446 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a PC VR device?

• Yes, HTC Vive
    • Yes, Oculus Rift
    • Yes, other PC VR Device
    • No, but I will buy one in 2017or 2018
    • No, I will continue to use monitor for next couple of year and will see
    • No, I will always use a monitor
    • Yes, Windows Mixed Reality (Dell, Asus, Acer, Lenovo, HP)
    • Yes, Windows Mixed Reality (Samsung Odyssey)

Just to follow VR adoption, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, or any new device supported in BoX by the end of this winter and beyond...

If you own more than one device then vote for the one you prefer to use with BoX

Edited by chiliwili69

Probably in 2018 when i finished my thesis and got the money for a high-end device :)

Me too or when HTC Vive 2 gets here.

Got to buy a new rig, and then decide. VR is probably last in any priority since I fly mostly bombers and use panels

I tried the HTC Vive for a week with DCS. I can definitely say that next generation I will buy.

The immersion was unparalleled! I was there, in the pit, in the world. So easy to fly, take off and land.

What made me go for a better monitor atm was the low resolution and the fact that the tiniest lag caused nausea!

VR is probably last in any priority since I fly mostly bombers and use panels

I imagine that with bombers VR is even more impressive then with fighters...at least i read/saw reports from VR pilots, who said they actually prefer groud attack with VR (since you can judge distances a lot better), so it's easier to hit with unguided ground weapons. Bunyap told he had no problems to hit ships with the manual-guided rockets of the Viggen in VR, but didn't hit shit when using a monitor.

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*

I tried the HTC Vive for a week with DCS. I can definitely say that next generation I will buy.

The immersion was unparalleled! I was there, in the pit, in the world. So easy to fly, take off and land.

What made me go for a better monitor atm was the low resolution and the fact that the tiniest lag caused nausea!

Yes, you're there. You're IN THE WORLD. There really is no other way to describe it. You're in the game, you're not watching your monitor and interacting via your peripherals. You're surrounded by the cockpit and theatre. Aiming is better, take off and landings are better, sense of flight and speed are better. It's a quantum leap in immersion.

Get one, JOIN US.

most of people dont care about virtual reality, look what happen with the nvidia 3d tech, I like the immersion, but virtual reality is way too much for me, there is a target audience for it? sure, but it will be very small and limited due the high price, I will not pay more than 150 usd for a stupid device in my head full of cables and stuff.

there is a target audience for it? sure, but it will be very small and limited due the high price

Same thing was said about smartphones a few years ago. PCs before that. TVs before that.

I'll upgrade to a UWQHD with GSYNC and IPS panel instead. I tested both the Vive and the Rift and they are not worth the money for me. But i'll probably buy one of the 2nd generation devices.

I did try BOS/BOM with HTC Vive and must say experience is way better than DCS ! Unfortunately I can't play game without VR any more , so BOK and game is on hold for now . I hope devs will shift priority as BOK/Pacific tech will take much more than 2 months .

I have tested PSVR with DCS and for me the tech isn't quite there yet. When the 2nd gen arrives, I'll take another look and I'm inclined to buy one of these then.

• Upvote 1

I've had the chance to try out OR and it is quite amazing. But for games like this combat flight sim VR will need more resolution and better game performance to really become preferable. I'm sure that in the future I'll consider one. VR could be an incredible boost for this genre.

• Upvote 1

Just for the record, at 30-Jan-2017 the poll is:

HTC Vive: 11 votes, 18%

Rift: 15 votes, 24.6%

Other devices: 0 votes

No, but will buy 2017/18: 19 votes 31.2%

No, will wait 2 years: 16 votes 26.3%

No, always monitor: 0 votes

It is interesting to learn that 26 people of this forum already own a Vive/Rift device, it will be interesting to see how this number grow this Spring when VR will be supported.

18%+24.6% is 44.6%, but it doesn´t mean that 44.6% of the BoX users own a VR device, it only means that 44.6% of the people who participate in the poll own a VR device. This poll is highly highly biased by the VR fans o people like me who just search in the forum for "Rift" o "Vive". Therefore since the number of people in this forum is about 100.000 we only could say that the real fraction of VR device owners in this forum is between 0.026% and 44.6%.

It is more interesting to know that about half (19 votes) of the people who don´t currently own a VR device will buy one in 2017/18, while the other half (16 votes) will wait two years to see how the technology mature.

The overall number toward VR seems quite high (18+24.6+31.2=about 74%), but again this poll is highly biased by VR fans and the total number of votes (61) is still very low.

It would be nice if Han mention this poll in his next announcement or when VR will be supported, so more people can bring their opinion to the poll.

Edited by chiliwili69

I was waiting for the 2nd gen devices earlier. But seems that it is far away, many have guessed about 2 years and I am inclined to agree. When that`s the case, I decided to buy Rift now and get most of it before 2nd gen arrives. After reading a lot of great stories about VR flying and with Oculus price drop, I just could not pass the opportunity to try it myself.

Couple more days and I`ll finally see if the stories were accurate  :)

My main issues with VR are that I tend to get nausea when playing FPS-type games, so I suspect that I will be prone to that with VR as well. That and the fact that I wear spectacles, so have a few concerns about how that would affect focal points and comfort.

My main issues with VR are that I tend to get nausea when playing FPS-type games, so I suspect that I will be prone to that with VR as well. That and the fact that I wear spectacles, so have a few concerns about how that would affect focal points and comfort.

I'm the same. Just watching my grandchildren playing Call of Duty gives me nausea. I've just got my Rift and so far so good flying the DCS Spit. I also wear specs, I'm shortsighted, and no problems there either. I think VR games like driving or Flight where you have a  windscreen or cockpit frame are less likely to make you feel sick.

One word of warning, once you try flying in VR there is no going back, it's a revelation!

• Upvote 2

Thanks for that Lensman - useful info for someone like me. Strangely enough it was playing CoD (the original) that first flagged up my motion sickness issues with PC games.

I'd like to know if the current owners of VR devices ( and who now have a history of use,) suggest that we wait for the next generation which I assume might be a year or so off? Is hook up & adjusting for each PC more than the average user capable of? If "hook-up & play" your basic hoped for goal would it be better to wait until BoS or for that matter ClOD have VR totally lined up as notification #152 allude to today? :salute:

People are using VR while I'm still using a monitor that was released around the time when I stopped using Windows ME... :/

which I assume might be a year or so off?

A bit longer than year if you think on HTC and Oculus. Read this post:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28086-oculus-rift-cv1-my-impressions-detailed/?p=450935

It is true that many new devices will appear this year and next, most likely supporting OpenVR. But as I said the current limitations are not in the displays but in the GPU.

If you doubt, just wait a month and you will be able to see what the BOX users say about. 

Will upcoming devices with 8K make a difference...not only with resolution but perhaps a reduction of frame rate...or not?

Just for the record, at 17-April-2017 with 155 votes, just few days after VR release the poll is:

HTC Vive: 19 votes, 12.26%

Rift: 55 votes, 35.48%

Other devices: 2 votes, 1.29%

No, but will buy 2017/18: 40 votes, 25.81%

No, will wait 2 years: 35 votes, 22.58%

No, always monitor: 4 votes, 2.58%

According just to the votes (which is our best estimation about reality), Vive+Rift owners have grown from 26 (30th-Jan) to 74, just multiplied by 3 in less than three months.

For the people who don´t own a VR device, the proportion remains similar from 30th-Jan. About half of them will wait and half of them with buy one in 2017/2018.

Overall number toward current state of VR continues to be about the same 75% (12.26+35.48+1.29+25.81)

Edited by chiliwili69

Will buy one when the resolution gets better.

That`s why I sold my Rift after couple of months. I just could not stand the low resolution. When it gets better, there is no alternative for VR in sims. 

Added my vote the the list.  Had pretty much decided to wait till the next generation despite being sorely tempted by the latest big sale, but I had a chance today to do a demo at a Microsoft store at a nearby mall and walked out of there with a new Rift bundle.

I know it's going to a have some issues, but I'm hoping it will be as cool as I think it's going to be for the next year or so till the next generation stuff gets here, and if so it will have been worth the money.  Unfortunately, it's going to be a few days till I can start setting it up because of some stuff going on IRL - really hard to wait now that it's sitting here in the house with me :)

Just for the record, at 26-Nov-2017 with 252 votes, just a week after announcing Flying Circus in VR and before the Christmas season:

HTC Vive: 32 votes, 12.7%

Rift: 113 votes, 44.84%

Other devices: 3 votes, 1.2%

No, but will buy 2017/18: 42 votes, 16.67%

No, will wait 2 years: 55 votes, 21.83%

No, always monitor: 5 votes, 1.98%

Windows MR (Dell, Asus, Acer, Lenovo, HP): 1 vote, 0.4%

Windows MR (Odyssey): 1 vote, 0.4%

59.5% of the votes have a VR device. Again it doesn´t mean that more than half of the IL-2 users are in VR. This poll has not been taken by many people playing with monitor. But this % is an increasing number month after month.

The new Windows MR devices has been incorporated to the poll. Some of them has an IPD/FOV bug with IL-2 that we expect should be corrected soon.

Edited by chiliwili69

most of people dont care about virtual reality, look what happen with the nvidia 3d tech, I like the immersion, but virtual reality is way too much for me, there is a target audience for it? sure, but it will be very small and limited due the high price, I will not pay more than 150 usd for a stupid device in my head full of cables and stuff.

This has to be the single most ignorant post that I've had the misfortune to read on this forum.

I have both the Rift AND the Vive but there's no option for that.

• Upvote 2

This has to be the single most ignorant post that I've had the misfortune to read on this forum.

Well in fairness, that post you were replying too was made back when the Rift was considerably more expensive, Vive has come down some as well.

I paid double for my Rift and Touch back in January, over what it is at regular price today.

With improved tech on the resolution and performance front, VR is only going to grow in adoption by flight/racing/space simmers.  I am eagerly awaiting 6-DOF motion platform support for IL-2 so I can take the next step up from just visuals :salute:

I had Oculus Rift but the low resolution/screen door was too annoying so I sold it. I believe in the tech, just gonna wait for a gen to two. Back to track IR for now. :)

The poll numbers are interesting... Judging from the forum I thought the Vive was the more popular choice here and I was in the minority with the Rift... apparently not the case.

Rift has been priced well below the Vive for most of the time since IL2 supported VR. The Vives Roomscale capability benefits over the Rift doesn't really sell to those wishing to spend most time in a seated experience.