Lanzfeld

Damaged buildings

OK hopefully this will clear up some confusion I have. Are there only two levels to every building texture? A normal building any damaged one? Or is there a normal damaged and destroyed texture?Because I arrived at the target area and I still see standing structures but they're slightly damaged. Does the game consider the structures destroyed?

not sure think there is only Full health and Full Destroyed models.

I had an annoying problem tho buildings/planes would appear un damaged until i was 100-150m in a dive so i would either drop a bomb on already dead object or have to abort a run wasting time.

not sure whats causing such a low range

I had an annoying problem tho buildings/planes would appear un damaged until i was 100-150m in a dive so i would either drop a bomb on already dead object or have to abort a run wasting time.

not sure whats causing such a low range

This does happen on MP. Idk about SP

As to OP's question, there is no slightly damaged. Just undestroyed and destroyed. Your confusion may come from structures such as hangars and ammo dumps as their status can be hard to identify from certain angles.

Here are some details re. target structures:

Buildings and other structures consist of one or more parts and you need to destroy all the parts for the structure to be destroyed (in mission-builder speak, "generate an OnKilled event message"). 

See follow-up information below.

In multiplayer, you will see a chat message for each part of a structure that you destroy. The chat messages do not identify which parts were destroyed though.

The picture below shows a few sample structures in their new and destroyed states.

post-12622-0-73625300-1484671065_thumb.png

Here are the number of parts for each structure:

- Large hanger: 1 part

- Small hanger: 4 parts (1 hanger part and 3 crate parts in front of the hanger)

- Ammo Dump:  9 parts (2 netting and 7 crate parts)

- Fuel Dump:    4 parts (2 fuel drum clusters of 4 drums each and 2 crate parts)

And, no, there is no list (that I know of) of all the structures and how many parts each has. You have to experiment with each structure in the mission editor to find out how many parts it has (see "Damage" on pg. 218 of the IL-2 Sturmovik Mission Editor and Multiplayer Server Manual).

Unfortunately, for many structures, it's hard to tell from the air if you have destroyed all the parts unless the mission builder provides feedback (text message, smoke, etc.) for each structure at a target (versus feedback for the target as a whole). Providing feedback for each structure can be quite labour-intensive and it can (in the case of smoke effects) degrade mission performance.

Edited by JimTM

The crates are parts that have to be destroyed themselves????

Well no wonder I haven't completed some objectives. I can shoot those things all day long and they'll never get destroyed. You must have to hit crates with bombs. I just assumed they couldn't be destroyed.

I did know that you could destroy oil drum clusters, but I've only ever been able to do so with bombs. Strafing oil drums doesn't seem to have any affect.

Edited by 71st_AH_Scojo

The crates are parts that have to be destroyed themselves????

Well no wonder I haven't completed some objectives. I can shoot those things all day long and they'll never get destroyed. You must have to hit crates with bombs. I just assumed they couldn't be destroyed.

I did know that you could destroy oil drum clusters, but I've only ever been able to do so with bombs. Strafing oil drums doesn't seem to have any affect.

Hmmm, I just did some strafing tests on an ammo dump and a fuel dump and I learned something new. Here's what I found:

- You can destroy the crates with strafing and they disappear when destroyed (the rest of the structure remains, unless the mission builder selects "delete after death", which takes effect after about 7 minutes or so.)

I'm not sure why you are having problems with strafing; maybe the durability of the structure is set too high (or left at the default) by the mission builder.

- The structure actually generates an "OnKilled" message for each part destroyed. If the mission design looks for one "OnKilled" message from each structure at a target, then there may be crates hanging around after you have strafed and destroyed the fuel drums, for example. Also, you could destroy a crate and not the drums and an OnKilled message is generated. This complicates things. Any thoughts from mission builders out there?

Edited by JimTM

Hmmm, I just did some strafing tests on an ammo dump and a fuel dump and I learned something new. Here's what I found:

- You can destroy the crates with strafing and they disappear when destroyed (the rest of the structure remains, unless the mission builder selects "delete after death", which takes effect after about 7 minutes or so.)

I'm not sure why you are having problems with strafing; maybe the durability of the structure is set too high (or left at the default) by the mission builder.

- The structure actually generates an "OnKilled" message for each part destroyed. If the mission design looks for one "OnKilled" message from each structure at a target, then there may be crates hanging around after you have strafed and destroyed the fuel drums,  for example. Also, you could destroy a crate and not the drums and an OnKilled message is generated. This complicates things. Any thoughts from mission builders out there?

Ok. I will try again this evening. I'll just go for crates and oil drums using MGs and standard IL-2 and PE-2 cannons and video it.

I have yet to destroy crates on either WoL Server or FNBF. I haven't had a chance to destroy any in quick mission or PWCG missions.

Last FNBF I put a good 1-2 seconds of IL-2 MGs and Cannons into a stack of crates and never got a kill message and the model didn't disappear or change.

On WoL, I frequently run PE-2s and I have dropped numerous 250kg bombs on structures containing crates and nothing happens to them.

Hopefully, in these servers, crates are just there for show, but if they aren't and they count towards objectives and are set at high durability, then that explains why I can never complete Warehouse objectives after bombing every square inch with numerous sorties.

Edited by 71st_AH_Scojo

Does explain a lot huh..

Like us looking for ages how to finish off a factory all because of 1 hidden crate or something..

I think it would depend on whether a mission is looking for one "OnKilled" message from a multi-part structure or not (or whether they use some other method of scoring hits). Scoring with a single OnKilled message means that any part of the structure is good and left-over hidden crates would not matter.

I think it would depend on whether a mission is looking for one "OnKilled" message from a multi-part structure or not (or whether they use some other method of scoring hits). Scoring with a single OnKilled message means that any part of the structure is good and left-over hidden crates would not matter.

WoL requires every object in an objective area be destroyed for the objective to complete and disappear from the map. I don't know this from a mission programing point, just from bombing on that server a lot. I've completed several objectives and each time I did so after finding and hitting the very last object that was not destroyed.

For example, I bombed an airfield where all that was left was one set of fuel tanks. So I'm pretty certain it doesn't count an object as destroyed for the objective if it doesn't receive an "on killed" message from each and every part.

Edited by 71st_AH_Scojo

WoL requires every object in an objective area be destroyed for the objective to complete and disappear from the map. I don't know this from a mission programing point, just from bombing on that server a lot. I've completed several objectives and each time I did so after finding and hitting the very last object that was not destroyed.

For example, I bombed an airfield where all that was left was one set of fuel tanks. So I'm pretty certain it doesn't count an object as destroyed for the objective if it doesn't receive an "on killed" message from each and every part.

I had a look at the fuel depot (location 0909-1) in a WOL mission called "Velikie Luki - 1942 (2-nd phase)" (filename operationvl-wl-206-01.msnbin) and you are correct re. how WOL handles scoring (at least in this case). There is a counter that counts up all the OnKilled messages from 22 different objects and the counter is set to trigger a "Target destroyed" message when it reaches 110. Presumably, the 110 is the number of parts making up the 22 objects.

I did notice a fuel truck (a "static" object to be exact) sitting next to a fuel dump object and the truck was not connected to the counter. If someone strafed the fuel cans and related crates and destroyed them all, they may think that they had to destroy the truck too. There are other fuel trucks (static objects, 1 part each) on the road at the target that are connected to the counter, so those must be destroyed.

Edited by JimTM

I had a look at the fuel depot (location 0909-1) in a WOL mission called "Velikie Luki - 1942 (2-nd phase)" (filename operationvl-wl-206-01.msnbin) and you are correct re. how WOL handles scoring (at least in this case). There is a counter that counts up all the OnKilled messages from 22 different objects and the counter is set to trigger a "Target destroyed" message when it reaches 110. Presumably, the 110 is the number of parts making up the 22 objects.

I did notice a fuel truck (a "static" object to be exact) sitting next to a fuel dump object and the truck was not connected to the counter. If someone strafed the fuel cans and related crates and destroyed them all, they may think that they had to destroy the truck too. There are other fuel trucks (static objects, 1 part each) on the road at the target that are connected to the counter, so those must be destroyed.

Yeah, the trucks are always the easy part. The difficulty we were having I think still comes in with Crates and Barrels. I didn't get a chance to strafe some yesterday, as all of the targets on the server (that I could actually get to ) were armored convoys.

I will try again today and see if I have better luck with them.

Jim, I wonder how the case of a big bomb destroying multiple buildings at once is handled. Last time I tested, triggering a counter multiple times in the same simulation cycle increased it only by one.

Must see WT destructible Enviroment like and example they could inprove in you tube but this is that not a realistic SIM .

Il2 BOS BOkuban is and will be the best SIM of 2017 , the most WW2 realistic & history accurated detailed .

Jim, I wonder how the case of a big bomb destroying multiple buildings at once is handled. Last time I tested, triggering a counter multiple times in the same simulation cycle increased it only by one.

Coconut,

I did not see any mechanism to handle a "big bomb" scenario in the WoL mission that I looked at. I have a group called a Multi-Input Counter on pg. 292 of my mission editor manual that should handle that scenario. The "OUT" counter in the group would correspond to the 110 counter in the WoL mission and you would need to add counters IN9-IN22 and timers T9-T22 to the group .

Jim, I don't think that will work. In this case we have 22 static groups with 5 buildings or more each. Your solution could work for two different static groups where exactly one building in each is destroyed, but I don't it will work if two buildings within the same static group are destroyed simultaneously. What would happen in the latter? Would the OnKill event be raised multiple times "simultaneously"? It's a bit hard to visualize what the effect would be, and how to differentiate between these.

Jim, I don't think that will work. In this case we have 22 static groups with 5 buildings or more each. Your solution could work for two different static groups where exactly one building in each is destroyed, but I don't it will work if two buildings within the same static group are destroyed simultaneously. What would happen in the latter? Would the OnKill event be raised multiple times "simultaneously"? It's a bit hard to visualize what the effect would be, and how to differentiate between these.

Given my new understanding of how an object generates OnKilled messages (one per object part, including a building in a multi-building object), it appears that the Multi-Input counter would not work correctly. I'll have to change it in the manual with an alternative. I got your PM re. the matter. Thanks.