III/JG52_Necro_v

Sidewinder FFB2 and TrackIR conflict

Hi,

I´ve got a MS Sidewinder FFB2 and TrackIr 4 (software updated). In BoS/BoM I´ve got "stutters" when Trackir and Forcefeedback is used. When I disable FFB, sutters disappears and head movements are very smoth. A curious fact is that if I use Autopilot (I suppose NO INPUT FFB), conflict dissapear.

FPS are 60, all time (via Afterburner)

This problem I also have in RoF, so I thought that this problem was from windows, but in DCS (1.5.5) I haven´t it, it´s very smoth.

Could be a DirectX problem? DCS 1.5 use DX11, while BoS/BoM and RoF, no ...

I´d got this problem too in older machine.

Now I have a good machine, I7-6700K, 16GB RAM, GTX780 3GB. Windows 10, 64bits.

Also, since I changed the computer, I usually have got problems with FFB effects. They are erractics. Sometimes, I modify (in game) some parameters bar (effects or force), and works fine.

Well there you go. I had not linked the FFB to being the issue with stutters. I have just tested it out and can now confirm that FFB is causing the issue exactly in the way Necro describes.

I need to set the camera smoothness to a very high level to remove some of the stuttering while playing ingame.

Thanks Tripwire. Do you use Trackir from Naturalpoint too, or other?.

More ... I´d installed Warthunder to test trackir-FFB in other software that uses Dx11 ... No problem, the view movements are very smoth too, similar to DCS.

Yesterday I record a video with my cellular:

I was getting stutters after the last update.  How I solved it was changing the Settings - Camera - Smoothness to 100%.

The setting effects viewing smoothness as you look around.  I believe the devs made some changes to FFB.  Some wires may have gotten crossed when this happened but the above setting works great for me.

I think it´s a problem with direcx. Meanwhile RoF and Il2-Bos use dx9 (stuttering), DCS and Warthunder gone perfect (using dx11). I hope that dx11 in IL2-BoS gives a solution.

In the meantime I´ll try Smoothness to 100%.

Thanks

Back in old IL2 something similar was happening and it was solved by setting Trackir to run in one core, Try it out maybe it works for you.

CTRL+ALT+DEL, Start task manager, Proceses, Find TracIrs exe , right click and select process affinity mask, click only one box from the logical cores, usually No 2. Of course you can test with any of them.

Thanks for this thread. Couldn't figure out why I was suddenly having stutters. Incorrectly thought it was the video card drivers. Should this be a sticky?

In the meantime I´ll try Smoothness to 100%.

Thanks

Also try it on 0% as a comparison.  When I did I received an incredible amount of stutters.  A short video of the differences of smoothness settings would be great.  I would do one but just don't know how.

I have MSFF2 and i'm using Opentrack but also noticed stutters after last update. I don't like feel of 100 % camera smoothness.

BTW Force Feedback always had humors but now it happens more often than before. I'm talking about losing ff in pitch axis or constant knocking after plane spawn. 

We should inform Devs about it.

Yesterday I tested ffb with other Sidewinder FFB2, one "grey trigger" (mine is "red trigger"). Results are the same stutter :(.

I have MSFF2 and i'm using Opentrack but also noticed stutters after last update. I don't like feel of 100 % camera smoothness.

BTW Force Feedback always had humors but now it happens more often than before. I'm talking about losing ff in pitch axis or constant knocking after plane spawn. 

We should inform Devs about it.

This problem of Stuttering I have always (first was with RoF). About losing and/or incorrects effects and knocking I have got them since I change the machine and install Win10 (may be win10 or new computer with usb3 ports (my sidewinder and trackir are connected to usb2 ports).

I think conflicts trackir/ffb are due to any problem with directx9. I repeat than other games/sims as DCS or Warthunder (dx11) not present this problem. Devs say dx11 will be on next patch, in december.

Also try it on 0% as a comparison.  When I did I received an incredible amount of stutters.  A short video of the differences of smoothness settings would be great.  I would do one but just don't know how.

I´ll make that test and try a video again :D.

Edited by Necro_v

This problem of Stuttering I have always (first was with RoF).

Only after recent patch it got noticeable to me to, one of my colegu (mothns before) was talkin about stutters related to ff on, hi is using external program to center joy together with switched off ff option in game to overcom this issue.

Only after recent patch it got noticeable to me to, one of my colegu (mothns before) was talkin about stutters related to ff on, hi is using external program to center joy together with switched off ff option in game to overcom this issue.

It´s a solution, but not ideal. This way he lose best FFB effects like stall vibration (may be the most important with aerodinamics flow). Anyway, what softare is used by your friend?

Thanks in advance.

It´s a solution, but not ideal. This way he lose best FFB effects like stall vibration (may be the most important with aerodinamics flow). Anyway, what softare is used by your friend?

Thanks in advance.

ForceTest.exe - this is name of this program (attached)

BTW one more thing which is different compared to Force Feedback on and off is the amount of stabiliser travel in percentage to level flight of 109 for given speed  - there is huge difference please check it, i'm aware that there are aerodynamic force in action when FF is on but this could be way to overestimated by the game in reference to stabliser. 

I'm sure you noticed on parked 109 with engine on  that elevator is in different position (leveled) when force feedback is on and ajar down when force feedback is off - this is  becouse of non symmetric center of stick and it is how it should be (prop wash) - but this could also affect unrealistic amount (IMHO) of stabiliser input for level flight compaterd to non FF joys.

ForceTest.zip

Edited by 307_Tomcat

I recently  turned on hyperthreading in UEFI and forgot about it, today i turned it off again  and my problems with stutters are  less visible.

Edited by 307_Tomcat

I recently  turned on hyperthreading in UEFI and forgot about it, today i turned it off again  and my problems with stutters are gone.

I´l try it, but, how does it affect to other aplications like Photoshop, Lightroom, Vegas ... or other simulators like DCS?

I´l try it, but, how does it affect to other aplications like Photoshop, Lightroom, Vegas ... or other simulators like DCS?

I can't answer to your question because i don't own them. If you ask me, imo the trade off if any would be measured in seconds or less so could be insignificant.

I have an i5 processor so I don't think it has hyperthreading capability - so probably not the same issue that I am experiencing.

Yes, it's look like more complicated issue then, maybe dx11 will change that soon.

I recently  turned on hyperthreading in UEFI and forgot about it, today i turned it off again  and my problems with stutters are gone.

Tested. There is improvement, but no definitive :(.

I started TrackIR, set it to run on only one Core. MSFFB2 worked fine after that. Only one night but so far so good.

Edit: Next day problems are back it seems :(

Edited by LLv34_Taku
  • Upvote 1

I started TrackIR, set it to run on only one Core. MSFFB2 worked fine after that. Only one night but so far so good.

Edit: Next day problems are back it seems :(

I believe you know that core setting is not memorized by windows, every time you start trackir you have to set the core. Please test and report back, because if it works it will help others.

• Upvote 1

No I disabled three out of four cores manually before starting the game. Seems like that has nothing to do with FF problems. Not 100% sure though...

I' ve just reinstalled the game , fresh brand new install , after few months without playing , and ...  same problem for me , massive stutter with  track IR  , and yep i' ve got a MS FFB2 and a Tir 5 win 10 pro X64 , fps are excellent but the stutter is awfull ...

Changed process affinity --->    nothing

Hyperthreading has always been disabled on my I7 860 ... stock clock @2.8 / or OC  @ 3.7 no changes...stutttttt

Reinstalled the natural point driver ---> no way ...still stuttering ...

If i disable ffb in settings ---> no stutters ...

And yes it' s a pity , fps receive a massive drop in performance with 2.006 , but this stutt make the game awfull to play .

Edited by -LaFrench-13Nrv

For those new to the issue, use the following workaround for now. Not ideal as it introduces a bit of lag into the head movements, but makes the game playable again.

How I solved it was changing the Settings - Camera - Smoothness to 100%

Unfortunately despite high fps count when there is FF enabled on MSFF2 display image is somehow not smooth (looks unsynced or tearing frames). 

I have the same problem, probably since the game was released...crazy. I hoped so on DX11!

Hardware: TrackIR 5, MSFFB2

Thx for Post, Necro_v

P.S. Please Fix that, DEV's!

Since 2.006 I´ve got the same problem.

Win 10 x64

i7 6770k

16GB RAM

GTX 970

TrackIR 5

FFB 2

Gonna crank the camera smoothness up to 100% and see how this will work for me.

I' ve tested smoothness up to 100 and also back to 0 ...the only thing that it changes is that because the view is goin faster --> the stuttering  is  faster too .... so it is a little less visible , but still here at least on my rig ...and btw it s a nice way to catch a headache ... :(

Edited by -LaFrench-13Nrv

ForceTest.exe - this is name of this program (attached)

BTW one more thing which is different compared to Force Feedback on and off is the amount of stabiliser travel in percentage to level flight of 109 for given speed  - there is huge difference please check it, i'm aware that there are aerodynamic force in action when FF is on but this could be way to overestimated by the game in reference to stabliser. 

I'm sure you noticed on parked 109 with engine on  that elevator is in different position (leveled) when force feedback is on and ajar down when force feedback is off - this is  becouse of non symmetric center of stick and it is how it should be (prop wash) - but this could also affect unrealistic amount (IMHO) of stabiliser input for level flight compaterd to non FF joys.

Downloaded it, but what changes do i make? there are no instructions.

Interesting everybody who has informed details of their system has nVidia's GPU.

I have Gigabyte radeon 290X OC and I haven't any differenties with or without FF.

If others FF2 users would inform also details of their system we would know is it nVidias problem or general problem with all GPU.

I am going to change my GPU next year and if it is nVidias problem I have to think other choice than GTX 1070.

Edited by SFF_Vellu

I wrote my config before, but here is one more:

Sidewinder FFB2 (two, one red trigger and one grey trigger)

Trackir 4

GTX780 3GB, i7-6700K, 16GB RAM.

Windows 10 x64

Downloaded it, but what changes do i make? there are no instructions.

This software is used to test forcefeedback effects. You´ll have to disable FFB in IL2-BOS and open this software. Only mark the first effect to simulate Spring (center return). Obviusly we haven´t REAL FFB effects into the game.

I´m using it sometimes in RoF and BoS ... (I don´t play very much last months :( ).

PD.- Thanks Tomcat :).

ForceTest.exe is a small alternative, no comparison to the original FF.

Too bad! :(

Ever tried to increase the number of prerendered frames to f.g. 6 in NVIDIA settings?

No change. Only thing that partly helps is changing the camera smoothness to 100%. But there are still sutters, just less visible and the game is playable. It is annoying, though.