Photo

New scripted campaign - a foot in the right direction but..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 =SqSq=headwarp

=SqSq=headwarp

Posted 25 December 2016 - 19:59

So I bought the new scripted campaign and I'm overly excited about this, as it is a step towards what made Il-2 1946 so great..

But I would like to see more features involved with scripted campaigns or even a career generator similar to 1946's system.

Now I didn't play it when it was new and popular as content was released for the game, but there are things about it in it's current state that I absolutely appreciate being an inexperienced "pilot".

I think the biggest thing I'd like to see implemented current and future scripted campaigns is the ability to choose your rank in the air force you're flying for.

In IL-2 1946 you could start from flight lead to the guy at the back of the flight or the lowest rank in the group.   As someone who's trying to learn as much as he can, this feature was very inviting in IL-2 and taught me that I wasn't flying to the full performance of the planes I was flying as I'd watch my flight lead and the rest of my flight go further into the distance as I tried to figure out how to operate CEM to the point of keeping up with them.    Once I got that figured out, it gave me opportunities to practice formation flight and even get to see some AI induced combat formations that I've not been able to experience otherwise, as I was not the flight lead.  I had someone's wing to park on and keep speed with. Heck flying in expert mode was more feasible because I could follow my flight leader and his orders and his headings.  And I think the AI in the game should be able to clearly communicate these things to you as a rookie pilot.

In my opinion that's what this game needs  to attract new pilots and to convince them that at minimum $30 for a Logitech extreme 3d pro is worth investing in to start them on their simming journey.    I know most experienced simmers likely focus on multiplayer but in my experience that doesn't work out to well for a new pilot. 

Scripted campaigns are a great way to get new pilots some experience and I don't believe thrusting them into the flight lead position is the way to go about it.  Personally I'd rather start from a lower rank and further back in the flight.  With some guy griping at me if I'm not following correctly.  It could be done better than il-2 1946,  however in my mind, that's a large part of what made Il-2 1946 such a great sim.  It put you in different scenarios, and gave you opportunities to take more or less responsibility as a part of a flight. 

I think if either BoS or BoM had anything like this at all, you'd probably see more new players coming over just by the word of mouth of the experience being derived from this sim.

*edited* - because I let myself make a comment about  a non il-2 game, its players, and aimed at a feature I hope never makes it to any other "flight sim" ever created. Fixed. 

Edited by headwarp, 25 December 2016 - 21:01.

EVGA z68, i5 2500k@4.5ghz, GTX 980Ti, 8gb DDR3 1600, Acer x34(3440x1440), TIR5 + Luke Clip, MSFFB2 + WH Throttle + MFG Xwinds + Logitech G13

I've invested too much to turn back now.  Do boys ever outgrow their toys? *Orders CH throttle quadrant*

#2 Custard

Custard

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:15

a career generator similar to 1946's system

You realise this is in the works right? It's intended to replace the existing campaign system and should arrive sometime mid next year.

0993dd3ba6.jpg

#3 6./ZG26_Asgar

6./ZG26_Asgar
  • Founder

Posted 27 December 2016 - 15:16

no he doesn't because people don't read. they don't care about the real world as long as they can annoy people with their pointless rants

#4 =SqSq=headwarp

=SqSq=headwarp

Posted 02 January 2017 - 14:29

I do know there is a career generator in the works.. but does that career generator consider the option of putting the player in a spot other than flight lead? :P That's what I'd like to see in consideration.   

no he doesn't because people don't read. they don't care about the real world as long as they can annoy people with their pointless rants

*edit* I may have overlooked and probably stick to the dev diaries that pop up when I launch IL-2, and playing maybe a couple times a week yeah I don't catch all of them.  but Yes..  a career generator was mentioned in the dev diary that led to me buying the SP campaign.   Speaking of reading, my post was about features coming with the career generator.  I'm pretty sure the suggestion forum or forums in general weren't put here for people to come make snarky comments and make assumptions about people based on a couple paragraphs but to discuss features and aspects of the game, the suggestion forum specifically to discuss features we'd like to see in this game that we all hope continues to develop into something more and more beautiful as the devs update it.  

You're welcome to disagree.. but my post clearly had a point.  Whose post was pointless here?  Did you add anything useful?  Dak below didn't even have to go as far as copy and pasting, while I thank him for doing so.  A simple "I think I read a dev diary where this feature was mentioned as hopeful but not priority" would've been appreciated just as much.  I've seen the il-2 bos community decsribed as "Helpful and friendly".  So let's do our part to keep it that way.. even if that means not replying to posts if all you're going to do is be negative and insult them.  Your being annoyed by my OP is your problem not mine. 

Edited by headwarp, 03 January 2017 - 03:44.

EVGA z68, i5 2500k@4.5ghz, GTX 980Ti, 8gb DDR3 1600, Acer x34(3440x1440), TIR5 + Luke Clip, MSFFB2 + WH Throttle + MFG Xwinds + Logitech G13

I've invested too much to turn back now.  Do boys ever outgrow their toys? *Orders CH throttle quadrant*

#5 Dakpilot

Dakpilot
  • Founder

Posted 02 January 2017 - 20:07

I think that flying as wingman is already being considered

DD#132

Unlike in present campaigns, in the Career mode all missions will be tied to the calendar and time of day, happening successively. Your personage will serve in a selected squadron day by day and the outcome of previous missions will influence the next ones. In general, the tour of duty of a squadron will be close to the historical one. You can choose a squadron to serve in depending on a plane you want to fly. In addition, each aircraft and AI pilot in your squadron will be tracked. Pilots can be lost in action and new ones will join the squadron while damaged aircraft will require time to be repaired. All pilots of the squadron, both player and AI ones, will have a personal combat score and receive new ranks based on it.

We can't be 100% sure we'll have the time to implement this, but we want to allow player to begin a career as wingman and become a wing leader and eventually a squadron commander. Squadron commander can plan new missions, correcting a flight path and assigning aircraft and pilots to carry it out

Cheers Dakpilot

i5 3570K at 4,46Ghz//H100i//P8Z77-I-DELUXE//16GB 1600mhz ram//Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC//Samsung Evo840 128gbSSD x2//LG 49" 3840 X 2160//MSFFB2// Saitek throttle quadrant//Win10-64bit

#6 =SqSq=headwarp

=SqSq=headwarp

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:53

I think that flying as wingman is already being considered

DD#132

Unlike in present campaigns, in the Career mode all missions will be tied to the calendar and time of day, happening successively. Your personage will serve in a selected squadron day by day and the outcome of previous missions will influence the next ones. In general, the tour of duty of a squadron will be close to the historical one. You can choose a squadron to serve in depending on a plane you want to fly. In addition, each aircraft and AI pilot in your squadron will be tracked. Pilots can be lost in action and new ones will join the squadron while damaged aircraft will require time to be repaired. All pilots of the squadron, both player and AI ones, will have a personal combat score and receive new ranks based on it.

We can't be 100% sure we'll have the time to implement this, but we want to allow player to begin a career as wingman and become a wing leader and eventually a squadron commander. Squadron commander can plan new missions, correcting a flight path and assigning aircraft and pilots to carry it out

Cheers Dakpilot

Thanks for pointing that out Dak. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users