Seems to me .the game is one sided. Tilted towards the Russian  aircraft, Should you fly any Russian planes and fire on German aircraft , A quick burst sends them down smoking or on fire. Not so if you fly German aircraft.

Russian planes have pieces falling off, black smoke etc. But they keep flying. Some even attempt to land. No way should they survive large burst of 20mm.  I  get to the point it is not worth flying German planes .

Any one else find this to be true ?

First, SirRobin is right. The fighter to beat in this game is the Bf109. Every version has a performance edge against its closest opposition. It's the reason that multiplayer servers are crammed full of Bf109 aces vying for kills while Red team works on objectives at lower levels. That's a different subject matter but its illustrative of which team has the best fighters.

Second, specifics are very important. For example... there may be an issue with MG151/20 explosive rounds not counting on some occasions. We've seen some interesting footage of them sometimes not appearing to do damage but its very speculative and unconfirmed. Its also unwise to generalize aircraft and expect the same outcome. For example, the Bf109 is less damage resistant than the LaGG-3 with its heavier construction. I find the Yak-1 and Bf109 fairly close in damage resistance. The IL-2 can take a beating but then its forward section is entirely armored so its not really surprising.

So no... I can't agree with the thesis. Blue has the best fighters in the Bf109 but its less capable of sustaining damage than its Russian counterparts in the LaGG-3 and La-5 specifically and slightly lesso than the Yak-1. None of that worries me from a historical perspective.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

Seems to me .the game is one sided. Tilted towards the Russian aircraft, Should you fly any Russian planes and fire on German aircraft , A quick burst sends them down smoking or on fire. Not so if you fly German aircraft.

Russian planes have pieces falling off, black smoke etc. But they keep flying. Some even attempt to land. No way should they survive large burst of 20mm. I get to the point it is not worth flying German planes .

No. Just no.

As someone who flies VVS around 80% of the time, I certainly never experienced the rumored better durability of Soviet machines and/or higher damage of their guns. It is simply not there.

And even if it was, it doesn't change the fact, that the Soviet fighters are generally outclassed by their German counterparts.

People who make the claim, that Soviet fighters generally survive long bursts of 20mm fire usually only achieve a fraction of the number of hits they think they do.

One suggestion: Try flying Soviet fighters exclusively online for a week and come back and tell me just how superior they are.

• Upvote 1

As someone who flies 50/50 I find this ..respectfully.. untrue.

We in SvAF flies Luftwaffe on some servers and VVS on others just to get some variation. I have nevered really felt what u describe but rather the opposite: if we want easier kills and better survivability (generally speaking) we fly axis, predominantely 109s, and if we want a challenge we fly allies. Besides beeing an excellent fighter, the 109 F and G series are in comparison a lot easier to handle... more straight forward, very good overall performance and deadly and easier to handle; no "nonsense" with pitch, mixture, radiators and the like. Russian fighters are more demanding and take more skill actually to fly effectively.

It all comes down do how you fly it, tactics and your skill.... use your plane's pros and your opponents mistakes.... use your SA well and you can take down pretty much anything.

As someone who flies VVS around 80% of the time, I certainly never experienced the rumored better durability of Soviet machines and/or higher damage of their guns. It is simply not there.

It is quite clearly there. It may not be obvious, if you fly 80% of the time VVS online, but becomes very obvious when you fly some quick missions from both sides. Also Geramos ran a test and posted a video about it, where there was no doubt about it (well, some deniers tried to invent reasons to invalidate the test anyway).

That being said, in a Bf109 you can avoid being hit at all, so it is definitely worth flying.

Edited by II./JG77_Kemp

Trying to fly a 109 as if it were a sopwith camel tends to be a leading cause of these conversations.

• Upvote 3

The 109 outperforms every Russian fighter by a pretty wide margin.

This blanket statement is getting pretty old.

"The 109"...  there are 4 of them, and there are flight performance envelopes that Russian planes exceed their German counterparts in and vise versa.

Trying to fly a 109 as if it were a sopwith camel tends to be a leading cause of these conversations.

Agreed.

what would freud read into just caring in a sim for the bigger guns :)

• Upvote 2

People who make the claim, that Soviet fighters generally survive long bursts of 20mm fire usually only achieve a fraction of the number of hits they think they do.

This line here I disagree with. You can see the hits very clearly. Big black/grey puffs from Minengeschoss explosions are a very good indicator of a hit.

what would freud read into just caring in a sim for the bigger guns :)

Speaking of Freud, he and later his daughter also studied ťhe psychological mechanism called "denial".

Seems to me .the game is one sided. Tilted towards the Russian  aircraft, Should you fly any Russian planes and fire on German aircraft , A quick burst sends them down smoking or on fire. Not so if you fly German aircraft.

Russian planes have pieces falling off, black smoke etc. But they keep flying. Some even attempt to land. No way should they survive large burst of 20mm.  I  get to the point it is not worth flying German planes .

lol  50 Germans versus 20 Russkis on Randomexpert+ says otherwise.

I agree it is onesided: flying Russian is not worth it.

Oops. i think i did a bad bad bad.

Edited by Yakdriver

I thought it was quite obvious that he was talking about plane durability / gun effectiveness, not balance on a specific multiplayer server.

I thought it was quite obvious that he was talking about plane durability / gun effectiveness, not balance on a specific multiplayer server.

When he opens his post with:

"Seems to me .the game is one sided. Tilted towards the Russian aircraft."

Then no, it's not quite obvious.

there's a thing called the Placebo Effect. i see it all the time...maybe you might be seeing it too :)

Since I learned about confirmation bias, I've started seeing it everywhere.

• Upvote 1

Generally is a good idea to read entire post, though. The main point clearly comes after the first sentence.

And no matter if I read the opening, middle part or ending, it is hard for me to see it referring to balance on Random Expert server.

When you say "the game is one-sided", that's a general statement. He didn't say "the DM is one-sided" or "German guns are too weak".

When you make generalizing statements like that, that's what people are gonna be adressing.

Edited by Finkeren

i sometimes feel like theres a lot of latency involved when the bullets dont take effect , since theres bulletspeeds of 1k m /s  millisec. definetly count on high pings  (i also wondered from day 1 in this game that theres no ping shown in the statspage)

Maybe it was not the best opening from him, because it automatically activated defense mechanisms of some people, but it can be understood as bringing up that something is off in the game ("one sided" as he puts it) and then immediately follows with the specification what is one-sided in his opinion.

but he said he gets to the point where "flying german is not worth it"?

There are tons of players who ... sort of kind of tend to dissagree

What i was really thinking was "Git Gud" but eh...

that woulda been rude.

Edited by Yakdriver

2. This forum is provided by 1C-777 Ltd. as a courtesy and its usage is a privilege and 1C-777 Ltd. reserves the right to ban any member temporarily or permanently for any reason at any time. Any penalties listed below for violations of the rules are guidelines only and forum administration may take additional action if they feel it is warranted. Use of the forum is not connected to usage of the game and access to this forum is not guaranteed to users as a consequence of purchasing the game.

17. Spreading false or harmful information about the product is prohibited and will be deleted by forum administration. Claiming ignorance of the subject to justify harmful or obviously untrue info will not be tolerated.
Violations of this rule will result in the following:

First offense - 1 days ban on entry

20. False claims on future or past decisions and plans of the developers, which are not backed by hyperlinks or other facts are prohibited.
Violations of this rule will result in the following:

First offense - 7 days ban on entry