Gambit21

Getting AI Ju52's to drop cargo/Troopers

"Attack Area" I'm assuming.

At least that's what I'm about to try.

Jim - looking at your "Manual - Attack a Factory" mission.

Would the group be the same, just with an "attack area" command instead?

Edit - treating like a level bombing mission for now.

Found an example of this from an old post.

Edited by Gambit21

...also as an aside.

In that mission Waypoint 2 is not target linked to waypoint 3 - is this intentional?

Edit - I see that it is intentional after looking at another mission you posted.

Can you explain why this is arranged this way?

Edited by Gambit21

Do I need the counter for a cargo or paratrooper drop mission?

I was just going to use an complex trigger output to a subtitle MCU.

Sorry for all the questions - new territory for me.

...also as an aside.

In that mission Waypoint 2 is not target linked to waypoint 3 - is this intentional?

Edit - I see that it is intentional after looking at another mission you posted.

Can you explain why this is arranged this way?

Waypoint 2 triggers the attack command, which takes over control of the Pe-2s to attack the factory. Destruction of the factory or bingo bombs triggers waypoint 3 to send the bombers home.

I haven't tried the cargo or paratroop drop yet so I'm unable to guide you on those questions yet. However, the counter that you mentioned in the attack a factory mission is to ignore multiple event messages from the factory (OnKilled) or Pe-2 leader (OnBingoBombs). I believe OnKilled is more likely to occur several times.

Edited by JimTM

Thank you for the clarification.

I'll rig it up in the morning and see how it goes.

I won't be back in front of the editor until later tonight, but just so I'm armed with as much info as possible...

It's my understanding that getting the AI to simply drop while flying along their route (no baked in circle) is currently impossible yes?

I just don't what to pull my hair out later trying to get this result.

I won't be back in front of the editor until later tonight, but just so I'm armed with as much info as possible...

It's my understanding that getting the AI to simply drop while flying along their route (no baked in circle) is currently impossible yes?

I just don't what to pull my hair out later trying to get this result.

Yes, they need to know what to attack.

I don't mean without a command, I mean without going into a circle first.

In the old editor the B-17's, or A-20's, Blenheims or whatever bomber I was working with would simply drop wherever I told them too without missing

a beat. Straight and level.

I was hoping I could get the same result with this new editor - but not possible as of your post from Feb of this year.

Just making sure this is still the case.

I don't mean without a command, I mean without going into a circle first.

In the old editor the B-17's, or A-20's, Blenheims or whatever bomber I was working with would simply drop wherever I told them too without missing

a beat. Straight and level.

I was hoping I could get the same result with this new editor - but not possible as of your post from Feb of this year.

Just making sure this is still the case.

I still do not think it's possible with the current editor.

• Upvote 1

Gambit21, I've attached a sample Ju52 cargo drop group. 

The Ju52 drops it's containers on the centre of an Area Attack MCU set to Attack Ground. I've also set a report Bingo Cargo from the Ju52 to a timer then to a turn for home waypoint.

Ju52 drop group.zip

• Upvote 4

Thank you very much Prangster - you were already going to get a credit on this campaign

(along with Jim, Monkey, Habu and others) because your guide got me started.

Much appreciated. Every time I see a new group and study the MCU's, I'm that much 

better in the editor.

• Upvote 1

I still do not think it's possible with the current editor.

OK - thanks.

Adding to my growing list for Han.

Works like a charm - thanks Prangster. They simply fly and drop - no circling.

The formation breaks up pretty badly after the drop...but I'll take it for now.

post-23599-0-32303100-1483176969_thumb.jpg

Have to dig up this thread, tried to get Ju52 to drop cargo and used prangsters sample group. When i change the loadout to cargo, there is no drop. 

In prangsters group ju52 weapons mod is set to MAB250x10 (Bombs that dont explode > supplies?).

Is it possible to drop cargo or is it just a loadout stat?

Bombs that don’t explode?

The cargo consists of canisters w/chutes.

4 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Bombs that don’t explode?

The cargo consists of canisters w/chutes.

looked at the chutes in slomo, looked more like bombs to me. Maybe be 250 bombs without fuse? And changing the loadout to cargo doesnt drop anything from the plane.

Not bombs.

”cargo” option is “dropped off” on the ground when opening the cargo door if I remember correctly. No animation involved.

Yes the bomb looking things are supply canisters. The cargo doors open on landing once stopped and empty

On 12/29/2016 at 8:56 PM, JimTM said:

Waypoint 2 triggers the attack command, which takes over control of the Pe-2s to attack the factory. Destruction of the factory or bingo bombs triggers waypoint 3 to send the bombers home.

THANKS for this tip, something i have been wrestling with Also what still puzzles me is how to start city fires and smoke etc AFTER the dropped bombs have exploded. J.

1 hour ago, jollyjack said:

THANKS for this tip, something i have been wrestling with Also what still puzzles me is how to start city fires and smoke etc AFTER the dropped bombs have exploded. J.

Block ‘on killed’ report to smoke activate

• Thanks 1

Can you guys still drop paratroopers / containers in current 4.002 version? I've tried to get Ju-52's to drop supply canisters or troopers, but when the attackArea command triggers they just seem to turn into zombies and keep running directly ahead until map ends? Only if you have cargo (which you cannot drop) the attackArea command kind of works and Ju-52's go to target area and keep circling there (as they cannot drop it). But the behaviour is different depending the loadout.

I've tried altitudes between 500-1000m and speed 210. No wind on the map.

Edited by Hanu

Do not forget to use an OnEvent trigger with BingoBombs to activate the next waypoint after the attack area where bombs/paratrooper are dropped. Otherwise they may run in circle (majority of cases) or do other weird things. You have also to change the priority of the waypoints and Attack Area. If you want to be sure they fly straight and drop even when attacked then use maximum priority between the last waypoint and AttackArea. After the drop the next waypoint you can use lower priority so that your lanes may try to escape incoming attackers.