Yak-1b (Series 127) skins

I've been working on it but still need to tweak the mouth and make that specific camo bands. Life has been tearing me away the last couple of days.

LOL! I just decided to do de la Poype's Yak myself :lol: Looking forward to seeing your take on it as well.

It's obviously still very early WIP, but I think I got the shark mouth down alright.

post-13181-0-20367800-1481117392_thumb.jpg

The different profile drawings can't seem to agree on a number of things about this aircraft. I'm going with a yellow tip on the spinner (not yet visible while prop is turning) the number "white 24" (apparently this aircraft is no. 24, while Durand's - the one with the distinctive "long" shark mouth - is no. 11) and then I picked a camo band pattern from one of the drawings as a starting point for creating my own.

Later I will put some stars with black outlining on it as well. And of course the French roundel.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 2

3 GIAP KBF Yak-1b, "Red 24" was thought to belong to Lt. Kucherov during the summer of 1943.

31404912716_19cf6384c9.jpg

EDIT: Sorry, had to change the thickness of the numbers.  Hopefully it's better.

31116135730_4d0d299fcc_z.jpg

31116135230_386ed02c5f_z.jpg

For most updated Download link see this thread:  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/26456-yak-1b-series-127-skins/?p=467922

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95
  • Upvote 3

Is this OK? I think it's quite a nice scheme.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwf3tvrsggkzqym/Yak1Bs127_Polish13.dds?dl=0

attachicon.gifPolish.jpg

You need to fix the camo pattern. I'd probably try and find a real photo of the aircraft as well. I'd show you one but here at work we can't attach images with these computers. Nice start, just needs a tweak or two.

To avoid any conflicts, I'm currently working on "Za Nikolaya" , Merkulov's Yak-7B as a Yak-1B.

The Blue will change, Number (22) and lettering to add and the fus stars need moving backwards.

attachicon.gifMerkulov.jpg

Please publish this version, but without the little stars under the cab.
These small stars symbolize aerial victories, and when there is no sufficient confidence in his experience fighter wearing these values are not korrektno.Pust leather version of the IAP has 3 regiment, but without assigning aerial victories.

You need to fix the camo pattern.

No, I really don't.

Please publish this version, but without the little stars under the cab.
These small stars symbolize aerial victories, and when there is no sufficient confidence in his experience fighter wearing these values are not korrektno.Pust leather version of the IAP has 3 regiment, but without assigning aerial victories.

The profile I was working from shows those 15 stars.

• Haha 1

Hi guys/fellow pilots/skinners. Any 1 perhaps to consider this 1?

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/24806-your-skin-suggestions-yak-1b/?do=findComment&comment=382145

White 5 of 427 IAP, lt. P.M.Chuvelev. Airfield Sokolniki, August 1943. 

I actually though this 1 would be a definite in the official skins.

Much appreciated and they look great.....

• Upvote 1

Hi guys/fellow pilots/skinners. Any 1 perhaps to consider this 1?

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/24806-your-skin-suggestions-yak-1b/?do=findComment&comment=382145

White 5 of 427 IAP, lt. P.M.Chuvelev. Airfield Sokolniki, August 1943.

I actually though this 1 would be a definite in the official skins.

Much appreciated and they look great.....

I'll take that one after I finish de la Poype's.

Did anyone manage to put a star on the spinner, a star that goes beyond the small central Tip?

1_32.jpg

i am trying something like this but the 5 star arms on 3 sheets of texture =1,666 arms per texture = so and so many pixels, and it still does not even remotely line up...

That ship has me going suka bliad all the time.
I cannot wrap my head around it.

:-(

Did anyone manage to put a star on the spinner, a star that goes beyond the small central Tip?

1_32.jpg

i am trying something like this but the 5 star arms on 3 sheets of texture =1,666 arms per texture = so and so many pixels, and it still does not even remotely line up...

That ship has me going suka bliad all the time.

I cannot wrap my head around it.

:-(

That's gotta be trial and error with heavy use of the skin viewer. That's how I got the sharkmouth to wrap around the chin radiator despite it being made up of four pieces that all warp in different directions.

Using the wireframe layer also helps.

Edited by Finkeren

Wireframe is one of my best friends.

Fact that one sheet of texture will be used for the fast spinning prop makes the endeavour almost useless and proportionally... a waste of time.

There i don't see the problem. Obviously the star won't appear as a star on the spinning prop but as a red circle that fades out towards the edges. The spinning prop should be easy to do. Edited by Finkeren

No, you don't... But it's a perfectly valid criticism and it would go a mile for the quality of your skin to take advice from one of the more prevalent skinmakers in this community.

but then i guggest the criticism be delivered ina different kind of tone.

"you need to" is a bit too strong for a suggestion.

and that piece for "prevalent"... does it really matter? are we creating VIP´s now, whose voice have more than average weight?

LOL!

He made a choice of camo scheme. If you like the result, download. If not... hat coat door?

Edited by Yakdriver
  • Upvote 4

LOL! I just decided to do de la Poype's Yak myself :lol: Looking forward to seeing your take on it as well.

Yes I've been reworking the whole thing as there are many contradictory profiles out there. I'm going by the three available photographs for the nose art and the rest is anyone's guess.

Yes I've been reworking the whole thing as there are many contradictory profiles out there. I'm going by the three available photographs for the nose art and the rest is anyone's guess.

Boris, if you're interested, there is a lengthy discussion about the paint job on this particular aircraft, as well as a few extra pictures, to be found here: http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=2100.0 

The consensus seems to be, that the plane was at some point covered in a winter distemper, which was scrubbed down and the plane partially repainted in a very unusual pattern and had one or more panels exchanged. 

If you seek to recreate the skin, as close as possible to the historical one, this might be useful. Personally, I don't think I'll do that to mine. I'll just create it, as it would have looked, if it had been freshly painted in spring 1943.

My take on de la Poype's Yak-1b from the Normandie squadron in mid-43 is ready.

I deliberately copied one of the non-historic camo patterns given on one of the many different profile drawings of this plane. I didn't try to reconstruct the original, haphazard (and quite frankly: very ugly) paint job, and for the same reason I have not made an attempt to include the remains of the winter distemper, which most reconstructions put on the nose, but which probably covered large parts of the aircraft. View this as a semi-historical skin, mainly showcasing the IMHO very cool sharkmouth design.

post-13181-0-82483700-1481318353_thumb.jpg post-13181-0-35427400-1481318367_thumb.jpg

Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/iii7ffowfawagy7/Yak1Bs127_de_la_poype.dds

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 8

My take on de la Poype's Yak-1b from the Normandie squadron in mid-43 is ready.

I deliberately copied one of the non-historic camo patterns given on one of the many different profile drawings of this plane. I didn't try to reconstruct the original, haphazard (and quite frankly: very ugly) paint job, and for the same reason I have not made an attempt to include the remains of the winter distemper, which most reconstructions put on the nose, but which probably covered large parts of the aircraft. View this as a semi-historical skin, mainly showcasing the IMHO very cool sharkmouth design.

attachicon.gifYak-1b_poype1.jpg attachicon.gifYak-1b_poype2.jpg

Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/iii7ffowfawagy7/Yak1Bs127_de_la_poype.dds

Good job buddy!

Finally done with Chuvelev's red-nosed reindeer as requested by Chandalier1969/LukeFF.

post-13181-0-32542400-1482003091_thumb.jpg post-13181-0-55329600-1482003104_thumb.jpg

post-13181-0-03968800-1482003669_thumb.jpg post-13181-0-47123100-1482003688_thumb.jpg

It took quite a while due to a lot of trial-and-error fidgeting to get everything to line up. The white stripes alone run across four different parts of the skin, each at its own angle to the others, to speak nothing of that eagle figure  :wacko: Still I like the end result a lot.

Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/w9boq5986461rm6/Yak1Bs127_Chuvelev.dds

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 6

So, i liked the red star white flash of the 3rd IAK.
And besides "white 21" for which i found a profile online, i wanted to have at least a handful of them, because a War is not won by going Solo.
Serious skins... with one exception. (He heard Metal before it was cool)
Different weathering, partially redone weathering, some have custom alpha channels.

feedback welcome!

3iak_22.jpg

Adelante/Forwards!

20_stalins_falcons.jpg

Stalin´s Falcons!

21_standard.jpg

White 21 - standard (the one that spawned it all)

24_domination.jpg

Domination

25_courage_overcomes_adversity.jpg

25_courage_overcomes_adversity1.jpg

Courage overcomes adversity

27_metal.jpg
27_metal1.jpg

More  Metal - More Weapons!  \m/

29_time.jpg
29_death.jpg

Merciless time (Hourglass) Merciless Death (Scythe)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/oitv52703433x2l/3IAK_Pack.zip

:russian_ru:

• Upvote 4