Is it "our" BOS?

Fifi

I hope to god they put another couple of maps in the game when it goes for release... I don't care if it 'needs' to represent the conditions of the time. I'll get snow blind flying the game continuously over that terrain, lol!

Just a couple of smaller maps in the summer season will make a change... 777?... is anyone listening? :)

• 4 weeks later...

Nope.  Battle of Stalingrad was planned as the sequel to CLoD but 1C pulled the plug after quite a bit of work was put in as it didn't meet their development targets.  Most of the dev team had to fall on their sword's but some were recruited to join the new 1C Games Studio operation under Loft and Jason to develop this sim.

Here's the original BoS 109F4 cockpit.

G21.jpg

A bit embarrassing that this 'Strategy Informer' website doesn't seem that.....informed :blink:  

Now look at what high contrast, dark shadows can do to the F4's cocpit! It looks so alive!  :o:

79_vRAF_Friendly_flyer

Didn't Jason say that the models from BOM could be imported to BOS as they are, or am I dreaming?

DD_bongodriver

Didn't Jason say that the models from BOM could be imported to BOS as they are, or am I dreaming?

Yes, and they even showed us a screen grab of an imported model, then for some reason it got buried with weird claims that the models could not be used, all it would take is to set up the animations, I don't see how using someone elses 3d max model is different to using your own 3d max model.

• Upvote 2

Feathered_IV

I'll happily stand corrected then  :)

I'd been under the understanding that the parts breakdown of the complex 3D models (aircraft, not simple ones like buildings and whatnot) was different between the two sims, and reverse engineering one to fit the other was more work than starting again.

DD_bongodriver

an aileron is an aileron etc no matter who built the model, if something is at the raw stage of just being a 3ds max mesh then it can be adapted for import into any engine.

• Upvote 2

for some reason it got buried with weird claims that the models could not be used.

What allows you to claim that the dev claim about the imported models not being usable is weird?

Do you claim this dev claim is a lie?

ATAG_Slipstream

What allows you to claim that the dev claim about the imported models not being usable is weird?

Do you claim this dev claim is a lie?

I'm sorry, but Bongo is right.

I didn't realise the dev's were deities. Bongo and others paid their hard earned money to fund the project, so I think that give them the right to make any reasonable comment they wish on the project.

~S~ 

• Upvote 1

an aileron is an aileron etc no matter who built the model, if something is at the raw stage of just being a 3ds max mesh then it can be adapted for import into any engine.

modeling an aileron takes 20 minutes tops. Modeling and animating the gear for the entire different animation/physics system probably takes days. Same about animating all the different parts the plane is composed of. Animation in this case means setting them up engine-appropriately so they react properly when disintegrating. This is one of the biggest tasks when building planes for this engine. Also when modeling the plane and its internal parts you need to think ahead and set it up for the relevant damage system the game uses - what will be exposed, what will seperate and act on its own etc. This is all engine specific so it has to be done from scratch so just the external aircraft model, which doesnt take that long to make, will not save you much time, especially if you have to alter it extensively.

Textures were made from scratch as far as I know, which is also a huge part of the man hours required.

Unless the poly-counts were way off why could a model from the scrapped BoM project not be used in BoS?

There are countless examples of models meant for other projects being reused in other games and mods.

Yes - the external resolution model is the same between both sims.  But BoS uses a much lower resolution for the internal bits/cockpit, houses, towns, landscape textures, etc.

Yes, and they even showed us a screen grab of an imported model, then for some reason it got buried with weird claims that the models could not be used, all it would take is to set up the animations, I don't see how using someone elses 3d max model is different to using your own 3d max model.

Yes - it's easy to see all the plane models in for the cancelled project just happen to be the same exact planes for this new venture.  Just look at the original picture links.  The planes that will come later, as premium, or w/e obviously aren't built yet because they actually have to make those ones. 

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry, but Bongo is right.

I'm sorry, but you don't know if he's right or wrong, and you can't claim he's right without evidences.

I didn't realise the dev's were deities. Bongo and others paid their hard earned money to fund the project, so I think that give them the right to make any reasonable comment they wish on the project.

Nobody needs to be a deity in order not to called a liar.

If you don't have evidences to prove it, the minimum if you're a bit honest is to avoid claiming someone else claim is a lie, if you do it it's absolutly not a "reasonable comment".

This has nothing to do with the dev status, it's the same for everybody.

I will not wait for answers, I stop this before it goes worse.