Danziger

Danziger's 4k MiG Condition(Updated 20181031)

UPDATED 20181030Link is up again. I have been making more corrections to some panel lines on the bottom and that means more corrections for rivet lines and screws locations and of course all the alpha and normal map needed it as well. I have some different skins in the skin pack as I still need to do some twerking with my other skins and I will release them when they are in a state of completedness. I have discarded the landing gear mod for now until I can get all the bugs sorted. There is still the details inside the flaps and gear bays, it is just the default grey colour instead of matching the underside paint. I have also went back to using the original template colours to get this more official looking. Skinners can always change colours to taste as I often do. Let me know if there are any more bugs to be found.

As you can see from the date of the OP, this has been a long time in the making. Work, family, school, and just pure procrastination kept me away from it for a while. This all started because when the MiG-3 was first released around Xmas 2015, it needed a lot of corrections. I had never made a skin in my life. I had always used MS Paint to draw ugly pictures. When I first started this template, I was brand new to Gimp. I literally drew panel lines with a pencil tool one pixel at a time then copied and pasted to make lines. I knew what I wanted in my mind but it took a long time for my skills to get there. I had originally passed this project off to ICDP as I knew it would probably take me forever to finish this. I have stolen a few things from him such as the screws from Yak-1B template and the small stone metal chips from the 190A8 template. The list of changes is way too much for me to remember. I have added:

New lines, screws, rivets, weathering, shadows, parts, wheels, tires...

I have made the landing gear bay interiors from scratch. The original is just blank. 

I am including a pack of some generic skins and a couple of historical skins. There are three types of alpha. Very matt, semigloss and high gloss. I have included the alpha template as well.

There are still a few corrections needed for the MiG. Hopefully when they find some time the 3d artist can look at it. If they make 3d corrections, will update this template and normal map as there are a couple of small scoops that will be affected. It's actually a good thing they didn't make the MiG perfect to begin with. If they had, I probably would never have learned how to do all of this stuff. So I guess it's true that every cloud has a double edge knife.

Thanks to all of the people that helped me out ( @ICDP @LizLemon @Zargos @PatCartier @DetCord12B @KpgQuop @6./ZG26_5tuka @szelljr @RaFiGer@=FB=VikS) and thanks to the dev team for the awesome sim!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/p24y709agjp9fs8/Danzigers4kMiGPack.7z/file

2018_10_30__10_2_28.jpg

2018_10_30__10_4_36.jpg

2018_10_30__10_7_5.jpg

2018_10_30__10_8_10.jpg

2018_10_30__10_9_27.jpg

2018_10_30__10_10_19.jpg

2018_10_30__10_15_0.jpg

2018_10_30__12_3_42.jpg

Edited by Danziger
Updated
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

There is a third solution you could do which I used. Make the black lines with 1 pixel thicknes. Now create a second layer of lines, shift it 1 up/down and 1 left/right and turn it white. Make sure the black lines overlay the white ones.

What this does is creating a nice contrast for the black line so it appaers even thinner while the white ones add some shading to the lower panels edge. Both lines should fill the bump map engravement without making it look like one solid thick line.

• Upvote 3

Ok I've found a much better looking and easier way to do my lines. My Xmas present was a book on MiG piston fighters so I've been nose deep in that and finding things to redo. So I'm going to start over again :)

• Upvote 2

Sorry guys I haven't been able to make any progress on this over the holidays. We have all been down with the flu and my wife's father was killed new years day in an accident on his ship while leaving Holland. We have been making arrangements and preparations for her to get emergency leave from her unit and fly home to Poland for the funeral and to help her mother. 

My sympathies and thoughts are with you and your family.

Thing like this put it all in perspective.

• Upvote 1

Oh man, so sorry to hear that Borys.

Hope the best for you all. Take all the time you need to focus on your family.

• Upvote 1

Thank you guys :)

I know most people hate their in-laws but I like mine better than my own parents as sad as that sounds. He was probably the best man I have ever met. He was still doing a job he loved at 69 years old. He was supposed to retire in May. He just celebrated his birthday on the 29th and his 46th wedding anniversary. He was extremely smart and originally wanted to be a fighter pilot but was disqualified for medical reasons. He still loved aviation and knew more than I do about it. He lived most of his life in communist Poland PRL and it was nice to see his face light up when we took him to aviation museums when they came to visit us in Florida. He originally started working in the shipyard as a designer. He was there in 1970 on Black Thursday in the Gdansk shipyard when they Solidarity movement started. He wanted to work on the sea so he came on board as a nobody washing the deck and became a mechanic and worked his way up to the engineering officer in charge of all mechanics. He is that type that can master whatever they attempt.

He was always happy and proud of his family and home. I first met him on the day before my wedding. I have no idea why he liked me but for some reason he did. He was always interested in talking with me and always giving me another beer hahaha. I sealed the deal when I gave him a grandson. It was his last want in life. I have never seen anyone so proud of a child before. Of course for my side of the family it was no big deal just another kid. My son spent a year in Poland with his grandparents while I was on the road and my wife was in Korea. They had just lost their only son so I think it helped them a lot. My father-in-law was always happy and had a great enjoyment of life. Definitely he had a good life. 

post-30291-0-35100800-1483623609_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

I made some progress. I am still not sure about panel lines. I am sure that the lines in the bump map will have to be edited and made smaller. I have tried experiments with different techniques and at the end of the day it is still very obvious when the light shines on it. The weathering on it is old and will be replaced. The cowling latches and Dzud locks (big screw head looking things) are all done. You can see the difference between the 2k and 4k panel lines on the wings. Left wing is 2k and right wing is 4k. I have also been working on other little details. My goal is to completely redraw everything I can and add details that are missing such as on the insides of the wheel bays. 

post-30291-0-62043200-1483820076_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-83227900-1483820079_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-67582100-1483820081_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-69521400-1483820083_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-16376700-1483820086_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-17776300-1483820088_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-79385000-1483820089_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-21606700-1483820091_thumb.jpg

Edited by BorysVorobyov
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Panel lines almost complete. On the right side of fuselage is just plain lines. On the left side I added a set of panel line highlights. It isn't very noticeable on the green but shows up well on the black. 

post-30291-0-91410200-1483842733_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-97378200-1483842735_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-25333300-1483842737_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-13745200-1483842739_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Sorry guys I haven't been able to make any progress on this over the holidays. We have all been down with the flu and my wife's father was killed new years day in an accident on his ship while leaving Holland. We have been making arrangements and preparations for her to get emergency leave from her unit and fly home to Poland for the funeral and to help her mother. 

Very sorry for your loss.

• Upvote 1

I have been busy with tons of rivets and screws. All of the latches and dzud locks are complete as well as most of the screws. I have all of the top and sides fuselage rivets as well. I just need to finish the bottom and wings. I have also been working on the wheel disc and tyre. If I could make a formal request to the devs. The tread pattern on the stock tyre is more or less the correct pattern but it is far too large scale. The original had very thin grooves and more grooves in the tread. I am working on fixing it but... the stock tread pattern is also present in the bump map. Could this be removed and made smooth?

Also panel lines are 99.9% complete. I just want to add some around the chin scoops that were not on the original template.

post-30291-0-98645800-1484099751_thumb.png

post-30291-0-98308500-1484100059_thumb.jpg

Edited by BorysVorobyov
  • Upvote 3

Hi guys, I do not think I will be able to finish this in a reasonable time frame with the small amount of time per day I have to work on it. There are a lot of things in real life taking all of my time lately. I will be happy to pass on what I have so far to anyone who wants.

Hi Borys.  I can take what you have and complete it eventually as it would be a shame to waste what you have done.  Though I am finishing the Pe-2 Series 87 now and have started work on on the I-16.  I would estimate I could begin working on it within 2 weeks.

PM me a link if you are happy enough with that.

Hi guys, I do not think I will be able to finish this in a reasonable time frame with the small amount of time per day I have to work on it. There are a lot of things in real life taking all of my time lately. I will be happy to pass on what I have so far to anyone who wants.

Hey Borys,

It is a shame you won't have the time. You have done a great job so far. 

I don't think I have the time to do it anytime soon. My Bf 109 project is going to last for a while. 

I am sure you can find someone to do it, though. 

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

I will still work on mine but it will be a very long time before it is finished. I don't think the guys will want to wait so long for it. I have to learn how to make proper weathering and such. I am still very new to skinning and using gimp.

Hi Borys,

As far as I'm concerned, weathering, paint chipping and so on are not important for a template.

Any skinner should be able to make that by his own.

What's really matter in a template are panel lines, rivets, stencils, internal parts and may be a basic paint scheme.

If I can advise you, focus on these essentials and leave the rest to skinners !

:biggrin:

Edited by UF_Zargos

Hi Borys,

As far as I'm concerned, weathering, paint chipping and so on are not importante for a template.

Any skinner should be able to make that by his own.

What's really matter in a template are panel lines, rivets, stencils, internal parts and may be a basic paint scheme.

If I can advise you, focus on these essentials and leave the reste to skinners !

:biggrin:

Exactly correct.  I would recommend that most people should learn their skills by tweaking and doing their own work on weathering and details.

I have been busy with tons of rivets and screws. All of the latches and dzud locks are complete as well as most of the screws. I have all of the top and sides fuselage rivets as well. I just need to finish the bottom and wings. I have also been working on the wheel disc and tyre. If I could make a formal request to the devs. The tread pattern on the stock tyre is more or less the correct pattern but it is far too large scale. The original had very thin grooves and more grooves in the tread. I am working on fixing it but... the stock tread pattern is also present in the bump map. Could this be removed and made smooth?

Also panel lines are 99.9% complete. I just want to add some around the chin scoops that were not on the original template.

attachicon.gif2017_1_11__1_50_27.png

attachicon.gifMiG1-MiG3_Mushroom-6121_153.jpg

Borys, that looks excellent.

So it's been a really long time since I've posted any update or really had a lot of time to work on my template. I have spent a lot of time going over photos of wartime MiGs, diagrams and up close photos of the restored MiGs.

I have in my MiG 3d model thread gone over some inconsistencies in our version of the MiG. It seems like most details were based on wartime MiGs but a few key things were based on modern restored MiGs with Allison engines. Along with some other minor details being incorrect and some others missing completely, it made the MiG always look a bit off to my eyes. I concluded that almost all of these details could be fixed by a texture and normal map overhaul. I've been reworking the template to correct the mistakes and missing details. I'm not very proficient in gimp so it's taking me ages. I'm also learning to make the normal map.

I have reported the 3d model deficiencies to the proper authorities but I was sure and they are sure that there won't be time free in the schedule to make corrections until after Bodenplatte. Which is fine as it gives me time to get this perfect.

I wasn't going to release this until the 3d model was fixed but the only things that won't line up are a couple of very small air scoops that wouldn't be noticeable until zoomed in. So once I get this in a state comfortable for release I will put it out and just update the panel lines and normal map when the model gets updated.

So far I've relocated panel lines mainly around the engine cowlings and panels as the current ones are based on the restored MiG with Allison engine and completely different panels to fit the different engine.

I've added tons and tons of missing rivets and screws. 

I've added details to the lower engine cowling, radiator fairing and oil coolers that were left out. 

I've also been tweaking the template in general. I've taken out all but the actual essential shadows from the essential shadows layer. There were a lot of not so necessary shadows around the fuselage and wings that made skins look really grainy in places. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

I admire your dedication. Well done! Looking forward to the result!

Here is some more progress. I am working now on weathering and the normal map. I am getting the hang of weathering. The hardest part is figuring out the normal map. This is not an original work by any means. I have stolen a few things from various other templates by @ICDP and used them for greater detail on the MiG. 

2018_9_26__13_4_23.jpg

2018_9_26__13_5_33.jpg

2018_9_26__13_5_48.jpg

2018_9_26__13_6_10.jpg

2018_9_26__13_9_15.jpg

2018_9_26__13_9_57.jpg

2018_9_26__13_11_11.jpg

• Like 1

I've been working on correcting the interior landing gear bays. Just when you think are finally finished with lines and rivets, you find a bunch more you need to make...

2018_10_4__14_34_28.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 4