Photo

Is BoS a flight simulator or a game? (It could be both) 

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TazMan

TazMan

Posted 09 December 2016 - 21:44

Hello BoS development team and all BoS flyers,

Myself and good friend of my mine, (a fellow BoS aviator) wanted to share some thoughts and insight concerning  BoS.

Out of the gate we would like to extend our sincere thanks for BoS and the team that created it!  Hard work and dedication always yields success!!

Why limit the simulations potential for a larger market by not offering the option to fly it like the flight simulation already is at its core!

It is completely apparent that the BoS and the simulation series are incredibly detailed with tremendous attention to flight physics / dynamics.

This is only boosted by the phenomenal scenery and graphics that your engine provides.

We feel that it is an incredible “flight simulation game” with the “flight simulator” portion hampered by the gamming element.

Can or will BoS yield the “option” to fly (F.O.R.) Full On Real?

Perhaps include a simple check box to disable the game side of the simulation?

Suggestions:

·         Rework BoS so that misc. in sim. text, (I’m wounded!) are removed.

·         Before repopulating, remove screen with “points” such as “50% for emergency landing” and “0” points because of “friendly fire”.

·       Remove any non-real world “luxuries” such as the map that shows your actual position, on screen instruments – (compass), plane configuration clues - (flap position, throttle setting, mixture %), etc.

·         If these items are to be included in future patches/upgrades, perhaps include a simple check box to disable them all entirely for those of us who want F.O.R.

·         We think that in sim chat should have said check box for sure. It is distracting to see a chat box pop up just because someone wants to say “Nice shot” or “Hello”.  Share your thoughts about the flight at the officers club (debrief map menu) after the mission if you should survive ;-)

Thank you for your time and feedback!

#2 SharpeXB

SharpeXB
  • Founder

Posted 10 December 2016 - 20:50

You can turn off all the screen graphics by pressing "H"
As for the "points" and campaign, many more "realistic" options and changes are coming, check out the DDs
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K o.c.@4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | 2x EVGA GTX TITAN X SC ACX 2.0 12GB SLI | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28” Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

#3 216th_LuseKofte

216th_LuseKofte
  • Founder

Posted 10 December 2016 - 22:48

This is a matter of budget me thinks. We aint a big enough customer base to take the planes up to next level. If you talk about game vs simulator you need to look at what simulator.

This "game" simulate many things very realistic. It simulate at the aerodynamics pretty amazing, the war game is well simulated. There are  many aspects of flight model itself that also is better than other simulators/ game.

This is probably a game that got simulator breed , while some DCS modules are more simulator and try to approach game

49efc10c-c436-418c-9fbd-9cffdcfaff3d_zps

#4 DD_Arthur

DD_Arthur
  • Founder

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:55

This is a matter of budget me thinks.

Me thinks this is a matter of the OP not quite understanding what options the game offers him.

#5 Gambit21

Gambit21
  • Founder

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:23

Yep

post-23599-0-81560100-1480876176.jpg                                                                  post-23599-0-30579300-1480901669.jpg

#6 12.OIAE_Stick-95

12.OIAE_Stick-95
  • Founder

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:36

Everything you mention is all already there.  See page 21 of Manual.  While flying, key "I" will toggle the 2D compass and instruments.  Key "H" will toggle the entire HUD.  In QMB, prior to spawning, look in Difficulty Settings.  You can turn off icons, etc. in there.

Link to manual:  https://forum.il2stu...dition-english/

Edited by 12.OIAE_Stick-95, 11 December 2016 - 11:37.

It's only a game...  It's only a game...  It's only a... damn it.

New system 08/16 - i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, GTX1070SC ACX 3.0 8GB, 16GB DDR4 3000MHz, ASUS Z170-A ATX mobo, Windows 10

30284612591_3787866a3c_m.jpg   PACIFIC THEATER  29752931474_6ac9ec5dd3_m.jpg

#7 Crump

Crump

Posted 11 December 2016 - 13:05

It is definitely NOT a taxi simulator...

IMHO, it is more of a "aerial combat simulator" than anything.  It tries to replicate the feeling of air combat.  That is different from a "flight simulator" that attempts to replicate the procedures required for flight.  The aircraft management is applicable to a dogfight not a STAR to an ILS approach.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

#8 Trooper117

Trooper117
  • Founder

Posted 11 December 2016 - 15:23

It's a flight sim 'game'... it is certainly not a true simulator.

If every single button, lever etc had a working function, and if you had control over every single system that the aircraft had in real life then a case could be made.

At this moment, no... it's not a simulator.

#9 Gambit21

Gambit21
  • Founder

Posted 11 December 2016 - 21:14

We've had simulators since the first Microsoft Flight Simulator, which was very simple - but a simulator nonetheless. The definition isn't quite so rigid I'm afraid, and BoS is every bit a flight sim.

Cockpit/systems simulator - not so much.

post-23599-0-81560100-1480876176.jpg                                                                  post-23599-0-30579300-1480901669.jpg

#10 GridiroN

GridiroN
  • Founder

Posted 11 December 2016 - 23:53

See, the thing that bothers me is people approaching IL2 like a game, and with a game comes certain connotations like fairness, accessibility etc. This is a simulator as far as I'm concerned. If one plane is better than another, than one plane is simply better than another. If something is hard to do, then it's simply hard to do. 

1UjZMDj.png

#11 TazMan

TazMan

Posted 12 December 2016 - 13:16

Hello BoS flyers,

My thanks for the reply's and the different views on the subject I have posted.

There appears to be some confusion on what my topic is trying to bring forward and express.

The options in the BoS and BoM to "remove some of the clutter in the cockpit" are understood and have been applied.  Thank you for reminding and or allowing others to understand those options if they haven't already.

• The in sim text (i.e. I’m wounded!) being changed to an option would be very useful and truly realistic.
  • Repopulating with “points” such as “50% for emergency landing” and “0” points because of “friendly fire” is to me game like. This could become an option as well.

Bottom line to me is that the sim is fantastic in many ways.  So much that the other elements mentioned above are not a compliment to the sim.

I just was wondering if the ability to fly the sim with a couple of additional options to further enhance the sim to completely feel as 100% sim is possible. This could be accomplished without taking away the current configuration of features that others enjoy and respect . ;-)

Options to enable or enable / disable certain sim content is not an earth shattering task. A few "else or if then statements" are easy to configure / enable.

The BoS team has built something incredible with further and enormous potential.  The fact that the PC world has this sim is a wonderful accomplishment and tribute to those of us who are not absorbed by the console interface.

All the best,

-Taz

#12 SharpeXB

SharpeXB
  • Founder

Posted 12 December 2016 - 18:55

The "I'm wounded" is your own radio speech. Again you can simply turn all this off but unless you fluently understand Russian or German then it's probabaly better to have the subtitles on.

I think the "points" will probably go away. I'm not sure they had any purpose in MP to begin with and the way that the SP campaign is changing, they won't be likely needed, or at least not in the current form.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K o.c.@4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | 2x EVGA GTX TITAN X SC ACX 2.0 12GB SLI | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28” Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

#13 [VF-84]Karetaker

[VF-84]Karetaker

Posted 19 December 2016 - 13:05

SharpeHB, or anyone; can you explain how to turn off these "radio speech" messages and speech?  I have gone through and turned off/unchecked every option that I can in BoS to make it more realistic, but I can't seem to find this option.  I gather from your post that even with the text removed, the audio, (I'm wounded, I'm on fire, I'm bailing out, etc.) will still be heard? Correct?

Thanks.

#14 Venturi

Venturi
  • Founder

Posted 19 December 2016 - 15:41

I have to say, I agree with the OP. 

The text/audio is distracting, especially when its repeated over and over in a machine like fashion.

#15 Matt

Matt
  • Founder

Posted 19 December 2016 - 16:55

SharpeHB, or anyone; can you explain how to turn off these "radio speech" messages and speech?  I have gone through and turned off/unchecked every option that I can in BoS to make it more realistic, but I can't seem to find this option.  I gather from your post that even with the text removed, the audio, (I'm wounded, I'm on fire, I'm bailing out, etc.) will still be heard? Correct?

Thanks.

Rename your ..\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Audio\radio\ folder to something else (like radiox or something) and you will no longer hear the radio sounds.

i5-4670k - GTX 970 - 8GB DDR3 - Windows 10 - VKB Gladiator Pro + Warthog grip - TM Warthog throttle - VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV - PC360 - TrackIR5 - Monster Tech table mounts

#16 RFG_Hisl

RFG_Hisl
  • Founder

Posted 19 December 2016 - 17:23

But sadly still the microphon noise. :dry:

#17 Matt

Matt
  • Founder

Posted 19 December 2016 - 17:54

Yes, but that one is far less annoying than the constant radio chatter.

i5-4670k - GTX 970 - 8GB DDR3 - Windows 10 - VKB Gladiator Pro + Warthog grip - TM Warthog throttle - VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV - PC360 - TrackIR5 - Monster Tech table mounts

#18 [VF-84]Karetaker

[VF-84]Karetaker

Posted 19 December 2016 - 18:17

Thank you Matt...simple enough...and I will try doing so prior to my next flight.  But, now I have another question...(My apologies to TazMan for hi-jacking his thread.)

Since we need to re-name a folder to get rid of radio chatter, both message and audio, (I assume the folder change will take care of both) that must mean that there is no current check box or other "switch" to toggle it on and off. Second, can I use this folder name change option to silence or get rid of other, non-desirable traits of the sim...like the points screen TazMan referenced, or the message that pops up every time someone enters/leaves the server?

Much appreciated.

#19 Matt

Matt
  • Founder

Posted 19 December 2016 - 19:00

In the flight interface option menu, you can disable multiplayer messages, kill messages, the technochat messages and things like that. If you want to just get rid of everything, you can just press the "H" key.

You can't get rid of the point screen though. But i don't think it's gonna survive the next year, i'm pretty sure it will be replaced by a more useful and appropriate statistic screen.

Edited by Matt, 19 December 2016 - 19:02.

#20 216th_LuseKofte

216th_LuseKofte
  • Founder

Posted 19 December 2016 - 23:32

Rename your ..\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Audio\radio\ folder to something else (like radiox or something) and you will no longer hear the radio sounds.

Much better just to put a (-) (minus) in front of folder name, this will unable the pc to read the folder. and you can regret the choice by removing it later

49efc10c-c436-418c-9fbd-9cffdcfaff3d_zps

#21 [VF-84]Karetaker

[VF-84]Karetaker

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:02

Thanks again Matt. I will go through my settings again and verify...but I thought I had done all I could to hide everything.  If there is some type of new statistics type screen in the future, I hope to have the ability to hide that as well!

LuseKofte, good idea on the minus to rename a folder. I will be doing so before next flight.

#22 Nic727

Nic727

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:44

About the points in multiplayers, I have nothing against it, but for the moment its useless because points are nowhere. You see how much kills/death/destroyed objects, but no points.

Also, what is planned for the future of multiplayers?

#23 Cybermat47

Cybermat47
  • Founder

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:47

Flight simulators are a genre of video games.

P3u0DtN.jpg
"Stalin's fortress on fire! Is this madness or hell? The sound of the mortars, the music of death! We're playing the devil's symphony! Our violins are guns! Conducted from hell! Oh Stalingrad!"

- From Stalingrad by Sabaton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users