Photo

Question for Luftpilots: Yak 1B?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GridiroN

GridiroN
  • Founder

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:58

So, with it's super aerodynmic hull, 50cal gun, teardrop cockpit, 24sec turn rate before YakFlaps™ it seems this is as close as the bolshies are going to get to an uberplane until the 7. None of my previous combat experience seems applicable; I've so far been trying to outclimb it as the G2's climb rate should almost 5m/s higher under 3K and literally double above 3K, but I just played about 6 rounds against Yak 1B's at altitude and I was literally hitting the service ceiling with 40-60 degree climbs and the yak was still there so clearly that's not going to work anymore. I'm curious what strategies others are using?

Edited by GridiroN, 03 January 2017 - 02:01.

1UjZMDj.png

#2 303_Kwiatek

303_Kwiatek
  • Founder

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:07

Change your favourit plane for Yak-1B no see other options :P

#3 Tripwire

Tripwire
  • Founder

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:47

Bring a friend, get him to wipe that Yak off your 6.

As the timeline progresses, it is only going to become harder.

Dog fighting 1v1 against a Yak up at 6k+ is quite an eye opener.  :o: 

If you are going to use climb to get enough advantage on your opponent, you need to get the job done before exceeding that Alt, because you loose the ability to maneuver well enough to effectively reverse the fight up there.

As for down on the deck, I find the climb in the G2 is still good against the Yak1B, but only if you don't start with too much of an energy disadvantage.

i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX 970 OC, SSD, TrackIR4, HTC Vive, MSFFB2 + Joytokey, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Win10

#4 303_Kwiatek

303_Kwiatek
  • Founder

Posted 09 January 2017 - 14:06

Yak1 Pf engine irl was optimized for low alt. Above 5 km it had less power output then even Db601A ( 109 Emil engine) so irl Yak 1 was poor performer at alt above 5 km but unfortunately in BOS it isnt true - Yaks still are good fighters even at higher alts (they are faster and better climber then should). So actually in BOS you got really lower chance to fight it succesfully and use RL 109 adventage. At low alt you have no chance against yak1b in 1 vs 1 and at high alt you got lower chance then you should. Only way is attack with decent height alt or with wingmann or just move to Yak1b and you will be the hero

#5 307_Tomcat

307_Tomcat
  • Founder

Posted 09 January 2017 - 14:17

Yak1b is uberplane all my squad team mates are saying this :) (pss this is secret).

#6 Norz

Norz
  • Founder

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:34

Yesterday I was followed by the Yak1b on the 109f4, alt 6500..7000 meters for about 2..3 minutes... all my previous experience, based on the original IL2, says that for any plane on the red side (1941..1942) it is not possible (except for Mig3, for sure) and finally I decided, for some reason, that just some 109F4 was behind me...

It will be great to see the speed graphs for the Yak1b, because Chuck's Aircraft Guide doesn‘t have it. I have decided to buy it just to test it on 7k but, unfortunately, the discount 50% is not active anymore. This post is not aimed to Change the Yak1b but just to know the characteristics; only after that one can understand how to fight it.

P.S. I am only 1..2 weeks in, because before the latest update my FPS were so low just not possible to fly:) For sure there are a lot of things to learn.

Edited by Aliaksandr_M, 10 January 2017 - 09:36.

#7 SuperEtendard

SuperEtendard

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:17

it seems this is as close as the bolshies are going to get to an uberplane until the 7.

The Yak-7 isn't going to be an uber plane. It's really a side grade of the Yak-1 (more armament but more weight), as such it is inferior to Yak-1b (performance wise)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users