samson

"COLD WINTER" scripted SP campaign

"Cold winter" is a scripted 11-missions SP campaign for IL-2 BoS&BoM twin instalation.
This means you have to own both theatres of war in game to play this campaign.
No premium crafts though.
It is a "free presentation"  of an old "Blinding Sun" campaign, which became the official expansion pack for IL-2 Sturmovik-FB "Stories of dive bomber"(or so) ; author - Vadim Davydov (vadson).
Me (samson) just replicated it for new IL-2.

13cd148ecbf4.jpg

Original old campaign contains 30 missions. The action takes place near Moscow in January 1942 and in July 1943 at Kursk. Now  it's only 11 missions at "Moscow front".

You'll fly MiG-3 in all missions as a squadron leader Lieutenant Sokolov.

41511a99a633t.jpg d37b2936ccb1t.jpg a15dcaa4bd22t.jpg

Instalation. Just unpack the folder into your "campaign" directory:

a12d4b5a7649t.jpg

Edited by samson
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 35

Fantastic! Thank you for all the work.

Was the "conversion" process from IL2 '46 to BoS difficult? It'd be great to recover some more of the old SP campaigns from '46.

(I have long-term ambitions to do a version of "Castaways" in BoS - slavishly copying the briefings and mission designs from the original campaign... With a little imagination, it might be possible... The player and the legendary Randy stuck behind enemy lines somewhere near V. Luki, perhaps...)

• Upvote 1

Was the "conversion" process from IL2 '46 to BoS difficult? It'd be great to recover some more of the old SP campaigns from '46.

Well, old missions give you good starting point: historical background, setting, etc... Briefing for sure!
And after that there is no easy way. You create a scene from a scratch and the way this "game engine" works promts you some creative solutions... And there is a lot of mistakes and time vasting... Though, expierence saves a lot, I guess.

Wow, many thanks, will give this a burl as soon as wife finishes organising what we are doing and with who today and tomorrow.

Devs this should be pinned

Edited by pilotpierre

Installed Ok, but now I have 2 cursors, one real and one bogus in BoS.

Moved Cold Winter to desk top and now back to one cursor????

Ohhh, this is fantastic!!!

I hope many more campaigns will roll into the sim.

Thanks a lot for making this one  :)

Just did the first Mission and it was great fun!

I managed do take the attacking Stukas by surprise and with an Altitude advantage. We shot down 4 of them while 2 where credited to me.

Nevertheless their tailgunners managed to hit me hard. My Mig was leaking Fuel and coolant while I became Injured. But I made it back to base in one piece.

The summary told me, that we had no losses and I was greeted by our Airfield Choir which gave me kind of goosebumps! Really cool!!! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Thank you very much Samson!

Although I had almost all old IL2 Forgotten Battles Expansion Packs, I can't remember "Stories of dive bomber". Maybe I will, when I have played the first few missions ;-)

Thank you very much Samson!

Although I had almost all old IL2 Forgotten Battles Expansion Packs, I can't remember "Stories of dive bomber". Maybe I will, when I have played the first few missions ;-)

109_img.jpg

109_img.jpg

Thank you, Samson! I am not sure, if this expansion pack was available in Germany, as I have no memory of this cover art. Anyway. Meanwhile, between the last two posts, I have played the first two missons of your campaign and I have to say - great! Very immersive! Good storytelling, Not too easy, not too difficult. And the music after landing... very cool and authentic!!! I hope you continue with creating such scripted campaigns! (One last word: I really liked you skins in the old IL2 days ;-)

Edited by Moebelwagen
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing with all to enjoy. Look forward to more action in this sim.

Cheers

Samson, thank you so much for all your hard work, I'm really looking forward to having a go at this . What a great community of enthusiasts, To you, and all the "Skinners", my thanks for adding to a great "Sim". :friends:

Wow!  This was my favourite campaign from the Il-2 series. Thank you Samson, I can't wait to play it again.  :salute:

Edit: I just downloaded the campaign and opened the files to have a look.  One of the things that made the original campaign so enjoyable was the well written briefings.  I noticed the ones that come with this campaign seem to have been created with some sort of translation program and are quite strange in English.  Would you find it useful to have the original eng briefing files or be interested in allowing a native English speaker to alter them for you?

Edit 2:  Here they are.  Just overwrite the existing ones and you're good to go...  http://www.mediafire.com/file/x36n0iff7521rkt/ColdWinter_New_Briefings.rar/file

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Upvote 2

Sampson, what is the third campaign on the RH side of yours in the OP and where can one get it?

Sampson, what is the third campaign on the RH side of yours in the OP and where can one get it?

I think it's a placeholder, the text seems to say "example [unknown] campaign"

It is "Example custom campaign" DL from DD142.

5 missions are quite simple (only fly into marked area, with some ignorable static targets on ground), and include all files required to scripted campaign.

Guys,

Sorry to be a thick git, but I appear to not be able to locate the  "campaign" directory to store the download.  I use Steam, so does this cause an issue?  Can anybody assist please?

Regards

Mechanical Engineer Haza!

SORTED FOUND IT UNDER STEAM FOLDER

Edited by Haza

Ace_Pilto 's right:

I think it's a placeholder, the text seems to say "example [unknown] campaign"

Wow!  This was my favourite campaign from the Il-2 series. Thank you Samson, I can't wait to play it again.  :salute:

Edit: I just downloaded the campaign and opened the files to have a look.  One of the things that made the original campaign so enjoyable was the well written briefings.  I noticed the ones that come with this campaign seem to have been created with some sort of translation program and are quite strange in English.  Would you find it useful to have the original eng briefing files or be interested in allowing a native English speaker to alter them for you?

Yeah, pal, proper english translation would be so wellcome! I made it by myself quickly editing automatic traslation for at least make them senceble. Sorry for that inconvenience.

Guys,

Sorry to be a thick git, but I appear to not be able to locate the  "campaign" directory to store the download.  I use Steam, so does this cause an issue?  Can anybody assist please?

Regards

Mechanical Engineer Haza!

SORTED FOUND IT UNDER STEAM FOLDER

Should be at "data" folder of the game. Please look at screenshot at first post.

• Upvote 1

Hello.

In my second mission "At Mojaisk" , after flying a few minutes, my framerate suddenly drops, from 90 to 35. The game begins to stutter, and enventually it chrashes to desktop. What might be the problem?

@loseth

I had this problem too....took me a while to figure out how to get around it...not sure what is causing this but what I did was after taking off and the last wing man is in the air I immediately turn back towards the airfield and fly the return route to the action point...avoiding all way points.  and staying far away form the area where the game crashed....for me it was always the same area...about half way between the first and second way point....But by doing it this way I was able to complete the mission.......after several tries of course..... ;) .....not a solution but a workaround....how it helps.

Guys, I will check that area.
It is somewhere at Vereya?

Does frame rate drop everytime? 

Cause I flew this mission in a day of release... Everything went smooth.  :(

Yes for me it goes form mid 50;s to mid 20;s then to the teens and crashes..granted I do not have the best rig but outside of that area on the second mission I have had no problems with the other missions....other than dying a lot.... :(

I have tried 5-6 times, and the framedrop starts just before I reach the little village Tatischevo, everytime. Then I tried CATHAOIRs solution, and this worked very fine :) Thank you.

Well, sorry for that and thank you for report. 
I've allready rearrange ground units and refreshed zip at the link at first post.

I am sorry, Samson but for my part it did not work. Its like hitting av wall. The movement form the smoke in Tatischevo seems normal, no stuttering there as I can see. 

Sorry for that. Though, if one day a thought flies into your head to give this campaign another chance, it's good to know that due to report at russian forum (yeah, the same) I've localized more or less the problem and "cut off" possible bugmaker. Further tests to be done.
Link at first post refreshed.

Edited by samson
  • Upvote 1

Just managed to complete the first mission after numerous tries. Can´t wait to fly the next one. Thanks for making this campaign samson  :)