Photo

How to land?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Nic727

Nic727

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:55

Hi,

This question is weird I know. I played 1946 a lot, but now I'm coming to BOS/BOM. I'm trying the small tutorial mission, but I have problem with landing with the LaGG-3. In my difficulty settings I have automatic engine management and radiator management since it's not the same as Il2 1946. In 1946 for radiator it was "r" and it was changing with levels. Now it look a bit complicated and we have mixture control and RPM. Whatever, all I have is automatic, so I don't understand why my plane is not stopping.

I have throttle at 0%, flap down (is there levels for that? I just press "F" and that's it?) and it just go very fast and not slowing down, so impossible to stop when touching the ground.

Any idea?

Thank you ;)

#2 HippyDruid

HippyDruid
  • Founder

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:21

Are you using the wheel brakes? Check the default key binding in the options.

"Poppy Park" 

Blokes in Zee Brandenburg a Rise of Flight Parody.

#3 AndyJWest

AndyJWest
  • Founder

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:41

Unlike the Yaks, the LaGG 3 (like the La 5) has incremental positioning for the flaps - you'll need to hold down the relevant key until you've reached the appropriate setting (full down for an engine-on landing, I think). There is a flap position indicator on the far left of the instrument panel. Like most Soviet aircraft, the LaGG 3 uses a brake button on the control column, rather than pedals - make sure you are using the right key. You can hear a hiss as the pneumatic brakes operate if you listen carefully. And finally, try to do a three-point landing, if you want a short landing run. 

If you are really struggling with landings, practice with the IL-2 first - it is very docile, and will get you familiar with the technique without the frustrations that come with the fighters.

#4 PFR_Bearkiller72

PFR_Bearkiller72
  • Founder

Posted 23 December 2016 - 18:40

Try reducing your speed before you turn into final. In old Il-2 you could do some tricks, you can't in BoS/M/K because the FM here is much more
sophisticated.

My basic advice would be to enter the final leg with no more than barely 300kph. Align the plane with the runway and lower the undercarriage.

This should help you reducing your speed very quickly. Keep the A/C's nose on the glidepath using the throttle. Try not to use the elevator, if possible.

Once your speed has dropped below 250kph, lower the flaps, and reduce throttle - don't set it to idle. If you have to apply gas to get the nose up, the

torque will certainly make the plane sway around the longitudinal axis giving you troubles.

Your approach timing should be set to the point, that your A/C has an indicated airspeed of about 200-220 kph, when crossing the runway's threshold.

Then slowly idle her out and gently lift her nose into a 3-point attitude and let her settle herself to a gentle touchdown at about 170kph.

Patience is the trick. Never excercise a hectic, forced landing. Take your time, there's no shame in going around a second time.

If your crate is already riddled with bullet holes, bail out near your base. ;-)

Edited by SK_Bearkiller72, 23 December 2016 - 18:42.

Airkooled rULeZ. (o\!/o)

Down here as well as up there...  :cool:                             

#5 Nic727

Nic727

Posted 23 December 2016 - 19:31

Thank you everyone. Now that I know how flaps work, it's much easier to slow down lol. Also thank you for all advices.

#6 Nic727

Nic727

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:01

Me again,

​I didn't play a lot since I have the game, but I played my first two online games and learned a lot of stuffs since I need to know engine management and everything else.

So just to be sure it's ok... I was with LaGG3 and Il2 and that's what I had.

RPM at 100% everytimes

Radiator and water radiator between 80-100%...

Mixture at 100% at low altitude and around 70% at very high altitude (+3500m)

The only thing is that my plane is slow compared to other... Whatever, I will continue playing and will learn more in the coming weeks... In Il2 1946 I was only touching radiators, but not mixture and other stuffs, so it's new for me...

About landing, how to land correctly? Everytimes I'm touching ground, my plane start spining for no reason... How can I fixe that?

Thank you very much :)

#7 Maple_X

Maple_X
  • Founder

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:45

Many of LaGG-3 user had same question. Serch "lagg ground loop" in this forum.

1. Keep straight by rudder. If plane starts turning, input oposite rudder quickly.

2. Use wheel brake with rudder centered. If you use brake and rudder at same time, plane turns oposite side too much.

3. If rudder effect becomes too weak to keep straight at low speed, open throttle to 10-20% to enhance rudder effect.

By the way, If IL-2 loops too, something wrong - If so, check "tail wheel lock" key binding.

#8 TP_Jacko

TP_Jacko
  • Founder

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:07

Have you seen the advice fron Chuck and SYN_Requim.

#9 Nic727

Nic727

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:38

Yeah, maybe not the IL2, but I had the same problem with Yak-1b.

Kind of annoying... Do you use full break or left/right brake? I know that LaGG3 only have full brake, but still spining after braking/open throttle.

#10 Maple_X

Maple_X
  • Founder

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:49

Yeah, maybe not the IL2, but I had the same problem with Yak-1b.

Kind of annoying... Do you use full break or left/right brake? I know that LaGG3 only have full brake, but still spining after braking/open throttle.

The wheel brake of LaGG-3 (and other RU planes except for I-16) works as below: if rudder is centered, braking left & right wheel: if left/right rudder input, braking left/right wheel.

So, you should use wheel brake with rudder centered, and when the plane starts turning, stop braking and use oposite rudder.

practice!

#11 Cpt_Branko

Cpt_Branko
  • Founder

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:19

Me again,

​I didn't play a lot since I have the game, but I played my first two online games and learned a lot of stuffs since I need to know engine management and everything else.

So just to be sure it's ok... I was with LaGG3 and Il2 and that's what I had.

RPM at 100% everytimes

Radiator and water radiator between 80-100%...

Mixture at 100% at low altitude and around 70% at very high altitude (+3500m)

The only thing is that my plane is slow compared to other... Whatever, I will continue playing and will learn more in the coming weeks... In Il2 1946 I was only touching radiators, but not mixture and other stuffs, so it's new for me...

About landing, how to land correctly? Everytimes I'm touching ground, my plane start spining for no reason... How can I fixe that?

Thank you very much :)

Also fairly new here ;)

Don't set RPM to 100% all the time. Move it in concert with the throttle, except when landing (there keep RPM high and lower throttle). Running at high RPM and low throttle is wasteful and you'll fly slower. Good when you want to lose speed.

Also radiator doesn't need to be open so much. You cool the engine too much and create drag so you'll fly slower. I found it ok cruising on some 30% or so. Take a look at the oil and water temps.

Landing with Lagg-3, my approach is this:

full flaps (you need to hold the key), gear out

full RPM, lower throttle until you're going slow but not so slow that you sink too fast.

When almost touching the field, pull the stick back some more and lower throttle so you touch down with all three wheels

Leave rudder alone and brake. If the plane tries to go sideways, stop braking and use rudder.

I don't know the airspeeds, just do it by feel.

#12 Dakpilot

Dakpilot
  • Founder

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:57

Although specifically related to the Mig 3 the circuit demonstration vid by Han from DD # 137 also give useful general advice for procedures and training and are well worth watching, or even downloading the training mission and practice

https://forum.il2stu...er-diary/page-4

Mig 3 was quite hard IRL, just finished reading a Russian Yak Pilot biography who recounted the nearby stationed Mig squadron losing 7 aircraft in a one month period due to landing accidents, he was happy to be flying the Yak-1 instead  ;)

Cheers Dakpilot

i5 3570K at 4,46Ghz//H100i//P8Z77-I-DELUXE//16GB 1600mhz ram//Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC//Samsung Evo840 128gbSSD x2//LG 49" 3840 X 2160//MSFFB2// Saitek throttle quadrant//Win10-64bit

#13 =TBAS=Sshadow14

=TBAS=Sshadow14

Posted 26 January 2017 - 13:24

Game Menu >> Missions >> Take off & landing Calm (3rd or 4th from bottom of list, read instructions on the right information panel pre flight.)

First time round when you spawn. start the plane the Turn on Auto pilot
It will take off and fly a standard traffic pattern then return to land all by itself you can watch all the things it does like trimming, using flaps, power, and so on

791JFcf.jpg                  
/CPU: FX8350@ 4.3ghz /GPU: GTX 1060 G1 Gaming /RAM: 16GB@1875mhz
 /JOYSTICK: Saitek X-55 Hotas /PEDALS: Logitech Driving Force EX

#14 Cpt_Branko

Cpt_Branko
  • Founder

Posted 26 January 2017 - 15:34

Mig 3 was quite hard IRL, just finished reading a Russian Yak Pilot biography who recounted the nearby stationed Mig squadron losing 7 aircraft in a one month period due to landing accidents, he was happy to be flying the Yak-1 instead  ;)

If you don't mind me asking, what's the name of the book? Is it in English? Always love reading memoirs but I don't have much from Russian pilots.

#15 Dakpilot

Dakpilot
  • Founder

Posted 26 January 2017 - 16:02

If you don't mind me asking, what's the name of the book? Is it in English? Always love reading memoirs but I don't have much from Russian pilots.

Now that is a bit tricky  :) I can't actually remember which Pilot it was, but it most likely came from one of these sites, the english is quite readable, if not perfect

http://iremember.ru/en/?PAGEN_1=5

http://www.airforce.ru/en/english.htm

http://lend-lease.ai...icles/index.htm

there was also a great resource of memoirs at sovietwarplanes,com but this seems to have very recently gone 'off air'

Cheers Dakpilot

i5 3570K at 4,46Ghz//H100i//P8Z77-I-DELUXE//16GB 1600mhz ram//Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC//Samsung Evo840 128gbSSD x2//LG 49" 3840 X 2160//MSFFB2// Saitek throttle quadrant//Win10-64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users