Han

Game version 2.006 discussion: DX11, Ju 52, Bf 109 G-4, Scripted Campaign, "10 Days of Autumn"

When in windowed mode the built in Vsync of window OS will be in effect, in fullscreen you need to turn on game or driver Vsync

Cheers Dakpilot

Weird thing is I have my refresh rate set to 144hz which is a freesync monitor Benq XL2730Z, if I select in game Vsync which I normally would never do as I have Freesync it locks my FPS at 60fps even though it's set to 144hz. Tried changing my refresh rate to 120hz in fullscreen iL-2 still set my FPS to 60 with vsync on (very weird).

This only happens when in fullscreen. 

I currently run borderless with Vsync off with fps limit set to 120 since it will go way over the 144. Not sure if it's freesync or windows vsync but there is no tearing even over 144fps but then over 144 it can stutter as it will display the same frame twice, it's not as noticeable as tearing especially at high frame rates but it is there.

Looking forward till they fix the Fullscreen freesync/Gsync issue.

Edited by astrix_au

The game with this patch is so smooth! I flew couple single missions and FPS was almost always stayed on 60 (vsync on). And this is with max settings, SSAO, HDR!

Now I can probably start collecting money for ultrawide 1440p monitor. It should be playable now!

Great work IL-2 team!

Having a little issue here.

I thought I'll give the Distant Grass Option a try, since the FPS increased a lot. 

When I turn it on, the Grass is doing strange things, it's flickering and disappearing as soon as my plane or the camera moves. I also have heavy stutters but FPS were above 40 all the time. 

All those problems are not there, when I turn the distant grass off. 

Graphics Card is a AMD Radeon HD 7950.

Anyone else having those problems or a fix?

I thought I'll give the Distant Grass Option a try, since the FPS increased a lot. 

When I turn it on, the Grass is doing strange things, it's flickering and disappearing as soon as my plane or the camera moves. I also have heavy stutters but FPS were above 40 all the time. 

never encountered that kind of problem i'm afraid..

Han, on 21 Dec 2016 - 18:36, said:snapback.png

Dear Pilots,

A day of hard work and buying videocards in stores brought some results.

... It looks like this is a videocard problem, most likely caused by videocard power subsystem (not neccessary PC power supply unit itself) of 780 series card not being stable enough for GPU frequency when close to the limit, resulting in some instructions being processed incorrectly. This issue appeared as a direct result of DirectX 11 implementation and optimizations - your graphics card is working with much more efficiency (it is not about GPU load and temperature). There is no apparent solution on the game side short of removing the optimizations and returning to 2.005 version performance since the problem is caused by incorrect work of a certain graphics card model.

You may say that the card works fine in other games, but this is not really relevant since most modern games don't use such vary renderers capable of drawing giant landscapes or use popular licensed engines which have optimizations in graphics drivers and hardware made specially for them. Sims similar to ours have similar problems, sometimes with the same card models and a similar advice is given on their forums as we do:

- If you have driver crash problem, try to lower the maximum GPU clock of your card by 100-150 MHz.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

It's too easy to sneak away from his responsibility by claiming that the CTDs are a GTX780 specific problem. Other comparable flight simulators like WT, CoD and DCS have no issues with the GTX780. Especially the latter Sim, which is also based on DX11, works perfectly with this GPU. It seems to me to be rather a small error in the implementation of DX11 that cause these crashes. I encourage the developer team to investigate this issue more closely.

They have a 780 now, and they will sort it out, as they did with all other problems. 

this fix 2006c helps against the artefacts BUT in only 2 hours of playing the game crashes 6 times. 3 times when i set up my keysettings.

got some short moments in flying between the crashes and here i have more fps as in the past.

Arrrghh - all the earlier 2.006 updates/hotifxes worked fine for me, but I just updated to the latest hotfix (2.006c) and now I'm getting this error when trying to start the game:

BoS%20-%202.006c%20error%20message1.jpg

[EDIT] = well, restarting the game seemed to make that error go away - fired up and flew just fine the second time around.

Same here but my Desktop is no more centered, i need to switch on "Windowed" instead of Full Screen.

I have a strange problem with 2.006 patch where when I start a mission the game does not recognise my control bindings. Only when I press Esc and go to the "Key Bindings" menu - and the return without saving - controls and bindings are fixed. Weird issue..

The FPS boost is incredible tho, I am confident the FPS I am getting now will be enough for the VR 90fps experience with my current setup :)

I have this fullscreen eroor aswell but only if i try to launch though the launcher.

It seems if you launch the game with IL-2.exe file located in the il2/bin/game folder it starts fullscreen without crashing.

Hope we see a fix for the launcher soon so it wont crash when you have fullscreen enabled

Same, distant grass is a killer. It might say 50 in the counter but it's really 4 - 8 fps with the stutters. So I turned it off and all back to normal.

Edited by =38=Tatarenko

Same, distant grass is a killer. It might say 50 in the counter but it's really 4 - 8 fps with the stutters. So I turned it off and all back to normal.

Same here with Nvidia 760. I've noticed it in winter condition, first of all flickering.

It's too easy to sneak away from his responsibility by claiming that the CTDs are a GTX780 specific problem. Other comparable flight simulators like WT, CoD and DCS have no issues with the GTX780. Especially the latter Sim, which is also based on DX11, works perfectly with this GPU. It seems to me to be rather a small error in the implementation of DX11 that cause these crashes. I encourage the developer team to investigate this issue more closely.

To clock the 780 GTX down to fix a issue you can read the same thing if you ask google to solve things. No time to check all PC configurations and software combinations unfortunately the same thing you can hear even from AAA-Title Games where money and time is not their problem even have Support from Intel,Nvidia or AMD......... Something what this Game and Devs here not have! -> That's the only difference!!!

• Upvote 2

Performance looks good but my problem is G-Sync, i limit my FPS to 60 like allways and get horrible tearing.

I forgot how bad tearing is without G-Sync so its quite a downgrade for me. :)

I feel sorry for all those people who have issues still. I know it sucks, on the other side such a major change does not come without problems and it will probably take 1 or 2 months to get all the issues sorted. Hope that gamebreaking issues can be fixed for many people before that. Apart from that it might be good to take a break from Il-2 for a while if it just doesn't want to start...

What people actually need to do in order to help solving the issues they have is to open threads in the "Technical issues" subforum (https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/89-technical-issues-and-bug-reports/) or post in already open threads there and provide information on their System, Hardware, Applications and Drivers. That way the Devs can easily find the threads and information can be combined efficiently. 

Edited by 216th_Jordan

Haha! I always wondered why the choice of this avatar Space Gost! now I am fixed! I know! :lol:

Edited by Nil
  • Upvote 1

Same here with Nvidia 760. I've noticed it in winter condition, first of all flickering.

Yes, happened to me also in Winter on the Moscow Map. Did not try other seasons etc...

Yes it's true main goal was achieved successfully, others issues are less important and not urgent. Merry Christmas, take your time, forgot the work for while as we all want and spend holidays time whatever you like.

The hotfix did not solve the problem :(

(AMD Radeon R9 380X Series 4GB DDR5)

Il-2%202016-12-20%2018-39-53-16_zpsgkrcf

Il-2%202016-12-20%2018-39-33-69_zps1gqvl

Wow, the special Christmas update lloks cool, they even gave you themed effects  :P

on the 780/AMD issue, having been in game testing, trying to pin down incompatible hardware/software issues is difficult (that is part of the reason why many developpers prefer to stick to consoles like Xbox where everyone has the same hardware).

Part of the problem comes from the fact that no one, AMD or Nvidia, follows DX 100%. In theory, if a game is 100% programmed under DX11, every DX11 card should run it perfectly, but the card drivers do not follow DX 100%. Both AMD and Nvidia will take shortcuts to improve performance in certain games, usually the most popular ones that are used most often in benchmarks for reviews.

So a developper will produce a DX 11 game and find out certain AMD/Nvidia hardware/software will not run it properly. You then have to go see what in that particular hardware/software combination is causing a problem and how to fix it without creating new problems with other card/driver combinations. It is a very time consuming process.

Edited by Sgt_Joch
  • Upvote 3

i understand the difficulty of finding out the root cause and accordingly a way to solve the issue, but in the meantime everyone suffering these CtDs cannot fly as part of a squad at Random Expert, Taw,..or any other Dynamic campaigns servers, as this would be provoking the whole squad to be loosing planes.. and credits, so loosing flighters covering the bombers formations, bombers dissapearing when reaching last waypoint before bombing... etc etc... only option, go to a deathmatch server as berloga being aware that you can vanish at anytime.... Before 2006 we could not get the performance advantages of DX11..We didn't have a DX11 flightsim but we could enjoy stable flights.....

So I keep insisting please don't give up and come back with a solution. we're really looking forward to hearing from devs regarding any update on this issue

At last we have found a working second hand NVidia 780 Ti device and figured out what to do if problem of "Constant crash after 1-3 minutes of flight" is presented.

First of all, we have reproduced this problem on most recent drivers 376.33. Indeed, problem appearing constantly. It can be removed only by reducing all Graphics options to minimal settings, and even this may be not the solution in case if resolution is more than fullHD.

Also, investigation with using of debug version shows that hardware driver stop working randomly during standard procedure of dynamic loading of graphic data, which works OK for all others video cards.

As we have supposed before - it is NVidia problem and it is depends on driver version. So we have tried this solution and it works good - on our 780 game become to work stable for hours.

Uninstall completely all NVidia software and drivers (using Control Panel, Programs and Features), install NVidia driver version 368.81:
Windows 10 64-bit:
Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit:

PS
We have wrote a e-mail to NVidia support regarding this recent drivers problem, but they're on the holidays and will respond in January in best case.
If you will do the same and will write your own claim to NVidia with all these details - this may help to force them to solve the issue in actual drivers.
  • Upvote 9

i understand the difficulty of finding out the root cause and accordingly a way to solve the issue, but in the meantime everyone suffering these CtDs cannot fly as part of a squad at Random Expert, Taw,..or any other Dynamic campaigns servers, as this would be provoking the whole squad to be loosing planes.. and credits, so loosing flighters covering the bombers formations, bombers dissapearing when reaching last waypoint before bombing... etc etc... only option, go to a deathmatch server as berloga being aware that you can vanish at anytime.... Before 2006 we could not get the performance advantages of DX11..We didn't have a DX11 flightsim but we could enjoy stable flights.....

So I keep insisting please don't give up and come back with a solution. we're really looking forward to hearing from devs regarding any update on this issue

They just posted in the FAQs, if you have a GTX 780 you have to revert drivers to 368.xx

Hopefully that helps someone.

-snip-

PS
We have wrote a e-mail to NVidia support regarding this drecent rivers problem, but they're on the hollydays and will respond in January in best case.

You guys are awesome - way to follow up!

At least we have found a working second hand NVidia 780 Ti device and figured out what to do if problem of "Constant crash after 1-3 minutes of flight" is presented.

First of all, we have reproduced this problem on most recent drivers 376.33. Indeed, problem appearing constantly. It can be removed only by reducing all Graphics options to miminal settings, and even this may be not the solution in case if resolution is more than fullHD.

As we have supposed before - it is NVidia problem and it is depends on driver version. So we have tryed this solution and it works good

Uninstall completely all NVidia software and drivers (using Control Panel, Programs and Features), install NVidia driver version 368.81:
Windows 10 64-bit:
Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit:

PS
We have wrote a e-mail to NVidia support regarding this drecent rivers problem, but they're on the hollydays and will respond in January in best case.
If you will do the same and will write your own claim to NVidia with all these details - this may help to force them to solve the issue in actual drivers.

Thanks for the temporal workaround , and fast feedback

• Upvote 1

My GTX 680 card seems to handle things very good, I haven't had time for long flights but I see no other problems than Win 7 related ones, witch I fixed.

Excellent work Han.......

I'm sure i speak for all 780 owners, when i say thank you very much for all your effort,

And a Merry Christmas.

• Upvote 1

Wow, just look at Han's post... LOOK AT IT!!! And right before the start of the holidays. I have one thing to say, I cannot recall the last time I have seen that level of dedication and support from a game developer. You guys are the best!

• Upvote 5

Latest hotfix broke what was a great experience for me. The first release worked great, the first patch seemed to make no big positive/negative changes--the latest patch, however, is a disappointment. Framerates are down, slight tearing is back, smoke has this weird green/yellow tint to it and you can see clouds clipping or appearing through the smoke in negative colors. Also, the extreme pixellation every time the plane flies between a cloud and the camera is back.

I can't post grabs right now as I'm leaving on vacation for a week. I have an Asus PC M32 with upgraded video card to GTX 1080. Nvidia drivers are all up to date.

Wow, just look at Han's post... LOOK AT IT!!! And right before the start of the holidays. I have one thing to say, I cannot recall the last time I have seen that level of dedication and support from a game developer. You guys are the best!

the Force is strong with this one!

Wow! If they can make the terrain elevation map 4x more detailed and render more complex scenes... it really opens up the tank simulation side for Kuban...!

• Upvote 2

To echo others, I'm very impressed with the dedication shown by this team. This update is great. When the few existing bugs are squashed, this sim will become (and already is IMO) the benchmark all others are measured by. 

Wow! If they can make the terrain elevation map 4x more detailed and render more complex scenes... it really opens up the tank simulation side for Kuban...!

Honestly, the stuff I have seen so far with tank simulation detail is impressive to say the least right now. I think the devs should team up with Graviteam and make wonderful tank baby.