Sign in to follow this  
US3PG_Hubbard

How to kill a 109 from a Yak?

What might be the best strategy for a Yak fighter pilot to take against a 109 fighter pilot on a simple one 2 one fight.  

Given the situation is that both encounter each other on the same altitude and same energy to start with.  It seems to me that the 109 must do his best to do vertical climbs and dives and avoid going below the Yak.  Any kind of horizontal turn fight does not seem to be a good idea for the 109.   Just fighting the AI I found that in my Yak if the 109 dives on me and does below if I don't dive down to chase him but just wait for him to come up again I have a good chance of getting on his tail.  As best I can figure out the 109 can't really get in a knife fight with a Yak.  Best he can do is start out with a 500 ft altitude advantage and dive and zoom away until he again out of any danger and then circle back around and dive again.

If I am right about that just what can a Yak best do about that?  It seems if ever the 109 has the height advantage and does not loose it then there is not much the good Yak pilot can do about it.

Play aggressively and if possible drag the fight low. Don't let him gain speed or climb. If you hug him close and force him to maneuver constantly, you can keep the initiative and dictate the fight.

• Upvote 1

One useful tactic when a 109 climbs away from you is to stay level to maintain speed and try to stay underneath him. If you're close and/or fast enough you can then zoom up and get a shot. I do this often in the slow I-16. It will sap your E and can lead to disaster if you miss or another 109 is around. 

There are some general rules that apply to all air combat, but some misconceptions should be moved out of the way first. What is common in flight sims is that people perceive aerial combat as something of a duel. In real life it's not like that in most cases.

A typical scenario is this: you see the enemy first, you have the advantage (speed and altitude) you go in quick, blast away with whatever you have, bag a kill and get out fast. Going into a manoeuvring fight is taking a risk: you may have an inferior plane, you may get target fixated and lose situational awareness, you may just not be as good as the other guy. So don't take those chances, the 109 in theory is a better plane, so what you should do... is cheat! Attack only when you have the advantage, have some wingmen cover your back and if things go south, get out of there as fast as possible.

Several more things - if you are in a pickle, try to force the fight into a favourable situation, drag it low and tight. When turning offensively make sure to pull the nose up a bit first, trade that speed for altitude and then make the tight turn. And the most important one - be disciplined, being hell bent on getting that kill will get you killed instead. I cannot stress this enough, if you cannot get a victory quickly, separate, reassess the situation and try again or get out. Never let the fight drag on for too long.

It's not and honourable duel, it's a hunt - prey on the weak and unsuspecting, don't let yourself become the prey.

PS I know all this and still keep forgetting it, so it will take some time before you become a cold and calculating killer.

• Upvote 1

Shoot him with your guns.

More seriously, you're going to have a really hard time. If I'm facing a Yak in a 109 and we're not firing before merge, I will do nothing but attempt to outclimb until I have a clear E advantage.

Your only real chance is to pull some high deflection shots as you fly defensively. See if you can get him to waste E and seize any advantage that you end up gaining. It's really down to the individual pilot in this situation, with the 109 having a clear advantage.

Your only real chance is to pull some high deflection shots as you fly defensively. See if you can get him to waste E and seize any advantage that you end up gaining.

Oh yeah, one trick that sometimes works when you're chasing a climber is to fire some MGs and hope you can trick him into turning when in reality you're too far away to do any damage.

Edited by 19.GIAP//curiousGamblerr

Oh yeah, one trick that sometimes works when you're chasing a climber is to fire some MGs and hope you can trick him into turning when in reality you're too far away to do any damage.

Who actually falls for that but the newest of 109 pilots?

Who actually falls for that but the newest of 109 pilots?

You'd be surprised. Especially if you're in their blindspot and they can't actually see you. 

Plus the percentage of 109 pilots that are new is higher than any other plane because everything is automatic so people tend to fly it first. 

Edited by 19.GIAP//curiousGamblerr

Yak MGs can do quite a bit of damage so I wouldn't be surprised if all 109s manoeuvre even if it is only a bit. Plus even the most experienced 109 pilots may think that there is a closer Yak.

Von Tom

To sabotage the thread, how do you beat a Yak in a 109?  It seems like the only way you can win is by boom and zoom, if you get in a turn fight the Yak will quickly out turn you.

To sabotage the thread, how do you beat a Yak in a 109?  It seems like the only way you can win is by boom and zoom, if you get in a turn fight the Yak will quickly out turn you.

Boom, Zoom and forget, fly away, gain altitude, locate a new target. The only real way to consistently survive and come home with kills.

The main advantage the yaks have is un"realistic" energy retention in turns, better turn rate, better roll rate - basically the things you need to exploit any slight mistake the 109 pilot would do. Get higher than a 109 in a yak and you pretty much have yourself a sure kill - if the 109 dives away from you, do not follow, instead perform a shallow dive aiming to stay on his tail with higher E - the lower you go the more advantage yak has over the 109. And Yak will catch 109 in an extended chase as long as the yak had higher E and did not outright waste it in  a dive.

Edited by Semir
  • Upvote 1