6./ZG26_McKvack

Ju-52/3m g4e Introduction

Is there any way to hop into the copilots seat? Otherwise I can't see my right wing

+1. I dont see right level of Fuel and oil.

Ah, maybe because the Ju-52 originally just had the center engine and the other 2 were added on to create the Ju-52/3m.

That is a distinct possibility.

It is certainly easier to run wires than to properly route a cable drive.

This plane lands itself, I love it. I really enjoy the ability to drop Fallschirmjägers off! I got a handle on the trim/flap procedure. However can someone give me a rough instruction on how to use the mixture controls? So far in this game I only fly 111, 88 and 87. At what altitudes should I be say "at least ____ %" as a general guide line?

also based on operation data in game you can push these engines quite hard it seems. (according to rpm read-outs)

Someone mentioned cowl shutter control. I have those command keybound and they do nothing, the oil radiators function though. Am I missing something?

thanks

Can anyone taxi it well? I do a kind of swaying waddle at very low (walking speed). I mean, as in can you taxi around Rzhev airfield on the tracks? I can't.

Someone mentioned cowl shutter control. I have those command keybound and they do nothing, the oil radiators function though. Am I missing something?

It has inlet cowl shutter control I believe, like the I-16.

This plane lands itself, I love it. I really enjoy the ability to drop Fallschirmjägers off! I got a handle on the trim/flap procedure. However can someone give me a rough instruction on how to use the mixture controls? So far in this game I only fly 111, 88 and 87. At what altitudes should I be say "at least ____ %" as a general guide line?

also based on operation data in game you can push these engines quite hard it seems. (according to rpm read-outs)

thanks

So far I have put it on 80% and left it.  It shuts the technochat off at that setting.

Can anyone taxi it well? I do a kind of swaying waddle at very low (walking speed). I mean, as in can you taxi around Rzhev airfield on the tracks? I can't.

I have a Saitek throttle (3 levers) and I am trying to get good at taxi-ing as they have to do in RL, with asymmetric thrust and the throttle brakes, using just engines 1 & 3.  I am using a lot a rudder also as it is fairly effective on the ground.  It is coming slowly but surely.

For easier taxi-ing, I just use the generic brake key with rudder inputs.  You can watch the appropriate throttle brake activate.  Use just rudder first to turn and brakes only when needed.  It seems to be easier to taxi using this method.  I use all 3 engines this way.

Edited by Beedo

I have a problem during a night flight. If I switch to map, enlighten my eyes. It is available any night mod for map? For example, red backlight.

Yes, it is an issue. Try to lower your screen brightness. I am afraid there is no night mod for map so far.

I have a problem during a night flight. If I switch to map, enlighten my eyes. It is available any night mod for map? For example, red backlight.

That is a really good idea, assuming it would include the "briefing map". It might be easy to implement and for me would really add to that all-important immersion factor!

[Edit: allowing campaign and mission designers to substitute their own map designs or the briefing map would be great too.]

Edited by No601_Swallow

What's the story behind the angled vertical sabilizer?

nOPrdQZ.jpg?1

It's by purpose, in order to compensate for the motor's torque...

What's the story behind the angled vertical sabilizer?

It compensates the spiraling slipstream. 

Edited by Quax

I am missing a water temperature gauge. I can adjust that cooling water bypass - but how do I know how if I should open or close it????

I am missing a water temperature gauge. I can adjust that cooling water bypass - but how do I know how if I should open or close it????

It doesn't have a water cooler - just an oil cooling system and cowl flaps.

Edited by LukeFF

A Ju-52, a quick mission, and one nav beacon for quick and easy fun and blind landing training.

I started off with the question: At what height and what speed would I need to be at when flying directly over the beacon to be able to chop throttle to idle and still make the runway and land safely as they would with a fully implemented Lorenz system (blind landing) The answer in the 52 is 150 km/h @ 100 m (alt set to nearest airfield elevation) with 20% flap (linked with the pitch starting at 0 deg) Feel free to add more flap/pitch on the glide in.

I then branched out my experiment running a cargo haul from Kalach (winter) to Samofalovka to the NE @ 54.3 km away. I started at 1700 with 50% fuel and flew over the runway beacon (which was south of runway 343 in this mission) at 60 deg on my way to Sam using the 240 deg "From" course (using the bottom right beacon gauge) as my guide. After a quick course correction to the north for a moment to get me on the 240 "From" course line, I settled in to a 60 deg course all the way to Sam.

When the AFN-1 gauge (to the right of the clock) signal strength needle came down to the half-way mark (horizontal needle) I started looking for the runway on the horizon. In a few moments it was there. I promptly landed on the runway and delivered my cargo. Taking off back to the West, I immediately turned to my return 240 "To" course using the upper left nav gauge to keep me on course.

When the signal strength needle just started touching the 0 km mark, I changed course to 230 so that I would put the nav beacon off my right wing to help me line up the runway. When the bottom right nav beacon gauge read ~300 I started my right turn towards the runway, using my upper left nav beacon gauge to once again home in onto the nav beacon.

Once I was lined up with the nav beacon I made sure I was at 150 km/h @ 100 w/ 20% flaps. The moment the bottom right nav beacon gauge started to flip 180 deg, the white light went off in the AFN-1 gauge signaling that I was directly over the beacon. I chopped my throttle and glided safely down to the runway for a full stop landing.

My next experiment will do the same run but later in the day and weather other then clear to make things more interesting.

Edited by Beedo
  • Upvote 2

Did you make that mission - curious about nav beacons. I'll implement that in my campaign.

Did you make that mission - curious about nav beacons. I'll implement that in my campaign.

Just a quick mission starting at Kalach.  The nav beacon there moves around to different ends of the runways at random with each start. To make that an actual mission using the same setup, all that would be needed is another beacon at Sam.  The gauges flip to the closer one as you approach the beacon.  Or leave it with one beacon as the other runway is a temp.

One could also fly a "From course to an open area at a set distance to drop paratroopers or supplies and return home.

Good work! A logical development of your experiments would be to have the beacons "baked in" on the map (together with revetments and towers, etc) and marked on the map, so their locations are known (a mission builder can put them anywhere he wants at the moment).  The ability assign different frequencies to beacons and to tune the AFN-2 to those frequencies would also be welcome!

Edited by No601_Swallow

Excellent idea on the trooper drop/beacon.

I'm going to look into the beacons tonight when I'm working in the editor - hadn't even considered them.

Just flew couple mission with this bird and i love it. Slow as hell but its nice for a change to fly some paradrop/transport missions too. Worth every penny.

Continuation with the experiment.

1800 with low overcast and snow with a 3 m/s wind.

post-1029-0-52478000-1482551295_thumb.jpg

On course 060 and a "From" course of 240 on the way to Samofalovka.

post-1029-0-27259300-1482551634_thumb.jpg

Approaching Samofalovka.  AFN-1 gauge at just over 50 km

post-1029-0-16451000-1482551830_thumb.jpg

Cargo Is unloaded.  Leaving Samofalovka, lining up the course in upper left gauge.  Using the return course of 240.

post-1029-0-49609100-1482551951_thumb.jpg

Approaching Kalach, changing course to 230 to get the beacon off my right wing.  AFN-1 gauge is just now touching the 0 km mark.

post-1029-0-85001600-1482552045_thumb.jpg

Bottom right gauge is at 300, time to turn right back to the beacon and line up for the runway.

post-1029-0-76313800-1482552162_thumb.jpg

Almost directly over the beacon, both the upper left and lower right beacon gauges have flipped, chopping throttle to idle.

post-1029-0-14319100-1482552284_thumb.jpg

Home safe again at Kalach.

post-1029-0-88027600-1482552344_thumb.jpg

post-1029-0-39567700-1482552816_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beedo

I'm doing something wrong - I can't get the flaps-stabilizer combination to function!

This is what I'm doing:

- I press Right-Shift-Down-Cursor Arrow to reduce the horizontal stabilizer to +2%

- I then press the flaps (lower) button which shows me that the flaps are now enabled

- I then go back to the Right-Shift-Up/Down Cursor Arrows but nothing appears to be happening (no info on the screen for changing flap or stabilizer values, although the screen continues to show OTHER information).

I would really appreciate some guidance on this.

Many thanks.

I'm doing something wrong - I can't get the flaps-stabilizer combination to function!

This is what I'm doing:

- I press Right-Shift-Down-Cursor Arrow to reduce the horizontal stabilizer to +2%

- I then press the flaps (lower) button which shows me that the flaps are now enabled

- I then go back to the Right-Shift-Up/Down Cursor Arrows but nothing appears to be happening (no info on the screen for changing flap or stabilizer values, although the screen continues to show OTHER information).

I would really appreciate some guidance on this.

Many thanks.

I sometimes have the same problem. I went back and checked all my key bindings, then tried working the flap/stabiliser combo direct from the keyboard but it can be very hit and miss, to say the least.

Also, if I do manage to fully extend the flaps to 40 degs I can't get them up again.

I have no solution for you other than keep trying; I found when using the keyboard that a simultaneous press of the stabiliser up and down keys would loosen it so that it then worked properly, but it's not an ideal solution and doesn't work every time.

Having said all this, the last couple of times I flew the Ju52 then the flap/stabiliser combo worked ok. Weird.

Cheers.

PS When I have got it working I've used this sequence that someone posted:

Stab to -70%  /  Flaps Down  /  Stab to 0%                                                          which puts flaps at 25 degs.

or

Stab to -70%  /  Flaps Down  /  Stab to +70% (mine stops at +46%)                   which puts flaps at 40 degs.

To raise when flaps are down

Stab to -70%  /  Flaps Up  /  Stab to 0%                                                               which puts flaps back to 0 degs.

Cheers.

Edited by 216th_Cat

Sometimes you need to press the stabilizer trim button for some time after unlocking flaps. That seems to be a bug. (sometimes it works after 5 seconds of key pressing) Give that a try for now and report back please :)

Edited by 216th_Jordan

Sometimes you need to press the stabilizer trim button for some time after unlocking flaps. That seems to be a bug. (sometimes it works after 5 seconds of key pressing) Give that a try for now and report back please :)

The stabilizer operation doesn't appear to be reliable.

Sometimes (not always!) pressing the up/down (stabilizer) keys does nothing ie there're no stabilizer nor flaps readings that appear on the screen - however, simultaneoulsy holding down these 2 keys seems to bring the stabilizer and flaps to "life" and one can take it from there - it does appear to be a bug.

How can I report this to the developers?

Regards

Sometimes

Is there any manual or tutorial how to navigate with those beacons? I really like to fly on full real, but i have no

clue how to find and hold my course with this system.

Is there any manual or tutorial how to navigate with those beacons? I really like to fly on full real, but i have no

clue how to find and hold my course with this system.

Check out Chuck's Guide p. 250 here:  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/10268-chucks-aircraft-guide/

You can spawn in a quick mission at Kalach, there is a beacon already there that shows up at random places to practice using the gauges there.

Chuck's guide just describes the AFN-1, AFN-2.  The Ju-52 has the AFN-1 (to the right of the clock) and has 2 more beacon gauges. 

The one to the left of the clock is pretty straight forward, just change course to center the needle when flying towards a beacon.  When flying away from a beacon, the needle will be either to the left or to the right.

The gauge to the right of the altimeter gives you what course you need to take to fly towards the beacon, when lined up you will be on the same course (example:  you are on a course of 180 and this gauge is lined up with 270, then turn right to 270 and re-evaluate)  This is the gauge that is needed to fly away from a beacon, as in my above sample mission examples, flying on a course of 60, this gauge will read 240 if you are directly on the 240 radial (meaning the return course)

Edited by Beedo
  • Upvote 1

For your amusement; a little challenge.

This was my forth and best attempt out of about twenty :wacko: .  If you want to try = QMB on Moscow autumn map.  Select single plane spawn point at Kalinin.  Airstart and fly eastwards over the town, airfield is just to your south, square 0414, keypad 9.

Good luck!

• Upvote 3

hey can someone help me I use the joystick logitec extreme 3d pro and I was going to test fly the ju-52 for the first time but found that the throttle for engines 1 and 2 was normal but engine 3 was reversed so when 1 and 2 were throttled up engine 3 would do nothing pls help me.

hey can someone help me I use the joystick logitec extreme 3d pro and I was going to test fly the ju-52 for the first time but found that the throttle for engines 1 and 2 was normal but engine 3 was reversed so when 1 and 2 were throttled up engine 3 would do nothing pls help me.

Go into settings and controls where you assigned the keys and simply press the little arrow thing at your selected input for engine 3 to make it inverted which should fix it

I just checked out the Ju-52 for the first time and I really love it. The cockpit looks just awesome :)

I don't have any problems with the Flaps and the Brakes. 

But is there any advice on what to do with the radiators? Which temperatures do I have to check?  And when to open and close the cowlinge/oil radiators? How to keep the engine Temperatures right?