TG1_Nil

Junkers 52 "Tante Ju" /Lisunov Li2/C47 ❤️Fan Club & Help

I ended up buying this thing because it reminded me so much of the C47 and there's just something special about flying a passenger/cargo plane in a war zone trying to drop supplies or paratroopers.

Also can't wait for C-47, dropping paratroopers during night time while being spotted by spotlights and shredded with flak AA, I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Into-the-Night-Matt-Hall.jpg

Edited by Trixie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Update 3.007!

Finally, the Paradrop and Canister Drop have been implemented in the Career mode! Enjoy!

5. New mission type for Career mode: Cargo paradrop for Ju-52/3mg4e;
6. New mission type for Career mode: Special squad paradrop for Ju-52/3mg4e;

25. Right Ju-52 engine animation fixed;

100. Ju 52/3mg4e gauge dials made clearer;

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12826-game-updates/?do=findComment&comment=694176

@Trixie Hi and welcome to this forum! I am glad you shared with why you like Tante Ju!

Good news: the C47 will come in the future, just after the Li2. Nothing has been announced regarding the C47 , but it is logical that they will do it . 

I Love the c47 so much ! I believe the Ju52 and the C47 are very special birds in their own unique way.

Edited by TG1_Nil
  • Like 1

Nil, your successful mission is through the eyes of blue tank crews with time code.

and through the eyes of red tank crews with time code

Yesterday I couldn't answer in a timely, I was is engaged in a battle over Abganerovo.

Edited by 1/SG2_Hummels
  • Thanks 1

@1/SG2_Hummels

Thank you very much!!

I LOVE this ground point of view!

Junkers 52 from the ground are so nice to see and hear: the sound is incredible and special.

That is why I love tank crew: a new perspective, and a fantastic interaction between tanks and planes.

Can not wait to have the Li2, U2 and the Fi156

• Upvote 1

This video reminds me how much this plane is so well modeled.

I am so glad that we have with plane with logistic loadout.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TG1_Nil said:

This video reminds me how much this plane is so well modeled.

I am so glad that we have with plane with logistic loadout.

Titles and tank scene remind me of the 1993 movie with the same name...

• Like 1

Dunno if this is the place to ask but can someone explain to me how to taxi in a straight line? I have wheel brakes mapped to toe brakes in my peddles, and I understand that they are essentially throttle controls for L/R engines. What I don't understand is why the plane keeps on turning in a circle long after I've let go of the "brake" on one side. If both engines are at equal throttle, and wheel brakes are no longer engaged, shouldn't the plane move forward in a semi-straight line? Yet I have to constantly compensate in the other direction and can basically only taxi like a snake.

Rudder seems to have very minimal effect on the ground. I have enough dead zone so it should never trigger toe brake accidentally.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PandaCheese said:

What I don't understand is why the plane keeps on turning in a circle long after I've let go of the "brake" on one side. If both engines are at equal throttle, and wheel brakes are no longer engaged, shouldn't the plane move forward in a semi-straight line?

A plane is large and builds up considerable momentum when you are rotating it on the vertical axis. Conversely, it takes a big push to get i to turn, but once it does it will keep doing so, unless you apply equal force to stop the turn. Centering the controls will not give you that. You have to actively stop yaw movement until you are going considerably fast to build up aerodynamic stability.This is why you must not pivot turn an aircraft as the Ju-52.

• Like 1

@PandaCheese Of course it is the place to ask! welcome to the forum and thanks for asking.

It is a very good question you ask.

I will try to answer it.

First of all, the tailwheel is free so we have no control over it.

Second, the center of gravity is way behind the main gear so it tends to go forward so making the aircraft turn on the ground. 

How to avoid that? simple: take into account your  yaw speed (spin speed). Try to make it always low, the lowest possible:

Past a certain yaw speed, the aircraft will be out of control (because of the huge momentum like @ZachariasX explained. So when you turn, turn slowly.

Use brakes and apply a lot of power to counter the yaw speed.

Takes a little bit of practice.

If Spins occurs at the end of the landing, apply  60% power as soon as your wheels are on the ground

Does it helps you? Please tell us!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, PandaCheese said:

Rudder seems to have very minimal effect on the ground.

Maybe I can add this, rudder on the ground is about the only control where sudden hard inputs are even advisable. You must prevent your aircraft to gain momentum in a „swing“. Do everything to prevent that. Once it starts to swing around, you will become a passenger.

This sim I find to be very benign in that matter, giving controls significant effect early on. But in reality, don‘t count on all rudder to give you more contol over your tail dragger than to go straight to where you trimmed and aimed your aircraft originally. Everything else is riding on a prayer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PandaCheese said:

Dunno if this is the place to ask but can someone explain to me how to taxi in a straight line? I have wheel brakes mapped to toe brakes in my peddles, and I understand that they are essentially throttle controls for L/R engines. What I don't understand is why the plane keeps on turning in a circle long after I've let go of the "brake" on one side. If both engines are at equal throttle, and wheel brakes are no longer engaged, shouldn't the plane move forward in a semi-straight line? Yet I have to constantly compensate in the other direction and can basically only taxi like a snake.

Rudder seems to have very minimal effect on the ground. I have enough dead zone so it should never trigger toe brake accidentally.

I had similar problem with the 52, one thing that helps me is to never cut off the throttle completely while taxiing, instead I use about 45% when I have to slow down for a sharp turn (and apply either left or right brake). If you fall under ~25% throttle value, the 52 applies both brakes for you and you can't steer it with them to counter the inertia...

• Like 1

Appreciate all the advice guys!  With some practice I don't spin out as much now, though on first landing of course I immediately forgot about the 25% throttle rule. 😅

Are you supposed to use rudder at all while taxiing? As many have said the authority is tiny compared to the wheel-brake-linked-throttle, and it gets a little awkward physically to apply rudder and toe brake at the same time.  For now I'm mostly using quick taps of the wheel/toe brakes and watching the slip indicator like a hawk.  Taxiing can be taxing I guess, though the bus handles beautifully once airborne.

Moving on to other topics...I started a career but the mission variety seems to be pretty lacking.  Am I right that there are basically only three built-in career mission types: cargo delivery, cargo paradrop, and troop paradrop?  The last one I've yet to see once.  Haven't had time to learn PWCG yet.  Is there more variety there for Ju-52?

Part of the reason that convinced me to buy this plane is this very atmospheric video of a night op.  This must be a custom made mission right?  In vanilla do they use trucks and flares to guide you to the runway in the dark?  The other part was I figured I could focus on learning to fly and navigation before getting into the shooty parts.  AFN works great for finding home, though I appear to have zero course-keeping skill. 😅  Coming from some XP11 experience, I find that BOX's map is a lot easier to use, far as matching visual features go, compared to VFR charts from that game.

Edited by PandaCheese
  • Like 1

I think PWCG has a little more variety, and certainly had some night missions for the ju52... I remember one mission getting caught by searching and trying to make it home with one engine out and another on fire...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murleen said:

I think PWCG has a little more variety, and certainly had some night missions for the ju52... I remember one mission getting caught by searching and trying to make it home with one engine out and another on fire...

Any tricks to navigating at night when you can't make out land features very well?

• Like 1

IL 2 missionplanner make you plan your route and speed. Enabeling you to use your watch to control distance. Beside there are possible to see landmarks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PandaCheese said:

Any tricks to navigating at night when you can't make out land features very well?

If the mission has Non Directional Beacons, you can fly "From" a beacon on a certain course and it will also give you the range from a beacon.  See my posts in this thread (sorry they don't have the post's numbered) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plurp said:

If the mission has Non Directional Beacons, you can fly "From" a beacon on a certain course and it will also give you the range from a beacon.  See my posts in this thread (sorry they don't have the post's numbered) 

I've used that, but they would only be attached to airbases not some random drop location out in the wild.

Yet another question...does anyone have an idea about the fuel consumption? Some ballpark liter per km figure?

Edited by PandaCheese
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, PandaCheese said:

I've used that, but they would only be attached to airbases not other locations.

Yep, that is all you need

• Like 1

NRB discussion reminded me of a mission I created messing around with the ME.

Here is a link to a bare bones cargo run mission into the pocket in the snow and heavy overcast.  It can be used just for a fun Ju-52 mission or to train on the use of the NRBs.

EDIT:  If mission does not load, delete the msnbin file and then retry.

Edited by Plurp
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/10/2019 at 12:40 PM, ZachariasX said:

This sim I find to be very benign in that matter, giving controls significant effect early on. But in reality, don‘t count on all rudder to give you more contol over your tail dragger than to go straight to where you trimmed and aimed your aircraft originally. Everything else is riding on a prayer.

You should fly the Ju 88 more :)

All bombed up, there's a good chance you'll duck up your landing gear. Especially on a DF server.

But that's a diferent story altogether...

On 1/11/2019 at 5:00 PM, PandaCheese said:

Are you supposed to use rudder at all while taxiing? As many have said the authority is tiny compared to the wheel-brake-linked-throttle, and it gets a little awkward physically to apply rudder and toe brake at the same time.  For now I'm mostly using quick taps of the wheel/toe brakes and watching the slip indicator like a hawk.

The authority of the rudder varies with the power applied. If there's some prop-wash over the controls, rudder might help, bt at close to idle, there's little airflow to play with.

Unless on instruments, rely on looking outside whether your're slipping or skidding. I only use the ball for trimming when VFR.

Coming from some XP11 experience, I find that BOX's map is a lot easier to use, far as matching visual features go, compared to VFR charts from that game.

The default X-Plane VFR charts only show topography (high/ low terrain) and don't discriminate between forrests, agricultural land or urban areas.

BoX's maps are much more detailed (akin to a normal map you'd take on flying) in that regard.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Appreciate all the advice guys!  With some practice I don't spin out as much now, though on first landing of course I immediately forgot about the 25% throttle rule. 😅

Are you supposed to use rudder at all while taxiing? As many have said the authority is tiny compared to the wheel-brake-linked-throttle, and it gets a little awkward physically to apply rudder and toe brake at the same time.  For now I'm mostly using quick taps of the wheel/toe brakes and watching the slip indicator like a hawk.  Taxiing can be taxing I guess, though the bus handles beautifully once airborne.

Moving on to other topics...I started a career but the mission variety seems to be pretty lacking.  Am I right that there are basically only three built-in career mission types: cargo delivery, cargo paradrop, and troop paradrop?  The last one I've yet to see once.  Haven't had time to learn PWCG yet.  Is there more variety there for Ju-52?

Part of the reason that convinced me to buy this plane is this very atmospheric video of a night op.  This must be a custom made mission right?  In vanilla do they use trucks and flares to guide you to the runway in the dark?  The other part was I figured I could focus on learning to fly and navigation before getting into the shooty parts.  AFN works great for finding home, though I appear to have zero course-keeping skill. 😅  Coming from some XP11 experience, I find that BOX's map is a lot easier to use, far as matching visual features go, compared to VFR charts from that game.

PandaCheese, I advice you with pleasure (the others pilot too  am sure!) . I love so much transports plane...

Are you good at taxing now? at landing? The Junkers 52 is a very subtle plane to handle on the ground.

we are supposed to use rudder on taxing, it helps a little bit. We have to use it anyway with brake if we have 1 axe for throttle as it cut automatically the right or left engine.

So we are yawing with thrust mostly. Thus , as full thrust takes some time to be from 0% to full, we have to anticipate our turns and use braking in advance.

Watching the needle (turn indicator) is a very neat practice because it is extremely sensitive and give you an early indication about when your plane is yawing so you can anticipate your turns

Dreht instrument small.jpg

Before the Junkers 52 came out, the devs wrote:

The Ju-52 controls are somewhat unusual, for example, its wheel brakes are engaged by pulling back the engine control levers while the flaps are operated using the same handle as the adjustable stabilizer. However, it is possible to unlink these controls and adjust the stabilizer without touching the flaps. Other unique features are a tail wheel brake, corrugated fuselage and wing plating, hanging rudders and flaps, fixed-pitch propellers and non-parallel thrust vectors of the wing engines. Its design represents the transitional period between the wars (1920-1930’s) where new designs and increasing technology led to experimentation with some odd results. The Ju-52 was an iconic plane from this period in aviation history and its usefulness kept it flying all throughout WWII

Moving to missions, there is 3 types only in the career corresponding with the 3 modifications.

PWCG has more missions type I believe, you should try it!

Have you tried the users missions? you will find links on the first message of this topic. Please take a look. they are outstanding!

I Fly central made videos about navigation: Have a look at them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHfRpM_Yc8Y&t=299s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBenHtzSjYE&t=79s

BOX maps are very good, easy to navigate with them, you are right!

At some FNBF Friday Night Bomber Flight events, the Junkers 52 is available for very interesting missions . I TONS of fun with them!

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/23544-friday-night-bomber-flight-topic/?do=findComment&comment=721089

Have fun with the Junkers 52 and do not hesitate to ask question, share your thoughts, opinion, screens, videos... I read your messages with so much pleasure!

Edited by TG1_Nil
  • Upvote 1

Dear Followers, good news ahead!

Question : The U-2VS was the first aircraft developed by a third-party developer. Are there plans to continue with that model in the future? Related question: Is the Li-2 (or C-47/DC-3) still planned?

Answer: Jason: “Yes, that is correct. The U-2VS was built by our friends at Yugra Media. They have a contract to build the Li-2 and maybe a C-47 if that works out, but we’re a long way from that at the moment. The U-2 was a very intensive process that took more of our own time than we had hoped. I’m still hopeful the Li-2 will happen as planned, but until I know for sure I can’t say more. Yugra is also making our Flying Circus planes and they are still learning how to make them efficiently and with high quality. Making planes from scratch or revising older ones up to our standards is a challenge even for an experienced team like Yugra. But they are making real strides.

https://stormbirds.blog/2019/02/06/part-1-an-interview-with-jason-williams-and-daniel-tuseev-il-2-great-battles-series/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TG1_Nil said:

Dear Followers, good news ahead!

I think that depends on whether your glass is half full or half empty....

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SCG_BOO said:

I think that depends on whether your glass is half full or half empty....

I think it's hard to get hyped for a plane that might be 2 years away from release, but it's good news that the Li-2 and C-47 are still "planned". 

Grt M

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SCG_BOO said:

your glass is half full

That is the spirit!

12 minutes ago, I./ZG1_Dutchvdm said:

I think it's hard to get hyped for a plane that might be 2 years away from release,

I waited and hoped for the Junkers 52 and the U2 during 12 years

I am waiting the Dc3 family since 14 years. 

Two more years?

Fine!! 😁

Edited by TG1_Nil
  • Like 2

I just read it! Sounds like wonderful news. After all, if they manage the Li-2, then the C-47 will be all right. Please airplane God listen to my prayer and give us these two treasures. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TG1_Nil said:

That is the spirit!

I waited and hoped for the Junkers 52 and the U2 during 12 years

I am waiting the Dc3 family since 14 years. 

Two more years?

Fine!! 😁

I really think the unyeilding love given to the JU52 by Nils and his converts combine with help given to those asking has seen its use spread a lot further that what may have been. Hopefully this alone is enough to encourage the deveopment of the DC3 variants in spite of a small number of (very repeative) negative comments sometimes made about resources, time an the urgent nay essential requirement for even more variants of 109 and Spitfire. 

All power to you Nil!!

• Like 2

@SCG_BOO I am so grateful for your comment. A big thank from my whole heart.

Combat missions are fine, but sometimes, transport mission are fun!

I only fly Junkers 52 (and a little U2) thanks to its logistic capability.

I can understand the negative comments, they desperately wants more variants of their favorite fighters.

And suddenly, a big slow fatty ass plane come.

That is so the total opposite what they want!

However, we have to care not only for ourselves , but also for others.

With transports, you do not need a fancy tracking device, nor a fancy screen of configuration to see contacts at 10kms away.

You just need basic computer (I play on an old laptop) , some fellow pilots to fly with, and some yaks and Il2s to scare you!

That is what I love , the simplicity , the fun , and the Adrenalin I feel when I sneak around enemy planes.

What about you @SCG_BOO?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TG1_Nil said:

What about you @SCG_BOO?

The Grace.

Its a big old bird where the rudder control makes a  great difference in a co-ordinated turn. Its a thing where things can go wrong on takeoff if you forget how the brakes work and in a horribly slow but fascinating way and nothing beats picking a route A-B and flying below the treeline as much as possible. Its also a perfect bird to learn how to navigate at low level in since its so stable and dare i say "slow". 

Then theres the fun of exploiting its STOL capabilites and scaring 109s lining up, the simplicity of its engines and the "never gets old" way its flaps and stabs are linked and unlinked. 

Theres also the joy in humming the theme to "Where Eagles Dare" as you fly though the mountains in Kuban and working out where the para drops will hit the ground.

Did i mention flying sideways? Theres that too. 

Finally the JU52 gives a player a fine seat in which to just enjoy some of the scenery in BOS in a nice relaxing thoughful maner......until the yaks rock up anyhow. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@SCG_BOO You said it all!

the coordinated turn is a blast, it takes a lot of practice to do them precisely. 

The ground handling is very realistic and enjoyable once we master it.

Great video here!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TG1_Nil said:

Listen to the startup sound at 4:20! amazing😍!

How can one hate this bird????

I really, really hope we will see this beauty one day soon in Great Battles.

• Upvote 2

Not sure if I've mentioned this before, well maybe ten or fifteen times, but these cargo planes are just begging for a tricky high mountainside landing strip. High winds, bad visibility, and a dedicated one-chance-or-die landing scenario.

That would be good fun.

• Upvote 4