll

Fuel mixture

Prop RPM

Radiators water & oil

Engine cowlings

landing gear

flaps

weapon group 1

weapon group 2

drop bomb

fire rocket

wheel brake

show map/mission brief screen

(not necessarily but highly recommended)

trim for pitch/yaw/roll

lock/unlock tail wheel

canopy open/close

Eject

airbrakes

Bombay door toggle

enter bombsight

Some of these settings require an "axis" while others may work off a button:

Prop RPM for PE-2 - buttons for up and down on series 5X, axis for series 87

Some require more/different buttons to use:

Axis planes have left and right wheel brakes, whereas VVS have one wheel brake button and you brake on a specific side by pointing your rudder in that direction AND holding down the wheel brake button.

Also some settings have plane specific versions:

There is an engine cowling keybind for I-16 and some other two planes and a separate engine cowling keybind for other planes (p-40 I think)

Most Axis planes don't require some of the engine control functions I listed in the "Musts" section. So if you're in an axis plane and hit a button for something, say radiator, and nothing happens, that means it's automatic and you don't need to worry about setting it.

Thank you kindly. Now the big question, where to bind the commands. :)

Edited by Stephen_Hawqinz, 20 January 2017 - 13:15.

#11 71st_AH_Scojo

71st_AH_Scojo

Posted 20 January 2017 - 13:44

Thank you kindly. Now the big question, where to bind the commands. :)

I bind all of those to my throttle and stick buttons, so I'm not much help when it comes to setting them up on the keyboard.

Best advice I can give there, is set them where you think you'll like them best, then check all the orange boxes that appear in each keybind to make sure you're ok with what you're overwriting. If you're not, find a new place for the other function that was on that key. If you're ok with it, just remove the other function bound to that key so you're not doing two things at once with one key.

Then it just comes down to tweaking as you fly missions. I've been in BoS now for more than a month and I'm still changing up my bindings as I find more and more functions that I want to use.

Also, while it's probably obvious, set frequently used functions to one key press bindings. Set infrequently used functions or functions only used in takeoff/landing to shift or cntrl combination keybindings so you won't have functions spread out ALL over your keyboard.

Another space saving trick for keybinds is that it's ok to set Axis only keybinds to the same keys as Russian only keybinds. For example, I have two forward buttons on my throttle. The left one I set to left wheel brake and the right one I set to both right wheel brake and rudder controlled wheel brakes. This is ok because when I'm in an Axis fighter it doesn't have rudder controlled wheel brake, just left and right and when I'm in a Russian fighter, it doesn't have left and right, just an overall wheel brake. therefore, my right button does something different depending on the plane, but both of those functions only take up one button.

Edited by 71st_AH_Scojo, 20 January 2017 - 13:49.

Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman.                                           — Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, GAF

I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game.      — Sir Harry Broadhurst, RAF, 12 victories WWII

Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder.                                                                                                                                                    — Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker, USAS

#12 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 23 January 2017 - 16:17

Set infrequently used functions or functions only used in takeoff/landing to shift or cntrl combination keybindings so you won't have functions spread out ALL over your keyboard.

Another benefit of this is it will make it more difficult for you to e.g. raise your gear by accident while still on the ground. Canopy and gear were the first things I added a modifier key to, after inadvertently toggling them at the wrong time. 

#13 kestrel79

kestrel79
  • Founder

Posted 23 January 2017 - 23:40

If you don't have a TrackIR to look around I would map a hat switch on your joystick so you can look around while flying and check your six.

All the other commands listed above are the most common to get started...yes there's a lot but when you put it together and remember them it's very rewarding and worth it :)

Intel i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz // Asus P8P67 mobo // 16GB G.Skill RAM // ATi 7950 3GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7

#14 Stephen_Hawqinz

Stephen_Hawqinz

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:01

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THEIR KINDNESS AND HELPFUL TIPS!!! :D 

I really appreciate it. Keep em coming! :)

If you don't have a TrackIR to look around I would map a hat switch on your joystick so you can look around while flying and check your six.

All the other commands listed above are the most common to get started...yes there's a lot but when you put it together and remember them it's very rewarding and worth it :)

Thank you! And fortunately for me, there is an excellent guide to that on the Air Combat Tutorial Library channel on Utube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users